Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-14-2015, 08:33 PM   #661
2 Rivet Member

2003 25' Safari
Grayling , Michigan
tundra towing

we traded our lemon Chevy and bought a new Tundra in 07 to tow our 25' safari. We drove it 121, 000 trouble free miles--back and forth across the Rockies--the 5.7 did as well as the 8.1 Chevy with better, though not great mileage. The Tundra still had 30% left on the original brake linings. We were not looking for a new truck, but got a great deal on a new 2012 Tundrathat now has 60, 000 miles on it. Again no problems except a malfunction of the flex fuel sensor recall. Has always been 100% reliable. Both trucks were/are SR5 models. No problems towing though with kayaks on the roof have not enhanced gas mileage at all. Usually tow in gear 5, mileage is as good as using 6, and the truck is much more powerful.
Not sure if I would go bigger than a 25', and with all the decontenting Toyota has done on this truck since 07 and 12, I am not sure I would buy another one, maybe looking at the new Titan in a couple years. Mileage on the 12 has ranged from a low of just over 10 towing, to a maximum of 19.7 solo. Usually around 12-13 towing. Just got new Michelin LT tires and anxious to see if they help with the loads with and without the trailer. This is the first set of replacement tires. there seem to be a lot of new innovative trucks out there, I'm just hoping Toyota gets it's act together, it started downhill with the 2014 and none of the "improvements" have helped mileage or towing capability. Good luck!
cando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 02:00 PM   #662
Rivet Master

2015 23' FB International
2007 19' International CCD
Steamboat Springs , Colorado
The "de-contenting" of the Tundra is quite shocking. My friend just purchased a 2015 Tundra, having sold his 2001 with 230,000 miles. We did a brief comparison of my 2010 LTD with his 2015 LTD, and noted the following features that his does not have:

• folding mirrors-this is a major inconvenience (Q-when the tow package is purchased why doesn't Toyota include tow mirrors???)
  • map pockets on back of front seats
  • second sun visor
  • grab handles on drivers side
  • upper glove box
  • center storage lid does not extend
  • smaller fog lights
These are just the immediate items we noticed. It seems like you would have to go to the Platinum or 1794 (?) model to get the features once found on the LTD.

I may expand my replacement considerations to include Ford/GMC etc. if it the reliability of engines and transmission can be validated.
Steamy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 02:33 PM   #663
4 Rivet Member

Rockingham , North Carolina
Saw a 2015 Tundra 4x4 1794 short bed today at the dealer. Nicest interior I've seen yet and I have seen all the trucks in last month. Literally. Our deciding factor will be payload as to whether we can add the Tundra to our short list.

Screwy thing today...

The above truck door sticker read payload 1300 lbs. 2015 Toyota Tundra brouchure said 1525 lbs. Exact model, trim, cab, and 4x4 were checked. Two sales reps and a manager after 20 minutes said they would call Toyota. Got a call an hour ago saying that the 1300 lb payload sticker was for the bed only. I had the opinion that payload was total capacity for passengers, fuel, and any cargo in cab or bed. Total weight.

What say you?

Dan
NC
Danattherock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 03:29 PM   #664

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danattherock View Post
Saw a 2015 Tundra 4x4 1794 short bed today at the dealer. Nicest interior I've seen yet and I have seen all the trucks in last month. Literally. Our deciding factor will be payload as to whether we can add the Tundra to our short list.

Screwy thing today...

The above truck door sticker read payload 1300 lbs. 2015 Toyota Tundra brouchure said 1525 lbs. Exact model, trim, cab, and 4x4 were checked. Two sales reps and a manager after 20 minutes said they would call Toyota. Got a call an hour ago saying that the 1300 lb payload sticker was for the bed only. I had the opinion that payload was total capacity for passengers, fuel, and any cargo in cab or bed. Total weight.

What say you?

Dan
NC
Unless that "for the bed only" comes signed on Toyota Motor Sales USA corporate letterhead, I'm betting it's the entire payload. It's a pretty normal number for a top-trim crew-cab 4x4 half-ton these days.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 04:35 PM   #665
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
The payload sticker on the door states "the combined weight of occupants and cargo should never exceed XXXXlbs" The sales person is the last person to take advice from.

Kelvin
Old 07-21-2015, 04:58 PM   #666
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
Typically there are several weight ratings for each vehicle manufactured. While the given weight may be acceptable in one area, all areas are needed to be within the design of any vehicle.
GVWR Gross Vehicle Weight Rating
GCWR Gross Combined Weight Rating
GAWR Gross Axle Weight Rating - Front and Rear
Pay Load capacity
Cargo capacity
Towing capacity

Some are stamped on the door decal and some have to be obtained else where. And things like towing capacity may be dependant on optional equipment. To use terms interchangability can lead to an incorrect conclusion. In addition knowing the defination of a term used by the vehicle manufacturer gets a clearer picture of how a vehicle can handle certain loads. Some terms are mandated by the Government like GVWR and others not so much.

>>>>>>>>>>>>Action
Old 07-21-2015, 05:05 PM   #667
4 Rivet Member

Just went to another dealer. Same thing. No answers.

2015 Tundra limited 4x4 TRD.

2015 Toyota brouchure says 1535 lb payload.

Door sticker says "all passenger and gear" 1390 lbs.

So with 1794 model a 225 lb disparity. With Limited TRD model a 145 lb disparity.
Old 07-21-2015, 05:10 PM   #668
4 Rivet Member

Can anyone explain the disparity in published payloads compared to door stickers?
Old 07-21-2015, 05:42 PM   #669
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
The brochures are not accurate just generalizations. The brochure doesn't break it down according to the options you choose. The only way to insure you are getting the desired payload is to check the door label payload sticker.

Having said that no one on this and other forums has reported failures to axles, suspension, engine, transmission towing over payload by a few hundred pounds.

Kelvin
Old 07-21-2015, 06:27 PM   #670
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steamy1 View Post
The "de-contenting" of the Tundra is quite shocking. My friend just purchased a 2015 Tundra, having sold his 2001 with 230,000 miles. We did a brief comparison of my 2010 LTD with his 2015 LTD, and noted the following features that his does not have:

• folding mirrors-this is a major inconvenience (Q-when the tow package is purchased why doesn't Toyota include tow mirrors???)
  • map pockets on back of front seats
  • second sun visor
  • grab handles on drivers side
  • upper glove box
  • center storage lid does not extend
  • smaller fog lights
These are just the immediate items we noticed. It seems like you would have to go to the Platinum or 1794 (?) model to get the features once found on the LTD.

I may expand my replacement considerations to include Ford/GMC etc. if it the reliability of engines and transmission can be validated.

The back seats fold up instead of down and no longer recline. The seat backs are stationary. There is no access to behind the seat for storage.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 06:28 PM   #671
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Can anyone explain the disparity in published payloads compared to door stickers?
Hi, for example, on my F-150 the book said 1900 lbs, but since my truck came with the off road package, I lost 155 lbs due to the skid plates. My Actual payload is 1745 lbs marked on my door sticker.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 10:38 PM   #672
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
N/A , N/A
Quote:

The published payload is the MAXIMUM payload, for a barebones vehicle with no options. Any options you add to your vehicle (sun roof, skid plates, running boards, power seats, etc) reduces that, and is reflected on the door sticker number. Published payload figures are good for advertising and nothing else. Door sticker number is what matters.
rostam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 11:08 PM   #673
4 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rostam View Post
The published payload is the MAXIMUM payload, for a barebones vehicle with no options. Any options you add to your vehicle (sun roof, skid plates, running boards, power seats, etc) reduces that, and is reflected on the door sticker number. Published payload figures are good for advertising and nothing else. Door sticker number is what matters.

So I am finding out.

Problem is in the Toyota brouchure, their website, etc. It specifically states in print that a 2015 Tundra 1794 4x4 short bed truck has a payload of 1525 lbs!!

It didn't say Tundra max cab. Or some generic name. It stated the option, package, drivetrain, and bed size.

This truck had no other weight robbing options that I saw. Just the 1794 trim which is nothing but badging and different leather seats. Where the hell did the other 225 lbs go??

Same thing with the 2015 Limited 4x4. Book states 1535 lb payload, truck door sticker said 1390 lbs. At best, it's misleading. But this truck had the TRD option so that may account for the 145 lb loss in payload. Apparently stickers and Bilstein shocks are very heavy.

Name one other 1/2 ton truck with a 1300 lb payload? Is this normal? Honestly, I don't know. The Tundra is the only one I would consider. It's a beautiful truck.

It's my fondness, not hatred, for the Tundra that has me looking for clarity. I really want one. To the point we had considered a much smaller Airstream. Two dealerships were stifled today. The latter put in a call to the person that trains the sales staff and will call me upon hearing.

Still thinking about buying a Ford F-250 XL for 33-35k for towing and buying the Tundra as daily driver, fishing truck, hauling whitewater raft trailer to Tenn tent camping and fly fishing, hauling kayak trailer around closer to home, etc. I loved what I saw in the Tundra. Sans sticker on driver door.

My 2005 Tahoe grocery getter has 1550 on the door.

Maybe I'm just expecting too much. But 1300 lbs is nothing. I've read where some experienced Airstreamers are towing 27-28' campers with this truck. With the hitch weight around 900-950 lbs in some cases. That leaves 350-400 lbs for people in the truck and all gear folks would have in truck and cab. Doesn't seem possible. Guess I'm wrong.

Hook up any 800-900 lb hitch weight trailer and tell me how the family is supposed to go along with it without going over the stated payload on the door sticker. I sought out the lightest hitch weight, yet suitable, Airstream this afternoon with my wife. A 27' twin FC was 781 lbs. That leaves us 500 lbs for us, our two small kids, dog, and gear.

I weigh 320 lbs.

325 lbs after dinner

Dan
Old 07-22-2015, 01:11 PM   #674
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
There is only one 1794 payload listed because there is only one 1794 cab and option choice- 1794 CrewMax-
A DoubleCab SR5 would have more payload- smaller cab + less options = higher payload.
The springs, transmissions, and rear ends are the same across the model lineup.
TAC #MS-10
Airforums #70955
Old 07-22-2015, 02:01 PM   #675
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
It is optional equipment that takes away from the load capacity. The load capacity is designed into the base vehicle. Start adding options and those options weigh something. That something is calculated and reduces the load capacity.

Manual transmission versus automatic
AC versus non-AC
AM radio versus 4 speaker sound system
The list goes on and on. Some options only amount to a pound or less. Others more. Add them together and a fully loaded or every option available weight adds to weight that is no longer available to handle a load.

>>>>>>>>>>>Action
Old 07-22-2015, 02:38 PM   #676
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
All us Tundra owners are over payload when towing our Airstreams.

Kelvin
Old 07-22-2015, 05:02 PM   #677
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Action View Post
It is optional equipment that takes away from the load capacity. The load capacity is designed into the base vehicle. Start adding options and those options weigh something. That something is calculated and reduces the load capacity.

Manual transmission versus automatic
AC versus non-AC
AM radio versus 4 speaker sound system
The list goes on and on. Some options only amount to a pound or less. Others more. Add them together and a fully loaded or every option available weight adds to weight that is no longer available to handle a load.

>>>>>>>>>>>Action
There is no stick shift/clutch Tundra.
All Tundras have a/c.
All Tundras have at least 6 speakers and CD.
TAC #MS-10
Airforums #70955
Old 07-22-2015, 06:02 PM   #678
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
I don't know what comes standard and what is optional for Toyota. I do know how manufacturers create the capacities standards you guys are speaking about and wondering how did that number get created. The above is just an example of what could to be used.
Any optional equipment (except maybe paint) has a weight of some type. That weight in a cumulitive amount is deducted from the load capacity on each unit when the door stickers are attached.

http://www.cars.com/toyota/tundra/20...dard-equipment

The optional cup holders in the rear would be an example of the extreme. Likely they have an engineering weight assigned of a pound. And that is one pound less of towing capacity. Pretty extreme and combine that with other options and it starts to be significant.
Skid plates
Navagation systems
Dual exhaust - however this option may also increase towing capacity while adding addition weight to the vehicle.

If you exceed that weight or not is not relevant to how the load capacity is determined. You bought the vehicle you should be able to operate the vehicle as you please. The stipulation the manufacturer has is if you exceed the designed ability of the vehicle the manufacture is under no obligation to pay for warrantee repairs. And coming from the industry that line isn't so black and white either.

>>>>>>>>>>>>Action
Old 07-22-2015, 06:14 PM   #679
4 Rivet Member

What escapes me is how they get away with printing and distributing millions of brochures claiming a falsely elevated payload number that would be completely impossible to realize.

I'm pretty damn sure I can't order a Tundra without a windshield. Might swing by tomorrow and ask how much they will knock off the door sticker if I let them keep the door, sticker still attached.

You would have to take off 225 lbs of crap you were forced to buy, and required to have in most cases, in order to actually have a Tundra 1974 with 1525 lbs of payload.

I don't care how it's rationalized, it's a lie. Period.

They should put a payload number on the sticker that reflects what a given model Tundra is capable of, sans any ADDITIONAL options that would cut into the weight.

Dan
Old 07-23-2015, 03:58 AM   #680
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Wife lost 20#.
I lost 20#.
Cat died. There's 11#.
We've got 51# more leeway than we had before-
It is also easier for us to pass in the aisle of the trailer-