Old 08-27-2009, 11:02 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, I had a wonderful Ford Explorer. I bought it brand new at the Ford dealer I was working at, at the time. Parts replaced in 93,000 miles: 2 synchonizers, 2 thermostats, 1 valve cover gasket, 1 idler pully, 1 belt, 1 set of brake pads, and one set of tires. But when it was time to buy our trailer, I sold my Explorer and bought my Lincoln / tow vehicle.

Explorer tow rating..........5,000 lbs.

Lincoln tow rating...........8,900 lbs.

Safari GVWR..................6,300 lbs.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	My Picture CD 149 (Large).jpg
Views:	54
Size:	151.2 KB
ID:	86209   Click image for larger version

Name:	My Picture CD 124 (Large).jpg
Views:	54
Size:	141.2 KB
ID:	86212  

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 02:38 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Oak View , California
Yes, my Explorer woes are definitely rated lower than the bear problems. Maybe after all the responses I got for my bear story, I should come up with a new forum name for myself. How about "Grizzly Girl"?

I must say the Explorer certainly did her best for many years for me with minimum repairs, even got me to and from Montana, along with surviving a side swipe crash from an idiot in Salt Lake City who decided to pass me going down an onramp to the freeway, ripping off my left trailer extension mirror and putting a large dent in my fender, but thank god, not touching the Airstream. She even pulled me, after that trip, up and down the most hair raising road in terms of vertical gradients to get the Airstream onto the ranch for a year long rest, before the tranny kicked the bucket.
Since my mechanic put the tranny back in order and a friend brought my Airstream back home, I am hoping to sell the Explorer and maybe go for a Suburban a friend of a friend is thinking of selling. Any words of wisdom on their towing capabilities with my Tradewind?

Carol

Old 08-28-2009, 09:16 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS View Post
Hi, I won't disagree with the fact that most of the turn-ins were Ford Explorers and F-150's If you don't disagree that F-150's were the top selling vehicles for many years , not to mention Ford sold 400,000 Explorers per year since conception! Makes sense to me.
I agree F-150's have been top sellers for many years and still are. Other vehicles have sold a lot too and aren't on that list. Glad the Explorer worked for you.

Carol, Robert Cross loves his Suburban and tows happily with it. Don't know if it's the same one you are interested in. Check the weight distributing hitch receiver assembly for cracks and rust as some GM hitch receivers have had problems.

Gene
Old 08-28-2009, 12:21 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Oracle , Arizona
I too towed with a '98 Explorer Sport, (3200# pop-up) traded at 108K miles. Changed out the shocks, battery, brake pads and that's about it. It really worked well considering all the offroad boondocking we did for almost 5 years.
Old 08-28-2009, 01:27 PM   #19
Iwannagocamping

1979 31' Sovereign
Rineyville , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post
I agree F-150's have been top sellers for many years and still are. Other vehicles have sold a lot too and aren't on that list. Glad the Explorer worked for you.

Carol, Robert Cross loves his Suburban and tows happily with it. Don't know if it's the same one you are interested in. Check the weight distributing hitch receiver assembly for cracks and rust as some GM hitch receivers have had problems.

Gene
Yes, but MOST of those vehicles with high sales numbers did not qualify as "clunkers" because they already got over 18mpg. probably more camrys on the road then any other car, but by the .gov definition, they will NEVER be clunkers. there were several hoops to jump through for your vehicle to be a clunker. every vehicle my brother has (6) is a hoopty clunker, but not one of them qualified (not that he would buy a new car anyways...lol) for trade in as a "clunker"

on topic... Our friends tow a 26' SOB with a 1500 'burb 4x4, '05 well loaded, they love it, and it seems to to well.

Just the photos.. (sometimes you don't need the blog, just a picture worth a thousand words..)

1979 Sovereign International
2004 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer
2 Golden Retrievers

Air #36788
TAC#3179
WBCCI #1265
Dakota's Dad is offline   Reply With Quote