Old 05-03-2011, 11:55 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2017 30' Classic
Lexington , Kentucky
Toyota TV hitching?

I just purchased a new Tundra double-cab 5.7L to tow a soon-to-be-purchased 25' Flying Cloud. As I was having a bed cover installed, the salesman told me he had several Tundra owners who towed high tongue-weight trailers come back and buy the air bladders for the rear suspension. I had thought that a good weight distributing hitch (such as Hensley or Propride) would take care of leveling the pickup. Since my hitch weight for the 25' FC (including one of the above hitches) will be around 1,050-1080 lbs., should I take his advice, or will the Tundra (with Hensley or Propride hitch) suspension be enough?

Old 05-03-2011, 12:46 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Dallas , Texas
Tundra suspension

While I haven't towed it enough to give you what I would call a well informed decision, I will shed this light on your question. Am towing 23 foot Safari SE total weight 6000 with 625 hitch weight with new 2011 Tundra double cab.

Have towed twice using Husky WD hitch and Tundra has pretty much sat exactly as it did before i connected the trailer and this was using the wd hitch set up that the PO used.

I'm going to look at the wheel well height measurements next time out so that I have a more "scientific" estimation but towed okay at speeds up to 65... probably could have gone faster but not interested in any land speed records with my new truck

Old 05-03-2011, 03:20 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

1960 24' Tradewind
mount wolf , Pennsylvania
I have a 2008 double cab pulling a 4500lb 1960 24' tradewind. The scales have me with about 500lb tongue weight. The air ride kit was an easy install. I no longer run leveling bars just sway control. This eliminated the stress on the trailer frame and i can adjust the ride height and ride comfort with air pressure. We are very happy after two years of towing so far.
Old 05-03-2011, 03:31 PM   #4
Don't forget your cat nap

Port Orchard , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by wlanford View Post
I just purchased a new Tundra double-cab 5.7L to tow a soon-to-be-purchased 25' Flying Cloud. As I was having a bed cover installed, the salesman told me he had several Tundra owners who towed high tongue-weight trailers come back and buy the air bladders for the rear suspension. I had thought that a good weight distributing hitch (such as Hensley or Propride) would take care of leveling the pickup. Since my hitch weight for the 25' FC (including one of the above hitches) will be around 1,050-1080 lbs., should I take his advice, or will the Tundra (with Hensley or Propride hitch) suspension be enough?
To put it simply, a good weight distribution hitch should level your TV and move the proper amount of weight to the front axle. A rear air bag system will raise up the rear of the truck, but will not address the much more important weight distribution issue. It may look fine, but in fact be too light in the front. Steering and braking will be adversely affected.

Get a weight distribution hitch properly configured for you trailer and TV. Do not get the air bags unless you will be carrying heavy loads in the bed of truck when not towing a trailer. That is what air bags are for. Air bags are useful when towing 5th wheel trailers.

Regards,

Ken
Old 05-03-2011, 04:05 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

1973 31' Excella 500
Marysville , Washington
I haven't needed bags on my Tundra. I lowered the ball about a 1 1/2" with an adjustable hitch, followed the instructions on the Reese dual cam w/ Sway Control, and headed for the weigh station. Spending some time experimenting at the scales revealed that I needed to shorten the WD chains by one link. The weight is properly distributed across all for axles and my TW is approx 12%. The rig looks right to the eye, and looks right on the scale, and drives right.
Old 05-03-2011, 08:43 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2017 30' Classic
Lexington , Kentucky
Thanks all for the feedback. My gut feel was I didn't need the air bladders but I knew my fellow forum members would know for sure.