Old 12-12-2014, 04:11 PM   #393
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
N/A , N/A
Here is the door sticker of an F150 from "Ford F150 Eco-Boost." thread.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f463...ml#post1552849

FAWR: 3900#
Rawr: 4050#
GVWR: 7700#

Tundra seems to have similar front and rear axle ratings, but a much lower GVWR. I don't know why -- If I put my cynic hat on, I would guess Toyota is being honest and Ford is BS'ing the number up (As they did with tow rating numbers before). Any other thoughts?

Old 12-12-2014, 06:24 PM   #394
3 Rivet Member

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Washington , Washington, D.C.
The F-150s with 7650 or 7700 GVWR are those with the max payload and max trailer tow package. A number of components aware heavies up, including the differential. The GAWR reflects the manufacturer's view of the capabilities of the axle, including the suspension, bearings wheels and tires. The GVWR has more to do with drivetrain components, especially transmission and differential.

Old 12-12-2014, 06:45 PM   #395
4 Rivet Member

2015 30' Classic
Calgary , Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC Bruce View Post
The F-150s with 7650 or 7700 GVWR are those with the max payload and max trailer tow package. A number of components aware heavies up, including the differential. The GAWR reflects the manufacturer's view of the capabilities of the axle, including the suspension, bearings wheels and tires. The GVWR has more to do with drivetrain components, especially transmission and differential.

Wouldn't a gross combined rating have more of a bearing on drivetrain...diffs/tranny etc....the total mass that those components are expected to support/pull. Payload/GVWR seem to me would be more of a specification related to the suspension/tires/wheels.

In a really simplistic way:

Vertical vs horizontal load
GVWR(payload) vs GCWR

That's why the disconnect between GVWR and Axle ratings doesn't make much sense.
cory_can is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 09:19 PM   #396
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
For every vehicle I have ever seen the max axles weights added are greater than the total vehicle capacity.

I asked about this once of a professional and he said you can take one axle to the max but the remaining axles have to be reduced by a lot.

>>>>>>Action
Old 12-13-2014, 01:02 PM   #397
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Wichita Falls , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC Bruce View Post
The 2014 Supercrew Ford F150 I looked at a couple of weeks ago had only the Max Tow Pkg but had 157"WB and a 7700 GVWR Pkg on the window sticker. It had a payload of 1765 on the door yellow sticker. If it had the HD Payload package it would've had another 500lbs of payload probably. The same dealer had a 2013 Lariet EB 157" WB trade in with the HD Payload but they sent it to auction. It had only 19k miles. The previous owner special ordered it and towed heavy gooseneck livestock trailers and decided to go Ram diesel. I would've like to see the truck and the payload sticker. Apparently there was a 4" hold in the bed for the gooseneck attachment.

Kelvin
Old 12-13-2014, 02:05 PM   #398
4 Rivet Member

2015 23' FB International
2007 19' International CCD
Steamboat Springs , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steamy1 View Post
If Cory_Can is right, that the GVWR is 7200, and the combined weight of the vehicle axles is 7406, then it could be over by 200 lbs. Which is confusing is that the individual axle limits total 8150. I guess I'll find out when I get the data from the vehicle sticker.
Checked the sticker and the GVWR is 7200, so the actual weight in the configuration previously described is in excess of 200 lbs. Given the fact that:
  • the fuel tank was 1/2 full;
  • only two passengers and a dog, probably not exceeding 300 lbs. total;
  • holding tanks empty;
  • limited food on board;
  • still lots of space left in the truck bed, certainly not full;
makes me re-think the capacity of the Tundra and its ability to accommodate our needs with a comfortable margin. The SnugTop Topper reduces the cargo capacity, but we need the weather-protected space.

Unless I am missing something, I guess we will need to consider a 3/4 ton for our next truck.
Old 12-13-2014, 02:54 PM   #399
3 Rivet Member

2004 22' Safari
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by evsjr View Post

Any knowledge, experience, or advice out there?

Thanks, Bud (evsjr)

Lots of replies. Most deal with older Tundras.

I have the 2014 Tundra with the 6 speed transmission.

Third or Fourth gear is 1:1, the next up is .85 to 1. The gearing with a 4.3 rear axle ratio lets you pull a mountain but still get reasonable road mileage for a vehicle that otherwise would have to tow a fuel truck and a trailer.
Old 12-14-2014, 10:56 AM   #400
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Wichita Falls , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steamy1 View Post
Checked the sticker and the GVWR is 7200, so the actual weight in the configuration previously described is in excess of 200 lbs. Given the fact that:
  • the fuel tank was 1/2 full;
  • only two passengers and a dog, probably not exceeding 300 lbs. total;
  • holding tanks empty;
  • limited food on board;
  • still lots of space left in the truck bed, certainly not full;
makes me re-think the capacity of the Tundra and its ability to accommodate our needs with a comfortable margin. The SnugTop Topper reduces the cargo capacity, but we need the weather-protected space.

Unless I am missing something, I guess we will need to consider a 3/4 ton for our next truck.
After reading this forum and Tundra forums about the Tundra for towing 5th wheels and trailers I have read of no accounts of suspension and drivetrain failures after towing. The 5.7L Tundras are now 7 years old. So if we are all over payload by a few hundred pounds its not harming the truck and not worth worrying about.

Kelvin
Old 12-14-2014, 03:43 PM   #401
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonginator View Post
+1

What's the tongue weight loaded of your 27? Payload includes, gas, passengers, add ons like steps. I love my Tundra but the payload is limiting.
I don't have a 27', I have a 25'. There's not a lot of difference between them though. The 25' has a stated tongue wt. of 720, but reality is a couple of hundred pounds more for most people and includes the spare tire, propane and anything else loaded on the tongue. For. ex., if you replace the batteries, the new ones may weigh more.

Payload on the sticker already accounts for gas and other fluids. I don't believe driver wt. is included. Any options not installed at the factory should be subtracted from payload.

You can drive into a Colorado weigh station and get weighed for free. I worry they may check Tundra weights and not let you leave if you are over, though I doubt they care.

Since I've towed 50,000 miles with our '07 Tundra and nothing has broken, I guess I'll just keep truckin' and be at peace.

Gene
Old 12-15-2014, 09:44 AM   #402
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJRitchie View Post
After reading this forum and Tundra forums about the Tundra for towing 5th wheels and trailers I have read of no accounts of suspension and drivetrain failures after towing. The 5.7L Tundras are now 7 years old. So if we are all over payload by a few hundred pounds its not harming the truck and not worth worrying about.

Kelvin
Good point Kelvin. I suspect every 1/2 ton TV towing a fifth wheel is way overloaded. While I am a few hundred pounds under the GVWR and RAWR for my Tundra when towing my 5,000 lb Tradewind, I believe that I will be at or slightly over the vehicle or axle ratings when I load up and start towing my 34'.

I won't lose any sleep if I am towing too heavy since I tend to tow slow at 60 mph max, tend to tow on smooth roads thus minimising the dynamic loads and I drive very defensively due to many thousands of miles of motorcycle touring over the past 40 years. While I might consider a 3/4 ton truck if I were in the market for a new truck, I would never consider selling my 5.7L Tundra just cuz I was over the weight limits by a few hundred pounds.

Now having said that, I also plan on checking my weight on a regular basis so I can shed or shift pounds as needed to be under or at least not over by much the vehicle weight limits.

I believe payload is very confusing at least based on the Toyota numbers. My manual says my payload is 1,680 lbs, but the door sticker says 1,475 lbs. The best and most accurate way to determine your payload, if you already own the truck, is to gas it up and take it to a weigh station. Your payload is simply the GVWR minus your weight.

Dan
Old 12-15-2014, 10:03 AM   #403
4 Rivet Member

2015 30' Classic
Calgary , Alberta
Toyota Tundra as a Tow Vehicle

I'm sure you'll be fine at a few hundred pounds over....I was merely letting you know where you stood on the "official" payload numbers. It's funny, many individuals believe that since they have bought a beefy pickup with a V8 (that somehow can tow 10K pounds) it must also have practically "unlimited" carrying capacity.

It's great that at least you are being realistic.
cory_can is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 10:05 AM   #404
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by rostam View Post
Here is the door sticker of an F150 from "Ford F150 Eco-Boost." thread.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f463...ml#post1552849

FAWR: 3900#
Rawr: 4050#
GVWR: 7700#

Tundra seems to have similar front and rear axle ratings, but a much lower GVWR. I don't know why -- If I put my cynic hat on, I would guess Toyota is being honest and Ford is BS'ing the number up (As they did with tow rating numbers before). Any other thoughts?
Good point rostam. That is why I put more importance on the axle ratings than the vehicle rating. My Tundra axle ratings are similar (3900 lbs front, 4100 lbs rear) yet my GVWR is only 6900 lbs, 800 lbs less than the f150 eco boost. I would not have any confidence that this TV would have a higher payload than my Tundra.

Dan
Old 12-15-2014, 11:07 AM   #405
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Tundra pullin' a big travel trailer 4 1/2 years now with no problems.
I don't quite get the argument of a 25' vs. a 27'. I tow a 30'. Maybe the tongue weight is higher on the 27' than the 30'?
If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Run what you brung.
I am most likely overloaded, but the truck don't seem to know or care.
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 05:51 PM   #406
gpt
4 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
sequim , Washington
i got rid of my Tundra. 26g fuel tank, 15mpg unladen, 8-9 towing, no thanks. not enough truck for my tastes as a tow vehicle. but, still a nice 1/2 ton if major towing is not in the cards for you.

Tags
toyota tundra, tow vehicles