Old 05-11-2004, 08:49 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member
Austin , Texas
Originally Posted by rtate

Thanks for the info. I have been pulling a 17" Casita and was surprised that it downshifted so much in any kind on hilly area. The Casita only weighs about 2400 lbs.

What kind of milage do you get?

a 1987 29' Sovereign with a Reese Dual Cam HP and I love it. No problems. Trailers were a lot lighter in 1987 than they are now though.

Richard - I get about 10 mpg. Not great, but I also tow with the overdrive off which is suggested in the Tundra's owners manual. Speaking of overdrive have you tried towing with that switched off?.......might cut down on the shifting if your not already doing so. Joe

Joe Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2004, 08:52 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member
Austin , Texas
Richard, Forgot to mention - my 29' trailers dry weight is 5300. Joe

Joe Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2004, 06:52 AM   #17
2 Rivet Member
So no one agrees that there is lot of overkill with tow vehicles today?

My answer related to older AS. As I said, I have no problem braking with the Safari and my Tacoma. I do have a good bit of downshifting on hills, and I am careful to switch off the overdrive and switch on the Toyota towing power button thingy.

The Airstream logo bicylce guy obviously had a great deal of testicular grandeur.
Marlboro Mafia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2004, 12:01 PM   #18
4 Rivet Member
1999 34' Limited
2002 19' Bambi
Allen , Texas
On the side of caution

Marlboro Mafia,
As for overkill, there may be a few with a bit more tow vehicle than absolutely required, but by and large, not only the members of this forum, but most A/Sers are towing with largely compatable vehicles. While it may seem that tow vehicles have become the latest "mine is bigger than yours" toy, the reality is that the large diesel engines are more economical for the full-timers and they offer tremendous torque which really is nice when pulling mountain passes. Until recently, most A/Sers were towing 27-34' models and with the current generation of A/Ss having gained more than just a little weight, the only adequate tow vehicle available has been a big truck or van with a huge V8 or diesel. As the smaller A/Ss are regaining popularity, new tow vehicle options are emerging. What is scary is that many new comers to towing are not aware of the physics involved and lack good rule of thumb guidelines. The compact SUVs are poor choices for tow vehicles, not because of engine or tow ratings, but because of short wheelbases. You really need at least 120" of wheelbase to be safe with the shorter A/Ss and around 130" or more for the longer A/Ss. As long as those using larger tow vehicles avoid allowing overconfidence to set in, a larger tow vehicle is a positive factor, while even the best driver can't overcome an inadequate or inproperly setup rig.

BTW, you mentioned that your A/S does not have electric brakes. Does that mean, no brakes period, or does your vintage beauty have hydraulic surge brakes? If you are lacking any kind of trailer braking, you are breaking the law in virtually every state and risking yourself, your rig and those around you. While it varies from state to state, most states require brakes for trailers over 3000#. Some are lower, like CA at 1500# and a few like Alaska are higher at 5000#. Understand that your Tacoma brakes were not designed to stop an RV and the truck. Also trailer brakes keep the trailer pulling against the hitch during panic stops, which keeps it in a straight line behind the tow vehicle. You can also engage the trailer brakes with the controller to stop sway. Without brakes the natural tendency of any trailer in such a situation is to keep going and that means, it most likely will try to pass the rig towing it (jacknife) and total loss of control.

Towing is not rocket science, but it is not seat-of-the pants either.

david & bret
'02 Bambi LS
'99 34' Limited
Air Forums # 2159
Past President Heart of Texas Camping Unit
WBCCI # 7548
dtbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2004, 06:58 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member
I have electric brakes not surge. I broke the law but have since remedied the situation.

Marlboro Mafia is offline   Reply With Quote