Reedsport , Oregon
Bilstein Gas Shocks maybe. I don't remember for sure

WBCCI 6333
OhScottyOh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 06:29 PM   #58
2 Rivet Member

2009 27' FB Flying Cloud
Reedsport , Oregon
Gene, I had the Timbren SES system installed today and will let you know how it effects the ride and handling, if any. Don't really know if needed, but what the hey, for a couple of hundred bucks.

WBCCI 6333
OhScottyOh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 07:46 AM   #59
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
lafayette , Indiana
I have Bilsteins on my 03 Dodge 3/4 quad cab short bed deisel, the ride and control are excellent. The basic suspension on the front of the truck is defecient in travel though so when a large dip is hit it can bottom out on the rubber stop, but under most conditions it rides very very nicely....much better than it did from the factory and the first three years I owned it when no aftermarket shocks were yet available for it.

From the factory if you hit a certain type of small bump the front wheels would begin hopping uncontrollably and the front end would wash toward the outside of the turn....very disconcerting when you are towing a thirty five foot excella on the interstate.

But it always stopped after a few seconds and after I cleaned out my shorts I was fine too!

My first solution was Rancho nine way adjustable which worked really well but after thirty thou miles were shot. The bilsteins if they perform as well as they do on my old mercedes will last for one hundred thou miles or decades whichever comes first.
Old 12-13-2008, 08:18 AM   #60
4 Rivet Member

2003 30' Classic
Stratford , Prince Edward Island
Send a message via Yahoo to macofpei Send a message via Skype™ to macofpei
Quote:
Originally Posted by b3Talent View Post
I keep reading all of the skeptisism about the Tundra as a TV. Let me say that I have a new 08, 5.7 Crewmax and it tows my 34' Classic just fine, HOWEVER my next truck will be 3/4 or better.
If the Tundra is working that great, Why would you change up next time to a 3/4 ton? I am trying to decide what I will get as a TV for my 32' excella, The book says it weights 8400. If the Tundra is rated @ 10400 then that leaves only 200 lbs for everything else.( I may have just answered my own question)
Mac
WBCCI #4782
"Southern Belle"
'03 Classic 30'
'10 Toyota CrewMax
macofpei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 08:32 AM   #61
Site Team

1975 25' Tradewind
Dewey , Arizona
You are looking at the towing capacity which will leave you 2,000 pounds below the maxi mun. The other number to look at is the payload capacity of the truck which should be around 1600 pounds. That would include the hitch weight of the trailer plus what ever you put in the truck. Toyota calculates that number with a full tank of fuel and a 150 pound deriver.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 10:18 AM   #62
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
The Tundra comes with gas shocks all around. I think they're Bilsteins, but haven't looked at the brand lately. No bi'ils though.

Scotty, we'll be interested how that Timbren system works for your Tundra. The way the markets are, $200 seems like a lot more money than it did a year ago.

Richard, thanks for remembering how Toyota calculates payload. I vaguely remembered fuel was taken into account, but what about coolant? And the driver too. How fat can the driver be? A trim Japanese or a corpulent American?

Mac, what's the tongue wt. of your Excella? I expect from the weight of the trailer (loaded-Gross weight, unloaded?), your tongue wt. is getting pretty high for the Tundra payload.

Gene
Old 12-13-2008, 12:43 PM   #63
SRW
TEXAS66

Georgetown , Texas
Tundra Tow Great, but Not a Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by evsjr View Post
I was recently rear-ended by an 18-wheeler (trailer not in tow) which ended the towing career of my Cadillac ESV Escalade. I tow a 2007 27 FB Classic. I am fully aware that I towed at the edge with the Escalade, but carefully controlled loading and never had any problems. However, I am considering replacing the Escalade with the Tundra with 5.7 liter engine and 6-speed transmission. The listed tow rating of this truck is 10,100 lbs. My 27-footer typically weighs in at about 6,600 lbs (NOT counting 800 lbs on the tongue), but is rated up to 9,000 lbs.... can't imagine loading to that limit.

All of my weights are within the advertised capacity of the Tundra with 15 to 20 percent margin.

The truck will become my daily driver and I prefer not going to a 2500 HD Dodge/Chevy/Ford. Have cosidered a 2500 Suburban or GMC, but Toyota looks more user friendly for me.

Any knowledge, experience, or advice out there?

Thanks, Bud (evsjr)
I have been towing my 28 ft International for the last 16 months with my 2X4, 2007 Tundra 5.7L Crew Max Limited.

Been to Bozeman, Louisiana, and all over Texas.

The Tundra has performed outstanding.

The Tundra is the "Off-Road" edition. About the only thing that means is that I got Bilsteins shocks - which were not standard in 2007, and I don't think they are in 2008 or 9.

I have added a TRD cold air intake.

Towing MPG was 9.9 with a strong head wind and 15 on a flat road with zero wind. Mostly its about 11.5.

Not towing the MPG is 18 to 20 depending on the mix of city to highway driving.

It is obviously not a diesel, but the only differences I notice:

• Tundra's 6 speed auto shifts down going up grades, whereas diesels usually don't
  • Tundra's MPG is less then diesels when towing, but better then newer diesels when not towing
  • myregular gasoline costs about $1.00 less then diesel
All in all the Tundra is terrific for towing and non towing.

SRW
Old 12-13-2008, 02:01 PM   #64
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Here's how Toyota describes the shock absorbers and suspension: "Front independent coil-spring double-wishbone with stabilizer bar and low-pressure nitrogen gas shocks; rear live axle with trapezoidal multi-leaf rear suspension and staggered low-pressure nitrogen gas shocks". The off road (TRD) package does have Bilstein shocks. I guess if you get the non-TRD truck, you get a Pringles container with an old watch spring and nitrogen in it.

As for downshifting on hills, the 6 speed transmission has the following ratios: "5.7-liter with 6-speed ECT
1st 3.333
2nd 1.960
3rd 1.353
4th 1.000
5th 0.728
6th 0.558
Reverse 3.061"

With 5th and 6th both being overdrive, it does downshift going up hill. With such a big engine, double overdrive is necessary to get any kind of fair gas mileage. In Tow/Haul, I don't know if it ever gets to 6th and maybe not 5th very often on level ground, but I haven't watched the rpms closely enough to know how many gears it goes through.

For those confounded by strange abbreviations, "TRD" means "Toyota Racing Development".

Gene
Old 12-13-2008, 06:09 PM   #65
2 Rivet Member

1994 30' Excella
2012 25' FB International
Anchorage , Alaska
Can't help but jump in with this conservation. Am seriously looking at the 08' Tundra due to the great Toyota history along with some fantastic year end incentives. My wife and I have a 94' 30 ft. Excella 1000 with the front kitchen floorplan (yes, I know it's a heavy trailer with the bias towards the toungue).
So far, my tow vehicle has been an 03' Duramax with a Bully Dog enhancement program. Am also using 2 sway systems along with the load distibuting hitch.
My question, is how much does the load distributing system pull away from actual toungue weight. So far, all we get is beat to death from the way too stiff 7/8 ton ride quality. Am thinking that the Tundra may be more in-line with what I need as a tow and general "all-around" vehicle.
So far, it looks like most members who tow with the Tundra are happy with the results. Any comments, added info? Would appreciate the knowledge some of you have.
PS, here in Alaska, we're "still" paying almost $3.50 a gallon for diesel... AGH!!
Old 12-13-2008, 06:36 PM   #66
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Huntington Beach , California
I think I know

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpcaudill View Post
My question, is how much does the load distributing system pull away from actual toungue weight. "still" paying almost $3.50 a gallon for diesel... AGH!!
A properly set up weight distributing hitch puts 1/3 of the weight on the trailers axles, 1/3 on the hitch and 1/3 on the TV's axles, at least that is what I believe. Please someone correct me if I am wrong.
Old 12-13-2008, 07:46 PM   #67
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Cary , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by TIMEMACHINE View Post
A properly set up weight distributing hitch puts 1/3 of the weight on the trailers axles, 1/3 on the hitch and 1/3 on the TV's axles, at least that is what I believe. Please someone correct me if I am wrong.
My Airstream manual says that 1/3 of tongue weight ends up on front T.V. axle, 1/3 on rear T.V. axle and 1/3 on to trailer axle(s).

According to that, only 2/3rd's of the Airstream's tongue weight needs to be counted toward the tow vehicle's payload capacity.

(btw bpcaudill, I'm one of those who went from a 3/4 ton Diesel to 1/2 ton gas and hardly regret it. Eventully I'll upgrade to a bit more motor though)
Raleigh, NC
Wayward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 08:08 PM   #68
2 Rivet Member

1994 30' Excella
2012 25' FB International
Anchorage , Alaska
Waywar, thanks. This is exactly where I was steering my original posting. For me, I think this has been 2/3 of my problem. My 7/8 ton Duramax doesn't have near enough tongue weight to help the overly stiff suspension work well. By using a weight-distributing system, not enough weight is being put where my tow vehicle needs it. Am I all washed up? Also, does anyone out there (in the Real World) actually know what the weight for our trailer is without being loaded??? Thanks in advance.
Old 12-13-2008, 08:22 PM   #69
Site Team

1975 25' Tradewind
Dewey , Arizona
Here is a chart that shows dry weights.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf weights.pdf (100.7 KB, 126 views)

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 10:52 PM   #70

1970 31' Sovereign
Varnville , South Carolina
towing with Tundra

I have a 2004 Tundra and it pulls a 31" Sovereign like a dream. I do have the TRD package, am rated for 7,000 lbs tow. Used to pull a 24' Coachman and was happy with it - my Airstream is 6" longer and several hundred lbs heavier but I get better gas milage and a lot less sway. Really, an amazing difference.
I am a little prejudiced - between my wife and me we are on our 5th Toyota and have NEVER had to reenter a shop! Don't believe you will be dissappointed.

Tags
toyota tundra, tow vehicles