Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-26-2013, 01:01 PM   #281
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
I just purchased a preowned 2010 Tundra SR5 Double Cab 2wd about 10 days ago. I will be hitching it up to a 2008 Classic 25FB. The Classic wardrobe door sticker show about 6000lbs dry weight.

I currently have a 2009 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe about 3200-3500 lbs. I was towing it with the Tundra this past Sunday and their was a pretty stiff wind out the north and it seemed I had headwinds most of the time. I had the instanteous mileage turned on and most of the time I was seeing 9, 10, 11 mpg on the display. There were a few mild hills.

What is it going to be like with say 6500lbs in tow with a larger profile than the Casita (rounded shape like an AS)? I'd hate to only get 8mpg with only a 26 gallon tank. I'd have to fill up every 180 miles. I only drive 55 to 60 mph. Can I expect to get 10 to 12 mpg?

I drove the Tundra solo on a 900 mile trip and was very satisfied with the mileage 19 to 20mpg driving 70mph (no AC) and that is calculated by dividing the odometer with gas pumped at each fill up.

Thanks

Kelvin
KJRitchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 01:22 PM   #282

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJRitchie View Post
I just purchased a preowned 2010 Tundra SR5 Double Cab 2wd about 10 days ago. I will be hitching it up to a 2008 Classic 25FB. The Classic wardrobe door sticker show about 6000lbs dry weight.

I currently have a 2009 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe about 3200-3500 lbs. I was towing it with the Tundra this past Sunday and their was a pretty stiff wind out the north and it seemed I had headwinds most of the time. I had the instanteous mileage turned on and most of the time I was seeing 9, 10, 11 mpg on the display. There were a few mild hills.

What is it going to be like with say 6500lbs in tow with a larger profile than the Casita (rounded shape like an AS)? I'd hate to only get 8mpg with only a 26 gallon tank. I'd have to fill up every 180 miles. I only drive 55 to 60 mph. Can I expect to get 10 to 12 mpg?

I drove the Tundra solo on a 900 mile trip and was very satisfied with the mileage 19 to 20mpg driving 70mph (no AC) and that is calculated by dividing the odometer with gas pumped at each fill up.

Thanks

Kelvin
You were most likely hurt by the headwinds more than anything else. The weight of the trailer only costs you a lot when you're getting it rolling or if you change speeds a lot.

Don't freak out too much about the instantaneous mpg readings, either... I think I have a tendency to only look at that when I know the truck is actually pulling, so I always see those 6s and 8s and still end up with 11ish in normal conditions, and I drive 65 and am not overly patient about waiting around for 65.

If you can stick to 55-60 I think 12mpg should be attainable even with a widebody. There are lots of Tundra owners on here with widebody trailers, they'll probably offer some real-world numbers (hopefully including their average speeds.)

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 01:25 PM   #283
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
Does everyone use the Tow/Haul button when towing their fat Airstreams?

Kelvin
Old 03-26-2013, 01:45 PM   #284
4 Rivet Member

2009 27' FB International
LA LA Land... , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKB_SATX View Post
There are lots of Tundra owners on here with widebody trailers, they'll probably offer some real-world numbers (hopefully including their average speeds.)
The lowest I've gotten is 12 mpg, the highest 14 mpg. Depends on the terrain, speed (usually around 60 mph) and if I remember to inflate the tires!
Mike91208 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 01:46 PM   #285
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
Our Tundra gets 13.5 mpg towing our 19-foot Bambi at 60 mph. 16.5 mpg at 55 mph or slower (on the flats and in the mountains). We do not use tow/haul mode due to small size of our trailer and the excess power available. However, tow/haul mode is probably appropriate for your Airstream.

With new Tundras and large V8, the tendency is to enjoy the new found power. After the newness wears off and you start using the cruise control more (and stop passing other vehicles), your mileage will improve. Also, the headwind probably didn't help on your last trip.

Also, Mike 91208 makes a good point about tire pressure. When towing, we run 55 psi in the front tires, 65 psi in the rears; and 80 psi on the Bambi. (All tires are load range E).

I would be really surprised if your mpg's are consistently below 10 unless you are constantly pulling mountain grades or cruising above 65 mph.
Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 01:46 PM   #286
4 Rivet Member

Quote:
Does everyone use the Tow/Haul button when towing the fat Airstreams?

Kelvin
I always use it, although mine tows just fine without it.
Old 03-26-2013, 05:12 PM   #287
Rivet Master

1968 30' Sovereign
1959 18' "Footer"
1954 22' Flying Cloud
Brussels , Wisconsin
Tow - Haul

I use mine all of the time when towing. Also I run it in 5th gear, it keeps the trans from shifting too much.
59 Traveler
68 Sovereign
Ed Emerick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 06:44 PM   #288
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
I use Tow/Haul mode and run in 5th as well. Getting over 12mpg traveling through out Wyoming.
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 06:48 PM   #289
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Holly Lake Ranch , Texas
Kelvin

I use tow haul with our 2006 Safari 23 which has 6000 lb dry weight. Towing with 2011 Tundra Double Cab 5.7.

I really haven't spent the time to try to nail down the mileage. i have grade model so it doesn't have instantaneous mileage, so I'd have to do it the old fashioned way.... fill the tank, drive the miles, refill tank and divide.... i will say that I don't tow above 60.... mostly because I think that's plenty fast enough
Goal15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 06:15 AM   #290
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
So most people are getting a safe driving range of about 250 miles?

I noticed on the first tank of gas I let run below the 1/4 mark that around 1/8th position the fuel warning light came on. I filled the tank within a few miles and it only put in barely over 20 gallons. I fill until it auto shuts off then squeeze in to get to the nearest whole dollar. So that means when the light comes on I still have about 5 gallons left and I should be able to safely go another 30-36 miles towing (looking for a gas station) and have over a 2 gallon reserve.
Is that everyone's experience?

When you run it in 5th gear then you move the stick to the S position and then upshift from 4 to 5? Will the transmission still automatically shift down automatically as needed?

Thanks.

Kelvin
Old 03-27-2013, 07:10 AM   #291
3 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
west plains , Missouri
Towing with tundra

We have a 2010 tundra with the large engine and pull a 25' 2008 FBSE very satisfactorily. Much depends on tow speed and terrain insofar as fuel. Life is quieter with gas tow vehicle and the ride is good. The experiences recounted in other threads match ours. Tow/haul is very useful, especially at moderate speed. This is our third Tundra and second Airstream. If the trailer exceeds 25' the towing dynamics change noticeably. Until that point one can forget towing and parking drama.
rjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 07:20 AM   #292
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Greer , South Carolina
I know several guys that own Tundras. Generally they love them and report they are good truck. They all report poor mileage though - 14-16mpg highway, unloaded. Gobs of power is the trade off I suppose.
wncrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 07:49 AM   #293
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
The guys that are getting 14-16mpg must have a lead foot. I get 18-20mpg.
And yes when you run in S5, it will shift down automatically. You are just setting the shift "up" limit.
Old 03-27-2013, 09:28 AM   #294
4 Rivet Member

1999 25' Safari
On , the road
Quote:
I noticed on the first tank of gas I let run below the 1/4 mark that around 1/8th position the fuel warning light came on. I filled the tank within a few miles and it only put in barely over 20 gallons. I fill until it auto shuts off then squeeze in to get to the nearest whole dollar. So that means when the light comes on I still have about 5 gallons left and I should be able to safely go another 30-36 miles towing (looking for a gas station) and have over a 2 gallon reserve.
Is that everyone's experience?
Yup. The gas gauge and light appear to be very pessimistic. Even with it reading dead empty I don't think I have ever put in over 22 gallons. I don't like it as it makes me nervous even though I know I can still go another ~40 miles.
Old 03-27-2013, 10:31 AM   #295
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2013 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2012 20' Flying Cloud
Small Town , *** Big Sky Country ***Western Montana
Given that you have experienced similar cross section exposed to the frontal area of "wind", the biggest factor in fuel consumption is speed; remember that energy expended is proportionate to mass times velocity (speed) squared.
Terminal Aluminitis; 2-people w/ 3+ dogs
mefly2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 10:51 AM   #296
4 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmaah View Post
Yup. The gas gauge and light appear to be very pessimistic. Even with it reading dead empty I don't think I have ever put in over 22 gallons. I don't like it as it makes me nervous even though I know I can still go another ~40 miles.
Interesting thread on the subject here:
Fuel Tank - 26.5 gallons? - TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum

This is what one guy said:

Guys I have owned the Fj cruiser and now the Tundra. They both have the same kind of fuel tank system, just different sizes. Our Tundra tanks are 26.4 gallons. The range that the computer shows you have left are based on Toyota's recommended safety fill up point to keep someone from running out of gas. If you want to know exactly how much gas you have left in your tank, when your light comes on, it is simple. Next time your light comes on, immediately pull into the nearest gas station and fill up your truck. Also remember to take note of actually how many gallons you just put in your tank. Now subtract that # from the 26.4 gallons the tank holds and you will know exactly how many gallons of gas you will have left, when your light comes on. What I do now is just reset my (b) trip meter when ever my light comes on. You will find that you will still have 4-5 gallons of gas left when that light comes on. Now multiply that # my your average mpg. Believe me, I have tested this and the last time I filled up, I stretched it really far and had to put in a little over 25 gallons of gas to fill it back up. So yes, you can easily get 400 miles per gallon. I recommend every body does this with there cars just for the fact of knowing how far they could go if needing to when their light comes on. Please try it you will see.
Old 03-27-2013, 12:27 PM   #297
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by timmaah View Post
This has been my experience and I don't like it one bit (the pessimism). I like a gas gauge and a computer that I can believe. On my BMW 330ci when my computer says that I can go 0 more miles I usually can put 16.2 gallons in a 16.3 gallon tank. Now I rarely cut it this close, but I have on occasion. I don't think I have ever put more than 21 gallons in my 26.4 gallon tank.

In terms of fuel economy I have an 08 Tundra DC 2wd 5.7L; I usually get 13 mpg towing my 4,500lb Tradewind and I tow gently at 60 mph. I have gotten as high as 14.5 mpg going down and up the Blue Ridge Parkway at 45 mph, but I have never been able to duplicate this on any other travels.

I think that you can expect 12 mpg towing a wide body 25'.

I only use Tow/Haul in the mountains, never on level terrain. Hunting between 6th and 5th has never been a problem. If It was then I would use T/H and set it on manual shift in 5th (top gear).

I love my Tundra. Good luck with yours.

Dan
TouringDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 12:35 PM   #298
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
When you run the tank down to where the low fuel light comes on. You are risking premature fuel pump failure.
The fuel pump being located in the tank means that it is cooled by the fuel. When you run the tank low, you remove the cooling effects.
You will never get 26.4 gallons in the tank when you fuel up. The tank never goes completely empty.since the pickup tube is not located on the bottom of the tank.
I will never understand why people run their tanks so low. I doesn't cost any more to keep the top half of the tank full than it does the bottom half.
Living and driving in the high plains area of the U.S. poses some inherent risks. You could be caught in a sudden storm, winter or summer, cold or hot. Flash floods occur with little or no notice. You could be stranded.
I want to know that I have enough fuel to where if necessary, I could spend several hours in the truck with the heat or A/C running. Without having to be concerned about running out of fuel.
So I say "Keep the Fuel TOPPED UP!
I think you will also find the owners manual says not to add more fuel once the pump shuts off automatically. There needs to be space in the tank for the fuel to expand. In some cases, overfilling can cause the "check engine" light to come on.
Old 03-27-2013, 02:05 PM   #299
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
When I planned our two trips to Glacier Natl Park from DFW in 2011 and 2012 with our Casita and it's TV, 2005 4Runner 4.7L V8, I tried to find gas stations every 250 miles. We took two separate routes on the two trips, one via Amarillo, TX then through Denver to Wyoming and in 2012 north from Childress, TX through Oklahoma, Kansas, and Nebraska then in Wyoming. Sometimes I filled up before the 250 miles because there was nothing at that mileage point. We were able to average 14 mpg on those two trips. I got to learn looking at the gas gauge and the odometer if I was getting good or bad mileage. If the fuel gauge came off the full mark at about 37 miles that seemed to be around 13 to 14 mpg. Once it came off at close to 50 miles and on that leg we were able to hit 280 miles without the fuel light coming on. The fuel light seemed to come on when there was between 20 and 21 gallons consumed, giving me a 2-3 gallon reserve.

I guess I'm concerned because the Casita is so much smaller and lighter yet some of you are stating only a couple of MPG less than I experienced with the Casita. I wonder if the aerodynamics are much better with the Airstream. The Casita has round corners and has a lower profile. I'll be more than happy getting 12 mpg on similar trips like our Glacier trips with the Airstream.

Kelvin
Old 03-27-2013, 04:52 PM   #300
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
First, do you have the 5.7 L. engine or a smaller one? That could make a difference. Most on the Forum appear to have the big engine. Where did you buy it? Maybe it needs some work—air filter, plugs?

A headwind surely makes a big difference. We usually get 10.5-11.5 mpg, but once got around 14 with a very strong tailwind in NM. Always try to find a tailwind.

The warning light comes on around 1/8 and the the range gets to zero some time after that (never goes to minus numbers)—maybe just before E, and at E, it will take around 23 gal. I've run it down to about 24.5 gal (less than 2 left). Gas stations are not always around and I look for the cheapest ones too. I worry more about stuff at the bottom of the tank getting into the fuel system if the tank gets too low.

Gas station shut offs have been changed to not fill the tank all the way, but every station is different. I was told some time ago that overfilling would do something to the emissions system—flood something. Since I almost always am driving somewhere after I fill up (no reasonably priced stations within 30 miles of home), expansion is not really a problem. So far my wayward gas habits have not burned out the pump and the emissions system seems to be fine.

I would rather the tank was bigger, but the good thing is more fill ups mean getting out and walking around—that's good because our aging bodies need that. Some trips (from here to Denver is 240 miles and because I've used a few gallons getting home from a gas station, I have to add some gas from a 5 gal. can before leaving home—every place between here and Denver charges either an arm and a leg, or sometimes just one leg for gas). I'd still rather have a bigger tank (and a younger body).

When we travel, I usually carry an extra 5 gal. (sometimes 2 5 gal. cans) for places where gas stations are few or there's an emergency. But keeping the tank 1/2 full or more means stopping every 125 miles, something I'd bet few people do. When the redesigned Tundra comes out in 2014 (I think it is then), maybe they'll match the larger tanks the other trucks have. I hope they do something about the gas mileage as it is a gas hog.

Gene

The Airstream is sold; a 2016 Nash 24M replaced it.
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
toyota tundra, tow vehicles