Old 01-08-2009, 09:06 AM   #99
Ladylongwinger

2000 27' Safari
McAllister , Montana
[quote=CrawfordGene;653627]Anne, I'd have you do my negotiating for me if I didn't like it so much."

Actually I hate it. But I'd already been worked over enough by recent events so i was girded for battle. Or was it girdled? Anyway, the truck salesmen took the brunt of it. Although they won in the end, as I did buy a truck, and a few extras, and we both felt we got the better deal.

"The difference in price between you and b3 may be the rebate. I can't really remember what I paid—somewhere between 29 and 30 perhaps, but the rebate was only $1,000 then. If they are $4,500 now I would have gotten it for that much less now (this hurts). Now they are much, much larger. I think holdbacks were 500-650 and there was an advertising fee of several hundred. I suggested that I wasn't there because of advertising, but that didn't work. He knew I wasn't financing, buying any warranties and wouldn't drive and extra 30 miles for service (what service anyway?—there's hardly any and I can do it myself). He made some profit on part of the holdback and the trade and he got rid of an '07 at the end of Sept. "

This year appears to be the year to buy vehicles, if you have the cash. Maybe had I waited I could have had both a silver and a green for the price of one. Always nice to have a spare.

"Whether the tailgate drops or not is a function of two things—(#1) the WD hitch. I have Equalizer and it just fits unless (#2 thing) the truck is at an angle to the trailer. What kind of hitch do you have?"

The trailer came with a hitch so I just kept it. It's a Husky 70340 WD hitch with a tongue wt of 801-1200 lbs (not sure why it's 801 and not 800), and a max gross trailer wt. of 12,000lbs. I have one anti-sway bar attached. Since I bought it from a private seller and this was my first foray into trailer camping, I probably focused more on price and condition than compatibility. Anyway, it's held up well and will make someone else a happy camper when I decide to get something larger.

I asked both the nearest Airstream dealer and the Toyota dealer if there was anything I could do to make this system work better, and neither had an answer, other than investing in a Hensley, which is more hitch and money than I need right now. For the upgrade it would be helpful, and I hope I can negotiate a package deal. I sure would appreciate you or others in this thread doing the bargaining for me when that happens. I am only an intermittent haggler.

Thanks so much for your great and detailed replys! I have learned so much from these discussions.

Anne in VA

Old 01-08-2009, 10:54 AM   #100
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Anne, I don't know what the street price of the Equalizer is, but I do know it fits. You can set it up yourself and then you'll know how it works and how to adjust it, something I have yet to learn. I know I need to adjust the space where the washers go. I didn't find the instructions all that clear, but I probably didn't spend enough time with them. A dealer will charge list price to cover setting it up and you won't understand it when you have to adjust it.

I know nothing about the Husky, but it sounds like the ball is too close to the tailgate for the Tundra. The square part that goes into the hitch receiver must be shorter than it should be for the truck. That whole assembly is the "head". The Hensley head is much, much longer and that's why the tailgate would fit. The Hensley is by far the most expensive WD hitch and has a steep learning curve. People that have them say it's the best, especially for longer and heavier trailers.

Gene

Old 01-08-2009, 11:55 AM   #101
2 Rivet Member

1978 Argosy 30
Alvin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post
30 lb. wife, hmmm. Sounds like a younger version of Lolita.
Gene
Well, I subtracted thirty from what I think she might really weigh, and added that to what I said MY weight was. Then I said she was 30 pounds. That way, I figured no matter what her weight is, I'm on safe ground. Ya know what I mean??
Old 01-08-2009, 12:06 PM   #102
2 Rivet Member

1978 Argosy 30
Alvin , Texas
Anne, indeed sounds like you might want a longer post for the ball but may not be able to get one long enough for tailgate anyway. I have a 27 ft, and mine BARELY opens without hitting the power Jack. You definitely want to make sure it is not so short that you can "jacknife" the rear corner of the truck into the trailer on a tight turn!!

What I would like to know is how I could get my wife to be willing to tow while driver like you are!! Ha!

Steve
Old 01-14-2009, 09:08 AM   #103
Ladylongwinger

2000 27' Safari
McAllister , Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post

I know nothing about the Husky, but it sounds like the ball is too close to the tailgate for the Tundra. The square part that goes into the hitch receiver must be shorter than it should be for the truck. That whole assembly is the "head". The Hensley head is much, much longer and that's why the tailgate would fit. The Hensley is by far the most expensive WD hitch and has a steep learning curve. People that have them say it's the best, especially for longer and heavier trailers.

Gene
Hi Gene,

I agree that probably is the problem with my setup. The previous owner had an SUV for her tow vehicle and I know she did not have that problem, although she also had a hatchback:-)

Is there any way to add an extender to this Husky head that is safe?

Thanks again for all this great info.

Anne in VA
Old 01-14-2009, 09:15 AM   #104
Ladylongwinger

2000 27' Safari
McAllister , Montana
[quote=78GussyTX;654637]Anne, indeed sounds like you might want a longer post for the ball but may not be able to get one long enough for tailgate anyway. I have a 27 ft, and mine BARELY opens without hitting the power Jack. You definitely want to make sure it is not so short that you can "jacknife" the rear corner of the truck into the trailer on a tight turn!!"

I have already almost had this problem, but on backing, not going forward. What kind of hitch do you have?

"What I would like to know is how I could get my wife to be willing to tow while driver like you are!! Ha!"

Well, you could offer to do all the dishes and trailer cleaning. For starters anyway:-)

I also am thankful my father had me tow a boat and trailer with him right after I got my license a few centuries ago. There were some hairy moments, and I'm pretty sure my guardian angel earned more stripes on those trips, but it gave me the confidence to try. Other than a few U-Hauls and horse trailer trips, this was my first big girl towing situation. Thank goodness for solid equipment.

Anne in VA
Old 01-14-2009, 09:21 AM   #105
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladylongwing View Post

Is there any way to add an extender to this Husky head that is safe?
Anne, I don't know. Check Husky's website or call them.

On backing, it is a concern about whether the corner of the truck will hit the propane cover. But if you have the truck at such an angle, you may start putting a lot of pressure on the trailer tires to skip sideways and that's bad too.

Gene
Old 02-11-2009, 03:22 PM   #106
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Vancouver , British Columbia
Anne, in one of your posts you mentioned a sticky situation your tundra got you out of that a tacoma wouldn't. Hubby & I are looking at a 16' AS and were thinking of a tacoma crew cab for the TV. Thoughts anyone?
Old 02-12-2009, 07:38 AM   #107
Ladylongwinger

2000 27' Safari
McAllister , Montana
Gene said:
<<On backing, it is a concern about whether the corner of the truck will hit the propane cover. But if you have the truck at such an angle, you may start putting a lot of pressure on the trailer tires to skip sideways and that's bad too.>>

Hi Gene,

The trailer tires have made a few odd scrunching sounds as I recall. I should probably replace them before any trips this spring anyway. I think they are original to the trailer. Thanks for the reminder!

Anne in Va
Old 02-12-2009, 07:52 AM   #108
Ladylongwinger

2000 27' Safari
McAllister , Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by mk-kids View Post
Anne, in one of your posts you mentioned a sticky situation your tundra got you out of that a tacoma wouldn't. Hubby & I are looking at a 16' AS and were thinking of a tacoma crew cab for the TV. Thoughts anyone?
Hi MK,
I've had several instances where the brute strength of the Tundra helped get me out of trouble, as I'm prone to forgetting that the Airstream is not an off-road vehicle. However, the time I was trying to pull the Airstream out of winter storage after several days of rain, and one side of the trailer slipped into what seemed to be a bottomless mud bank was probably what I was thinking about. It was a slight angle on a tight curve and the right wheel didn't make the turn as planned and just sank. I had very little forward room to use because of the length of the truck and the sharp turn (woods on either side right up to the "road.")

Along with some boards and some back and forth I was able to slowly pull it to solid ground. I consider that pilot error and am glad the Tundra had the muscle to pull it out without getting stuck as well. In that case payload wasn't an issue, but I was working alone and did not know whom to call for help other than AAA, and they would have probably not been able to get their trucks up here in the first place. The one thing a Tundra can do for beginners is to make them somewhat over-confident, which is a lesson I hope I've learned.

Anne in Va
Old 02-12-2009, 09:10 AM   #109
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladylongwing View Post
The trailer tires have made a few odd scrunching sounds as I recall.
Anne, that's just what is sounds like. Don't ask me how I know. It might have something to do with trying to turn the trailer at too extreme an angle. Reverse gear plus 401# of torque can put enormous force on the tire sidewalls.

As to the brute strength of the Tundra, I agree. I have not (yet) gotten myself into the spot you described with our Safari, although it's probably only a matter of time. But I did pull a friend's Tacoma out of two feet of hard packed snow. It took about 150' of pulling through that stuff for him to steer back onto my driveway. I was impressed as I thought we'd have to dig him out he was so entrenched. The best part of it is that I've been able to remind him of my truck's superiority for a whole year! We do identify with our trucks.

Gene
Old 02-12-2009, 10:35 AM   #110
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Greenville , South Carolina
Just in case it's not general knowledge. Tundra will be be offering diesel power in the near future, next one to two years.
Old 02-12-2009, 11:18 AM   #111
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
I think diesel will eventually happen. A year ago we heard it was going to be in 2009. Diesel is a short term solution. I would rather see improved gas mileage through lighter construction, improved engine technology and hybrid option at a reasonable price.

Gene
Old 02-12-2009, 11:41 AM   #112
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Greenville , South Carolina
Could be a heavily debated subject on new thread.

I would think that lighter the tow vehicle, the lighter the towable load. Diesels are generally regarded as far superior for towing and engine longevity.

Tags
toyota tundra, tow vehicles