Old 04-01-2011, 11:53 AM   #267
Hugh

2007 25' Safari FB SE
2017 30' Flying Cloud
Highland , California
Purchased the cool air intake, and yes there was more of a throaty sound from "hard" acceleration, but no more than dual exhausts. Factory will not rate power/efficiency anymore. Aparenently someone dyno'd the engine after the installation and the results we're in some cases less than the then published improvements and may have asked for their money back because the power improvements were not exactly 20hp as rated. So.....yes you can "feel" the improvement in power. Not really sure about the gas mileage imporvement, but my range on a tank of gas has improved from about 350 miles to close to 400. If my math is correct it would be close to a 2 mile/gal improvement.

Old 04-01-2011, 12:16 PM   #268

2017 26' Flying Cloud
1976 Argosy 28
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by zapper View Post
Purchased the cool air intake, and yes there was more of a throaty sound from "hard" acceleration, but no more than dual exhausts. Factory will not rate power/efficiency anymore. Aparenently someone dyno'd the engine after the installation and the results we're in some cases less than the then published improvements and may have asked for their money back because the power improvements were not exactly 20hp as rated. So.....yes you can "feel" the improvement in power. Not really sure about the gas mileage imporvement, but my range on a tank of gas has improved from about 350 miles to close to 400. If my math is correct it would be close to a 2 mile/gal improvement.
What you can feel that doesn't show up in testing is often just that, a feeling. I'm not saying cold-air intakes never make a difference, just that there's often a placebo effect with new toys. It's probably also difficult to get good tests that match real-world conditions, since generally dyno tests are run with the hood up and fans going to avoid high under-hood temps that cold-air intakes are meant to work around. Lots of variables to control.

Old 04-04-2011, 10:38 PM   #269
64 Globetrotter

1964 19' Globetrotter
Seattle , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by evsjr View Post
I was recently rear-ended by an 18-wheeler (trailer not in tow) which ended the towing career of my Cadillac ESV Escalade. I tow a 2007 27 FB Classic. I am fully aware that I towed at the edge with the Escalade, but carefully controlled loading and never had any problems. However, I am considering replacing the Escalade with the Tundra with 5.7 liter engine and 6-speed transmission. The listed tow rating of this truck is 10,100 lbs. My 27-footer typically weighs in at about 6,600 lbs (NOT counting 800 lbs on the tongue), but is rated up to 9,000 lbs.... can't imagine loading to that limit.

All of my weights are within the advertised capacity of the Tundra with 15 to 20 percent margin.

The truck will become my daily driver and I prefer not going to a 2500 HD Dodge/Chevy/Ford. Have cosidered a 2500 Suburban or GMC, but Toyota looks more user friendly for me.

Any knowledge, experience, or advice out there?

Thanks, Bud (evsjr)
Don't think you will be sorry, the Tundra's a great TV and a great truck, love mine now I've upgraded from a tacoma. Took the AS (OK only a 19') up Snowquamie pass as a test run. Could hardly tell the AS was back there.
man7sell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 03:21 AM   #270
1 Rivet Member

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Round Hill , Virginia
tundra as tv for 25 fb flying cloud

I tow my 2010 25 fb Flying Cloud with a 2010 5.7 double cab 4x4 tundra and love it. Plenty of power, get about 11.5 mpg at 65 mph towing. the truck rides like an suv, the Sequoia is the same chassis, so its comfy and handles well. I know others who tow a 27 ft airstream and they have had plenty of power too. Also, once I didnt properly connect my brake controller cable to the truck, then headed down a steep grade in vermont, in low gear in the truck (love the tiptronic manual shifting option) using only the truck brakes, had no issues.

chu

download Toyota's towing guide for more info

http://www.toyota.com/pdfs/towguide_Part1.pdf
Old 04-05-2011, 08:58 AM   #271
SRW
TEXAS66

Georgetown , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by man7sell View Post
Don't think you will be sorry, the Tundra's a great TV and a great truck, love mine now I've upgraded from a tacoma. Took the AS (OK only a 19') up Snowquamie pass as a test run. Could hardly tell the AS was back there.
I have 76,000 miles on my 5.7l 2007 Tundra Crew Max Limited, and tow a 2008, 27' International. The tundra has been a great tow vehicle. In fact, since we only have the one vehicle, it is our daily driver.

If you do get the Tundra, which I strongly recommend, please spend the bucks and get the extended warranty. Usually I don't, but with the Tundra I did and if you read my posting regards to the transmission, you will understand why I am making this suggestion. By the way if you decide the warranty may be extended to eight years if it is purchased before the truck is three years old.

One more thing on the warranty that you may not know. Any Toyota dealer can sell the "manufacture's" warranty and it may save a few bucks if you do some price comparison. I refer here to the "Toyota" warranty and not a third party warranty.
Old 04-06-2011, 06:54 AM   #272
1 Rivet Member

1991 34' Limited
Wylie , Texas
I was limited on funds after I bought my used 1991, 34' Classic Limited in 2008 so I bought a 2008 Tundra 5.7 crewmax as a tow vehicle. (Crazy I know) I towed my A.S. A total of about 20k miles with the Tundra. I thought it did great BUT when the truck hit 55,000 miles I had a rear axle bearing go out. I just traded it in for a new Ram 2500 heavy duty diesel and I'm glad I did. I can't even feel the trailer behind me and I get better fuel mileage while towing. Don't get me wrong, I loved my Tundra, but it really isn't made for towing a trailer as large as mine. Better to be safe than sorry!
Old 06-15-2011, 05:00 PM   #273
2 Rivet Member

2011 27 FB International
La Quinta , California
2011 Tundra 5.7

Just finished my 1st week towing my new 27FB International from the low desert in So Cal to Monument Valley via Grand Canyon. 6000' elevation change average was 10.8 MPG. Glad I'm out of California prices.
Old 06-16-2011, 10:53 AM   #274
1 Rivet Member

1991 34' Limited
Wylie , Texas
Traded the Tundra

I had an 08 Tundra that I was pulling my 34' AS for about 20k miles, the truck had 56k on it total when i traded in. The problem I had was the rear axle bearings, and it was most likely because I should have never pulled a 34 footer with a half ton. Switched to a 2011 Ram 2500 (laramie).
It feels MUCH safer, The steering isnt affected by heavy winds and I get better fuel milage/cost$. Cummins pulls like a champ! I really only went with the Tundra because at the time that's all the payment I wanted, it was less than halkf the price of the RAM.
Old 03-22-2013, 01:12 PM   #275
SRW
TEXAS66

Georgetown , Texas
No More T

After a new transmission (replaced under warranty) and starter I was told the Tundra (112,000 miles) needed a new drive shaft and water pump. OK, a water pump not a compete surprise, but a drive shaft. I was advised that the seal between the drive shaft and the "new" transmission was leaking and the ply solution was a new drive shaft at a cost of $2,100.

The Tundra towed our Airstream about 30,000 out of the total 112,000 and never failed to get us home. Nonetheless, I wanted to at least get to 200,000 miles before major repairs.

Anyway, now I am towing with a Ford and will post more about that on the Ford site.
Old 03-23-2013, 01:58 PM   #276
Ladylongwinger

2000 27' Safari
McAllister , Montana
Tundra troubles

What year, model, etc. is your Tundra?

Anne
Old 03-23-2013, 07:33 PM   #277
SRW
TEXAS66

Georgetown , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladylongwing View Post
What year, model, etc. is your Tundra?

Anne
My Tundra WAS a:

2005, CrewMax Limited, 5.7L
Old 03-23-2013, 08:07 PM   #278
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by SRW View Post
My Tundra WAS a:

2005, CrewMax Limited, 5.7L
The 5.7L wasn't available until 2007.

doug k
Old 03-23-2013, 08:35 PM   #279
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
Typo? SRW's profile says "2007" Tundra.

==========

Wikipedia quote regarding Tundra problems:

"On December 13, 2007, Toyota Motor Corp recalled 15,600 4x4 2007 model-year Tundras in the United States because a rear propeller shaft joint may fail. 'There is a possibility that a joint in the rear propeller shaft may have been improperly heat treated, resulting in insufficient hardness,' Toyota said. Adding, 'This may cause a section of the rear propeller shaft to separate at the joint.' ... If the hardness is not correct the dealer will then replace the rear propeller shaft.

"In Consumer Reports' 2007 survey, the 4x4 Tundra had a below-average reliability rating due mainly to problems with the four-wheel-drive system. However, as of November 10, 2008, Consumer Reports' 2008 survey showed that Toyota in general has apparently solved the problems. In April 2010 the Tundra had an average reliability rating..."

==========

We have had absolutely no problems with our 2008 2WD Tundra CrewMax Limited, although there have been a couple of recalls to correct issues reported by other owners. Since purchasing this vehicle new, besides normal preventative maintenance (oil and filter changes, etc.), all we have done is install a new set of tires.
Old 03-25-2013, 09:20 AM   #280
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix View Post

We have had absolutely no problems with our 2008 2WD Tundra CrewMax Limited, although there have been a couple of recalls to correct issues reported by other owners. Since purchasing this vehicle new, besides normal preventative maintenance (oil and filter changes, etc.), all we have done is install a new set of tires.
Pretty much the same for our 2007—replaced brake pedal twice under recall, did some front suspension work under recall. Front rotors replaced after OEM ones warped. I think fit and finish is not as good as our previous Toyotas, but the engine is very powerful, running gear has worked flawlessly and tows easily. About 45,000 miles towing, 81,000 total.

SRW may have had one of the early 2007 models, ours was at the end of the model year.

Gene

Tags
toyota tundra, tow vehicles