Old 05-15-2018, 12:19 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2018 23' Flying Cloud
Eagle Creek , OR
Send a message via Skype™ to almcate
Arrow Traction, stability controls on F150

Recently changed my TV to 2015 F150 3.5L turbo which automatically activates traction control, electronic stability control, and roll stability control. There are various options to enable, disable, or set a less sensitive threshold. Seemed like a no brainer safety override with computer generated braking and power adjustments. First trip out had some twisty, hilly roads and my sense was that maybe tow & haul settings and the stability controls were conflicting. Disabling the traction control seemed to smooth things out.
Any clarification of what the computer is doing and whether disabling or lowering sensitivity while towing is advised? Thanks for any advice...Al

2018 Airstream 23FB Flying Cloud
2015 F150 XLT 3.5L EcoBoost, 4WD
almcate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 06:01 AM   #2
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Tire pressure according to scaled load value is first.

I’d want the WD hitch rigging “perfected” (three passes on a certified scale; Steer Axle value solo vs WD engaged the same) to have an idea about how the combined rig is responding.

Pickups have the problem of both abnormal FF/RR weight bias AND a high Center of gravity. Electronic band-aids will always have to come to the rescue earlier with pickups versus other vehicle designs.

Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 08:58 AM   #3
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

There is nothing subtle about Ford's anti-sway when it cuts in. You will have no doubt at all it has done it's thing. The violent braking is one hint. The big message on the display that says it did it's thing is another hint ....

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 10:09 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2018 23' Flying Cloud
Eagle Creek , OR
Oh, definately felt it kick in, tho subtle enough that it took a scan of the Ford manual to decide if I was imagining it. Turning the traction control off certainly seemed to clear up the slight grab I had felt. Reading other posts, it seems that the stabilization on the truck side is more competitive than complementary to anti-sway provided by my Equalizer hitch. Figure to tow with setting off.
Question remains whether the electronic stability and roll stability settings are better turned off or set to a less sensitive threshold. ...Al
Old 05-17-2018, 08:14 AM   #5
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

My decision was to leave it all turned on. The point that things got to in order to activate it was well outside any normal driving conditions. If you have enough sway that you *do* activate it routinely, that part very much needs to be addressed.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 09:28 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2018 23' Flying Cloud
Eagle Creek , OR
Solid advice, Bob. My problem wasn't actual sway, tho, so much as a "grabby" feel in the steering (which I've occasionally felt driving without towing (hilly, curvy roads here abouts). My first thought was that there was a conflict with the tow & haul setting, but it's beginning to seem that the "corrective" breaking/power measures are maybe just way too sensitive. Still don't really know if they would work in conjunction with actual sway suppression from the Equalizer or maybe even compete against. Since there are three components to the truck computer assisted "controls", it gets more complicated from my admittedly ignorant perspective of why & what the truck systems are doing and whether they are designed to work with the towing break controller. ...Al
Old 05-17-2018, 10:34 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2007 27' International CCD FB
San Diego , California
If stability control is activating in nominal or normal conditions, where you are not pushing the car, nor are there significant external forces (e.g. badly adjusted hitch). But you're also saying this happens solo so it's not that.

It could be that there's something mechanically out of spec. The car is detecting a difference between the driver input, and the attitude and heading of the vehicle via the yaw sensors. Which is how the stability control computer senses that it should intervene.

The typical cause for this is something in the suspension or steering causing play or indirection. Could be as simple as alignment or tires. Other times, it's damage or significant wear to a control arm, steering rack, bushing, endlink, or wheel bearing. Could be a bad ABS sensor as well.

I'd take her in and ask for a once over to the alignment and suspension to look for play.
pteck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 10:48 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Fulton , Maryland
Sprinters, the base vehicle for Interstates, have similar stability (ESP) and traction (ASR) control systems. You can disable ASR, but not ESP. Attached Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0001.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	331.8 KB
ID:	311218photo of a special Sprinter I rode in to demonstrate the effectively of ESP at a Mercedes Sprinter Tour event a few years back. The Sprinter has a special factory installed switch to disable ESP and outrigger skids to prevent roll over. It was a fun ride with a professional driver at the wheel.
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 01:33 PM   #9
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by almcate View Post
Oh, definately felt it kick in, tho subtle enough that it took a scan of the Ford manual to decide if I was imagining it. Turning the traction control off certainly seemed to clear up the slight grab I had felt. Reading other posts, it seems that the stabilization on the truck side is more competitive than complementary to anti-sway provided by my Equalizer hitch. Figure to tow with setting off.
Question remains whether the electronic stability and roll stability settings are better turned off or set to a less sensitive threshold. ...Al
1). A different WDH would be a better first step. The two most knowledge AS shops don’t stock or sell the Equalizer brand. It’s an inferior design.

2). A better job in setting the WDH. The Three Pass Method. It also assumes a pickup is warranted. With most rigs out there it was a bad assumption, both solo and for camping. It’s rhe most common rig to be seen. Badly chosen, and very badly hitched.

A). Thus, start with the most basic: what’s the weight of the gear which MUST be carried in the truck bed? Isolate it.

B). Tire pressure according to load. Within the vehicle manufacturers range, and according to the Load & Pressure Table. (Are tires stock size & spec?). Empty or loaded with WD engaged.

Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 01:52 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2007 27' International CCD FB
San Diego , California
As I assume you bought the truck used, does it have an accident history?
pteck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 05:09 AM   #11
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawus"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , Milky Way
It may be time to turn off all electronic TV sway control and get the rig set-up so there is no sway under normal driving conditions.
If it's still activating then address it or return to organic driver initiation.

Bob
🇱🇷

“It’s a crooked piece of time that we live in….”
John Prine

"Tahawus"
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote