Old 12-14-2008, 08:08 AM   #71
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Cary , North Carolina
BP, from the pdf chart that Flycaster posted, your dry (or unburdened, or UBW) is about 6400lb with a tongue weight of 750lbs.

You could test out your theory by omitting the WD (or crank the preload off) and take it for a spin. You'd shift about another 500lbs back on to the rear suspension. That might help the ride out - might not.

Raleigh, NC
Wayward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 08:50 AM   #72
Ladylongwinger

2000 27' Safari
McAllister , Montana
Upgrade plans for trailer with Tundra as TV

I have an '07 Tundra 4x4 Crew Cab with the Tow and off-road package. So far it has held up nicely for my first Airstream voyage, about 9k miles a year ago from VA to MT and south through NM, TX and LA and back up to VA.

I am planning on upgrading the '04 19' Bambi at some point and will most likely keep the truck, as it's paid for:-) My eyes glazed over trying to figure out suitable weights when reading these posts so perhaps someone could guide me on what the maximum length and style of Airstream (new, since I am not much of a fixer-upper) I can pull. I do travel with a lot of stuff, including photography, fishing, hunting and pet accessories. I am afraid to weigh them, and no idea where I could do that near where I live.

Be kind, I'm still a newbie. Thanks in advance!

Anne in VA

Old 12-14-2008, 09:21 AM   #73
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
lafayette , Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayward View Post
BP, from the pdf chart that Flycaster posted, your dry (or unburdened, or UBW) is about 6400lb with a tongue weight of 750lbs.

You could test out your theory by omitting the WD (or crank the preload off) and take it for a spin. You'd shift about another 500lbs back on to the rear suspension. That might help the ride out - might not.
When towing I like to put a bit more weight on the rear than the front of my tow vehicles with the leveling hitches. They ride better and track better as the change in angle gives a bit more caster in the steering (at least that is my feeling of why it feels better).

Too much weight in front will make the package much less stable on the road. The biggest benefit of the leveling hitches in my mind is when you hit dips....at that time instead of hobby horsing the tow vehicle the entire package squishes down and is much more comfortable than hobby horsing.

So having it exactly equal in my mind front to rear axle of the TV is not desirable. The TV especially if a pickup is inherently nose heavy to start with....making it more equal is very desirable for ride and handling. Those rear springs are made to be loaded.

Now with a Suburban its a bit different, they are well balanced front to rear to start with but I still prefer to load the rear a bit more than the front. The added caster created by lowering the rear is a very stabilizing and benefitial thing.

Loading the rear too much will decrease braking performance by making the front tires want to slide, though so care is needed to create the best balance.
Old 12-14-2008, 10:32 AM   #74
Ladylongwinger

2000 27' Safari
McAllister , Montana
Chart of Airstream weights

For some reason I couldn't open this when I posted earlier. Thanks so much! I am guessing a 25' is about my max, or maybe a 28'. I sure would love to have a shortened version of the new Pan American with the garage in back. I'd shorten the garage considerably, as I would prefer to put an animal back there but I'd have to make sure it was getting the same air as up front. It would certainly enable me to seriously consider full-timing.

Anne in VA
Old 12-14-2008, 12:05 PM   #75
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladylongwing View Post
I have an '07 Tundra 4x4 Crew Cab with the Tow and off-road package. So far it has held up nicely for my first Airstream voyage, about 9k miles a year ago from VA to MT and south through NM, TX and LA and back up to VA.

I am planning on upgrading the '04 19' Bambi at some point and will most likely keep the truck, as it's paid for:-) My eyes glazed over trying to figure out suitable weights when reading these posts so perhaps someone could guide me on what the maximum length and style of Airstream (new, since I am not much of a fixer-upper) I can pull. I do travel with a lot of stuff, including photography, fishing, hunting and pet accessories. I am afraid to weigh them, and no idea where I could do that near where I live.

Be kind, I'm still a newbie. Thanks in advance!

Anne in VA
Anne, scales can be found at truck stops and in many towns. Check the yellow pages for "scales". Have a full gas tank and sit in the vehicle to get a realistic starter weight. Then take out the bathroom scale and weigh all the things you'll take with you in the Tundra. Go to the Toyota website or your owner's manual (or both, some info is hard to find) for gross weight for the Tundra (GVWR), gross combined weight for truck and trailer (GCVWR) and payload. Payload is critical with any 1/2 ton truck. The truck GVWR minus empty weight is payload. The number you get at the scale should be about the same, except for accessories—thus if you have running boards and they aren't standard equipment, they should weigh around 75 lbs. or more. A camper top or hard tonneau could be 75 to 125 lbs. That will be subtracted from payload and increase the weight you get at the scale.

Check the tongue weight. You can check the Airstream website for new trailers and the pdf Richard posted for older trailers. The tongue wt. is not true. Accessories have to considered depending how much weight they shift to the tongue. The spare tire is just behind the tongue on a lot of trailers and the wt. of the propane has to be considered. For a 25' Safari, propane is 60 lbs. Guess the rest unless you want to calculate tongue wt. as the Airstream owner's manual explains. A general rule is 2/3 of tongue wt. goes to the truck axles (counts against payload) and 1/3 goes to the trailer axle(s). If you want more accurate numbers, there's a thread with lengthy equations to calculate the weight distribution. They are beyond my comprehension.

It all sounds crazy doesn't it. Don't worry, you're not alone. The more you read and think it through, the better it gets. I spend a few months in '07 trying to figure it all out and I hope I got it right, but there's always doubt you have to live with.

The simple answer is a contemporary Safari or FC at 25' is in my opinion ok with your truck, but don't carry a pallet of bricks around in the truck. Watch weights in truck and trailer. Balance on each side. Keep the heavy stuff down low in the trailer. Plenty of people tow longer and heavier trailers around with a Tundra, but I wouldn't. My guess is that you can feel good towing a heavier trailer, but eventually you will pay for repairs to truck suspension, etc. (or sell it and someone else will). If you want the toy hauler, I know nothing except that with a lot of weight in the rear (ATV's, trail bikes), you have a unique problem because that would seem to lighten the tongue a lot, but you want to put an animal there. I wouldn't do that for several reasons—a fear that exhaust from the truck would get into the trailer, if there's a failure in the propane system, that would not be good for any living thing, and it can be pretty bouncy at the back of the trailer. Anyway, it seems you want them to make a shorter one, so that's not a problem.

You will find considerable disagreement on this matter. Some people know what they're talking about, some think they do. All are sincerely trying to help. You'll have to weigh the posts and sort out the facts from the factoids.

You went from Montana to NM and didn't tour Colorado? You must have saved the best for another trip.

Gene
Old 12-14-2008, 12:48 PM   #76
2 Rivet Member

1994 30' Excella
2012 25' FB International
Anchorage , Alaska
Hey guys (gals?) as usual, thanks for the fantastic infor and feedback. TW, yes, I've already tried to alter my load using more and less tongue weight. But just as you described, hitting swells in the road is my major concern. After having seen what the actual weights are, i'm going to persue this new truck situation a little more seriously. Too bad none of the manufacturers make an "in -between" diesel with an Allison tranny (prove to me there's anything better) but without the hard-core 7/8 chassis.
Also, one other question for those of you that do have the Tundra, are they as trouble-free as most other Japanese products?
Old 12-14-2008, 12:55 PM   #77
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
bp,

With about 16,000 miles on my '07 Tundra, all I've needed is to have a button replaced. It was the "info" button that told gas mileage, temp., etc. This a lot more than we had on our '99 Tacoma and '00 4Runner which had nothing ever go wrong.

Gene
Old 12-14-2008, 05:13 PM   #78
2 Rivet Member

1978 Argosy 30
Alvin , Texas
Ya know, I'm a guy who thought I was pretty tech savvy ... but some of the posts in this string are beginning to make me wonder!! You guys know your stuff!!

I just tookl the overkill route -- I have a 5600 lb 1978 Argosy, and I hooked it up to a 2008 Toyota Tundra 5.7 SR 5 Crew Cab (389 HP), rated at 10,800 plus payload. Works great, I mean it is truly no problem at all.

Frankly I thought that was pretty darn powerfull, I mean way in the top of available possibilities. Now I am curious, what is out there that is more powerful? I know some of the diesels have more torque, but short of an 18 wheeler cab ... what is out there that is really more powerful then that?

Regards,

Steve
Old 12-15-2008, 04:57 AM   #79
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
lafayette , Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpcaudill View Post
Hey guys (gals?) as usual, thanks for the fantastic infor and feedback. TW, yes, I've already tried to alter my load using more and less tongue weight. But just as you described, hitting swells in the road is my major concern. After having seen what the actual weights are, i'm going to persue this new truck situation a little more seriously. Too bad none of the manufacturers make an "in -between" diesel with an Allison tranny (prove to me there's anything better) but without the hard-core 7/8 chassis.
Also, one other question for those of you that do have the Tundra, are they as trouble-free as most other Japanese products?
My 03 Dodge 2500 with cummins and six manual rides really nice now with the Bilsteins and 90K on the clock. As soon as I get my Caprice set up to tow my much smaller trailer I will be wanting to sell it too. Its a quad cab short bed and will u turn in the same width as my previous Suburban. I am currently downsizing and reducing debt.
Old 12-15-2008, 10:24 AM   #80
2 Rivet Member

1968 26' Overlander
Dillon , Montana
I've followed this thread with interest because I've never pulled an Airstream with my 08 Tundra 5.7 Double Cab. I have, however, pulled a loaded car trailer a lot. Trailer is 21' tongue to bumper. Load is a '79 Corvette. I'm guessing the total load is around 5,000 lbs. This is absolutely no problem. I don't have an equalizer hitch and for the first 300 miles I used it, I had no trailer brakes. No problem.

Back in the old days when I was pulling a Bambi II with a Pontiac Grand Safari wagon, the Pontiac was in a lot of advertising pulling everything in the Airstream product line. Balance the trailer and go. Believe me, comparing the Pontiac to the Tundra would be a joke. The Tundra is a tow vehicle. In the early 70s we thought the Pontiac was great. The Tundra is a quantum leap beyond that, and oftentimes it is pulling the same trailer down the road. Hmmm.
Old 12-16-2008, 08:16 AM   #81
Ladylongwinger

2000 27' Safari
McAllister , Montana
Thanks, Gene!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post

You went from Montana to NM and didn't tour Colorado? You must have saved the best for another trip.

Gene
What a wonderful and patient explanation! Especially since I just now went back to the beginning and realize you have basically said the same thing before. Thank you for not embarassing me by ordering me to do my homework first! I often have a slow and iffy internet connection and get impatient waiting for pages to load.

At any rate, I think there are commercial scales on Interstate 81 north of Winchester, VA which is about an hour from here, so that will be on my "to do" list. I pretty much stuffed the vehicles and took off on my maiden voyage last year, and am thankful I had enough beef in the truck to take me some places in SE Montana I'm pretty sure no Airstream has been before. (Go slow and pray a lot).

I already have added two extra CO digital readout monitors inside the Bambi (very paranoid) and turn the propane off whenever I can. It's the extra cleanable ventilated and temp controlled room that appeals to me. However, I'm not anxious to pull 34' in order to do that. The weight back there would be minimal. I'll have to do a lot more research before I know whether it's safe, but for traveling probably not. For "staying a while" is what attracted my interest.

I used to live in Colorado (east and west slope) and did visit friends near La Junta on my last trip. I was trying to outrun blizzards so I just kept moving south. It's still my favorite state, but it had a lot less people when I lived there.

Thanks again!

Anne in VA
Old 12-16-2008, 09:23 AM   #82
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladylongwing View Post
Especially since I just now went back to the beginning and realize you have basically said the same thing before.

Anne in VA
As a retired lawyer, I have to say everything 3 times. And, it's best to repeat things because of my nature. Professionally required is redundancy.

Gene
Old 01-03-2009, 01:11 PM   #83
2 Rivet Member

2008 27' International CCD FB
Minnetonka , Minnesota
trying to decide between tundra and F150

This thread has been great as i find myself shopping for a new tow vehicle. We are considering moving from a 19ft bambi to a 25 or 27FB, as such needing to upgrade the tow vehicle. Ive never owned a pick up and didnt really relish the thought. But yesterday we drove the Tundra crew cab. Wow was great. Then went down the road and drove an F150 Lariat pkg. Really nice too. Im leaning toward the Tundra. I watched the videos last night on fords site that shows the comparison tests. What i take out of that is that they built comparisons where the box frame and such would show best. I really do not ever plan to drive at speed down a dried out creek bed. I just want a really nice driving experience. Capable towing. and yep luxury cab. Love the bells and whistles: reverse camera, parking sonar, navi, leather. Will probably come down to some emotional deciding factor, looks, feel. The dealership experience at toyota was far superior however they want to play the game with the price. The ford place felt like a county fair and not in a good way. But they had the heres out lowest price approach which looked darn nice. I was planning on checking out the Titan today but news that Nissan Trucks may be phased out or shifted elsewhere bothers me a bit. My friend had bad experience with dodge and im not loving the look anyway so taking a pass there. Chevy and GMC etc just have no appeal to me. Anyone else shopped between F150 and Tundra and made a choice recently? It really appears that they are both nice and capable. I welcome any more pros and cons, thanks.
Old 01-03-2009, 01:34 PM   #84
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Randjg1, check out Edmunds on the internet for wholesale prices for the trucks and all the accessories. It can be confusing to sort out all the info, but take the time. Things like "holdbacks" are dealer profit and they hate to give that up, but I got a guy to split it with me. Bring print outs and a calculator with you because you'll end up buying accessories you didn't want, but the deal may be worth it. Toyota loads a lot of stuff on their vehicles and its hard to find a truck without more things than you thought you wanted. They like to argue and will respect you if you stand up to them. When a salesman asks you "how much profit do you want me to make?", just say "that's not my problem, it's yours" and offer an even lower price. Demand the dealer invoice. The ones from Toyota have holdbacks, advertising fees and the like on those invoices and you can see a lot of info that is not easy to get. Don't let them try to negotiate a trade in and new truck together—too many ways to get confused. Just tell them you'll probably sell your vehicle yourself and we'll talk about a trade later. You can get used car prices on the internet too. It's a pain to sell your own vehicle but you can make a $1,000 more or even more that way. When I bought my Tundra, the guy wanted my older Tundra so badly he gave me a premium on it, so I figure I lost about $400 and didn't have to sell it myself, a fair trade off.

You can get information about reliability from Consumer Reports as well as wholesale prices. Edmunds is free; Consumers charges something like $10 or $15 for a report online. You can go to the library to look at the magazine for reliability ratings. My Tundra has 18,000 miles and only one problem—a switch that wouldn't work.

You seem to prefer the Tundra (I am biased here) and you will have to live with it for some years, so consider that.

I tow a 25' with a Tundra without any problems. Some people tow a 27' with one, but we thought that towing a 27' was a little much for a Tundra. The trailer will be with you for a lot longer than a truck, so pick the trailer first. If you go with the 27', consider a 3/4 ton truck. Toyota doesn't make a 3/4 ton, so your choices will be smaller.

So far as Nissan goes, the situation there seems quite difficult to know. There was a report the Titan was being discontinued and Nissan would rebadge Dodges as Nissans. But is Dodge going to survive?

Gene

Tags
toyota tundra, tow vehicles