Old 04-22-2009, 06:38 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
Well, just to post the update. I don't have the van back yet, but the shop found the following, good and bad.

The good - for some reason, the driveshaft seems to have moved out of alignment, causing a vibration. They shimmed it and seemed to fix it.

The bad - the bellhousing, tranny case seal (I believe) is leaking under pressure. He mentioned that it may not be worth the money to pull the tranny to fix it, but, it could "blow out" with a rapid dump of tranny fluid if not fixed. Thinking of Dennis's post above... I didn't want to risk the transmission failing on a trip due to a seal, so, $1200 later (all new seals), it will be fixed.

Today they called to tell me that everything looks ok inside (bands, bearings, etc) - so all in all not too bad. I'll get another year or two out of it, so I can decide what the new (old) t.v. will be.

I'll find out if that vibration / sound really is gone after I pick it up tomorrow. Thanks for all the help!
Marc

Old 04-23-2009, 08:31 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
Van's back, tranny is freshly serviced, sound is GONE! And, my wallet is 1,100 dollars lighter... but MUCH cheaper than a new transmission.. and should last for a while now too. You know, the shop could've told me that I needed a new one, or a complete rebuild, but they were completely honest, and friendly folks. Nice to see a clean shop as well. Two thumbs up for Kirkland Transmission!

Thanks guys!
Marc