Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-29-2006, 01:21 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2003 25' Safari
Kissimmee , Florida
Transmission Temperature Gauge

I have purchased a Nordskeg digital transmission temperature gauge and sensor for my 2005 Ford F150. I started the installation this morning.
  • The sensor is easily installed into the left side of the transmission. There is a test port with a plug screwed into it, just remove the plug and screw in the sensor. The sensor is about 1-1/2" long, but there is plenty of room down this hole.
  • I tie-wrapped the sensor wire along a wiring harness up the back of the engine, well away from the exhaust. Left a little slack because the engine/tranny move.
  • Had trouble running the wire into the cab. There is a wiring harness that passes through the firewall behind the engine coolent bottle. However the harness is a very tight fit in it's grommet and an extra wire will not pass through. For now I put the wire between the grommet and firewall - which will certainly chafe the insulation causing a short - I must find another answer. Has anyone done this and have a solution?
  • I had previously mounted the Prodigy brake controller to the metal plate at the bottom left of the driver side dash area - which seems to have been provided for this purpose. Now I'm trying to find a spot for the gauge. I'm thinking that right next to the Prodigy would be good, but there is not enough room to mount to the metal plate. Ideas?
  • I'm looking for ideas on where to tap into the truck wiring for:
    • switched power
    • ground (this should be easy)
    • a power lead related to the headlights, which when activated will dim the digital display.
I have attached photos of the sensor installed in the transmission, the wire in the engine compartment, the wire coming through the firewall into the drivers footwell area (temporarily coiled and tied off), and the Prodigy.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1463 (Small).JPG
Views:	173
Size:	37.7 KB
ID:	18002   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1466 (Small).JPG
Views:	134
Size:	52.7 KB
ID:	18003  

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1465 (Small).JPG
Views:	140
Size:	55.5 KB
ID:	18004   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1464 (Small).JPG
Views:	160
Size:	48.9 KB
ID:	18005  

Old 01-29-2006, 01:56 PM   #2
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Dan,
My favorite place of gauges in the Fords is on the left "A" pillar. They make several types of pods for any where from 1-4 gauges. Gives it a nice factory look. You can try and take a small wooden dowel to try and force a gap in the factory grommet/wiring to make room for just one more. IIRC I tapped into one of the radio feeds for switched power on one truck. On the other there was an unused fuse that was switched and used it to power auxilliary gauges off of.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote