Old 04-27-2008, 09:05 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member
2007 30' Classic
Montreal , Quebec
Trailblazer tow vehicles out there?

I would like to know if anybody is using a Trailblazer as tow vehicle and if so what lenght of Airstream are you pulling and does it feel safe? My wife and I have been looking into buying and Airstream International 25ft or 27ft. We currenly own a 3/4 ton Suburban but would like to downsize because of mpg issues. I also own a Trailblazer SS which is v8 powered, has tow package and 4:10 gears. I have tested the Trailblazer on a couple of 150 mile weekend trips with my 31 ft /6500 lbs toy hauler and found to be extremely unsafe when crosswinds would hit us, besides that power was not an issue and stability was fine without the wind. My Trailblazer get decent mpg's all around and we want to possibly sell our Suburban.

Any input would be appreciated.

wantostream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 10:00 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member
2003 22' International CCD
Whittier, California , Depoe Bay, Oregon
Wanto---I'm not using the trailblazer, but a Yukon. You already have the right TV in the 3/4ton Suburban. Especially if you are talking about recent models of 25 & 27 ft. Not enough wheelbase and vehicle wt contributed to the uncomfortable experiences in cross winds.

2003 22ft CCD Int'l
2005 GMC Yukon Denali
WBCCI #2960
bobkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 05:16 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member
2001 25' Safari
London , Ontario
I also tow with a Yukon. I find the biggest problem with these SUVs is their high centre of gravity and soft suspension which make them inherently unstable for towing heavy loads. I would think that instablility would be exacerbated by the TB's narrow stance. The short wheelbase can be largely compensated for by using a Hensley (which I would recommend for any SUV) but other than switching to LT tires, there's not a whole lot more you can do about stabilizing the TB from what I can see.

That said, I'm sure it could be done, but whether you would be happy with the results -- especially after having towed with a 3/4 tonner -- would be a good question.
Gary & Debbie
2001 Safari 25 SS
2011 Chevy Traverse 3.6L AWD Hensley DirecLink McKesh
Set-up by Can-Am RV
Garfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 05:52 AM   #4

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Welcome from the Florida Panhandle

Welcome to the Forums. We're glad to have you with us.

We tow Lucy, our '05 25FB, with our '05 Yukon XL 2500. This is a very able tow vehicle. We also have towed Lucy with our '04 Chevrolet Tahoe. The Tahoe was OK, but somewhat overmatched. I didn't feel as much in control with the Tahoe, and the Tahoe did not get any better gas mileage while while towing Lucy. Being that I consider the Tahoe a marginal tow vehicle for Lucy, a Chevrolet Blazer would probably not be within my comfort zone.

SuEllyn & Brian McCabe
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with HAHA
2005 Suburban 2500 Quadrasteer (Olivia) & 2011 Silverado 3500 (Fred) with Outfitter Truck Camper (Ethel)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 03:17 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member
Currently Looking...
holland , Michigan
First the toy hauler would have a variable big time on the tongue weight, depends on what is in the garage. Second you did not mention what type of weight distribution and sway control you are using.

The trail blazer is similar to a envoy, and i found my 04 model was indeed stressed when towing even a 4500 lb boat. It was soft riding vehicle with air suspension and just seemed to wiggle for lack of a better word. Real nice ride when not towing however.

After having our new truck it would seem the weight you want to tow would fit much better with a 1/2 ton with al the packages. I am sure Andrew T from Canada could set you up safely but that is a long drive indeed. You have the power with the v8, possible a HAHA, some real low profile tires and you might get by. Watch the trans however, my envoy had all the extra cooling packages and still had overheating issues. Good luck.
safari 28 is offline   Reply With Quote