Old 06-30-2015, 11:12 AM   #631
gpt
4 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
sequim , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by m.hony View Post
There are a lot of Tundras pulling Airstreams and other brands.
Maybe people who formerly drove GM or Ram bought Tundras?

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
gee, i went the other way. having had two Tundra's and not feeling comfortable, more a glorified SUV as opposed to a truck, with all of my towing duties, 10k boat and trailer, i decided going 'minimal' on a tow vehicle was not a good idea. i prefer to have some head room on capacity with my tow vehicle knowing i am not pushing the manufacturers stated limits.

now back to Ford and in this case my first 1 ton. great truck with plenty of head room on capacity and a wonderful rig on the highway. no, it does not shake your guts out and these are probably the most comfortable captains seats i have ever experienced. good mileage on top of all of that makes me a happy camper with a rig that can perform all the duties i have at the moment. don't think i would go back to a 1/2 ton of any brand in the future now having experienced what this is like. BTW, this is either PU 9 or 10, lost count, so i have decades of experience towing in all sorts of weather with trucks of various configurations.

Old 06-30-2015, 11:54 AM   #632
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
So far as I can tell, the automatic downshift is so smooth I can't feel it. I asked a dealer to check that years ago and they said it worked. I never noticed any difference in rpm's either, but didn't pay much attention to that, so I may have missed it. I downshift manually anyway and whether automatic downshift works or not is of no consequence. The need to tap the brakes before it works is not something I remember reading in the Owner's Manual (I am old enough to not feel unmanned by reading instructions).

Gnort, interesting information about glazing the rotors. While I understand how it could happen, how does glazing affect the feel of pulsating? Do the pads grab the unglazed surfaces only? I only notice it when towing, but that could be because I have to press on the brakes more with 3 1/2 tons added.

I have a P2 and I set it at 6 when I got it and never changed it. I know the trailer brakes engage because as I leave my house or any campground, I check them manually. I think the biggest problem with them are they aren't very good brakes—they are relatively cheap and that's why they are used. You don't see electric drum brakes on cars or trucks and haven't seen even hydraulic drum brakes on them for generations. As for feeling pushed, I feel that when I am rolling and slowing down without braking—seems pretty natural when you have all that weight behind you. When you double the weight of your rig, momentum is going to carry you farther and you will feel pushed.

Gene

Old 06-30-2015, 01:40 PM   #633
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpt View Post
gee, i went the other way. having had two Tundra's and not feeling comfortable, more a glorified SUV as opposed to a truck, with all of my towing duties, 10k boat and trailer, i decided going 'minimal' on a tow vehicle was not a good idea. i prefer to have some head room on capacity with my tow vehicle knowing i am not pushing the manufacturers stated limits.

now back to Ford and in this case my first 1 ton. great truck with plenty of head room on capacity and a wonderful rig on the highway. no, it does not shake your guts out and these are probably the most comfortable captains seats i have ever experienced. good mileage on top of all of that makes me a happy camper with a rig that can perform all the duties i have at the moment. don't think i would go back to a 1/2 ton of any brand in the future now having experienced what this is like. BTW, this is either PU 9 or 10, lost count, so i have decades of experience towing in all sorts of weather with trucks of various configurations.

After 2 bad experiences with Ford cars and countless bad experiences with Fords in the company fleet, I will never buy a Ford. In fact, I will never drive anything but Toyotas.
In the fleet, the Fords are toast at 350,000 miles. The GM trucks keep on going after 500,000 miles with less money spent in maintenance and upkeep.
Toyotas are the best vehicles I've ever owned.
The Tundra pulls (and stops) my Classic 30 effortlessly, but I drive slow always leaving 6-7 seconds following distance and never exceed the posted speed limit or 65 mph.

1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 01:42 PM   #634
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene View Post
So far as I can tell, the automatic downshift is so smooth I can't feel it. I asked a dealer to check that years ago and they said it worked. I never noticed any difference in rpm's either, but didn't pay much attention to that, so I may have missed it. I downshift manually anyway and whether automatic downshift works or not is of no consequence. The need to tap the brakes before it works is not something I remember reading in the Owner's Manual (I am old enough to not feel unmanned by reading instructions).

Gnort, interesting information about glazing the rotors. While I understand how it could happen, how does glazing affect the feel of pulsating? Do the pads grab the unglazed surfaces only? I only notice it when towing, but that could be because I have to press on the brakes more with 3 1/2 tons added.

I have a P2 and I set it at 6 when I got it and never changed it. I know the trailer brakes engage because as I leave my house or any campground, I check them manually. I think the biggest problem with them are they aren't very good brakes—they are relatively cheap and that's why they are used. You don't see electric drum brakes on cars or trucks and haven't seen even hydraulic drum brakes on them for generations. As for feeling pushed, I feel that when I am rolling and slowing down without braking—seems pretty natural when you have all that weight behind you. When you double the weight of your rig, momentum is going to carry you farther and you will feel pushed.

Gene

I don't feel it, but I see the rpm's increase and hear it. It sounds great.
I sometimes shift in manual mode, and sometimes I'm too lazy. Sometimes letting off the accelerator or touching the brake will cause it to downshift sooner.

TAC #MS-10
Airforums #70955
Old 06-30-2015, 01:45 PM   #635
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpt View Post

People say the Tundra drives like a big ole Camry. They mean it as a criticism, but I think that's a good thing. No other truck has a bigger back seat or bigger rear doors, not even a Ram Mega Cab.
Hard Core Toyota till I die!

TAC #MS-10
Airforums #70955
Old 06-30-2015, 01:58 PM   #636
gpt
4 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
sequim , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by m.hony View Post
People say the Tundra drives like a big ole Camry. They mean it as a criticism, but I think that's a good thing. No other truck has a bigger back seat or bigger rear doors, not even a Ram Mega Cab.
Hard Core Toyota till I die!

i have had 3 over stuffed family members in the back seat of the Ford, all of them well over 6' tall and in various stages of girth enhancement. easily fit all of them with plenty of elbow room to spare. full sized doors make loading and unloading quite easy on everyone.

with the two Tundra's i owned, i immediately had to add air bags in the rear as the 'truck' squatted with the boat and trailer, no WDH on that setup. this new Ford, no worries, suspension is there for no matter what the tow happens to be.

top that with this newer 6.7 diesel, an engine, finally, from Ford that was worth the expense, and i am a happy camper. here is hoping your vehicle performs equally for you.
Old 07-01-2015, 05:44 AM   #637
Rivet Master

2011 23' FB Flying Cloud
Chesterfield , Missouri
We all like our trucks. I went through three explorers and an expedition before I gave up. I'd guess a lot of Tundra drivers are former GM, Ford, or Dodge drivers. I'm glad there's enough difference between them to provide a choice. Just wouldn't be as interesting if they were all the same. My son has Fords. He got burned very badly with the 2nd generation diesel, but he's liking his new F150 (without ecoboost.) Heck, if I could make my Tundra ride even smoother, I'd go for it.
Old 07-01-2015, 08:27 AM   #638
Slowpoke

2012 27' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by GettinAway View Post
Heck, if I could make my Tundra ride even smoother, I'd go for it.
Well, here's your chance!

Our Tundra does the job just fine hauling stuff and towing the AS, but I found its unladen ride a bit unpleasant. It would respond to large surface changes OK, but it didn't do well with the small bumps, like expansion joints, broken pavement, etc. With 4WD it has quite a bit of unsprung weight, and it just felt a bit "disconnected" in those circumstances. Also, it exhibited more body roll than I liked on turns.

On the recommendation of many owners on TundraForums, I installed a set of Bilstein 4600 series shocks and a TRD rear sway bar.

Night and day! I don't notice much difference when loaded and towing, but the improvement is substantial when unladen. Now this big beast rides like a limousine! I'm *very* glad I did the suspension upgrade.
Gnorts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 08:53 AM   #639
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Wichita Falls , Texas
I'm still running stock shocks. Were you able to install them yourself. I'm not sure how the front shocks attach.

What about brakes. When it comes to replace the pads do you just get OEM or go for a different pad?

Kelvin
Old 07-01-2015, 01:44 PM   #640
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Everything about my truck is stock except the stereo and window tint.

TAC #MS-10
Airforums #70955
Old 07-02-2015, 06:29 AM   #641
Rivet Master

2011 23' FB Flying Cloud
Chesterfield , Missouri
Gnorts,
Where did you find the shocks and swaybar? Dealer, or other..?
Mine is still pretty much stock, and it's a base model. Also, did you do the install yourself? I'd like to improve my ride a bit. On exactly the same surfaces you describe.
Thanks
Jeff
Old 07-02-2015, 08:20 AM   #642
Slowpoke

2012 27' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
I bought the Bilstein 4600s online here:

Leader in OEM And Performance Parts and Accessories | Low Prices, Free Shipping over $75 | AJUSA.com

About $310 for the set. There's another style, with adjustable length, for trucks that have been lifted. The rear shocks and the swaybar are easy DIY installs, but the fronts are another story.

The front suspension is basically like McPherson struts, with the shocks inside the coil springs. Takes a fair amount of disassembly to install, so I had a shop do the whole job. Labor was about $250. The rear swaybar is Toyota OEM, the same one that's stock on the TRD trucks. It was about $300.
Gnorts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 04:15 PM   #643
AIR #6370

2001 27' Safari
Bella Vista , Arkansas
FYI: The 2016 Toyota Tundra is supposed to come out with a 5.0L Cummins V8 diesel. I consider the Tundra as a "heavy half" ton truck when looking at the suspension components compared to other half ton trucks.
A general rule of thumb is NOT to exceed 80% of the trucks towing capacity. This is especially true when towing in the Appalachians or the Rockies.
Old 07-02-2015, 06:06 PM   #644
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Are the 2016's out yet?
We're taking the car in for service in the morning and I am curious.

TAC #MS-10
Airforums #70955

Tags
toyota tundra, tow vehicles