Old 01-12-2015, 12:45 PM   #463
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Synthetic oil is made from natural gas.

Gene, a lot of factors go into determining OFL intervals. If you want closer insight then a quick search on BITOG should do it.

Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 01:30 PM   #464
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene View Post
You guys have to start driving. We have more than 98,000 miles, 50,000 towing from Alaska to Key West and much in between.

Here's a bit of a change of subject—I have always used full synthetic oil. Now Toyota recommends changing synthetic oil at 10,000 miles, not 5,000. I asked a service manager whether that meant I could change the oil in the Tundra at 10,000 miles like the newer Toyotas. Some new Toyotas come with synthetic, the '07 Tundra did not. He obviously hadn't a clue, so he just said stick with what the book says. But that begs the question—if synthetic oil is good for 10,000 miles, shouldn't it good no matter what vehicle it is in? Or does it get dirtier in an older vehicle? I have split the difference and will change it at 7,500 miles unless I am persuaded that is not ok. Persuade me (or not).

Gene

I did tow the Airstream 10,000 miles in 2014. After I got the truck paid for we went camping more. I can't do any more than that because I still work. My 1999 Nissan Pathfinder has 115,000 miles and my 2006 Harley-Davidson has just under 17,000 miles. Work gets in the way of play.

1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 01:30 PM   #465
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
From Wikipedia: Synthetic oil is a lubricant consisting of chemical compounds that are artificially made (synthesized). Synthetic lubricants can be manufactured using chemically modified petroleum components rather than whole crude oil, but can also be synthesized from other raw materials. Synthetic oil is used as a substitute for lubricant refined from petroleum when operating in extremes of temperature, because, in general, it provides superior mechanical and chemical properties to those found in traditional mineral oils[citation needed]. Aircraft jet engines, for example, require the use of synthetic oils[citation needed], whereas aircraft piston engines do not. Synthetic lubricants are also used in metal stamping to provide environmental and other benefits[citation needed] when compared to conventional petroleum and animal fat based products. These products are also referred to as "non-oil" or "oil free"[citation needed].

I was wrong, it is "synthesized".
Old 01-12-2015, 02:32 PM   #466
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Toyota Tundra as a Tow Vehicle

I remember the surprise I felt at reading about NG as a base stock many years ago. Started using synthetics in 1982. Use Rotella T6 5W40 now. Baldwin or Donaldson filters.

Gene, the T6 can be used in your gassers. Look for coupons and sales at the national chain auto parts houses. The boutique oils are too expensive, but if you have a local Schaeffer dealer use him. So I use this oil as the tribologist I consult for oil analysis recommended it years ago per my request for an off the shelf oil. Has since been improved.

Probably can't go wrong with any of them. It's all about new engine at the 200-300k mile marks. So change 10% early according to conditions, miles, engine hours. Once yearly at minimum.

Miles are overrated as factor. Sort of like TT weight. So I change at the same time I have annual inspection plus registration. And new fuel and air filters. Done all at same time by service station independent dealer.

Can't hurt to use block heater year round. Anything that shortens warm up time is good for oil longevity. Power cord on timer for two-three hours. KW hours is not significant on a monthly basis.

I have mine on today. Bumper mounted plug end. One could use Marinco. Temps below 50F in South Texas. Winter front on heat exchangers. I am at 115F at startup and hit 190F within ten miles at highway speed with two of four flaps open. Not easy on an overcooled diesel. And the WF maintains coolant temps longer when parked doing errands.

Avoiding extended idling is main thing for engine oil life, thus for engine life. May be that you can check engine hours on yours. Need to see near 30mph or better. Under 25 is considered idling. Divide hours into total miles for the average.

If I had a gasser I would go out of my way to use ethanol free gasoline. Online apps. Parish Oil and Dibles in GJ. Or only Shell or Exxon.
Old 01-12-2015, 04:20 PM   #467
jcl
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Vancouver , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene View Post
Here's a bit of a change of subject—I have always used full synthetic oil. Now Toyota recommends changing synthetic oil at 10,000 miles, not 5,000. I asked a service manager whether that meant I could change the oil in the Tundra at 10,000 miles like the newer Toyotas. Some new Toyotas come with synthetic, the '07 Tundra did not. He obviously hadn't a clue, so he just said stick with what the book says. But that begs the question—if synthetic oil is good for 10,000 miles, shouldn't it good no matter what vehicle it is in? Or does it get dirtier in an older vehicle? I have split the difference and will change it at 7,500 miles unless I am persuaded that is not ok. Persuade me (or not).

Gene
I have been running 24,000 km/15,000 mile changes on my last four BMWs, but that is close to the factory recommendation. Full synthetic Castrol 5w-30. Filters at a maximum of 24 months, and only OE filters as others may start to disintegrate IMO. On board condition monitoring of the oil, change interval adjusted based on use. The last two vehicles were calling for changes at 28,000 km, a little longer, due to my driving habits, but I did them early at 22,000 - 24,000.

One big difference is that BMW went to a 9 litre sump, so there is twice as much oil to hold dirt and contaminants. We used to put larger sumps on industrial engines to extend oil change intervals. Check and see if Toyota changed the oil refill quantity.

Full synthetics can stand up well, especially with the new cleaner engines that put fewer contaminants into the oil, but I would always start with manufacturer's recommendations. Any extended intervals I have done have been based on regular oil sampling, determination of oil TBN etc, and trending of wear metals over multiple samples. Not just on picking a new figure. I like to run 24,000 km because I know it works for me, and I haven't seen any appreciable oil consumption after 100,000 on any of these vehicles, so I trust it. But oil is relatively cheap compared to engines

I used to sell 3000 mile oil changes in a shop. It was a different era. Over the past few years I got very used to the BMW maintenance schedule, but when we got our daughter a Toyota Yaris with a small 4 cyl, I checked, and sure enough, it was calling for much more frequent service. The manufacturer's maintenance schedule is a good place to start. That Toyota needed those intervals, given the 3.5 litre sump and lower technology, IMO, regardless of which oil I used.

Jeff
Old 01-12-2015, 05:41 PM   #468
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
I thought in general on modern engines the oil change interval is always 5,000 miles for conventional oil and 10,000 miles for synthetic regardless of make, model, or engine size.
TAC #MS-10
Airforums #70955
Old 01-12-2015, 05:48 PM   #469
jcl
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Quote:
Originally Posted by m.hony View Post
I thought in general on modern engines the oil change interval is always 5,000 miles for conventional oil and 10,000 miles for synthetic regardless of make, model, or engine size.
I don't know about all modern engines, but BMW (as one example) used 7500 mile oil change intervals for model years up to 1991; 10,000 mile intervals for models up to 1998; and 15,000 mile intervals for models from 1999. All used condition based monitoring to modify the baseline oil change interval based on use.

Jeff
Old 01-12-2015, 05:55 PM   #470
4 Rivet Member

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
Longmont , Colorado
Quote:
I have a 2010 model year GM vehicle that doesn't state any distance for the oil change interval. It displays a percent oil life remaining number on the dash. (It also calls for a change every year regardless of the oil life remaining)
Old 01-12-2015, 11:41 PM   #471
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Hi, my old cars with regular oil were changed at 3,000 miles. My Lincoln uses a Synthetic Blend and is changed at 5,000 miles. And as mentioned above, My wife's BMW with full Synthetic is changed at 15,000 miles. Not sure on the oil change mileage for my New F-150 is. My truck will let me know when it is due.

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 05:30 AM   #472
Rivet Master

2011 23' FB Flying Cloud
Chesterfield , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS View Post
Hi, my wife's BMW has an oil change rate at 15,000 miles. Scary to me, but so far so good. I do 5,000 miles on the Lincoln.
You've probably seen this on a bmw site, but I've read (on the internet ) that the reason they (bmw) say 15,000 miles, is because they provide the service for new car purchases. It saves them a lot of money to push it out that far, and nobody (the majority) of bmw owners don't drive them for more than a few years,mor until the warranty runs out. Mine is supposed to be 15,000, all I do is 10,000, and that's with mostly highway driving.
I don't think I'll do 10,000 with the Tundra, if a high percentage of it is pulling a trailer.
Old 01-13-2015, 01:17 PM   #473
jcl
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Quote:
Originally Posted by GettinAway View Post
You've probably seen this on a bmw site, but I've read (on the internet ) that the reason they (bmw) say 15,000 miles, is because they provide the service for new car purchases. It saves them a lot of money to push it out that far, and nobody (the majority) of bmw owners don't drive them for more than a few years, or until the warranty runs out. Mine is supposed to be 15,000, all I do is 10,000, and that's with mostly highway driving.
I don't think I'll do 10,000 with the Tundra, if a high percentage of it is pulling a trailer.
There are lots of people spreading that myth.

BMWNA (in the US) and BMWCA (in Canada) provide prepaid maintenance on new vehicles, for four years. It is included in the purchase price. There is no free lunch. In the US dealers have often provided early (extra) oil change intervals for low annual mileage customers.

The rest of the world doesn't get the prepaid maintenance, yet has the same maintenance schedule.

The prepaid maintenance in North America didn't debut at the same time as the longer intervals. People seem to think they were concurrent. It wasn't about saving money, it was about overcoming owner's reluctance to use dealers for maintenance work.

BMW Financial Services holds the lease residuals on all those vehicles being run with standard oil change intervals, and has done so for over a decade. Doesn't seem to have hurt them.

I think it is a good idea to do more frequent servicing under extreme service conditions, including towing. But the 15,000 mile standard figure is a reflection of the engineering put into both the vehicle and the lubricants, IMO.
Old 01-13-2015, 01:26 PM   #474
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by GettinAway View Post
You've probably seen this on a bmw site, but I've read (on the internet ) that the reason they (bmw) say 15,000 miles, is because they provide the service for new car purchases. It saves them a lot of money to push it out that far, and nobody (the majority) of bmw owners don't drive them for more than a few years,mor until the warranty runs out. Mine is supposed to be 15,000, all I do is 10,000, and that's with mostly highway driving.
Hi, although we bought this car used at 15,000 miles, we only received two more oil changes on their dime.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcl View Post
There are lots of people spreading that myth.

BMWNA (in the US) and BMWCA (in Canada) provide prepaid maintenance on new vehicles, for four years. It is included in the purchase price. There is no free lunch. In the US dealers have often provided early (extra) oil change intervals for low annual mileage customers.

The rest of the world doesn't get the prepaid maintenance, yet has the same maintenance schedule.

The prepaid maintenance in North America didn't debut at the same time as the longer intervals. People seem to think they were concurrent. It wasn't about saving money, it was about overcoming owner's reluctance to use dealers for maintenance work.

BMW Financial Services holds the lease residuals on all those vehicles being run with standard oil change intervals, and has done so for over a decade. Doesn't seem to have hurt them.

I think it is a good idea to do more frequent servicing under extreme service conditions, including towing. But the 15,000 mile standard figure is a reflection of the engineering put into both the vehicle and the lubricants, IMO.
Hi, I have the oil changed when the dash indicator says it's time. And that has been every 15,000 miles. My brother has his changed once a year but I believe they charge him for that. [not sure]

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 01:27 PM   #475
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
How in the world does a Tundra as a Tow Vehicle thread become about a BMW oil change interval?
TAC #MS-10
Airforums #70955
Old 01-13-2015, 03:10 PM   #476
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
How many posts in this thread; and, do you think it will survive a short diversion?

Tags
toyota tundra, tow vehicles