Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-29-2014, 08:09 AM   #1
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
N/A , N/A
Toyota Tundra to Get Cummins Diesel V-8

Toyota Tundra to Get Cummins Diesel V-8 – News – Car and Driver | Car and Driver Blog

Thought I create a new thread for this topic.

In my opinion, Toyota reliability + Cummins Diesel would make for a great pickup -- Only if they increase the payload a bit more.

Also, Toyota is the only manufacturer that has implemented SAE standards for tow ratings.
rostam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 08:17 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1972 Argosy 20
Snoqualmie , Washington
I never understood the problem introducing a diesel into a small pickup in the US. They are all over Europe and the rest of the world. Must be a pollution EPA thing. Anyway, the next few years are going to be interesting for pickup design. We should definitely start seeing better MPG in the tow rating needed. Right now it looks like 12 MPG while towing is pretty much the norm.
DryFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 09:20 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2023 16' Basecamp
Currently Looking...
Chgo. N.W. Burb's , Illinois
Agree with DryFly .Just got back from Australia and a New Zealand. They had the Toyota HiLux w/Diesel. Awesome . Diesel was the majority of vehicles ,and it was cheaper price than Gas. The variety of campers they had was incredible. Smaller driving units and Bus style campers with Toyota,Fuso,Fiat ,Izuzu,Nissan,VW,Etc. Jayco had Euro style trailers i have not seen here. New Zealand is a campers paradise !
I have not been a fan of Diesel until now. How did we get started with Gas instead of Diesel? Just curious .No Flame or Politics implied.
knunut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 09:34 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2007 27' Safari FB SE
NW Oregon in a nice spot , Oregon
Vanderbilts and Rockefellers killed diesel in the early 1900's because they had oil and transportation for the oil.... Henry Ford is reputed to have initially been a fan of diesel. Then, in the 1970's the next nail in the coffin was laid when GM modified a gasoline engine for diesel that didn't deliver how shall we say....stellar performance.
bweybright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 09:35 AM   #5

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Admittedly, I am not a big foreign car fan, but I welcome this news. I think that an efficient diesel engine in a half ton pick-up will encourage Ford and GM to follow suit if they want to remain competitive.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 10:45 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
I think the big reason was cost, they wanted to be competitive in pricing with GM and Ford trucks, which had the lion's share of the truck market. A diesel engine would widen the price gap more than they would like.

Toyota has several gas engine manufacturing facilities in the US, none for diesel. Just a guess, but I'd say they've been negotiating, testing, etc. with various diesel manufacturers for a while. Toyota suppliers have to meet some rigorous specifications, very low defect rates and agree to meet the necessary 'just in time' delivery schedule with an approved manual backup plan.

Finally, Toyota is slow to make big changes, they prefer to 'tweak' their designs. Their pickups have evolved from the generic, no name pickup to Tacoma, to the grossly underpowered T-100 and finally Tundra, which has been increasing in size since its inception.

After working for them for 16 years I can tell you, Toyota is not interested in being first, they want to be the best.
2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
Rich W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 04:58 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
It seems to me that a Toyota diesel would be s Hino. Isn't Hino a division of Toyota. I remember seeing a YouTube video about a prototype Tundra diesel with a Hino 6 cylinder. I have heard some hearsay rumours of the Nissan Titan getting a Cummins.
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 05:11 PM   #8
'06 75th Winick Prototype

2006 19' International CCD
1968 22' Safari
The Swamps of Hell , Lousy-Anna
Now maybe if Toyota can beef up their frames they can tow their own trucks around. We'll see...

ggoat!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 05:51 PM   #9
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
IMHO it will be a cold day in hell before Toyota puts a Cummins or any NA diesel in its pick ups. Japanese diesels are light years ahead of NA diesels in quality, filtration and durability. Heck the Isuzu diesel in my 310, a 30+ year old engine doesn't even require the use of glow plugs to get going in temps over 40F. If my Isuzu flywheel turns more than 1/4 turn before lighting up I'm surprised.

It would be a Hino diesel just like the 3.4L Hino 4 cly diesel in my 1984 BJ 60 Toyota Landcruiser.

Also FYI, I would also be very shocked if it were to be a V8. V8 diesels are notoriously poor, see pretty well every GM diesel and more than a few Fords…..and yes they were made at a Duramax plant by Isuzu which GM part owns, BUT GM engines are designed by GM, not Isuzu. Isuzu would never make a V diesel themselves.
Isuzusweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 06:52 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by m.hony View Post
It seems to me that a Toyota diesel would be s Hino. Isn't Hino a division of Toyota. I remember seeing a YouTube video about a prototype Tundra diesel with a Hino 6 cylinder. I have heard some hearsay rumours of the Nissan Titan getting a Cummins.
Hino Motors makes large delivery type trucks, like 6-wheel and up. Toyota owns or owned an interest in them. I'm not sure where they stand now. I know there's a relationship of some sort. Hino has a presence in the US but I think all the vehicles are made in Japan and shipped here.

I followed that earlier link and there was something about Nissan putting the Cummins in their pickup also; 500 ft lbs. of torque - woof! But will the ride be soft enough for Airstreams???
2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
Old 04-29-2014, 06:59 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isuzusweet View Post
IMHO it will be a cold day in hell before Toyota puts a Cummins or any NA diesel in its pick ups. Japanese diesels are light years ahead of NA diesels in quality, filtration and durability. Heck the Isuzu diesel in my 310, a 30+ year old engine doesn't even require the use of glow plugs to get going in temps over 40F. If my Isuzu flywheel turns more than 1/4 turn before lighting up I'm surprised.

It would be a Hino diesel just like the 3.4L Hino 4 cly diesel in my 1984 BJ 60 Toyota Landcruiser.

Also FYI, I would also be very shocked if it were to be a V8. V8 diesels are notoriously poor, see pretty well every GM diesel and more than a few Fords…..and yes they were made at a Duramax plant by Isuzu which GM part owns, BUT GM engines are designed by GM, not Isuzu. Isuzu would never make a V diesel themselves.
Not according to Wards Auto:
Toyota Tundra Set to Receive Cummins Diesel | Vehicles & Technology content from WardsAuto

My guess is they will start out with Cummins but eventually replace it with their own version. The article says they've been working with Hino on developing a diesel but stopped. Toyota may elect to restart the program. I can't find anything official from Toyota but there probably won't be anything for a while.
2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
Old 04-29-2014, 07:42 PM   #12
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
Okay I give….Hell has started to freeze over…….

But what a bone headed move…….Why come out with the exact same as your competition??? It doesn't make sense for them to copy cat what Ram,GM and Ford are doing.

If they come out with a V8 Toyota truck with a Cummins, it just shows that Toyota doesn't think with innovation anymore.
Isuzusweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 08:26 PM   #13
Rivet Puller

2003 28' Safari S/O
Atlanta Burbs , Georgia
Inquiring Minds Want To Know

Maybe its because the USA made Cummins is a good product?
SeeMore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 05:51 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
I would think a 6 cylinder diesel would do it, but who knows?
The result of the Hino diesel Tundra prototype back in 2008 + the bad economy was nothing.
Maybe it is all just hype and rumors now.
The logic of why Nissan would have a Cummins eludes me, too, but I have heard that Ram is going to an Italian made diesel-
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 05:55 AM   #15
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
The real Cummins diesel is the six cylinder in the real pickups. Everything else is a compromise, all be it a good compromise. Jim
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 06:56 AM   #16
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
Quote:
Okay I give….Hell has started to freeze over…….

But what a bone headed move…….Why come out with the exact same as your competition??? It doesn't make sense for them to copy cat what Ram,GM and Ford are doing.

If they come out with a V8 Toyota truck with a Cummins, it just shows that Toyota doesn't think with innovation anymore.
The Japanese have always copy catted American products!
Old 04-30-2014, 07:33 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
alexandria , Kentucky
Quote:

Toyota is doing this because they see the big $$$$ that GM, Dodge and Ford profit off of their diesel pickups. This is nothing more than a good business decision plus you have the marketing power of the Cummins name.
Hensley Arrow hitch with adjustable stinger
WBCCI # 3072
crispyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 07:42 AM   #18
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
alexandria , Kentucky
Quote:

The logic of why Nissan would have a Cummins eludes me, too, but I have heard that Ram is going to an Italian made diesel-
Nissan has the Cummins V-8 because Fred Diaz (former head of the truck divsion at Chysler) decided to jump ship in the last year or two and go to Nissan. The Cummins V-8 was originally developed for the Dodge 1500 several years ago. Cummins is now free to sell this engine to whomever.

The Ram 1500 with the Italian VM diesel are hitting the streets now. Reports are good fuel economy (28+ highway - unloaded) but they still have the limited 1/2 ton payload. Should be a decent <25' Airstream puller.
Hensley Arrow hitch with adjustable stinger
WBCCI # 3072
crispyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 07:52 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
Quote:
I would think a 6 cylinder diesel would do it, but who knows?
-
Hype is why. The big trucks are 4 and 6 cylinder diesels and they have plenty of power. But when you're marketing, having V8, 30 mpg and 500 ft lbs. of torque says a lot to the public. For years Chrysler has been touting "it's got a hemi", which is technology from the 60s and most people don't understand anyway, but it sells. Chrysler also has the V10 diesel but no one asks why, they just say "wow".
2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
Old 04-30-2014, 08:05 AM   #20
Rivet Master

The Dodge truck and new Jeep Grand Cherokee are using VM Motori Diesel engine . Vm Motori is owned totally now by Fiat. Fiat as we know owns Chrysler. We own a 2006 Jeep Liberty CRD 4 cylinder turbo diesel built by VM Motori. We get 28-30 mpg, has 160 hp, and 299 torque. As side from maintaining a pesky "rubber timing belt" the little 4 cylinder tractor motor is sweet. It does cackle more than current diesels but we look at the noise as telling those nearby we get "superior"mileage and torque.. (neener, neener)! The newest diesels lack of rattling cackle are no fun. Our '99 Ram 2500 24 valve Cummins is great, too, lots of power Our '10 Merc Sprinter is nice, but too quiet and we have to fill the "pig pee" tank(urea) every 7600 miles since tow the "square stream"
‘62 Overlander 26 ft. ATW Yeager trailer #5289
"62 Airstream 22ft. ATW Hall trailer #83,’90 SQ Sream, ‘06 Bambi Q/S, Prevost Featherlite 45ft, GMC/ Bigfoot camper
Coloradobus is offline   Reply With Quote