Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-10-2014, 12:08 PM   #1
one of those

2011 27 FB International
'03 F250 PSD , Airstream summers, Catalac winters
truck bed organizers?

I've been trying the search function on this but not having any luck. I just ordered a folding tonneau cover for the pickup truck. I'm interested to know if anyone can recommend a good organizer to fit under the cover and divide the truck bed into useful sections for things like tools, bicycles, coolers, chairs etc.

Or does everyone with a tonneau cover just frame up their own stuff from milk crates and plywood?
Old 09-10-2014, 12:18 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Holly Lake Ranch , Texas
Gringo

you might find this thread interesting or helpful...

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f463...ps-105413.html

or not... lol

Dana
Goal15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 12:59 PM   #3
Full Time Adventurer

2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA
Goal15, that is part of my plan.

I just purchased and installed the Bakflip G2 for my Ram truck.

But I also have the Ramboxes on my truck.

My personal plans have been to load out my drivers side Rambox with all my recovery/roadside emergency gear & tools. The passenger side I carry extra fluids, and then leave the rest of the space for "other" right now as I'm undecided.

Been thinking of just purchasing one of the slide outs.

To myself it seems like one of the best options. While placing the things I'll use the least towards the front of the truck.

There are a number of truck bed dividers out there also. My Ram came with one of these:

If I don't buy the slide out, I might just pick up a second one off ebay or something and divide my bed into 3 sections.

Most used towards the tail gate, used when camping in the middle, used least often towards the cab.
Old 09-10-2014, 01:13 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

Puyallup , Washington
Truck Bed Organizers & Accessories | DECKED

if you got money to burn:
TruckVault - TruckVault for Your Pickup Truck
srpuywa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 02:41 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
My buddy and I have built a couple based on this thread

Pictures DIY - Bed Storage system for my truck

Out differences include 12" deep and I have left off the last covered section so an ice chest fits down into the box. Up top it was too high to open the lid and grab a drink. I ran a drain hose out the side of the box.
HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 03:26 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2005 28' Safari
formerly of Tustin, Huntington Beach, Dana Point, and Laguna Beach , California
BoldAdventure - that's a sweet-looking lid you have there, and I love those side boxes. I wish my Tundra had something like that. I had three questions:

1. Do you know if a Honda EU-2000 gennie fit under a lid?
2. How much does that slide out cost?
3. Where can I find a slide out? That looks so functional.

Thanks,

Jeff
westcoastas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 03:40 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2005 28' Safari
Ooops... just saw the link from Goal. Thanks, that's some good stuff there! It looks like a Honda gennie would fit under a lid. Damn, I have to admire some of you guys and your DIY abilities. I guess some of that comes with experience from being on the road. Nice job guys!
Old 09-10-2014, 03:54 PM   #8
Full Time Adventurer

Nomadic , USA
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastas View Post
BoldAdventure - that's a sweet-looking lid you have there, and I love those side boxes. I wish my Tundra had something like that. I had three questions:

1. Do you know if a Honda EU-2000 gennie fit under a lid?
2. How much does that slide out cost?
3. Where can I find a slide out? That looks so functional.

Thanks,

Jeff
Ramboxes are very useful. Sold me on them when I saw them in person. I know a lot of 5th wheel guys who get them. Plus they come in both the short bed and long bed, and on the 1/2 tons & 3/4 tons. Smart move Ram.

1.) Yes - On my truck though. Dodge, Ford, Chevy, Toyota, Nissan all have different depths to their beds. They make the Bakflip for all the above too. Check out www.bakfactoryoutlet.com

2.) The ones he posted are pretty pricey. The prices range from 300 to 4000 from what I have seen. I was looking at BEDSLIDE for myself. - A little note, it's a lot like a roof rack. There are cheapo's and then there are ones you can stand in on your roof. That's why the prices vary.

3.) BEDSLIDE is the one I'm a fan of, seen one at a construction site. Heavy duty, had tie downs and stuff.

---------------

The more I think about things though, the more I think I might wait for this mod until I've done some packing/unpacking. I'm still not sure how I'll organize things to start with.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-09-10-17.46.46.jpg
Views:	404
Size:	138.0 KB
ID:	221428  
Old 09-10-2014, 03:58 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2005 28' Safari
Haha Bold! Ask and ye shall deliver! Thanks! I just called my dealer and they sell your lid for $795 plus tax. My Tundra already has a liner in it. Does that need to come out if I get the lid?
Old 09-10-2014, 04:02 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Holly Lake Ranch , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoldAdventure View Post
Goal15, that is part of my plan.

I just purchased and installed the Bakflip G2 for my Ram truck.

But I also have the Ramboxes on my truck.

My personal plans have been to load out my drivers side Rambox with all my recovery/roadside emergency gear & tools. The passenger side I carry extra fluids, and then leave the rest of the space for "other" right now as I'm undecided.

Been thinking of just purchasing one of the slide outs.

To myself it seems like one of the best options. While placing the things I'll use the least towards the front of the truck.

There are a number of truck bed dividers out there also. My Ram came with one of these:

If I don't buy the slide out, I might just pick up a second one off ebay or something and divide my bed into 3 sections.

Most used towards the tail gate, used when camping in the middle, used least often towards the cab.

Just one observation.... put your emergency stuff on the passenger side. That way when you are on the side of the road, rummaging through there for whatever you need at the moment, you are less likely to be exposed to some idiot texting and driving coming along and taking you out. Just a thought!
Goal15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 05:36 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

2004 16' International CCD
Chicagoland , Illinois
The Bedslide looks pretty cool. Unfortunately it is probably pretty useless when a trailer is attached. I would want to get a good one too, but $4K sounds outrageous and difficult to justify.

I'm interested to see what you decide to do.
Airrogant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 06:04 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
How difficult are these prefab systems to remove if you temporarily need the full truck bed for something? We've talked about building something for the truck bed, but these look slick (and expensive but hey, you can't take it with you...). Chris is pretty handy, so I'll have to show him these. Thanks for the ideas everyone!

Kay
Minno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 06:07 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
I like the concept of these storage solutions but not the weight, in addition to the weight you put in it. Particularly half-tons with an Airstream attached, a few very light items in the bed, and passengers just about does it.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 06:11 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minno View Post
How difficult are these prefab systems to remove if you temporarily need the full truck bed for something? We've talked about building something for the truck bed, but these look slick (and expensive but hey, you can't take it with you...). Chris is pretty handy, so I'll have to show him these. Thanks for the ideas everyone!

Kay
Kay,
The DIY one lifts right out. I think we spent about $350 each, including cabinet grade plywood (not my first choice...)
HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 06:43 PM   #15
Full Time Adventurer

Nomadic , USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airrogant View Post
The Bedslide looks pretty cool. Unfortunately it is probably pretty useless when a trailer is attached. I would want to get a good one too, but $4K sounds outrageous and difficult to justify.

I'm interested to see what you decide to do.
Perhaps, but some can't even put the tailgate down with the Airstream attached. That's the benefit of a tonneau over a cap, IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
I like the concept of these storage solutions but not the weight, in addition to the weight you put in it. Particularly half-tons with an Airstream attached, a few very light items in the bed, and passengers just about does it.
I've wondered about the weight myself. Unless it's aluminum and not steel. And even then, aluminum is still going to weight a pretty penny. Even the DIY wood ones are going to be at min a 100lbs or so.

I'm 5'8 and with my truck being a 4x4 I can just barely reach over into the bed. I'm not excited about the idea of always having to crawl up into the bed though. And I really can't understand putting a cap on a truck, filling the back and then digging/crawling over everything to get it out.

I'm pretty sure that what's in my bed is going to be limited to gas can, water can, possibly two gennies and a stroller.
Old 09-10-2014, 07:15 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
We carry a little lightweight aluminum 3-step folding stool, handy for lots of things around the Airstream and you can step right up and into the back of your truck bed with it. And then reach the top of the truck to wash and wax it.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 07:34 PM   #17
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
We have the Bakflip for over 2 years. Love it. It is on our 2012 4x4 diesel Silverado. Even in driving rain there has been little penetration and then only on deck, not in any trays or buckets. I have hauled cardboard boxes in rain by laying down a tarp and stacking on it. I then pushed it forward by adding more boxes and sliding forward. To get the deep boxes out I pull the tarp.

For daily use I have a lock bar in the bed to keep gear near tailgate. Keeps flexibility. I don't have to unhook trailer to access stuff. We also have a tall folding step to access over the sides. I stow the ladder at rear as well.

If looking at permanent solution o really like the post above where guy had the little roller balls.

If I added this setup I would have boxes on either side of center so I can pull out one side or the other.

In order to keep the rig from tipping I would put a board like 2x2 under the truck bed lip down to the base. Beats drilling holes and easy to remove.
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 05:17 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
We bought one of these for our Ram truck at Radco (one of us is short ) It works very well and doesn't require carrying a ladder to access the rear of the truck. It's a little pricey but well worth it. Even the tall person in our relationship likes it. AMP Research FlipDown BedStep 75306-01A

Kay
Minno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 05:21 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2013 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2012 20' Flying Cloud
Small Town , *** Big Sky Country ***Western Montana
We have used the same bed-slide in the last three trucks ... highly recommend!
Terminal Aluminitis; 2-people w/ 3+ dogs
mefly2 is offline   Reply With Quote