Old 06-13-2004, 09:03 PM   #29
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Dee
Abe,
And do you really think the 4:10 gears are overkill? My 4:10 gears seem perfect and it is so smooth.
A big part of the difference may be the fact that Abe is pulling a coach with an empty weight of 4500 lbs., while Big Dee has an empty weight of 7200 lbs. In addition, Big Dee has a coach that is at least six inches wider, making for more air resistance.

So yes, 4.10 may be overkill for Abe and just right for Big Dee.

Mark

Old 06-14-2004, 11:51 AM   #30
Rivet Master

1976 27' Overlander
Richmond , Virginia
I love this forum!!!!!

Where else can you get honest answers from people that really care!!!!!!!!!!\
I hope to meet each one of you guys some day

Hensley Hitch
vajeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2004, 02:45 PM   #31
Just an old timer...

Tipton , Iowa
Excursion diesel vs. Suburban gas

Hut... if you're a died-in-the-wool Chevy guy then disregard this, but I'd suggest you looking at the Excursion 6L diesel option. We like the Suburban/Excursion SUV-type vehicles as well, but I won't buy a new one, and the diesel/allison combo isn't available in the Suburbans yet. I looked at a 2500 side-by-side with the Excursion we bought, and compared feature-for-feature. We bought the Ex because it had fewer miles on it and was a better value for the dollar, but they were both excellent vehicles. While I'm really not partial to either, the Excursion is a very impressive truck, and I'm not sorry at all that we chose it over the Sub.

I drove a 2004 4WD Excursion LTD with the 6.0L diesel a few weeks ago, and they're pretty impressive (but they OUGHT to be at $53k sticker...)

BTW, Ford announced in the past few weeks that the Excursion will remain in their lineup as long as they continue to sell. They had planned to discontinue them in 2005, but apparently they're selling every one they can build about as fast as they can get them into their dealers. I've noticed that they don't sit around on dealer's lots very long.

Good luck!

Roger
Old 06-16-2004, 06:34 AM   #32
Rivet Master

1976 27' Overlander
Richmond , Virginia
Thumbs up Like to hear that!

Roger,
I like your point of view. I love to read the debate about Ford/ Chevy and gas v diesel. I like you ,keep an open mind and I think that each owner is driving what he/she really wants and will spent the time to prove to others that they made the "correct" choice!!
Sort of like vintage A/S vs new or as TIN HUT said the other day "Ginger v Mary-Ann.
No really wrong choices but only in America could we have so many choices!

I will tell you my best friend has the 2004 Diesel Excursion w/Eddie Bauer set up. Same color as mine I would be happy to trade back and forth for weeks at a time with him.
Chevy does put some goodies in like 0% financing for 60mo, xm radio built in and Onstar for 1 year that are sort of cool.
Hensley Hitch
Old 06-16-2004, 07:42 AM   #33
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by vajeep
And I can help with all the diesel Suburban questions. No. Not even in the R&D pipeline.
Abe
What a total bummer and a mistake on GMs part. The Excursion sells very well and offers a diesel. GM should put the same features (Duramax/Allison combo) into the ol' Bubran real soon!
Old 06-16-2004, 08:40 AM   #34
Just an old timer...

Tipton , Iowa
Quote:
Originally Posted by vajeep
Roger,
I like your point of view. I love to read the debate about Ford/ Chevy and gas v diesel. I like you ,keep an open mind and I think that each owner is driving what he/she really wants and will spent the time to prove to others that they made the "correct" choice!!
I agree, Abe, and since I have a Ford currently I like to stir the pot with a couple of the "Chevy guys" (John hd & Silvertwinkie specifically ) occasionally just to keep it lively. But the truth of the matter is that I traded an AWD Astro that I dearly enjoyed in on the Ex, and I'm really a Toyota truck fan (unfortunately there's nothing in their lineup that is realistic for the towing I do). Had this particular Ex not been available, I probably would have bought the Suburban 2500 that it sat next to.

When I buy, I look for the feature-to-value ratio and the best deal I can find. There's a million used trucks out there in excellent condition that somebody else already ate the depreciation on. I can't express enough appreciation to those folks, as I'm the guy who buys that like-new condition trade in with 30 to 45k miles on it and drives it for five years before I trade it on the next one. I try to limit the cash I lose on depreciation that way. Unfortunately $25k is more than half of what I make in a year, and I can't afford to lose that much in two or three years.

Ford and Chevy both make competent trucks, and both have issues in their own areas. Both have dealerships that are competent and then some that I'm sure they'd rather not have selling their cars. Neither, in my book, stand head and shoulders above the other... it's the deal that makes the truck/car for me.

Roger
Old 06-16-2004, 09:56 AM   #35
Rivet Master

1976 27' Overlander
Richmond , Virginia
eek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvertwinkie
What a total bummer and a mistake on GMs part. The Excursion sells very well and offers a diesel. GM should put the same features (Duramax/Allison combo) into the ol' Bubran real soon!
Eric,
If you added this combo ($6605.00 from the Chevrolet.com build it site)
to the sticker(I did not pay sticker) but sticker on 2500 hd full blown (q-steer, 2nd row captains, camper mirrors, block heater and 4.10; and then add a $850.00 destination = $51,735
Durmax/Allison combo + $6,605
$58,340
even w/ 60 mo 0% =$972
Hensley Hitch
Old 06-16-2004, 10:14 AM   #36
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Yea, I know that retail it would be more costly than the pickup, but I don't need quadrasteer. I'd be quite happy with just a 3/4 ton Suburban with the Duramax/Allision combo, 3.73s, 4x4, locking differential and some of the great Suburban toys.

In the end, if given the choice, I'd take the more costly Suburban than the pickup....all things being equal except for price. For someone like me, I buy cars and hold them for 10-15 years or more where some folks hold them for 7-10 years and get another truck and spend $30k 2x to my one. So in my mind, it would be like buying 2 trucks at one time rather than 2 trucks over time. A big first hit I'd admit!

Either way, it doesn't sound like it's gonna happen in the next year or two. Hopefully in 3-4 years when it comes time to retire my faithful old horse (Impala SS), it will be, otherwise, I may just have to get an extended cab or quad cab pickup, which is not soooo bad either. I would agree that the Chevy looks bad...if I were to buy a GM truck today, I'd get the GMC as I don't care really for the Avalanche look.
Old 06-16-2004, 10:17 AM   #37
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
bay city , Michigan
quadrasteer

if you are going to spend the doe quadrasteer only adds ~2k to the price when you are talking about 60k it is a pretty small option. having driven in quite a few of the prototypes it is definately a bargain at this price.
Old 06-18-2004, 07:55 PM   #38
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Southern Middle , Tennessee
You don't want to go to 3.73 gears with the 6.0 engine. The 6 seems to like that ratio according to many posts in pickuptrucks.com forum because it likes to rev.

AIR #0078
'01 2500hd ext. cab, 8.1 litre gas, 5 sp. Allison auto
3.73 rear end
Mag-Hytec rear diff cover
Amsoil Dual by-pass oil filtration system
Amsoil synthetics all around
265 watt AM Solar, Inc. system
davidz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2004, 01:19 PM   #39
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
Quote:
Originally Posted by 85MH325
BTW, Ford announced in the past few weeks that the Excursion will remain in their lineup as long as they continue to sell. They had planned to discontinue them in 2005, but apparently they're selling every one they can build about as fast as they can get them into their dealers. I've noticed that they don't sit around on dealer's lots very long.

Good luck!

Roger
Indeed. But no more gas V8's , only gas V10's and Diesels.
Old 12-14-2004, 10:40 PM   #40
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
We're looking at a Suburban 2500

2005 - 4WD, Vortec 6000 V8, 4.10, locking rear differential, and goodie! camp mirrors (won't miss the cpas) GVWR 8600#, Curb Weight 6073# GCRW 16000#, GTWR 9600# And I can't find a listing for this but my hubby said Max hitch weight was 1500# (?)

25' Classic, GVWR 7300#, UBW 6050#, Hitch Weight 870# that was the kicker(?)

My husband is looking at a particular car off the lot and it doesn't have Quadrasteer, or electronic pedals (I'm 5'2'' and a bit worried about the air bag should it deploy) and perhaps I would choose a different color but we are leaving on a trip before Christmas and this may be a deal.

Right now, we have the 2001 Expedition, 4wd with the 3.55 and 17 inch wheels subtracting an additional 1,500# to leave us with a towing capacity of 6900# GCWR 12,500, and I think the base weight is around 5260# or so.

Needless to say I have been worried and very excited at the prospect of being safe, legal and moral. How do you think this vehicle would match up to our Airstream. I have read and reread a lot of the towing threads and while I have not been a car/truck person I have been trying to learn. And this certainly is the place to do that! And thanks!!

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2004, 12:17 AM   #41
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Carol,

I have an '04 Suburban w/ 6.0L and 4.10s. I have towed around town a bit (not a good real world test) and I could barely telll without looking that our 6300lb Safari was back there. I am sure that in the hills or mountains, I'd notice it, but who wouldn't. Your unit is about 1000 lbs more than ours fully loaded. It's a difference, but I would think the weight of 5 average folks isn't something to loose sleep over. I think you're on the right track.

You are at the high end, but still I feel within reason. The main thing is the rear axle and the trans, both of which can take more abuse than say a basic 1500. I love our 6.0L. It's a great tow vehicle. I think your current choice will do just fine. True the 8.1L will do wonders and with the 5k rebate on '04s more than pay for any extra gas you may have to fork over in the short term for the 8.1L, the 6.0 will do just fine.

BTW, jcanavera tows a 30' Classic slide with a 2500 6.0L van, which weighs far more....and does it well....I wouldn't loose any sleep getting the 6.0L.

Oh and for worring about the air bags...keep in mind that the second gen airbags are in all GM vehicles as of a year or so ago, so airbag deployment isn't as big of an issue, but reaching the pedals might be. We have the adjustable pedals (only cause the truck had em off the lot).
Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2004, 02:05 AM   #42
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
Thank you Twink

That is reassuring. We had gotten our Expedition to pair with our old Towlite and I have been a nervous Nelly ever since we got our Airstream. I hope all can proceed as hoped. We saw it today for the first time.

Oh, My feet do reach the pedals, I just have to put my head through the steering wheel. Just kidding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvertwinkie
Carol,

I have an '04 Suburban w/ 6.0L and 4.10s. I have towed around town a bit (not a good real world test) and I could barely telll without looking that our 6300lb Safari was back there. I am sure that in the hills or mountains, I'd notice it, but who wouldn't. Your unit is about 1000 lbs more than ours fully loaded. It's a difference, but I would think the weight of 5 average folks isn't something to loose sleep over. I think you're on the right track.

You are at the high end, but still I feel within reason. The main thing is the rear axle and the trans, both of which can take more abuse than say a basic 1500. I love our 6.0L. It's a great tow vehicle. I think your current choice will do just fine. True the 8.1L will do wonders and with the 5k rebate on '04s more than pay for any extra gas you may have to fork over in the short term for the 8.1L, the 6.0 will do just fine.

BTW, jcanavera tows a 30' Classic slide with a 2500 6.0L van, which weighs far more....and does it well....I wouldn't loose any sleep getting the 6.0L.

Oh and for worring about the air bags...keep in mind that the second gen airbags are in all GM vehicles as of a year or so ago, so airbag deployment isn't as big of an issue, but reaching the pedals might be. We have the adjustable pedals (only cause the truck had em off the lot).

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote