Old 12-20-2014, 07:19 PM   #421
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowmover View Post
I should have said FUEL price differential. A good diesel will last longer than a gasser so that accounts for initial price difference.

I disagree. We have gas trucks at work with 520,000 miles. Gas is less. Maintenance is less. No DEF. The diesel engine costs about $5,000 more.
With 44,000 miles on an '07 I don't think lasting longer will ever matter to me.

1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 07:25 PM   #422
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Toyota Tundra as a Tow Vehicle

My '08 Tundra 2WD
Average towing is right at 14mpg doing the calculations at the pump. Not the computer. I have had sustained mileage according to the computer of as much as 18 mpg. In these instances I was towing my 26' Argosy near El Centro, CA where the elevation is 200' + below sea level. I do not use cruise control when towing. And normally tow in 4th gear. The truck is in Tow/Haul mode and the shifter is in "S" mode. The total weight of my truck and trailer when loaded for travel is 11,400#'s.
When the truck is empty of cargo I will get 17.5 to 20 mpg depending on driving conditions.
I rarely drive over 65 mph. Most of my driving is at 60 mph or just above.
To an earlier post. Pulling the west side of the Eisenhower Tunnel will not be a problem with your Tundra.
I would put the 5.7 Ltr V8 up against any Diesel engine in a pickup when it comes to longevity. Especially when it comes to fuel and maintenance/repair costs.
I have an '85 Toyota SR 5 with a 2.4 Ltr 4 cylinder engine that has right at 300,000 miles and is still running strong. Other than tires and oil changes. The repair cost over 30 years has been less than $1,000.
I am not one to baby a truck. I just take good care. And drive sensibly.
I just bought a new battery to replace the original in the Tundra. When the guy in the auto parts store told me it has a 75 month warranty.
Being close to 70, I wonder if I will expire before the warrantee is up.
Maybe it is because I really don't get too concerned about the mileage I get. It is nice I must admit. But if it were 10mpg. I would still go.

Sent from my iPod touch using Airstream Forums

Old 12-21-2014, 11:10 AM   #423
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Wichita Falls , Texas
Mine is the 2WD.

Kelvin
Old 12-24-2014, 09:27 PM   #424
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Lots of things affect mileage—4WD, type of tire (rolling resistance is important), wind, cargo, trailer wind resistance and weight, is the pickup bed closed up to reduce wind turbulence and the driver. So all these comparisons are invalid unless you break it down and analyze and then come up with the inevitable answer—my truck is best.

Living at nearly 7,000' and traveling up and down a lot (half mile up or down to town plus going anywhere in the Rockies) I think pulling up hill always uses more gas than rolling down. But having towed from Fla. to Alaska ands lots of places in between, I have not seen any difference in mileage no matter what the altitude is.

Daily driver use—around 16-17. Towing 9-14, usually 11 or 12. We got 14 in NM going south with a 45 mph tailwind. And, going south is downhill on the map.

Someone pointed that Toyota has done nothing to improve gas mileage. I think they are working on a 9 or 10 speed with GM and maybe that's not going well. The truck I paid $29K for in '07 and pretty much the same as the one they are selling for $40+ K now. Why replace it? The Tundra is past the usual point of a major change, but all they have done is change more sheet metal and done some interior design changes.

I don't like the size of the gas tank either. Not that I don't want to stop to walk around, change drivers, use the bathroom, eat. I just want to have leeway to buy gas where it is cheaper or where I don't have to worry about no gas for many miles. I always carry extra gas and have used it rarely, but it feels good to have it going to Alaska—especially going to the North Slope. I had to use it once in Montana where things can be far apart too.

We are at 98,000 and everything works like new. Well, the headlight lens's have fogged and I renew them every year because I am sure new ones cost hundreds.

Gene
Old 12-25-2014, 07:40 AM   #425
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Try eBay, Gene. I paid $100 over a year ago for a pair of lamp housings for the Dodge that the dealer listed at $325/ea. The rot is not only on the surface.

from the AIRphone
Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 04:55 PM   #426
1 Rivet Member

2008 25' International CCD
Penn Laird , Virginia
Tundra performance

I have a 2008 25 foot International CCD that is 5800 pounds dry and has a gross trailer weight of 7300 pounds. It also has a tongue weight of 800 pounds. My wife and I have been pulling it for almost five years with a 2010 Tundra with a 5.7 liter engine. the Tundra performs wonderfully. We have done about 30,000 miles with this rig. On our trip from our home in Virginia to Montana and Wyoming we crossed the Continental Divide several times. We were all over the Rockies. The Tundra went up Teton Pass without a strain. It breaked coming down the other side without a strain. We have traveled all over the Appalachians and in the mountains of Vermont and New Hampshire. Never did I sense that the Tundra was anywhere near its limit. Never did it overheat or do anything else to let me know that it was not enjoying every minute of it. We have a fiberglass cap on the truck, that is not light, and we carry two bicycles, a canoe, two heavy chairs, a barbeque grill, and a lot of beer and wine. I never doubted that my truck would not be able to take on the additional 800 pounds of your trailer. I was getting 12.5 mpg with the original tires, but went with a wider replacement set of tires and that reduced the mileage to 10.8 mpg.
Old 12-26-2014, 05:32 PM   #427
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Amen, ditto, I concur, I agree, what he said, word up, and bet that-
TAC #MS-10
Airforums #70955
Old 12-26-2014, 05:33 PM   #428
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
And on cruise control with the system on blast-
TAC #MS-10
Airforums #70955
Old 12-28-2014, 05:39 PM   #429
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
As reliable as the Tundra is, they haven't changed anything except some sheet metal and some of the interior—and, they raised the price a lot.

The Tundra is a couple of years overdue for a major change. I don't know if they are waiting for more economical transmission or some engine changes that aren't ready, but they are losing the gas mileage contest to Ford and Chevy.

If I were in the market for a 1/2 ton truck, why buy a new Tundra? Look for a used one—they last and last. When Toyota finally improves gas mileage, then wait a year or two and then buy one when any problems are worked out. I'm driving mine for years to come.

Gene
Old 12-28-2014, 10:10 PM   #430
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
If I were buying a new truck today, I would still buy a Tundra- maybe a white one this time-
One aspect is that here we get a little better service from the Toyota place. The Chevy/Nissan/Ram place and the Ford/GMC place could fall in the river and I wouldn't miss them- I take my Nissan to the next town for service. They charge less for labor and are a little more honest/have more integrity-
TAC #MS-10
Airforums #70955
Old 01-05-2015, 10:54 AM   #431
Rivet Master

2011 23' FB Flying Cloud
Chesterfield , Missouri
Joined the Tundra club. I've been pulling our 23FC with our Landcruiser, but wanted a bit more room (truck bed for generator) and towing capacity. I found a 2012 with 26,000 miles. It's just the base model, but has the tow package and the 5.7. They gave me more for my 4 Runner than I thought they would, so the deal was done.
It's charcoal grey, so it should look "ok" with the AS. (At least that's what my wife thinks, and as long as she's happy...)
Just curious, do you guys just hit tow mode on the tranny, and don't bother to manual shift? Or do you the manual shift mode while towing? Except on long downhills in the mountains, where I've always run in lower gears.
I may have to reconfigure my hitch, as the receiver is a lot higher on the Tundra than it was on the LC. I'll see how it looks.
Hoping I can get in the 12 to 14 mpg range while towing. 250 mile range will be enough for me. The cruiser was pushing it at 200 miles if I was over 60 mph.
I always thought I'd have a diesel, but I was hunting with my brother in his F 250 the other day. It was my turn to fill the tank.. $100!!!! Whew. Too much $$ to get it, too much to buy fuel, and too much to maintain. $100+ oil changes..
I'll stay with gas. I don't see prices staying this low for gas, but I do think the cost differential between gas and diesel will stay around.
I'll post a pic when we get the trailer out of hibernation this spring. Ha
Old 01-05-2015, 11:16 AM   #432
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Dallas , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by GettinAway View Post
Joined the Tundra club. I've been pulling our 23FC with our Landcruiser, but wanted a bit more room (truck bed for generator) and towing capacity. I found a 2012 with 26,000 miles. It's just the base model, but has the tow package and the 5.7. They gave me more for my 4 Runner than I thought they would, so the deal was done.
It's charcoal grey, so it should look "ok" with the AS. (At least that's what my wife thinks, and as long as she's happy...)
Just curious, do you guys just hit tow mode on the tranny, and don't bother to manual shift? Or do you the manual shift mode while towing? Except on long downhills in the mountains, where I've always run in lower gears.
I may have to reconfigure my hitch, as the receiver is a lot higher on the Tundra than it was on the LC. I'll see how it looks.
Hoping I can get in the 12 to 14 mpg range while towing. 250 mile range will be enough for me. The cruiser was pushing it at 200 miles if I was over 60 mph.
I always thought I'd have a diesel, but I was hunting with my brother in his F 250 the other day. It was my turn to fill the tank.. $100!!!! Whew. Too much $$ to get it, too much to buy fuel, and too much to maintain. $100+ oil changes..
I'll stay with gas. I don't see prices staying this low for gas, but I do think the cost differential between gas and diesel will stay around.
I'll post a pic when we get the trailer out of hibernation this spring. Ha
Your mileage hopes should be pretty accurate. I get about 13 when towing with my 2011 Tundra base model. Got about 19.77 (without AS) on a trip to South Texas last month that included some 85 mph on the "Texas Autobahn" between Austin and Seguin.

Range of gas tank really hasn't been an issue... we like to make sure we stop and stretch so getting gas is a good excuse....

It's the first "big" pickup I've ever owned and I couldn't be happier.

I use tow haul mode when towing and only use the manual shifting on downhill grades in the mountains... and it works beautifully... this fall in the Blue Ridge mountains coming down off a 3600 foot pass, I think I touched the brakes exactly twice in 6 miles.....

Dana
Goal15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 11:34 AM   #433
Rivet Master

2011 23' FB Flying Cloud
Chesterfield , Missouri
I hit 60 this last summer. Like a lot of decisions now, I'm thinking about after I retire. The Tundra should be around a long time. We've always put 250,000 on them before replacing them. This is the first US made Toyota product we've had though.
I take that back, I had a Tacoma, I think was built in CA. Loved that truck, but it was working pulling our old 19' Bambi through the mountains.
Thanks for the info. I want to head for Alaska with the AS for a few months after I retire. The Tundra should do fine.
Old 01-05-2015, 11:43 AM   #434
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Wichita Falls , Texas
I find I get as good of mileage towing in 5th gear with my heavy 2008 Classic 25fb as it do in 6th. When in 6th the transmission would always shift to 5th on the smallest hills. I shift to S then switch up from 4 to 5 and leave it there. I don't have to press on the accelerator as much to maintain 60 in 5th gear. I only use 6 on flat interstates with little headwinds. I've experimented with Tow Haul and don't find it much difference. I'll use it going down grades to help with the braking.

With your 23 probably at least 1000 or more pounds lighter you should be able to stay in 6, except in hilly terrain then shift to 5.

When in hills I always manually shift from 5 to 4 to 3 when starting to hit a hill.

Does your Tundra have the shift on the steering wheel or on the center console between the seats.

Kelvin

Tags
toyota tundra, tow vehicles