Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-11-2004, 09:00 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2005 28' International CCD
Pagosa Springs , Colorado
Trailer wgt, tow ability for next TV

Below is the weight of a 2005 28' CCD w/max fluids and options. I did not add supplies/groceries, all the personal stuff for living/camping. I'm getting a new tow vehicle and trying to determine which engine to go with. The 2005 Suburban 2500 4WD with quadrasteer has a max trailer wt. of 7,300 lbs. Subtract the weight below and that gives me a margin of 584 lbs for the supplies, etc. before I've hit the max wt listed for that Suburban and the CCD as well. I can get a larger engine (8.1 liter, more gas) and then I have 9,900 lbs towing capacity. I realize I won't be towing with full tanks, but any advice on whether the bigger engine ($1,000 option) is necessary to tow this would be most welcome. Thank you.

Trailer Base Wt 5,461
Convection Microwave 47
Entertainment Package 40
Skylight-galley w/shade 11
Spare Tire w/bracket 64
Stoneguard 3-pc 41
Vent w/thermostat bdrm 11
Window awnings 100
Wrap protectors 28
Propane tanks full 60
Water tank full 273
Black/Gray tanks full 560
Guinness 20
Cargo- all other ?

TOTAL 6,716

Tin Hut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2004, 09:21 AM   #2
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
I do not have a TV anymore, I am in a MH, but you asked.............

FWIW I have never heard anyone complain about having too much horsepower when towing.

The additional 1K will likely pay off in lower long term maintenance costs (engine will not have to work as hard) and also be a more relaxing vehicle to tow with.

If you are planning on crossing the rockies you will lose a fair amount of HP as you climb so having extra to start with will help.

If you suffer form the typical affliction we all seem to have and decide to go longer (upgrade) you will be able to keep the same TV, minimizing the upgrade costs.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2004, 09:34 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1984 31' Excella
Abernathy , Texas
Just my 2 cents.....I would and did go with diesel...GMC K2500 Duramax Crew Cab, with hard shell tonneau cover. I get 20 mpg solo and 11 towing a 31 ft Airstream at 70 mph.
The tow vehicle hardly knows the trailer is behind it.
Diesel is cheaper than gas.
Diesel engines last better than gas.
Diesel engines operate more economically than gas miles per gallon.
Like I said....just my 2 cents...
dscluchfc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2004, 09:43 AM   #4
Rivet Master

diesel

Unfortunately, diesel is not an option in the Suburban for the near term and we need the Sub for hauling family, dogs, etc.

Old 06-11-2004, 09:44 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Putnam , Connecticut
To bad GM doesn't put an oil burner in the Subs anymore or let you get the Quad with an 8L. Don't see how you would be happy with 6L and that much weight off the flats. The Ford Excursion, which I think is being discontinued, does have a diesel option.
Actually I think you end up spending less with the 8L because you cann't get the Quad steering which is about 1200 plus another 1200 or more for the suspension upgrade, no?
Over59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2004, 09:46 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

Tin Hut,

ALWAYS opt for the larger engine! You can never have too much power! Besides, as mentioned already, it will make your towing experience that much more relaxing.

Tripp
Tripp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2004, 10:04 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1984 31' Excella
Abernathy , Texas
I looked VERY hard at the Ford Excursion with the PowerStroke Diesel engine.
The decision to go with the Duramax 4 door 4x4 pickup was twofold:

1) I figured that people in leathered comfort, and the cargo in back made sense.
2) I rationalized that a 4x4 diesel pickup would have more value in resale in farm country much moreso than a used SUV with 300,000 miles on it.

I know that there are some options in bed shells that utilize a connection between the cab and bed shell by replacing the back window with this connection to make the bed area available to the cab passengers. Many rodeo people use such customizing optional equipment for the road.
You might want to investigate such options for a pickup, and you might seriously investigate the Ford Excursion with the diesel option...I very nearly bought one of those.
Old 06-11-2004, 10:28 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Trailer wgt, tow ability

Greetings Tin Hut!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Hut
Below is the weight of a 2005 28' CCD w/max fluids and options. I did not add supplies/groceries, all the personal stuff for living/camping. I'm getting a new tow vehicle and trying to determine which engine to go with. The 2005 Suburban 2500 4WD with quadrasteer has a max trailer wt. of 7,300 lbs. Subtract the weight below and that gives me a margin of 584 lbs for the supplies, etc. before I've hit the max wt listed for that Suburban and the CCD as well. I can get a larger engine (8.1 liter, more gas) and then I have 9,900 lbs towing capacity. I realize I won't be towing with full tanks, but any advice on whether the bigger engine ($1,000 option) is necessary to tow this would be most welcome. Thank you.

TOTAL 6,716
I don't think that you would ever regret going with the larger motor. While both of my most recent GM tow vehicles pre-date the current redesign, there are evidently some similarities. My current tow vehicle is a '99 K2500 Suburban with the 7400 VORTEC and 4.10 Differentials with the heavy duty 10,000 pound trailer towing package - - it is a fantastic towing rig and now has more than 129,000 miles with only regular service and a few minor maintenance issues (one set of brakes, 2 sets of tires, idler arm, tie rod ends, lower ball joints, and a water pump) it has been a superb vehicle that has met my every expectation.

The Suburban was preceeded by a '95 K1500 Z-71 Chevrolet club cab pickup. It had the 5.7 Liter V8 with 3.73 differentials, and a 6,500 pound trailer towing package. This tow vehicle rated next to the bottom in terms of satisfactory performance - - only my first new tow vehicle (a Pontiac Bonneville) was less satisfactory than the pickup (I am not nor ever will be a fan of pickups). The truck was at its limits with the Overlander (6,100 pounds gross weight), and it gave me a terrible fright going through the Eisenhower Tunnel on I-70 when it was down below 20 MPH in first gear - - it was traded immediately upon return from that trip!

I believe that you would find the C/K 2500 Suburban with the 8100 V8 to be a fantastic tow vehicle. If the currrent models are anything like my experience, the larger engine with get far better towing mileage than the smaller engine - - my 7400 VORTEC exceeds the fuel economy of the previous K1500 pickup under all conditions by at least 2 to 4 MPG.

Good luck with your decision!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2004, 11:13 AM   #9
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
I'd say if you tow a whole lot, the bigger engine, definitely.
If you tow only sometimes, then the bigger engine will eat a lot more gas if you're using it as a daily driver.
If you want to go by the 20% rule, then you have no choice but to get the bigger engine.
What's your mileage ratio solo vs. towing?
How many miles total a year do you drive?
Where do you normally go when you do tow?
I think this would be an important consideration with the current trend of rising gas prices.
Old 06-11-2004, 11:42 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
San Jose , California
I'll tell anyone who will listen: Quadrasteer ROCKS!

If you tow, Quadrasteer ROCKS DOUBLE!!!!

There is simply nothing like it. You guys have no idea what a difference it makes. I will never buy another truck without it!

Just my 2 cents.

NorCal Fall Rally, Jackson Rancheria, October 7-9 2011 Click here for more info

Come rally with us.
Big Dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2004, 08:22 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

Trailer weight, trailer towability

Hi Tin Hat,

I must concur with most of the other posters. You really cannot have too much truck!!

I went from a 1/2ton to a 3/4 tone, thinking I had all I would need. Well, guess what, I now have a 1 ton dually and prefer to driving that to a car!

You can get a crew cab with a long box. That will give you more than a suburban will. You can also get this vehicle with a diesel (my engine of choice - looooong story) or a big block gas engine.

Obviously you will go with what you feel good about. Whatever you do, do go with just enough. Guanrateed, a few years from now you will be wanting to upgrade or getter a bigger unit. Having more than you need now will save you money in the future. A bigger engine will oly be idling (or almost) towing your unit. A smaller engine will most likely be working very heard, and as a consequence, burning a lot of fuel. My 2002 Dodge 3500, dually, auto, 4x4, long box gets around 20 mpg without towing (and it is not broken in yet) and towing I would guess 14 mpg.

Go with what you feel comfortable with. Be safe and enjoy your trailer.

Mariner
1986 F250 T/C 6.9 Diesel, LB,S/C,4x4,Auto
Mariner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2004, 08:24 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

Trailer weight, trailer towability

Hi Tin Hat,

I must concur with most of the other posters. You really cannot have too much truck!!

I went from a 1/2ton to a 3/4 tone, thinking I had all I would need. Well, guess what, I now have a 1 ton dually and prefer to driving that to a car!

You can get a crew cab with a long box. That will give you more than a suburban will. You can also get this vehicle with a diesel (my engine of choice - looooong story) or a big block gas engine.

Obviously you will go with what you feel good about. Whatever you do, don't go with just enough. Guaranteed, a few years from now you will be wanting to upgrade or geta bigger unit. Having more than you need now will save you money in the future. A bigger engine will only be idling (or almost) towing your unit. A smaller engine will most likely be working very hard, and as a consequence, burning a lot of fuel. My 2002 Dodge 3500, quad cab, dually, auto, 4x4, long box gets around 20 mpg without towing (and it is not broken in yet) and towing I would guess 14 mpg.

Go with what you feel comfortable with. Be safe and enjoy your trailer.

Mariner
1986 F250 T/C 6.9 Diesel, LB,S/C,4x4,Auto
Mariner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2004, 10:18 PM   #13
Rivet Master

tow

Thanks all. I think I will go with the 8.1 liter engine and give up the quadrasteer option since you can't get it with the larger motor.

Old 06-11-2004, 11:15 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Western , Oregon
I have a Chevy 2004 Avalanche 8.1 L 320 hp 3/4 ton. Am pulling a 22' CCD and am real happy!. Yes, 12mpg is average (not towing), but I'm am at the pinnacle of my life, ready to retire, and have been driving 6cyclinder small pickups for the last 25 years. I figure I deserve it !
I have an Excel worksheet that I've used to calculate my tow capabilities, which has been quite helpful (not subject to salesperson bias). Can't post this in this thread, but would email you the worksheet if you are interested.
Good luck!
Jim

2017 28' Signature CCD

2017 GMC Denali HD Crew Cab 4x4
Blue Ox Sway Pro Hitch

WBCCI #3538
jordandvm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2004, 06:21 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Putnam , Connecticut
Anyone know if the Quad steering will become available with the 8L or Diesel GMC's?
Over59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2004, 06:41 AM   #16
4 Rivet Member

2000 31' Land Yacht
Just a thought. The towing capacity is based on only a 175# driver in the tow vehicle. Any other things you add, wife, kids, tools, food, bikes, etc. should be subtracted from tow capacity on any vehicle you choose. The Suburban has lots of room for added items to reduce towing capaciy! Another thing, if the Suburban comes with Pmetric tires, get them changed to LT tires before you tow. The sidewalls on the Pmetric tires are just too soft for good towing stability. One of our friends spun his Suburban and Airstream (3 turns) in the middle of I-75 just south of Flint, MI where it is 4 lanes wide. Didn't hit anything, but had to clean paint from the gas bottles off the bumper. LT tires made it a different vehicle that tows great. Of course, he had to change his shorts.

Jim Mickle
jimmickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2004, 06:44 AM   #17
4 Rivet Member

2000 31' Land Yacht
Another thing, before you make your decision, you might want to get a REAL weight on a scale. Airstream is often optomistic about how light their units are.

Jim Mickle
jimmickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2004, 07:18 AM   #18
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
I also have a 8.1 Avalanche - what a great ride it is! Very comfortable and tons of power. W/O trailer I've gotten as much as 17mpg on the hwy and you will love the response when you tap the accelerator. With the trailer I avg about 11 mpg. Also, they have had less problems with the 8.1 than they have had with the 6.0

Ken
Albuquerque National Balloon Fiesta
Rally
Vintage Trailer Academy - Formerly the original
restoration rally
Ken J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2004, 07:20 AM   #19
Rivet Master

quad steering

I checked yesterday and quad steering in ONLY available in 2005 with the 6.0 liter engine, not on the larger on. This stuff drives me nuts. What really kills the max trailer wt capacity is the 4WD option, knocks about 2,000 lbs off. I could drop the 4WD, keep the quadrasteer and go with the 6 liter engine and have 9,300 lbs towing. Add 4WD and it goes to 7,300...so, if I believe having 4WD is more important then I have to move up to the 8 liter engine which now does not come with quad. Part of the decision is what's the better option to have, quadrasteer or 4WD. You'll use quad everyday, but when you do need the 4WD you really need it.

Old 06-12-2004, 09:46 AM   #20
Rivet Master

1984 31' Excella
Abernathy , Texas
And, don't forget, that manufacturers are often very "rosy scenario" about their published "tow capacities" as well IMHO.
They want to look good in their advertisements and sell you a vehicle just like the RV sales people want to sell you by saying, "Sure, you can tow this trailer with that!"
Mostly, they just want to make the sale.