Old 05-11-2004, 06:19 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Question Toyota Tundra Bambi 19'

I currently drive a 2001 Toyota Tundra and am considering buying a Bambi 19'. It has a 4.7 liter V8 and automatic transmission. Would this make a decent tow vehicle for a Bambi 19'? At first I thought there would be no problem, but after reading thru this forum I am beginning to wonder. Whart modifications would i need to make and what hitches and sway preventers should I use. I would probably not ever move up to a larger trailer because I am a big believer in Comapc trailers. I will be moving up from a 17" Casita.

thanks,

richard

Old 05-11-2004, 07:35 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1967 28' Ambassador
Rockford , Illinois
Send a message via ICQ to flamingo-kid1 Send a message via AIM to flamingo-kid1
You won't have a bit of trouble pulling a 19' with a Tundra.. we pull a 27 foot vintage Ambassador with no sway bars, and we didn't need a special hitch, either. She pulls like a dream. ***** We did install electric brake controllers, which you probably have already. *** The Tundra is rated 7200 lbs tow capacity. We LOVE ours.

Old 05-11-2004, 07:48 AM   #3
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
I think you'll be ok. I towed a Bambi with a 297hp Chevy sedan w/ 2.93 gears a GCWR of 10,385lbs and a 118" wheelbase without any issues, even in the hilly areas of southern Indiana.

The Tundra has a GCWR of 9200lbs (V8) and a gear ratio of 3.92 (V8) and a 128" wheelbase If you load the truck up with fuel and fill it full of passengers and gear, it should be in the 5300lb range for weight.

The Bambi fully loaded will weigh approx 4600lbs. The Tundra has a body and frame design, so there is little doubt that the truck can also handle the hitch weight.

I would say that if you don't fully load the truck and camper, you should be good even in the mountainous areas if you're careful. If you load both up to the max, you'll be by my calculations about 700lbs over the GCWR rating and well in the upper band for saftey, particularly when in the hills or mountains. Flatland areas, I wouldn't even flinch if you were 700 above the GCWR.

It's true that a 16' Bambi would be a better bet, but I'm thinking you are right on the threshold with a 19', but I still think it's workable. Anything larger and you'd have to either modify the car or get a new tow vehicle. Although with 3.92 gears, it's hard to figure where else you'd do any major upgrades.
Old 05-11-2004, 08:07 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

We just pulled a 22' (?) 1961 Safari 300 miles through the hills with a Toyota TACOMA with only the little one side sway thing. No electric brakes.

Ours was loaded with stuff and the tanks were full.

NO problems at all except acceleration on long grades.

I really think that there is a great deal of overkill nowdays with SUV's and tow vehicles. These things were designed to be pulled with old 6 cylinder cars and V8's with 175 hp.
Old 05-11-2004, 09:28 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1999 34' Limited
2002 19' Bambi
Allen , Texas
Thumbs up You will be fine

We tow our '02 19' Bambi with an '02 Ford Sport Trac using a Hensley Arrow hitch to enhance stability and prevent sway. The Sport Trac has a 4L, 210HP, 240ft lb torque engine mated to a true 5sp auto tranny and a 4:10 rear end. The Sport Trac has a full cab on frame design with 127" wheelbase. The combo works well. We have had the rig in the Rocky Mnts and it pulls with no problems at 55MPH. In less challenging situations, the Sport Trac can easily maintain 70+MPH day in and day out.

Although, some may disagree, the Bambi is JUST as prone to induced oscillation (away) as any other A/S. Yes, you can tow it with just an equalizing hitch, but as I have stated before, waiting until you know you need sway control may very well be too LATE. Install a good hitch (Reese Dual Cam is an excellent design) or for even more sway protection (actually prevents it from beginning), look into the Hensley or PullRite. Obviously, I am biased to Hensley, but have significant experience with Reese so I have no issues with recommending it as well. Remember sway is typically started by factors totally outside your control (18 wheelers, crosswind gusts, tire blowouts, etc), so consider the cost of your Tundra, the Bambi, the value of all the stuff you carry, and finally the value of your family and I think you will see that even the Hensley looks pretty reasonable.

BTW, the current Bambi generation is pretty hefty at the hitch. A/S rates it 500#s, so while you might be able to tow without a equalizing hitch, 500#s on the tailend of your Tundra WILL negatively affect overhaul stability and handling. An equalizing hitch will distribute that weight evenly to both the front and rear tires.

You also may want to add a Hayden Transcooler to the Tundra even if it has a factory tow package. Our Sport Trac came with an external tranny cooler, but at about 20K miles, we discovered that the fluid had changed color toward the brown side ever so slightly, which indicated it had been a bit hotter than desired. We added the 13,500# rated cooler in series with the factory installation and to ensure excellent airflow, added a thermostatic controlled electric fan in front of the Hayden cooler, in addition to having the tranny fully flushed and all new fluid installed. Since adding the additional cooler, the fluid has not showed any signs of stress.

david
Air Forums # 2159
Past President Heart of Texas Camping Unit
WBCCI # 7548
dtbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2004, 09:50 AM   #6
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlboro Mafia
These things were designed to be pulled with old 6 cylinder cars and V8's with 175 hp.
This statement could never be more true. They **were** designed to be towed as they were lighter back in the earlier days. Today's coaches are much heavier. Although I would agree that there is a fluff factor, I wouldn't stray too far unless you know what you are doing.

Eric
Old 05-11-2004, 09:51 AM   #7
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
DTBW hit it right on the head....the Bambi is just as prone as any coach to sway and understanding that you need sway control after the fact could be a harsh lesson to learn. Having owned a 2003 Bambi, I can say that you do need sway control.
Old 05-11-2004, 10:08 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Texas Airstream Harbor , Zavalla, in the Deep East Texas Piney Woods on Lake Sam Rayburn
Like Ed Anger - I just can't take it any more!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlboro Mafia
These things were designed to be pulled with old 6 cylinder cars and V8's with 175 hp.

People, people, people......

The tow rating is Not about PULLING it, it's about CONTROL and STOPPING in an emergency situation.

Yeah, the older cars (50's and 60's) pulled the lighter airstreams with only 175 HP, h*ll, my 18 horsepower John Deer will PULL a trailer, note that the 50's and 60's cars were a two to three ton mass controllling a two ton trailer at speeds of around 50 mph mostly on roads designed for 50 mph!

It's simple physics!!!!

Big trailer + Little tow vehicle with short wheelbase (regardless of horsepower) = Big Time problem in an emergency situation.

Throw a velocity squared somewhere into the above equation.

Worst of all, *I* might be the recipient of the stupidity of a driver of a Yugo pulling a 34' Classic.

Use some Common Sense!!!

If you don't have any of your own, borrow some from the members here on the Forum who have "been there....done that" ....and will never compromise their own (or others) safety again!!!

I wish I had taken a picture of the 23 trailers that had been rolled now sitting on Airstream Row at Colaw's RV Salvage.

Too bad we can't ask each and every one of their former owners if they thought that THEY (the former owners) had "enough" tow vehicle AFTER the accident.

"Suck it up, spend the bucks, do it right the first time."

WBCCI # 1113
AirForums #1737

Trailer '78 31' Sovereign

Living Large at an Airstream Park on the Largest Lake Totally Contained in Texas
Texas Airstream Harbor, Inc.
87MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2004, 10:30 AM   #9
4 Rivet Member

1999 34' Limited
2002 19' Bambi
Allen , Texas
I think we are in agreement....

87MH,
I do totally agree that inadequate tow vehicles (PARTICULARLY short wheelbase SUVs...110-115" wheelbase) are a plague to safety. On the other hand, this thread was about using a Tundra (a 128" wheelbase, cab on full boxed frame construction, 240HP, pickup) to tow a 19' Bambi. The Tundra is more than capable of safely towing, handling and stopping a 19' Bambi with plenty of reserve.

I do agree that that tow vehicles of the 60s were a different animal. Airstreams were NEVER designed to be towed with 6 cylinder engines. My parents and several other family members had A/S in the 60s/70s and they all towed with behemoth sedans that had 127-130' wheelbases, weighted almost 5000#s and had large block V8s with LOTS of low end torque. They also all used equalizing hitches with sway control systems (Reese and EZ-Lift were the common hitches). A/Ss from that period were also a different animal. They were much lighter (500-1000# lighter). They had less hitch weight (350-500# typical) and as you pointed out, most people towed at slower speeds and in less congested traffic situations that typical today.

So, I think we are on the same page, but back to answering Richard's original question...Yes the Tundra is a FINE choice for towing a 19' Bambi...BUT, I would NOT put a 30-34 footer behind it as that would clearly be inappropriate.

david
Air Forums # 2159
Past President Heart of Texas Camping Unit
WBCCI # 7548
dtbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2004, 11:17 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Texas Airstream Harbor , Zavalla, in the Deep East Texas Piney Woods on Lake Sam Rayburn
Rtate's original question - Thread divergence

"but back to answering Richard's original question...Yes the Tundra is a FINE choice for towing a 19' Bambi...BUT...."

Total agreement - Bambi and Tundra are an excellent match.

It's just that these "Can I tow a ....with a ...." ALWAYS lead to the same inevitable discussion.......

The preponderance of thought process seems to be "The (too small) tow vehicle can tow it FAST..... so it MUST be safe."

Just throwing some words of caution on the fuel base prior to someone torching it.

Ability to pull a load up a hill at 80 mph does not necessarily make a "safe" tow vehicle.

"Suck it up, spend the bucks, do it right the first time."

WBCCI # 1113
AirForums #1737

Trailer '78 31' Sovereign

Living Large at an Airstream Park on the Largest Lake Totally Contained in Texas
Texas Airstream Harbor, Inc.
87MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2004, 04:29 PM   #11
1 Rivet Member

WOW! THats a lot of information. Sounds like I will probably be ok, but an equalizer hitch and sway bars are recommended.

Tahnsk to all who replied.

richard
Old 05-11-2004, 05:40 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

Austin , Texas
I have a 2003 Tundra pulling a 1987 29' Sovereign with a Reese Dual Cam HP and I love it. No problems. Trailers were a lot lighter in 1987 than they are now though.

Joe
Old 05-11-2004, 08:42 PM   #13
1 Rivet Member

Joe,

Thanks for the info. I have been pulling a 17" Casita and was surprised that it downshifted so much in any kind on hilly area. The Casita only weighs about 2400 lbs.

What kind of milage do you get?

Richard

a 1987 29' Sovereign with a Reese Dual Cam HP and I love it. No problems. Trailers were a lot lighter in 1987 than they are now though.

Joe[/QUOTE]
Old 05-11-2004, 08:43 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

2003 22' International
Waverly , Pennsylvania
I have a 2003 Tundra Limited outfitted with the factory tow package and a Reese weight distributing hitch system. I use it to tow my 22 foot Airstream International. I am very happy with this set-up and can honestly say that except for the camper looming in my rear-view mirror; many times I am almost unaware that Iím towing something.

We live in northeastern Pennsylvania so no matter where our destination we usually have some mountains to climb. The truck does a great job of pulling the trailer and havenít yet encountered a problem with sway even traveling on Routes 81 and 84 with all of the big rig traffic and unpredictable cross winds encountered.