Old 03-26-2009, 01:27 PM   #113

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Missoula , Montana
I've scanned this entire thread and can't find anyone opining about tires for their Tundra. I have a 2008 Tundra CrewMax (5.7L) and a new-to-me 2006 25' Safari. Should I upgrade the original tires to something beefier for towing?

Old 03-26-2009, 02:28 PM   #114
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
I haven't. I have not been impressed with OEM tires Toyota puts on their trucks. They put better tires on their 4Runners. They seem to have good traction and have performed well enough, but they wear fast. The '07 SR5 Double Cab came with "P" (passenger), not LT tires, but I haven't had any problems. I do add about 4 lbs. to each tire when towing and that brings the front end down to its proper height.

I doubt I will get much more than 25,000 miles from these tires. They are either Goodyear or Goodrich (all the same to me) and somewhat cheaper than Michelins, but per mile Michelin are much cheaper. I think that means this summer I will be spending about one grand (I'm giddy with that thought) on Michelin LT 10 ply M&S tires. Unfortunately the OEM tires on our 4Runner are wearing and new tires on that by Fall (another grand, that thought makes me giddiest)—but they are already past 60,000. They are good quality Michelins.

Gene

Old 03-26-2009, 07:38 PM   #115
SRW
TEXAS66

Georgetown , Texas
OEM Tires

My 2007 Tundra, Crew Max Limited, 5.7L has 33,000 miles on the odometer including about +/-10,000 miles of towing the 2008, 28' International. When towing I keep 36psig in the truck's tires.

Probably will get new tires at 38,000 to 40,000 miles.

SRW
Old 03-26-2009, 07:46 PM   #116
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
SRW, what brand comes with your Limited? They must be better ones than come with the SR5. Are they "P" or "LT"?

Gene
Old 03-26-2009, 09:20 PM   #117
2 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Aptos , California
Gene,

I have 20" wheels on our Tundra. I replaced the original Bridgestones
at about 35K miles with Michelin LTX's. I run 44psi rear, 38psi front all the
time. Doesn't seem to hurt the ride, might improve the mileage. I have
always been happy with the Michelins on my trucks--they do cost more
but last a long time.

Terry
Old 03-26-2009, 09:36 PM   #118
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Ours came with 18" wheels and Goodrich tires. I almost want them to wear out faster to replace them with Michelin. Sounds like SRW also has the 20" wheels with Bridgestones as his are lasting longer. The Limited only cost about $2,000 more and in retrospect we should have bought that instead. The one thing I don't like about the Limiteds—our 4Runner is a Limited—is the climate control is a pain; we like the manual controls—they are easier to use. One glance and I can make an adjustment instead of trying to read the display, especially with sunglasses on.

Gene
Old 03-26-2009, 10:31 PM   #119

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Missoula , Montana
Thanks for the feedback. Today I realized the stock tires on the 2008 Tundra CrewMax SR5 are only four-ply tires and are not rated to carry the load I have (up to 7300 lbs). They sound great on the highway but won't due towing the A/S or bumping down a rocky dirt road to the prime fishing hole. I've used Toyo Open Country A/T 6-ply on several vehicles ('07 Tacoma, '03 Land Cruiser) and they rock. You have to rotate them every 5,000 miles, but they have served me well in all conditions (I live in Missoula, Montana) Today I found out that Toyo makes the Open Country A/T in a 10-ply, so that's what I got. I am confident in the choice and ready to hit the road! Thanks.
Old 03-27-2009, 10:12 AM   #120
SRW
TEXAS66

Georgetown , Texas
OEM Tires on Tundra Crew Max Limited

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post
SRW, what brand comes with your Limited? They must be better ones than come with the SR5. Are they "P" or "LT"?

Gene
Gene:

The OEM tire on the Crew Max:

BF Goodrich: Rugged Trail T/A
P275/65R18 114 T DT M+S
Treadwear: 400
Traction: A
Temp.: B
Max Pressure: 44 psig
Plies: 2 polyester + 2 steel + 1 nylon
& 2 Sidewall plies

Pretty interesting stuff:
1. The P rated tire was used for a softer ride.
2. The DT on the sidewall means "Different Tread" meaning that sometime during the production run of Rugged Tread tires they changed the tread design.
3. The load rating of 114 equates to 2601 lbs per tire for a total of 10,404lbs.
4. The tires were made in the 23 week of 2007, and I bought the truck in the 29 week of the same year.

I incorrectly stated the tire pressure I use when towing: Its 38 psig not 36 psig. I could go to 40, but I have some concern regards to how the harder ride might affect the AS.

SRW
Old 03-27-2009, 10:44 AM   #121
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Looks like they changed brands from time to time. SRW, you have the same tires I have, though I don't know about the DT. We bought the Tundra at the end of September, '07. Of course, they could have come from different plants in different countries. I have tried different pressures and more than around 4 extra pounds while towing starts wearing the center of the tread too much. Tread depth was from 5 to 7/32 the other day at about 19,000 miles—half towing. Since we don't drive like maniacs and have comparable trailers, I can't account for why you are getting better wear out of yours.

Gene
Old 03-27-2009, 03:57 PM   #122
SRW
TEXAS66

Georgetown , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post
Looks like they changed brands from time to time. SRW, you have the same tires I have, though I don't know about the DT. We bought the Tundra at the end of September, '07. Of course, they could have come from different plants in different countries. I have tried different pressures and more than around 4 extra pounds while towing starts wearing the center of the tread too much. Tread depth was from 5 to 7/32 the other day at about 19,000 miles—half towing. Since we don't drive like maniacs and have comparable trailers, I can't account for why you are getting better wear out of yours.

Gene
Gene:

Tread depth estimate (I used a business card to make crude measure of tread depth and measured the mark on the card with a tape) at 3/16" avg. on all four tires. Little less at center vs outside.

Wear is pretty even.

Hard to know exactly, but at least 50% of driving is on Interstate.

Rare that speed exceeds 65 mph.

SRW
Old 04-01-2010, 05:27 PM   #123
2 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
west plains , Missouri
In July and August of 2009 we did 9,798 statute miles with a 19' Bambi using a 2007 5.7 Tundra...in the mountains and rough areas. On return we traded for a 25' fb Safari ls and still use the same tow vehicle....also for my daily driver. It works great! 10.5 to 11.5 mpg (gas) on average. Highly recommend. rjack
Old 04-03-2010, 02:56 AM   #124
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
We have similar experiences with our 2008 CrewMax. The BFG Rugged Trails are wearing fast and, except for the expense, I can't wait to replace them with Michelins. The BFGs will probably last another season, so will be looking for new tires before next summer.

The new LTX M/S2 is rated 720-A-A, but is the regular LT tire. While these look tempting with the 720 mileage rating, we will probably get the same tire in load range E for the safety margin when towing.

By the way, we run the BFGs at 44 psi (the max) all around, and they are wearing evenly. They ride firm, but not like truck tires. We had Michelin LTX M/S LR-E tires on our old 1978 Chevy crewcab longbed, which definitely rode like a truck.

If you live in snow country, the Michelin LTX A/T2 looks like a good alternative, but I think the M/S2 might wear longer and more evenly here in the desert southwest where we are more concerned about heat. We are also considering going up in size a little to the 275/70x18, which is only a little larger; and it may wear a little longer for only a few dollars more.
Old 04-03-2010, 09:29 AM   #125
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
We replaced the Goodrich tires with Michelin with A/T2 LR E and we are very happy with them. They ride better than the OEM tires and are wearing better too. We now have around 20,000 miles on them.

We've fooled around with different tire pressures. We called Michelin two or three times and got different recommendations about that each time. Generally mid-40 psi without towing and 4-5 pounds more towing seem to work about right if I remember correctly.

We also replaced the Goodyears on our Safari with Michelin LTX M+S LR E. These are 16" tires, so we had to replace the wheels also. The OEM wheels' coating was coming off anyway. The trailer seems to feel like it tows better with the Michelins but we could be imagining it. I can't remember whether we settled on 65 or 70 psi on the trailer tires.

Gene
Old 04-04-2010, 12:33 PM   #126
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
I was asked about the wheels in a message. I got them at JC and they come from the distributer they use for wheels in Fort Wayne. I worked out a deal with them because of the problems with the OEM wheels. JC changed distributers during the 2008 model year.

You can get wheels at any tire shop or online. It's important to get the right offset. It's 0˚ on our Safari, but may be different on other trailers. Offset refers to how far inboard or outboard the wheel is from it's mounting—I don't know if that's understandable, but if it's wrong, I imagine it can strain the wheel bearings and seals. All the specs should be located somewhere on the Airstream website, or you can call customer service to get them. If you buy wheels and tires from the same tire store they may cut you a better deal.

The other thing is: will it fit if you go from 15" to 16"? While all wheels of the same size are the same size, tires can vary. On tire websites, at least some of them, you can find the outside diameter of the wheel. This depends on depth of tread and the manufacturer's ways of doing things. Some trailers have less space in the wheel cutout than others and measuring that as many different ways as you can think of is a good idea so you don't end up with a problem.

Last fall, after we bought the new Michelins for the trailer, the LTX M+S was upgraded and is a better tire than the previous model. It appears it'll last for more miles, more than I think we will put on the trailer before they are too old to use. I knew the new version was coming, but didn't see it would make a difference for us and didn't want to wait since we were going to JC and wanted to get the wheel thing fixed.

Tire Rack's website has tire ratings and Michelins usually rate very high, but there are other well regarded brands. We almost always buy Michelins and they have served us well for 40+ years. Getting the tire pressure right when you buy LR E tires where D or C are the ratings for the vehicle can be confusing. We use less than the maximum pressure ratings for the tires, but more than the OEM pressure recommendations. Thus, on the trailer I think we settled on 68 psi. The truck has been harder to figure out. You want the truck to be level when hitched up. The Tundra calls for low 30's with LR C, but with LR E, you could double that according to the tire. We don't. You can also find the weight ratings for all sorts of tires online and have to figure in what seems right for the truck, tire and load. Then guess and hope for the best. Tire threads have recommendations for pressure all over the place and in the end you have to make your own decision.

Gene

Tags
toyota tundra, tow vehicles