Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-17-2007, 11:38 AM   #21
USN/LAPD Retired

2005 25' Safari
North Las Vegas , United States
Not to mention that after you load up the trailer and the SUV, you're probably at max weight and..... your engine will be running HOT going up grades and forget using the AC!

Oh, and like Ken J said, "tail is wagging the dog"... meaning, going down a hill and being pushed by the trailer and the possibility of losing contraol.

Anyway, that's my 2 cents worth!

"Better to have more then you need, then need more then you have because you don't have enough!"
AIR #: 8129
Safari-Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 02:46 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
The towed load should be no more than 85% of the tow vehicle's rated capability

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomR
What type of trouble would he be in???

I am curious what all the posts about "trouble" are about?

I don't think tow ratings are the LAW...just guidance?????

... It would be interesting if there was some factual examples of consequenses...by that I mean legal...not that you are going to crash and die if you are towing overweight.

All the discussions about TVs and weight ratings and all the "boy he is going to be sorry if he is in an accident"...I don't think any have cited actual facts.

BTW...it certainly may be a factor in finding legal "blame"...just as speeding might be...but should not void insurance coverage or cause issues otherwise????...
I think you should corner your insurance agent first. He/she should be able to give you good insight.

If your agent is clueless, I recommend you speak with Andy at InlandRV. He spent years in the insurance business and is super-keen on safety issues.

I got into trouble on my first long distance trip with my 'new' Airstream. Here is an excerpt from the tale:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom's web site
...We had a bit of excitement on the interstate about 30 miles away from Disneyworld. Traffic was moderate, and I was in the middle lane doing around 65 mph. There was a minivan three or four lengths ahead of me in the left lane, and I could see him coming up on a tire laying on the road.

Thinking he would probably swerve left to avoid it, I sat up in my seat just in case he slowed before swerving into my lane. None of the above - he drove his right hand tires OVER it. In slow motion, I watched the tire sail 15 feet into the air as it headed in my direction. Abruptly swerving to the right, and then trying to correct, the Airstream started to fishtail.

I think I could have straightened it out with just the throttle, but I didn’t practice reaching for the electric brake’s manual lever for nothing! I hit the electric brake lever hard, and punched the gas. Everything straightened out almost immediately. Funny thing was that while I busy trying to save the Overlander, from Kim’s perspective it appeared the tire was going to hit me. She was apparently trying to figure out how she was going to steer while I picked rubber out of my teeth (or vice-versa ). Due probably to the slipstream around the Airstream, the tire missed us completely. I don’t know how the people behind us faired, but we didn’t hear anything on the news about it. ...
Although the GVWR of my fully loaded, 26' Overlander only loads my 3/4 ton Suburban to roughly 60% of its rated tow capacity, I truly believe the sheer mass of my primary tow vehicle kept me out of serious trouble that day.

Trailer Life disappointed me by both featuring a picture of a towed load at or near the tow vehicle's max rating, AND not equipping the tow vehicle with the proper mirrors.

The picture may look cool, but I would not like to be near that person on the road regardless of the amount of snow on the ground.

Tom
TomW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 04:05 PM   #23
4 Rivet Member

2001 25' Safari
London , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomW
Although the GVWR of my fully loaded, 26' Overlander only loads my 3/4 ton Suburban to roughly 60% of its rated tow capacity, I truly believe the sheer mass of my primary tow vehicle kept me out of serious trouble that day.
Tom
Tom, you may very well be right, but that does not mean that a 3/4 is needed to tow a 25 footer. The reality is that 25 footers can be easily and safely be towed with 1/2 tons and some minivans. A proper towing setup is all that's needed (which is a whole different discussion).

I towed a 32 footer with my shorty Yukon (100% GVWR, 94% GCVWR) for three years and never experienced any handling problems in spite of a couple of nasty panic events along with the normal allotment of bad weather, aggressive truckers and stupid drivers.

Whether a rig is safe or not is really a question of the setup.
Set-up by Can-Am RV
Garfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 04:31 PM   #24
3 Rivet Member

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Cape Coral , Florida
Insurance Trouble -- Not Really

Travel trailers need insurance only if you want to cover the trailer for physical damage, such as damage in a collision or damage from other perils, such as fire, hail, etc. Usually insurance on the trailer is just added to your automobile insurance policy for Comp & Collision, or a separate RV policy can be purchased, which may offer some additional bells & whistles.

Liability insurance (coverage to pay for other peoples injuries or damage to others property, which is your fault) is automaticly provided by your Personal Auto Policy when it is hooked up to your TV and is provided by your Homeowners Policy when you are camping or parked at home. There is no requirement in the Auto policy that the rig be properly configured.

For insurance purposes, you can tow a 15,000 pound SOB with a VW and coverage will still apply. The insurance company won't like it, but they will have to defend you if you are sued for causing an accident. If the accident is not your fault, the other parties insurance company will try to assign some blame to you if they can, and being over weight could give them some grounds. Still, your insurance company will come to your defense.

Stupidity is not specifically named in an insurance policy as a covered peril, but it is covered every day. Driving while talking on a cell phone is stupid, but the accident is covered. Driving drunk is stupid, but the accident is covered. Starting the grill with gasoline is stupid, but the home is rebuilt. Towing a heavier trailer than the TV is rated for is probably stupid, but your insurance will respond.

Whether your policy is renewed is a different matter. Geo... (35 years in the insurance property & casualty business)
Old 11-18-2007, 08:16 AM   #25
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
St. Catharines , South Western Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by safari57
The outfit in TomW's post seems to be mirror challenged as well. Is this the TL unit? I hate it when I see someone pulling a large trailer and they can barely see, if at all, behind them because they are relying on the factory mirrors that don't extend out to provide proper viewing.

But then that's just me.

Barry
I agree Barry. No one whould be towing anything with an improper rear view mirror set up. This comb needs a set of McKesh mirrors. Been around forever and a proven performer.

McKesh Mirrors
Old 11-18-2007, 10:26 AM   #26
Rivet Master

2008 30' Classic S/O
Dearborn , Michigan
perfect combo for a vacation on a closed course
boondockdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 12:20 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited S/O
Moyock , North Carolina
I'm familiar with a dragchute behind a sailboat in a storm but never heard of a Drag chain cept when we launched ships from the buildingways.
Past President Tidewater Unit 111
Rick Bell in "Silverbell"
Tarheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 06:43 PM   #28
4 Rivet Member

Belington , West Virginia
About these drag chains. I'm sure that if the conditions are bad enough to warrant their use, then it is not likely that you would be towing at normal highway speeds. But, any vehicle I have ever driven with chains, including cars, trucks and lawn tractors exhibited a very pronounced vibration from the chains. The vibration is harsher the slower you go. Does this rough ride not have and adverse effect on the trailer - similar to what you might expect from a bad wheel/tire imbalance?
RBolton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 07:48 PM   #29
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
2005 22' Interstate
Afton , Virginia
My experience with tire chains has been in Europe. Chains are used in snow. They keep your vehicle from sliding off the pavement. They are not intended for use at anything like "highway" speeds, they just get you out of the "stuck" condition into the "rolling" condition. I've never used them on glare ice, but think they could be of use in that condition, too.
Once you've cleared the condition, off the chains come, until the next time.
If you use chains on bare pavement, you will eat up your tires, and surely have vibration.
herrgirdner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 09:25 PM   #30
3 Rivet Member

1991 34' Limited
Port Orchard , Washington
Thumbs up Trailer Life & SOB w/Saturn Outlook OVERWEIGHT

In the same issue that this topic is about, good ol' Trailer Life has done it again.

Page 65 shows a Saturn Outlook hooked up to a Blast 150 (SOB), a almost 19 foot trailer .
The Saturn is rated for towing 4,500 lbs w/ GCWR of 9,500 lbs.
The Blast 150 has a weight of 4,240 lbs w/ full fresh water, water heater full & LPG full. BUT NO CARGO and the trailer is rated w/ a carrying capacity of 2,010 lbs.........
OOOPPPSSS.. about 1,750 lbs over weight or you travel with out any STUFF & I always want my STUFF.

BUT they did use ADD ON MIRRORS. That way they could see the overloaded trailer......

As for the tire chain issue, If you put them on the TV you better put them on the trailer too. Haveing lived in Alaska for over 22 years & driving a big rig up there, if you need them YOU NEED THEM ALL OVER.....
Just like studded tires. put them on ALL 4 (or 6) tires of the vehicle. Remember you need to stop on that black ice as well as go.
My wife called both snow & icie 4 letter words.......

JMHO.

Claude
catson4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 07:17 PM   #31
2 Rivet Member

2006 25' International CCD
Freehold , New Jersey
I emailed TL about the FJ/AS combo. If I can find the letter I'll qute it directly. But paraphrasing the editor said my (our ) concern was justified BUT since this was a TRAVEL article and not a technical one it slipped by. However, was looking at another (older) TL issue and they paired another TV that seems underpowered (will look that up also and get back to everyone). Has shaken my confidence in TL.
DrPlay is offline   Reply With Quote