Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-16-2004, 10:03 PM   #1
34'Excella-Ext:82Int:2004

Trade up(?) from my Suburban to a Nissan Titan

NEED some advice - i've been restoring my airsteam for 2 years now, finally ready to tow...

Looking to change out my suburban for the Nissan Titan - the specs say it can pull 9,500lbs, my 33foot Excella weighs 8800. Suburban is always struggling -
The Titan specs are:
Engine liters
5.6 - V8, 4 valves per cylinder,
Power305 hp @ 4,900 rpm
Torque 379 lb-ft @ 3,600 rpm
Engine configuration....

I'd like to avoid a big dual axel rig, and it seems that the specs on the Nissan beat the Chevy & ford 1500/2500- 150...

Any advice would be appreciated. Dealers just want to sell the vehicle...
Atokad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2004, 10:13 PM   #2

Trade up(?) from my Suburban to a Nissan Titan

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	big rig.jpg
Views:	369
Size:	39.2 KB
ID:	8379  
Attached Images

Old 08-16-2004, 10:43 PM   #3
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Gotta tell ya, if your old Burb looked like it did in the pic, the Nissan is gonna be not even close to that fun. Are you even using weight distribution? Even my Impala SS w/ a Safari that has a 750lb hitch weight doesn't look like the pic in your sig. If an enclosed interior is what you need/are looking for, I'd get a 3/4 ton 'burb, and blow off the Nissan. Not cause the Nissan is a bad truck, but because what they say it can tow and what it SHOULD tow are tow different worlds.

This doesn't even take into fact that passengers, cargo, etc will take away from the tow rating. Bottom line, the Nissan is a nice truck, but it weighs only about 5000lbs. The coach in the pic looks like it weighs more than 5000 some odd lbs. If so, I'd run, not walk from the Armada. Just my .02

Now if you were pulling a 19' Bambi.....

HP and torque are only part of the equation....I'm thinkin you'd be trading laterally from one bad situation to another....and BTW, 3/4 ton doesn't mean duals.....
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2004, 04:51 AM   #4
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
i'd try a 3/4 ton domestic truck.

the chevys cgvw are around 10 to 12k with a 300 horse six liter depending on 2 or 4 wheel drive.

the nissan ads are a bit deceiving, they only talk about 1/2 tons.

john
Old 08-17-2004, 05:11 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

1972 31' Sovereign
High Springs , Florida
Send a message via AIM to Pick
Agree with Eric and John. A 9200 GVW pickup with a GCVWR of 22,500 is what you need. I went from a single cab 9200 GVW to an extended cab and what a difference. With a 35' Airstream, you need to look at wheelbase, as well as weight ratings. Let me tell you from experience, a longer wheel base makes a BIG, BIG difference.
Lots of Hot Sauce!
Air # 283
WBCCI 1350
Pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2004, 06:49 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2005 28' International CCD
Pagosa Springs , Colorado
Look at the Chevy Sub 8.1 liter, 4.1 gear ratio pulls 12,000 lbs (minus cargo)

Tin Hut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2004, 07:02 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Putnam , Connecticut
Go to the GMC site and check the numbers yourself. There is no way you would be happy with that tow. The hitch hikers will pass you going up hills. I don't understand why anyone who tows anything over 3500lbs gets anything other than a 3/4. The saleman are saleman. Go to a truck dealership and you might get good info. You have to be the expert, it's your lifes on the line. You need to consider going down hills as well and the braking capacity and engine / transmission braking ability. No 1/2 ton will handle that trailer safely.
I suspect you are sweet on it and looking for support to buy it. If anyone thinks it's a good match speak up. If you have that kind of money get the big yukon xl or a duramax pickup, if you can find one or a smaller trailer.

Of course you could just pull it on flat surfaces.

No dakota big enough?
Over59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2004, 08:47 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1959 22' Caravanner
Atlanta , Georgia
I like Nissan but look at the numbers. The torque is at a high RPM. Do you want to drive at that RPM? I don't.

Don't get me wrong. I think it's a wonderfull engine in the Nissan and against the 350 or so suzed domestics it is the hands down winner but there is more to it then that with the coach you have.

I have several concerns with that sort of weight on the axles that come under Nissan. One of the things they toute in the comercials is clearence and that means they are running a small diameter ring and pinion. Small ring and pions over heat with lots of weight and then they fail.

Do I think you should be pulling that coach with your currnet burb....no. You current burb has a 3.42 gear proably. For that coach you need 4.10.
That sort of weight you need a better stronger rear axle. the 10 bolt under that burb is marginal at best with a 3k load and the heavy body. The 3/4 ton with the bigger engine burb will get you the same basic 14 bolt axle that comes under a 1 ton. The difference between it and the 1 ton variant is the size of the brakes.

Brakes.....BIGGER IS BETTER! The brakes on a 3/4 ton domestic truck are much larger. If the brakes on the trailer fail thats a big safety concern.

If your concerned about fuel economy go diesel. the Powerstroke and Durmax and the Cummings all will get about 20mpg empty. That Nissan is going to get 15-16 at best empty with a light foot. Those diesels love pulling. The torqe figures on any of the big three diesels are going to make all be the biggest gas motors look like a joke.

I think you really need to get all the numbers out there. Honestly with that size coach I think the 3/4 ton Diesel line up of the big three are all better choices. Smaller lighter coach...I would say go for it but I think as good as that Nissan is I think that's more trailer then should be behind it and that 1/2 ton burb.
59toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2004, 09:34 AM   #9
1 Rivet Member

I recently purchased a Chevrolet Avalanche 2500 with an 8.1 liter gas engine and 4.10 rear axle and it tows my 2004 28 SO Safari Airstream easily. It is rated for a 12,000 lb trailer. I can pass trucks on grades and it will climb the California grapevine at 60 mph. I purchased the vehicle new at $12,000 below msrp with all the rebates and dealer discounts. I happy with this truck/suv and can recommend it.

wilco
wilco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2004, 09:51 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atokad
NEED some advice - i've been restoring my airsteam for 2 years now, finally ready to tow...

Looking to change out my suburban for the Nissan Titan - the specs say it can pull 9,500lbs, my 33foot Excella weighs 8800. Suburban is always struggling -
The Titan specs are:
Engine liters
5.6 - V8, 4 valves per cylinder,
Power305 hp @ 4,900 rpm
Torque 379 lb-ft @ 3,600 rpm
Engine configuration....

I'd like to avoid a big dual axel rig, and it seems that the specs on the Nissan beat the Chevy & ford 1500/2500- 150...

Any advice would be appreciated. Dealers just want to sell the vehicle...
I’m interested in your Suburban if you are considering selling it!
PM some info. On it to me.

Thanks!
J&D AS#2
JD85EXCELLA32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2004, 03:36 PM   #11

THANKS, great advice!

Wow - so much help!

Thanks everyone...

Nissan's not getting any of my money. Now only looking at the bigger trucks - actually want the smallest possible truck with the largest pulling power, and it seems that the dakota and the avalance (although Wilco is happy with the Avalance, it's specs don't seem that much better then the Titan...) will be too small based on the power/weight i need?

for those with some time to waste you can see some more pics of my constant work in progress trailer at:

http://homepage.mac.com/dakotafilms/Airstream
Old 08-17-2004, 03:53 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1959 22' Caravanner
Atlanta , Georgia
I'm a chevy guy at heart but my next tow rig will be a F250 SD short bed crew 4x4 with the powerstroke. My buddy pulls a 39ft toy hauler 5th wheel camper with one. Gets 14-15 towing. gets as high as 21 empty.
59toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2004, 04:19 PM   #13
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by 59toaster
I'm a chevy guy at heart but my next tow rig will be a F250 SD short bed crew 4x4 with the powerstroke. My buddy pulls a 39ft toy hauler 5th wheel camper with one. Gets 14-15 towing. gets as high as 21 empty.
Sinner!

Friends don't let friends say the F word, let alone drive one!
Old 08-17-2004, 08:09 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

1996 28' Excella
Geneseo , New York
I can second wilco's experience with the avalanche with our own:

We've just returned from a two month, 6000 mile trek thru Wyoming and Montana, including the Beartooth Pass out of Red Lodge, MT with a new Chevy Avalanche 2500 and our 28 ft Excella (8600 lbs), and I am really impressed with how easy the Chevy did the job. On the flats or in the mountains, I always had plenty of power, and certainly have no regrets. Also, I carry a Honda generator in the back of the truck. . . and I really like those side compartments for storing essential gear related to towing. The towing specs are the same as a 3/4 ton Suburban with the 8.1 litre engine.

wrepete
wrepete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2004, 08:31 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Sunnyvale , California
Send a message via AIM to Condoluminum
Avalanches and Suburbans

The 2500 Chevy Avalanche IS the same truck as the Suburban, minus a cutout and open bed in the rear... Same frame, wheelbase, engine, axles etc.. Only real choice to make is whether you need closed in rear storage or seats of Suburban v. open pickup bed of an Avalanche...

As one who is occasionally tow-power challenged with 1500 Suburban pulling 5500# 25' trailer (ours is pre-Vortec and only 200hp max..) I'd echo endorsements for bigger engine or even diesel to improve both power and fuel mileage... (Ours drops from 15mpg empty to 10mpg when trailer follows us down the road..)

All the "wheelbase" comments are valid as well. We used to pull 24' trailer behind short-wheelbase full size Ford Bronco, and that was truly a thrilll on windy day with trucks passing on freeway... Suburban and longer wheelbase made HUUGE difference.

Despite some opposition, Ford Excursion has length and power to tow yours pretty well also. Now is good time to consider late model used trucks instead of new, as $2+/gallon gas is panicking some owners into selling quickly, and good deals might be had for a lot less than new...

John McG

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Condoluminum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2004, 08:55 PM   #16
BIG BOW

1987 32' Excella
1999 35' Cutter Diesel Bus w/slide
Clover , South Carolina
Hold on guys. Don't put down the Titan until you're tried it. I'm pulling a 31 ft Classic with a Titan Crew Cab and it is great, even in the mountains. It has 378 lbs of torque at 3500 RPM and about 90% of that at 2500 RPM. I traded in a 6.8L F250 that couldn't match the Titan in power or gas mileage.
I'm not saying it is the greatest tow vehicle on the road, but it's not far behind.
Gened is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2004, 09:25 PM   #17

Titan vs Avalanche vs Ford etc...

The Nissanusa website allows a comparison of three other trucks - Titan beats all up to full size. The Titan seems to have the power.

It looks like it comes down to weight and wheelbase.I would need to trade that and (the safety it offers) for what is an easier truck for city driving, and offers more luxury without going for a lot of mods...
Old 08-17-2004, 09:45 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Sunnyvale , California
Send a message via AIM to Condoluminum
The Dark Side of Wheelbases..

As long as dialogue still bouncing back and forth, there is a downside to having nice long frame and wheelbase for stability: Suburbans and Excursions and Avalanches are real difficult to maneuver in tight quarters, or to make U-Turns... Some have 4 wheel steering, though I'd be leery of that option, but regular truck will turn around in street width, while Suburban needs a few tries back and forth. With 34' of house in back and triple axles, There may be some tight corners in places that you just can't get into or out of... You'd have to be a lifetime member of the "Gimme a Pullthrough" campers club...

John McG

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Condoluminum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2004, 09:54 PM   #19
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gened
Hold on guys. Don't put down the Titan until you're tried it. I'm pulling a 31 ft Classic with a Titan Crew Cab and it is great, even in the mountains. It has 378 lbs of torque at 3500 RPM and about 90% of that at 2500 RPM. I traded in a 6.8L F250 that couldn't match the Titan in power or gas mileage.
I'm not saying it is the greatest tow vehicle on the road, but it's not far behind.
Well there was your first problem...you had an F-250!

Here are some specs I pulled off the Nissanusa site and the Chevy site:

Armada...final drive gear 3.357
Suburban 3.73 or optional 4.10

Armada wheel bas 123.xx inches
Suburban 130.xx inches

Armada 5.6L 305hp@4900rpm
Suburban (3/4) 6.0L 335HP@5200rpm

Armada torque 385@3600rpm
Suburban 6.0L 375 @4000

Armada tow capacity 6100 or
9100lbs with no gear change just a tow package?

Suburban tow capacity
9600lbs 4x4 w/ 4.10 gears or 9100 w/availible quadrasteer

Looks to me like the Armada has the meat of a 1/2ton with a short wheelbase.

Now let's look at the Titan

305 hp@ 4900rpm
379 torque@ 3600rpm

Not bad. Also has a much longer wheel base than the Armada.

What I am unclear about is how they say that their final drive calculations are similar to 3.73s and 4.10s. I smell some funny numbers game here.

So, compared to a Suburban, the closest thing would be the crew cab Titan with the big tow package. I'd just want to know how they come up with the "similar to a 3.73 or 4.10" statements. If that part was on the up and up, the Titan might be a good tow vehicle too if you are looking for a pickup.
Old 08-17-2004, 09:56 PM   #20
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBMcG
As long as dialogue still bouncing back and forth, there is a downside to having nice long frame and wheelbase for stability: Suburbans and Excursions and Avalanches are real difficult to maneuver in tight quarters, or to make U-Turns... Some have 4 wheel steering, though I'd be leery of that option, but regular truck will turn around in street width, while Suburban needs a few tries back and forth. With 34' of house in back and triple axles, There may be some tight corners in places that you just can't get into or out of... You'd have to be a lifetime member of the "Gimme a Pullthrough" campers club...

John McG
If you're willing to shell out the $$ for Quadrasteer, a few folks here on the forum have it and say it's the best invention since the wheel itself. I can undertand the hesitation, but folks felt the same way when the horse was taken away from the carrage and the internal combustion engine was introduced. Same with fuel injection, computer engine management, etc. At some point it's a given that as with anything mechanical, upkeep and repair continues to cost more and more. However, if one has the means, this is one of those things that has really made a difference from what I've heard and read here. Me, I didn't have the extra bucks to lay down for it, even with the GM rebates on the '04s.

But I'll say this...coming from the camp of cars/trucks with smaller wheel bases, I'll take the u-turn hardships and all every day of the week and 2x on Sunday to have the piece of mind and stability of towing with a longer wheelbase. I've seen a few folks that can't handle it and I have seen a few folks really do well with it. To me, the end justifies the means. Just my .02.