Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-31-2008, 05:32 AM   #1
Airstreamin and luvin it
Commercial Member

2005 25' Safari
Northwest Panhandle , The Sunshine State/WBCCI 6637
Transmissions

I had seen this on another forum and thought it was very intresting so I thought I would post it.
Aisin automatic transmissions are manufactured by Aisin Seiki and Aisin AW, formerly known as Aisin-Warner, and which was established in 1969 as a joint venture between Aisin Seiki and BorgWarner. The joint venture terminated in 1987. While Aisin Seiki manufactures a variety of automotive components including automatic transmissions for heavy duty vehicle applications, Aisin AW manufactures automatic transmissions for light vehicle applications, including Hybrid Electric Vehicle powertrains as well as NAV Radio. As of 2005, Aisin AW surpassed General Motors Powertrain Division as the largest producer of automatic transmissions in the world, producing 4.9 million units, with a market share of 16.4% of the global market for automatics.Toyota Motor Corporation and Aisin Seiki are the two major shareholders of Aisin AW with 51.9% and 42% respectively. Aisin AW, which was set up to be the sole source of RWD automatic transmissions to Toyota, subsequently developed FWD/AWD automatic transmissions. Aisin, as one of the major Toyota group suppliers, shares many designs and development activities with Toyota. See Toyota A transmission for a complete list of Toyota/Aisin models. Aisin AW supplies automatic transmissions to 35 automotive manufacturers around the world, virtually every major OEM. These include General Motors, Ford, Mitsubishi, Nissan, Porsche, Audi, VW, Volvo, Hyundai among others.

Devoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 06:15 AM   #2
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
St. Catharines , South Western Ontario
Our three Nissan vehicle use Jatco trannies. The total age of our three vehicles is 30 years and no problems with any of the trannies all those years.

:: JATCO'S TRANSMISSIONS :: HOME
Old 03-31-2008, 06:16 AM   #3
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Greeeneville , Tennessee
Send a message via Yahoo to Silverhobby
Steve, This is a very interesting post. Especially now that I am having some problems with my tow truck's transmission.
visit my restoration blog at:
Silverhobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 06:14 AM   #4
Airstreamin and luvin it
Commercial Member

2005 25' Safari
Tranny

So does this mean that Ford and general motors are using these transmissions from this company?

Found the home page and it shows a company in Michigan and in Illinois.This company makes a lot of stuff for the auto industry.
AISIN

Old 04-09-2008, 06:29 AM   #5
1 Rivet Short

1989 25' Excella
By The Bay , Rhode Island
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devoman
So does this mean that Ford and general motors are using these transmissions from this company?

Not to my knowledge, at least not in anything GM built.
I worked on the GM 4 speed tranny and the new 6 speed joint project (shared by GM and Ford) and have visited 2 GM transmission plants a few years back.
The only vehicles I can think of that may use other trannys (Aisin?) are cars like Vibe (Toyota/GM) or that other little Japanese/Chevy (the name escapes me right now Aveo,Revo something like that).

Bill
Old 04-09-2008, 08:33 AM   #6
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devoman

Found the home page and it shows a company in Michigan and in Illinois.This company makes a lot of stuff for the auto industry.
AISIN

It is my understanding that Ford uses a Eaton Transmission.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 08:08 PM   #7
Airstreamin and luvin it
Commercial Member

2005 25' Safari
Company

I looked into the company a lot more and it seems that it is mostly small to light truck transmissions and a whole lot of other parts.
I did see on one site though that they made tranny parts for the Chevy Silverrado and gears for the Cadillac.most were for Toyota.Honda,Subaru,and a bunch of other overseas vehicles.Just a few like pontiac,and the corvette and a couple more for here.
They are really a huge company.

The really cool thing was the new 8 gear tranny made for the lux suv's.Really neat stuff.

Old 04-09-2008, 09:43 PM   #8
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
If they could build a heavy duty CVT it could be a real benefit, especially for towing. A diesel with a cvt would always be in the proper torque band for maximum pulling power, no shifting of gears.