Old 12-15-2004, 07:54 AM   #43
Craftsman

Talking

I bought a 2001 lightly used (36K miles), 2500 4X4 Suburban with the 8.1 Vortec, with 3.73 rear with locking differential. Full leather, dual AC,etc.,etc., etc. Options totaled $14,251.00. I would think that today, new it would cost around $53K? I bought it for $21,000.00, and it looks and drives like a new truck. At the time I was looking at the Ford F250 with 6.0 L diesel, but it was around $40k. The point is, someone else took the BIG hit on depreciation and probably took care of any warranty issues and I save over $20,000.00. Thats a lot of gas. There are so many good used trucks out there that you don't have to make enormous monthly payments on. There just doesn't seem to be any practical reason to buy new. The 8.1 is sweeeeet.
Old 12-15-2004, 09:08 AM   #44
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Hays County , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheel interested
2005 - 4WD, Vortec 6000 V8, 4.10, locking rear differential, and goodie! camp mirrors (won't miss the cpas) GVWR 8600#, Curb Weight 6073# GCRW 16000#, GTWR 9600# And I can't find a listing for this but my hubby said Max hitch weight was 1500# (?)

25' Classic, GVWR 7300#, UBW 6050#, Hitch Weight 870# that was the kicker(?)

My husband is looking at a particular car off the lot and it doesn't have Quadrasteer, or electronic pedals (I'm 5'2'' and a bit worried about the air bag should it deploy) and perhaps I would choose a different color but we are leaving on a trip before Christmas and this may be a deal.

How do you think this vehicle would match up to our Airstream.
I have the same 25' Classic and a 2500HD truck at about the same weight as the Suburban and the combination tows like a dream. No doubt quadrasteer would be nice in close quarters, but I don't think it is needed for this combination. I have never had a hint of sway using the Reese HD Dual-Cam hitch. The 25 Classic has the highest tongue weight proportion of any except the slideout models and is totally stable on the road.

As for power, a friend tows an early 90s 34-footer with a 2500HD with the same engine and gear ratio that you mention and he is very pleased with the power and stability of that combination.

WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2004, 09:44 AM   #45
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
craftsman now that's a deal!

Great advice. You're right, that first plummet in depreciation as you drive off the lot is certainly no good. (Alas, I have had that same conversation with my husband many a time.) My husband is checking today on what kind of deal he might get as a Delphi employee. We need to trade the Expy too. Time is so short now. We wonder if we should wait.

BTW just how much gas is it to run a 2500 Suburban? I haven't seen any EPA ratings online, it seems to be unrated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craftsman
I bought a 2001 lightly used (36K miles), 2500 4X4 Suburban with the 8.1 Vortec, with 3.73 rear with locking differential. Full leather, dual AC,etc.,etc., etc. Options totaled $14,251.00. I would think that today, new it would cost around $53K? I bought it for $21,000.00, and it looks and drives like a new truck. At the time I was looking at the Ford F250 with 6.0 L diesel, but it was around $40k. The point is, someone else took the BIG hit on depreciation and probably took care of any warranty issues and I save over $20,000.00. Thats a lot of gas. There are so many good used trucks out there that you don't have to make enormous monthly payments on. There just doesn't seem to be any practical reason to buy new. The 8.1 is sweeeeet.

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2004, 10:14 AM   #46
Rivet Master

Lapeer , Michigan
John we have the dual cam too

And I love it. Besides the important benefits of how well it performs, I like how easy it is to hook up, one step and you're done. Don't have to worry about adjusting the sway control for weather or removing bars to back up. And now that we have the electric hitch my only problem is getting hitch goo on me. I don't miss the cranking one iddy bit! I was thinking of carrying those cycle wipes to remove grease, especially now that we have been putting a little ball grease on the arc part of the bars to reduce the pops and groans. If it isn't our hands, it's the dog or our jeans, inevitably. I wonder where people stow their bars too. I thought I'd make a case to contain them when not in use.

The quadrasteer enticed me with being able to back up easier as we have a long curved driveway to negotiate each time home. But deducting 200# from the trailer towing capacity and adding several hundred(?) to the truck's base weight, reducing cargo we could carry in the GCVW seemed to be self defeating with that engine If we went to the larger and gained all that would pull, I think it would be less of an issue. I got stuff!

John what kind of mileage do you get? How much less would I get with the bigger engine?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pahaska
I have the same 25' Classic and a 2500HD truck at about the same weight as the Suburban and the combination tows like a dream. No doubt quadrasteer would be nice in close quarters, but I don't think it is needed for this combination. I have never had a hint of sway using the Reese HD Dual-Cam hitch. The 25 Classic has the highest tongue weight proportion of any except the slideout models and is totally stable on the road.

As for power, a friend tows an early 90s 34-footer with a 2500HD with the same engine and gear ratio that you mention and he is very pleased with the power and stability of that combination.

photography
Old 12-15-2004, 10:30 AM   #47
Rivet Master

1976 27' Overlander
Richmond , Virginia

BTW just how much gas is it to run a 2500 Suburban? I haven't seen any EPA ratings online, it seems to be unrated.[/QUOTE]

Carol,
Our 2005 Burb w/3.73 rear and 6.0 Vortex gets some where in the upper teens on the interstate. 16-17mpg I have less than 3000 miles on the odo, so I still am in the "break in" phase. I do get slightly better mpg with the 3.73 rear than I got with the 4.10 rear in the 04 Burb.
Will not have a chance to tow till late March or early April.
I do love the factory camper mirrors and the 37.5 fuel tank. We have 500++ range solo.
As far as rating the MPG the "heavy vehicles" over 6500# gross max weight are not required to post on the stickers.

Abe
Hensley Hitch
vajeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2004, 10:48 AM   #48
Craftsman

To fill my Suburban with regular ( doesn't use premium) has been between $54 and $57. Around town I average about 10mpg. On the highway is a different story,this is where the Suburban excels, the mileage seems to be between 15-17mpg.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	new pic.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	20.1 KB
ID:	9748  
Old 12-15-2004, 11:10 AM   #49
Craftsman

A picture of the Suburban at it's favorite feeding grounds
Old 12-15-2004, 11:54 AM   #50
Rivet Master

Lapeer , Michigan
nice looking combo Craftsman

The huge tank is going to be nice for getting where we're going, maybe not so on the pocket book, or hey, will hubby ever stop for a "potty" break now?

Quote:
A picture of the Suburban at it's favorite feeding grounds

photography
Old 12-15-2004, 12:08 PM   #51
Rivet Master

Lapeer , Michigan
question Abe

May I ask why did you get rid of your 04 Burb for an 05? Or do you get one every year?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vajeep

BTW just how much gas is it to run a 2500 Suburban? I haven't seen any EPA ratings online, it seems to be unrated.

Carol,
Our 2005 Burb w/3.73 rear and 6.0 Vortex gets some where in the upper teens on the interstate. 16-17mpg I have less than 3000 miles on the odo, so I still am in the "break in" phase. I do get slightly better mpg with the 3.73 rear than I got with the 4.10 rear in the 04 Burb.
Will not have a chance to tow till late March or early April.
I do love the factory camper mirrors and the 37.5 fuel tank. We have 500++ range solo.
As far as rating the MPG the "heavy vehicles" over 6500# gross max weight are not required to post on the stickers.

Abe[/QUOTE]

photography
Old 12-15-2004, 12:23 PM   #52
Rivet Master

Hays County , Texas
My mileage doesn't quite apply to the 6.0 or 8.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheel interested
John what kind of mileage do you get? How much less would I get with the bigger engine?
I have the diesel, so I get 15-16 mpg towing and 19-20 mpg solo. My friend with the 6.0L and 34-footer says he has averaged 12 mpg overall (both towing and solo) since he has owned the truck. He doesn't have a breakout for towing alone.
WBCCI #9632
Old 12-15-2004, 01:52 PM   #53
Craftsman

I'll have to look in to the camping/towing mirrors on the newer suburbans as a retro fit for my 01
Old 12-15-2004, 02:28 PM   #54
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Trailer wgt, tow ability

Greetings Craftsman!

Quote:
I'll have to look in to the camping/towing mirrors on the newer suburbans as a retro fit for my 01
If my information is correct, PowerVision was the manufacturer for the power-extension towing mirrors that were offered in 2000-2001 on Chevrolet/GMC Suburbans. If that is the case, you will have the opportunity to shop several sources for price - - your nearby Chevrolet/GMC dealer as well as shops that handle the PowerVision. You can find more information about the PowerVision mirrors at:

PowerVision Power Extension Towing Mirrors

I keep considering a set for my '99 Suburban, but my McKesh mirrors have performed so well that I have been reluctant to change. It is much more attractive now that PowerVision is offering the heated surface - - the only feature that I would loose when switching from my factory mirrors would be the feature that automatically adjusts the exterior mirrors when being followed by drivers utilizing their high-beams.

Good luck with your investigation!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC/Free Wheelers #6359
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International/1999 GMC K2500 Suburban (7400 VORTEC/4.11 Differentials)
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre/1975 Cadillac Eldorado Convertible (8.2 Liter V8/2.70 Final Drive)
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2004, 03:43 PM   #55
Rivet Master

Hays County , Texas
Mirrors

They are a bit pricey, but I am totally in love with my Shefenacker TTT replacement mirrors. They are heated and remotely adjustable using the factory switches. The mount is cast aluminum and there isn't a hint of vibration. Mine have the optional LED position and turn signal lights which I consider an important safety feature. There is a big convex spotter mirror and flat main mirrors; the flat mirrors really helps in judging clearance when towing.

The mirrors have to be manually moved in and out, but that is just another part of my hookup procedure. On my final walkaround of the trailer on hookup, I pull the mirrors out. When I unhook and move the truck away from the trailer, I walk around the front and push in both mirrors on the way back to the trailer.

The TTTs look great and I have been repeatedly approached in campgrounds with questions as to where I bought them. You can see a review on them with photos at the Diesel Page My mirrors came complete with replacement front covers that totally eliminated the wind whistle mentioned in the review. It took a simple 1/2" extension of the front cover to do the job. My own take after close a year of use is that they far exceed any of the OEM mirror setups that I have seen.
WBCCI #9632
Old 12-15-2004, 04:53 PM   #56
Rivet Master

Craftsman
I thought suburbans only grazed didn't know that took regular feedings. Anyhoo, a diesel get's better bang for the buck and a 4.10 rear end is a must for those long grades.