Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-24-2008, 12:56 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Missouri City , Texas
Transmission cooler 2008 Suburban.

My new 2008 Suburban does not have the transmisson cooler, I though it did, but no. It has the "tow package" but thats just the wireing harness, and receiver. My 2004 Suburban with the Tow Package had the cooler.

So I need one for my 31'A/S. Any one had the OME installed at the dealership. Whats the cost. What about through a transmission shop. Thanks for the input.

Don
adonh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 01:56 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1999 27' Safari
Kent , Ohio
I would want one. I am surrprised. I traded in my chevy a few years ago and said I would never go back. I have always had good luck with Fords. There tow packages include tranny and oil coolers power steering cooler. heavy duty springs / shocks and a built in brake controller and mirrors. of course hitch and wireing for both 7 prong and 4 flat. Right off the lot I can hook to a trailer with no other mods. once again. I would want one, and question if the tranny is beefy enough and what rear end. If its the 10 bolt. forget it I rebuilt mine 3 times in 150000 miles.Cooler install see a Camper shop or local repaire shop is what you can do, cost will depend on size. get a big one, some come with stages for when it gets hot capacity goes up, also flat core replaced old round with fins. flattening out the fluid gives it more surface to cool fluid.
mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 02:02 PM   #3
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Run'n cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by adonh View Post
My new 2008 Suburban does not have the transmisson cooler, I though it did, but no. It has the "tow package" but thats just the wireing harness, and receiver. My 2004 Suburban with the Tow Package had the cooler.

So I need one for my 31'A/S. Any one had the OME installed at the dealership. Whats the cost. What about through a transmission shop. Thanks for the input.

Don

http://www.bmracing.com/s.nl/c.72308...tegory.6173/.f

The cost of an installation at a dealer would most likely be twice what it would cost at a speciality shop. The link above is probably the best aftermarket cooler.
I can't ever recall installing one at the dealer I work at. Do some research there are a lot of options in the aftermarket.

Is your Burb a 3/4 or 1500? I just checked the Chev web site the 3/4 should have the trans cooler. I know our 06 does.
Old 08-24-2008, 02:16 PM   #4

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Is your Suburban a 2500? According to the Chevrolet website, the engine oil cooler and the transmission oil cooler are standard on the 3/4 ton Suburban. On 1500's (half tons) the transmission oil cooler is optional, but required with the 4.10 rear axle ratio. The engine oil cooler is not available on the 1500.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 02:17 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
My Suburban C20 does not have one

Your transmission is already cooled by the engine radiator.

There is a possibility that your Suburban's radiator was sized for heavy-duty transmission cooling.

This forum is great, but since it seems you want another cooler, you might want to ask your dealership why an additional cooler was not part of the tow package.

Read this thread first: http://www.airforums.com/forums/f159...ler-31254.html

Tom
TomW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 03:02 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Missouri City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomW View Post
Your transmission is already cooled by the engine radiator.

There is a possibility that your Suburban's radiator was sized for heavy-duty transmission cooling.

Tom

Thanks. It is the 1500 with the regular rear end. The same setup I had with my 2004. I tow in the low lands.

There is a temp gauge built in to the instrument panel along with tire pressure for all 4 tires. Just scroll through the options. What temp level should I be concerned with when towing.

The synthetic transmission fluid option sounds like a good idea. What brand and when would I want to change to it. I have about 1500 miles on the truck now.

Thanks Don
Old 08-24-2008, 03:18 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2019 23' International
La Habra , California
We ought a 08 Tahoe and it has the tow package. It is an option that cost 195 dollars. It includes the 3:73 rear end and a HD Trans oil cooler. I had to look hard for this option on a 2 wd Tahoe. Your 08 Suburban sounds like it did not come with this option. Having a rear hitch does not mean you have a trailering package, they all come with a rear hitch. My sales person told me that they all come with a trailer package, he now knows they don't.
What rear end ratio do you have with your Suburban?
My moto is trust but verify. Most sales people dont know what they are selling sadly.
subfan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 04:09 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
Actually, its academic

Quote:
... What temp level should I be concerned with when towing. ...
Your truck's computer is pre-programmed to protect your transmission. Should you tow foolishly, your truck will flash a message to slow down. Should you disregard the request, the computer will not allow two or more cylinders to fire in an effort to shunt torque to the transmission.

Your owner's manual provides relative temperature points at which this activity will occur.

In some respects, I dare you to overheat your transmission; I don't think the computer will allow it.

Tom
TomW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 04:12 PM   #9
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
The factory cooler is ok IMHO. Since yours doesn't have one, adding a B&M is not a bad idea. They are great coolers. At some point I may pull the factory one and add a more stout one. Not that I get past the 200 degree mark on the trans temp gauge, but I did hit 195, which is still ok, but I like it closer to 175 when towing.

One thing to also know is that GM typically puts the cooling oil/water then oil/air before it gets back to the trans. Our 1985 Suburban 3/4 ton parked at 210 degrees. My 2004 does too. So, it is possible that any trans using this config **could** be taking on some heat from the engine, which is a good thing for winter driving, but with synthetic, somewhat moot since it has great flow abilities at very low temps . What really gets me is that GM started putting the cooler behind the Chevy emblem. Not the best of ideas IMHO. Put it in a place that gets some good airflow. Way to go GM engineering.

I use Amsoil extended life oil in the engine and Amsoil ATF and differential fluids. Was using Mobil 1 for years, but Amsoil IMHO is just great stuff.
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 04:54 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1999 27' Safari
Kent , Ohio
I was thinking also you could take the VIN number to your dealer or any dealer and they can do an AQAROUS. (pull the build sheet) fancy term hu. The build sheet will tell everything you will ever need and a great Idea for later repaires. My chevy s build sheet was 6 pages long. It even gave dates when it went to custom shop and specs on alternator, wireing harness numbers. It was a wealth of information Kind of like these forums are . You would do your self good to get it. and its FREE.
mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 05:12 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2008 23' International CCD
Nashville , Tennessee
I have an 07 Avalanche LTZ , I had the factory auxillary transmission cooler installed at the dealership and was charged 1 hour labor the part cost $91.00. The reason I had the cooler installed was because of my trip out west last year, while going up some major grades the transmission temps got up to 248 don't care to see that temp again so hopefully this cooler will help. The aux transmission cooler part number is 19171483.
wilkeytn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 01:19 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Missouri City , Texas
Quote:
Your truck's computer is pre-programmed to protect your transmission. Should you tow foolishly, your truck will flash a message to slow down. Should you disregard the request, the computer will not allow two or more cylinders to fire in an effort to shunt torque to the transmission.

Your owner's manual provides relative temperature points at which this activity will occur.

In some respects, I dare you to overheat your transmission; I don't think the computer will allow it.

Tom
I have a short trip planned over the labor day weekend to our local A/S rally in Schulenburg TX. About 100 miles round trip with the highest grade being the entry ramp to I-10. I will check the temp and see what I am running. I could not find anything on what the transmission temp should be. I can't put my hand on the owners manual. I had it last week hooking up the Jordan bake controller so it must be between here and the garage.I probably will get an aux transmission cooler installed when I get back. The B&M models look good. I would rather have someone here in the Houston area install it. Any suggestions.

Thanks for the input.

Don
Old 08-25-2008, 03:00 PM   #13
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Thumbs up Tranny hot info

Quote:
I have a short trip planned over the labor day weekend to our local A/S rally in Schulenburg TX. About 100 miles round trip with the highest grade being the entry ramp to I-10. I will check the temp and see what I am running. I could not find anything on what the transmission temp should be. I can't put my hand on the owners manual. I had it last week hooking up the Jordan bake controller so it must be between here and the garage.I probably will get an aux transmission cooler installed when I get back. The B&M models look good. I would rather have someone here in the Houston area install it. Any suggestions.

Thanks for the input.

Don
B&M is the best choice, a specialty performance shop or a reputable truck repair center in your area would be a good choice. On our 95 Burb I installed a remote trans filter with TEMP GAGE, again from B&M. Check there web site. I know they offer one without the gage.

Word....this info comes from the OM for an 06 3/4 Burb, but I think it would apply the same for yours.
Normal op range 180 to 200*F. At 265 a DIC message will say TRANSMISSION HOT.The trans. enters a protection mode and you may notice a change in shift patterns,it will return to normal when the temp returns to 260. If the fluid reaches 275 or greater the driver info center will display a TRANS HOT IDLE warning message and a chime will sound. Pull vehicle off the road,set park brake put trans in park and allow the engine to idle until the temp falls below 260.

If you PM me with your VIN I can get a build sheet at work.

Hope this clears things up for you.

Stream Safe

Bob.
Old 08-25-2008, 05:05 PM   #14
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
as odd as it sounds the better package to order is the "snow plow prep package"

you get:

tranny cooler
engine oil cooler
oversized air cleaner
big radiator
165 amp alternator
2nd battery
and a extra circuit switched at the dash for a strobe light on the roof.

i think it was under 200 bucks when i got our silverado.

john
Old 08-25-2008, 05:44 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Missouri City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by john hd View Post

you get:

tranny cooler
engine oil cooler
oversized air cleaner
big radiator
165 amp alternator
2nd battery

john
I kie the strobe light.

But what does it cost to install all of this.

Don
Old 08-25-2008, 06:02 PM   #16
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by john hd View Post

you get:

tranny cooler
engine oil cooler
oversized air cleaner
big radiator
165 amp alternator
2nd battery

john
John, Is your Silver a 1500?

I'll check at work tommorow, I don't know for sure if the plow pkg. is still available on the 1500's. We have had quite a lot of problems w/plows on the 1/2ton p/u.
Old 08-25-2008, 06:14 PM   #17
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
nope, 2000 2500HD.

no doubt plowing snow is the quickest way to destroy a perfectly good vehicle! my current plow truck is a 98 4x4 1500 ex cab with a 6.5 turbo diesel. (try finding one of those on a used lot!)

adonh, i think it would be very expensive as a add on. the time to get it is when you order a new truck.

i would just add the largest affordable oil cooler you can find.

i towed with a regular half ton chevy for years and did just fine.

you will be fine for 100 mile trip, just run it in 3rd and you won't overheat the tranny. (more rpms=more fluid transfer and cooling)

john
Old 08-25-2008, 06:35 PM   #18
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
[quote=john hd;608123]nope, 2000 2500HD.

i would just add the largest affordable oil cooler you can find

you will be fine for 100 mile trip, just run it in 3rd and you won't overheat the tranny. (more rpms=more fluid transfer and cooling)

john[/quote

What John said....stay out of drive, and install the best cooler you can talk the DW into
Old 08-25-2008, 07:10 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member

Adonh, I just purchased a 08 Avalanche ( Same as your Suburban) and the dealer quoted a price of $350.00 plus labor for the GM Transmission cooler. The problem I have with using a B&M or equivalent product would be future warranty issues. Have you tried wiring your brake controller yet?
dano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 07:22 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1967 28' Ambassador
1963 19' Globetrotter
1970 29' Ambassador
Waukesha , Wisconsin
Quote:
Your truck's computer is pre-programmed to protect your transmission...In some respects, I dare you to overheat your transmission; I don't think the computer will allow it.
Tom... this sound like a truck for Cursh.
https://byamcaravanner.blogspot.com/
byamcaravanner is offline   Reply With Quote