Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-07-2014, 03:24 PM   #361
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Kelvin, the payload is 1,580 lbs. according to the book, but the sticker says 1,395. That's less than yours because 4WD weighs more. I assumed because everything is standard on the truck, payload was like it said in the book—not the owner's manual, but an advertising book Toyota uses to promote trucks and cars. Assumptions are not reliable, but I never bothered to look at the sticker. The difference of nearly 200 lbs. must be because of the tow package, but that seems excessive. I'm not sure what else could decrease payload since it was pretty much a stock SR5. I guess we are over the limit.

I put some of the heaviest stuff—tools—behind the front seats to distribute the weight between axles. I also carry the trailer spare at the front of the bed transferring some weight from the rear truck axle to the front axle of the truck. This reduces tongue weight as well.

There used to be lot of posts that you should only carry 80% of payload. I haven't seen that lately. I never saw anyone prove that made sense except that if you carry less you have less wear and tear, but no one quantified it or showed it to be significant.

We just got to 98,000 miles with the Tundra and it still performs like new. More payload would be nice, but truck prices have skyrocketed because sales are now so strong. I'd wait 'til sales drop off before I'd consider a new truck and then I'll be looking for better gas mileage as well as reliability and performance.

I'm trying to decide whether I should change the oil less frequently. The 2013 FJ Cruiser we bought recommended 10,000 mile oil changes because it uses full synthetic oil. I've always used full synthetic in the Tundra. I'm letting it go past the recommended 5,000 miles and I think I'm at 6,400 now. It wasn't too long ago they recommended 3,500 miles then went to 5,000. I asked a dealer shop manager about it and he had never thought about it so he defaulted to 5,000—no thinking there.

Gene

The Airstream is sold; a 2016 Nash 24M replaced it.
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 04:21 PM   #362
3 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Boise , Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene View Post
Kelvin, the payload is 1,580 lbs. according to the book, but the sticker says 1,395. That's less than yours because 4WD weighs more. I assumed because everything is standard on the truck, payload was like it said in the book—not the owner's manual, but an advertising book Toyota uses to promote trucks and cars. Assumptions are not reliable, but I never bothered to look at the sticker. The difference of nearly 200 lbs. must be because of the tow package, but that seems excessive. I'm not sure what else could decrease payload since it was pretty much a stock SR5. I guess we are over the limit.

I put some of the heaviest stuff—tools—behind the front seats to distribute the weight between axles. I also carry the trailer spare at the front of the bed transferring some weight from the rear truck axle to the front axle of the truck. This reduces tongue weight as well.

There used to be lot of posts that you should only carry 80% of payload. I haven't seen that lately. I never saw anyone prove that made sense except that if you carry less you have less wear and tear, but no one quantified it or showed it to be significant.

We just got to 98,000 miles with the Tundra and it still performs like new. More payload would be nice, but truck prices have skyrocketed because sales are now so strong. I'd wait 'til sales drop off before I'd consider a new truck and then I'll be looking for better gas mileage as well as reliability and performance.

I'm trying to decide whether I should change the oil less frequently. The 2013 FJ Cruiser we bought recommended 10,000 mile oil changes because it uses full synthetic oil. I've always used full synthetic in the Tundra. I'm letting it go past the recommended 5,000 miles and I think I'm at 6,400 now. It wasn't too long ago they recommended 3,500 miles then went to 5,000. I asked a dealer shop manager about it and he had never thought about it so he defaulted to 5,000—no thinking there.

Gene
Gene...you inspired me to trek across the street and check my door sticker. My 2008 Tundra 2WD SR5 Double Cab with Trailer Pkg. and TRD Off-Road package, shows cargo weight at 1475 lbs. But...there is also this sticker which tells me to subtract 380 lbs. Which brings me down to 1100 lbs? So with wife, tonneau cover, tool box and about a 12-pack (no ice) I'm over loaded. Any idea what the label could refer to?

Gene
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Tundraload_resized.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	134.0 KB
ID:	228181  
No. 13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 05:41 PM   #363
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Holly Lake Ranch , Texas
I think I read somewhere that Toyota had put those stickers on to be n compliance with federal standards a couple years ago. Could be wrong

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Goal15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 06:17 PM   #364
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
N/A , N/A
Quote:
Originally Posted by No. 13 View Post
Gene...you inspired me to trek across the street and check my door sticker. My 2008 Tundra 2WD SR5 Double Cab with Trailer Pkg. and TRD Off-Road package, shows cargo weight at 1475 lbs. But...there is also this sticker which tells me to subtract 380 lbs. Which brings me down to 1100 lbs? So with wife, tonneau cover, tool box and about a 12-pack (no ice) I'm over loaded. Any idea what the label could refer to?

Gene
I think a trip to CAT scale would give you your exact payload :-)
For our SUV, the door sticker is the published payload minus the weight of a full tank of fuel (roughly, 1400# - 200# = 1200#).
rostam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 08:53 AM   #365
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
So does the manufacturer weigh each car as it comes off the assembly line, print off the sticker and attach it to the vehicle door frame?

Kelvin
KJRitchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 08:58 AM   #366
4 Rivet Member

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Bozman , Maryland
One thing that can affect payload is wheels and tires. 20 inch wheels and lower profile tired are going to give you less payload than 18 inches. Another thing is the load rating of your tires. Most 1/2 tons seem to come with P-metric tires, which run at 30-40 psi. Go up to "LT" (light truck) tires running at 60-80 psi and the load rating of the tire nearly doubles. Of course these tires are going to ride hard unladen. I've always wondered whether these "max payload" packages are any more than stronger 18 inch wheels and LT tires. You'll never see a 3/4 ton delivered from the factory with 20 inch wheels or P metric tires. Like a lot of Airstreamers, I'm at the top of the range for 1/2 ton cargo capacity but am not really excited about going to a 3/4 ton diesel. 3/4 ton gas doesn't make any sense to me. You don't get any more power than a 1/2 ton motor and your pulling at least 1000 pounds more vehicle weight. That equals more fuel burned, more engine noise and less performance. Just FTR you can get an F-150 or a Silverado 1500 crew cab 4wd with about 2000 lbs cargo capacity. Look for the 7650 GVWR on the Ford. RAM 1500 is just hopeless unless you get a single cab and 2wd, or you travel alone-assuming you're wanting to pull something larger than 23 feet. The eco diesel is the worst in that respect, although people seem to overload them with no ill effects.
DC Bruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 09:23 AM   #367
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
I have the standard size tires on my Tundra 255/70x18 but they are on aluminum rims.

I have Michelin and they have a maximum pressure with over 2000lbs per tire which exceeds my GAWR for the rear and front axles.

I'm going to replace my tires in the spring, plenty of tread but I've noticed some cracks in the side walls are developing. I'm guessing these tires are almost 4 years old. The truck is not a daily driver. I'm thinking of getting tire covers because it sits outside.

Kelvin
Old 12-08-2014, 10:26 AM   #368
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
The door stickers are a federal requirement. I didn't see anything about subtracting an additional 380 lbs., but maybe I missed it. It was kind of dark in the garage when I looked. I also have the TRD package, so I don't think that is it.

I replaced the OEM Goodrich tires with Michelin LTX tires. The truck rides much smoother with those and is more like an SUV than a pickup. That's not unusual with current 1/2 ton pickups. I don't think the tires are going to change payload, but I don't really know. My impression is that the usual difference between 1/2 ton and 3/4 ton is in the suspension and not the drive train. But truck companies have so many versions of trucks that there could be other upgrades in certain models. It can be very confusing to sort it all out.

Gene

Old 12-08-2014, 10:38 AM   #369
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
3/4 ton trucks have heavier running gear. Springs, bearings, axles and perhaps brakes.
The 380 pounds looks to me like the weight of the front axle and transfer case. . Being 4WD.
My '08 Tundra 2WD came with Bridgestone 275/R18 P rated tires. Just replaced them with the same tire. Have had absolutely no problems with handling. Even in rain or snow.

Sent from my iPod touch using Airstream Forums
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 04:32 PM   #370
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJRitchie View Post
So does the manufacturer weigh each car as it comes off the assembly line, print off the sticker and attach it to the vehicle door frame?

Kelvin
No. Car manufactures have a designed base weight and as options are added then the total vehicle weight changes. Technically the weights are not exact to the ounce. And these are massed produced vehicles so the designed weight and optional weights should be pretty close to actual. many optional choices add almost no weight like paint options. Then there are things like AC that can add a significant amount.

This can make a difference to towing loads especially when loading at the max capacity. And know there are specific axle loading restrictions as well. In some cases it is possible to be with in design limits of the total vehicle capacity and over capacity with one axle.

>>>>>>>>>>>>Action
Old 12-08-2014, 04:53 PM   #371
3 Rivet Member

2008 20' Safari SE
Charlotte , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by No. 13 View Post

Gene
My dealer-installed running boards got me a -85lbs sticker, which is approx what they weigh. I'd take a look at any port or dealer installed options and any packages (TRD off road, Sports Appearance Pkg?). Or peel the sticker off.
teagues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 05:49 PM   #372
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
The sticker should account for 4WD and TRD and tow packages as that is the way the truck was built. Peeling off the sticker is probably illegal although I doubt any cop would look at it.

Gene

Old 12-08-2014, 06:33 PM   #373
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
In the back of my Tundra Owners Manual there are several pages of the weight and towing capacity of each model. It goes so far as to list the different cab models, box length and trim package.
I can't tell you if the door post stickers are different between my 2WD and a 4WD. One would assume so.
It really doesn't make sense to me that 4WD would have less weight carrying capacity than a 2WD. Because the front axle weight is not carried by the truck. I can see the transfer case weight being included, but not the front axle.

Old 12-08-2014, 07:15 PM   #374
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by TG Twinkie View Post
It really doesn't make sense to me that 4WD would have less weight carrying capacity than a 2WD. Because the front axle weight is not carried by the truck. I can see the transfer case weight being included, but not the front axle.
The 4X4 is additional weight in transfer case that is suspended and the front axle that isn't suspened however it is sort of "towed" and has to be braked and accelerated as the rest of the mass of the tow vehicle. More mass that comes with the TV the less the TV can tow and carry.

>>>>>>>>>>Action
Old 12-09-2014, 11:46 AM   #375
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
A simpler way to say it is that a front propeller (drive) shaft and associated parts are necessary in the front axle for 4WD, that weight plus the transfer case are all subtracted from payload.

The owner's manual does have a lot of information on all sorts of versions of the Tundra as does the booklet I have from 2007. The sticker should be the same, but if they differ, use the lowest weight.

There were 2 different running board options in 2007 I think. Ours were dealer installed and then we added a tonneau. I asked the tonneau dealer how much it weighed and he said "about 100 lbs." I would have guessed that and I suspect he guessed too. I figured the two options weighed about 150 lbs., but it could be more. Neither option was known at the factory, so subtract from the sticker and go on a diet.

Some people upgrade the suspension with air bags or an additional leaf on the rear springs. This may help, but other parts in the suspension or drive line may not be up to it, so you still have the same 1/2 ton truck. I asked an suspension expert about this and he agreed, but he would, for a price, install air bags or an added leaf spring to anyone who wanted it and warn him it might not be enough. Unless you happen to have access to a testing lab to check all the other parts, you'll never know whether some part can't handle the extra load until it breaks. Certainly the manufacturer won't tell you except to say your warranty may be voided and don't do it.

Gene

Old 12-09-2014, 12:03 PM   #376
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
Lets face it, anyone towing and Airstream 25 or larger is over payload on our Tundras. I can't do anything about it short of replacing my Tundra or downsizing my AS.

Question, I see there are two tire options for the 18" wheel Tundra; 255/70x18 and 275/65x18. I have the former and they will need replacing soon. Should I go with the 275/65x18 now. I have aluminum rims on my non TRD SR5. Both sizes are 31" in diameter.

Thanks.

Kelvin
Old 12-09-2014, 05:47 PM   #377
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Not true. I tow a 26' Argosy with my '08 Tundra. The coach weighs 5,500#'s when ready to travel. The truck weighs about the same. The hitch weight is 700#. I still have over 400#'s of capacity after me, my wife and dog are on board.
I did have one occasion when we were traveling to CA in December from Nebraska. I decided to carry a construction style generator and 14 gallons of additional fuel. In case we were caught in a blizzard. That additional weight put me over the GVWR rating of the truck.
Was I concerned? NOT AT ALL. It's a Toyota.

Old 12-10-2014, 08:06 AM   #378
4 Rivet Member

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Bozman , Maryland
I would go with the wider sidewall, assuming there's no change in the rated load capacity of the tire. Probably give you a bit softer ride and protect the rim better from chuckholes.
DC Bruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 08:14 AM   #379
Rivet Master

2008 23' Safari FB SE
Boulder , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene View Post
Bud, I have an '07 Tundra double cab with the 5.7 L. and a 25' Safari FB. I think it's a good combination, but I wouldn't tow a 27' Safari much less a Classic. I see in your post you say it's a Classic, but under your name it's an International CCD.

Look at the payloads for the Tundra—they are different for each trim line. They are adequate for a 25' Safari (now Flying Cloud), but anything heavier, and the Classic is a lot heavier, and I think you will have to have a truck empty of everything but the driver after a severe weight reduction program and no more than 5 gallons of gas (maybe an exaggeration). Payload is the limiting factor for the Tundra. It is a 1/2 ton, not a 3/4. I believe the standard cab model with 2wd—a hard combination to find—has the highest payload.

The Toyota is a very good truck, very reliable, though it uses more gas than I am happy with and changing the oil filter is a horrible experience. Because we wanted the Tundra, we limited our trailer selection because anything heavier than the Safari 25' was too much for the truck in our opinion.

Welcome to the Forum. There are endless threads about weight, various brands of trucks (be prepared for people's personal bias toward specific brands), hitching systems, etc. Some will recommend nothing less than towing with a monster truck and others will say you can do it with a Smart car (another exaggeration, but you'll see it starts to seem that way). It'll take a while to sort out.

Right now there are excellent deals on trucks and most especially on recent model trade ins.

Gene
+1

What's the tongue weight loaded of your 27? Payload includes, gas, passengers, add ons like steps. I love my Tundra but the payload is limiting.
bonginator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 10:20 AM   #380
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Toyota includes the weight of the fuel. So you don't have to include that weight in the cargo carrying capacity. They also include the driver. Not sure how they figure the weight of the driver. I can tell you I exceed the 200#'s. if that's what it is.
So the load carrying capacity of my '08 Double Cab, 2WD TUNDRA is 1,465+ 220#'s fuel+ 200+ for me. Round numbers. That's about 1,900#'s.. Not bad for a 1/2 ton truck.

Tags
toyota tundra, tow vehicles