Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-12-2013, 08:54 AM   #341
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
Jimbob

I would estimate that the fuel economy change in going from 55 to 65 mph would drop by about 20%. The best way to determine the change is by a test. Reset the fuel economy meter and drive 25 miles with the cruise control set on 55 mph. Then reset the fuel economy meter again, increase your speed to 65 mph using cruise control, drive 25 miles and compare the results.

Gene

The 1,680 figure should include all factory options as it was specified for the SR5 package and the 5.7L motor (which included the tow package). The only other option I installed was the bed cap (about 200 lbs).

Of course the best way to determine your real payload is to weigh the truck with you in it and a full tank of fuel and subtract this number from the GVWR of 6,900 lbs (for my truck).

I would not expect any change in the payload numbers for the 2014 Tundra since all they changed is the cosmetics, but we can always hope for an increase in the payload. I don't think that Toyota is particularly concerned about payload since most consumers only care about how much they can tow. They don't realize that they will be exceeding the GVWR and the RAWR long before they exceed the max trailer tow rating.

Dan
TouringDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 09:22 AM   #342
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
I don't trust the computer readout on my 2010 Tundra SR5. Its not all that accurate. Calculating the mileage is more accurate if you take the odometer reading and divide it by gallons pumped the next time you fill up. I just use it as a trend gauge, if it goes up I'm getting better mileage than before.

Kelvin
KJRitchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 09:27 AM   #343
JT

1973 27' Overlander
El Paso , Texas
Thanks, I will do both. I have never had or used a fuel conservation meter before but am looking forward to using it and hope it will improve our mpg.
jimbob79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 12:53 PM   #344
1 Rivet Member

2015 30' Flying Cloud
Asheville , North Carolina
Tundra towing FCloud 30'

You will be very happy with the Tundra. Our 2008 IForce V8 tows our new 2014 FC 31' like a dream. I will never own anything else for towing. Good luck.
John Moody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 08:51 PM   #345
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
The payload of the Tundra is in addition to the weight of the driver and a full tank of fuel. Don't know what they figure for the average weight of the driver. But I am sure that I am north of it. If you know what I mean.
The Tundra is one fine TV.

Sent from my iPod touch using Airstream Forums
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 05:57 PM   #346
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
I just finished towing my Tradewind about 200 miles to DC to see my daughter and camp 3 days at Greenbelt Park, about about 12 miles from DC. I normally get about 13.5 mpg, but on this trip I took some back roads with very little traffic, hence no stop and go to affect fuel economy. I got 16.1 mpg on the trip to DC and 14.5 mpg on the trip home for an average of 15.3 mpg. I drove gently with speeds between 50 and 60 mph. Now what surprised me was that for the 125 miles of solo driving with some stop and go and some heavy traffic I only got 11.9 mpg, less than my towing mileage. It is no wonder that I think my Tundra is a great TV! Just so you know- 2008 5.7L, SR-5, double cab, Leer cap, 6 speed, 2wd.

Dan
TouringDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 02:02 PM   #347
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
If you are relying on the computer for mileage figures. It can be off by quite a bit. Especially when in traffic.
The acceleration from each stop costs you mileage.
My '08 Tundra 5.7 Double Cab gets exceptional mileage. IMHO.
I have noticed as the fuel gage drops the MPG seems to go down slightly. Not sure how the fuel consumption is calculated. Does the computer use the fuel level gage as an input? Does it use the throttle positioning sensor to determine the amount of fuel at a moment in time? Does it know when the truck is in gear? Thus only do the calculation when moving? Obviously the odometer is in play. So as tires wear they get somewhat smaller.
The condition of the air filter can also affect MPG.
So many factors in play.

Old 11-20-2014, 02:29 PM   #348
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
Note: Toyotas count fuel injector pulses to estimate the amount of fuel used; and this derived amount is used with the odometer reading to calculate the mpg displayed on the dash. Variations in injector volume between vehicles result in slight differences in fuel economy displayed, versus actual mileage.
Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 04:36 PM   #349
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
Payload

The below photos show my GVWR and load labels from my 2010 2wd Double Cab Tundra with 6 1/2' bed.

I notice the GAWR for the front is 3900lbs with the front tires at 30psi and 4100 for the rear with the tires at 33psi. My tires, Michelin 255/70x18 can be inflated to 44psi with max load of something like 2164lbs per tire. If you add the front GAWR of the rear and front then it equals to 8000lbs. My question is if your tires can handle the weight then as long as you don't exceed the GAWR for each axle is it possible with a WDH to keep the GAWRs with parameters yet still get more payload than the yellow sticker. I haven't weighed my Tundra yet so I'm assuming the unladened weight of my truck must be within 500 to 800lbs of each axle. My labeled payload is 1465 and my GVWR is 6900 so that must mean my truck weighs 5435lbs.

When looking at the definitions of the HD Payload package of Ford F150s it seems the only thing that is changed is the shock absorbers and tires to 245/75x17 LT tires. They don't mention changes to springs or axles parts to support the increased weight.

I've got my heavy 2008 Classic on a Equalizer WDH and with 5 washers I have 37" from ground to fender over each tire.

Can anyone post their load labels from a 4x4 Double Cab 5.7L Tundra or post the GAWR and payload numbers.

Kelvin
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Toyota Load Labels.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	334.2 KB
ID:	227241   Click image for larger version

Name:	Toyota Load Labels (1).jpg
Views:	86
Size:	235.7 KB
ID:	227242  

Old 11-23-2014, 06:42 PM   #350
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
I have an '08 Tundra, same model as yours. The truck with a full fuel tank weighs 5,460 pounds.
I don't think you can use a WD hitch to increase the load carrying in capacity of your truck.

Old 11-24-2014, 09:18 AM   #351
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
Just wondering what the load figures are on a 4x4 Double Cab. I'm thinking the payload is even less on a 4x4 DC SR5. The higher trim levels are probably even less.

Kelvin
Old 11-24-2014, 03:16 PM   #352
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
You are correct. If you have the owners manual on your Tundra. All models and capacities are listed.

Old 11-24-2014, 04:36 PM   #353
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
I see on the Ford description of the HD payload package they add heavy duty springs and shocks and LT tires.
What if you added upgraded shocks, air bags and LT tires on a Tundra could you safely add payload? This wouldn't be sanctioned by the manufacturer of course but no where do I see HD packages modifying the axle or wheel bearings. As long as the GAWR of each axle is not exceeded why wouldn't this work?
Old 11-24-2014, 05:51 PM   #354

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJRitchie View Post
I see on the Ford description of the HD payload package they add heavy duty springs and shocks and LT tires.
What if you added upgraded shocks, air bags and LT tires on a Tundra could you safely add payload? This wouldn't be sanctioned by the manufacturer of course but no where do I see HD packages modifying the axle or wheel bearings. As long as the GAWR of each axle is not exceeded why wouldn't this work?
On the '09-'14 Fords, the HD Payload axle is also distinct from the standard-load axles (in addition to the other stuff you listed.) It's a bigger ring gear and with 7-lug hubs, limited-slip instead of e-locker. The 7-lug hubs come with wheels specific to the package and E-rated tires.

On the '15+ it's not yet clear if it's a different axle. The ring gear is the same, and it's a 6-lug E-locker. I don't know if the different frame and lighter body on the '15 gives them enough headroom to use the same axle for the big payload, or if some components are upgraded internally but it's the same size.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 01:43 PM   #355
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
A WD hitch does not increase payload. It redistributes tongue weight so that roughly 1/3 goes to the truck front axle, 1/3 to the truck rear axle and 1/34 to the trailer axle(s). It reduces the weight against the payload. Find out your tongue wt., add a few hundred pounds because the ratings are probably wrong, take 2/3 of that total and subtract that from payload. Then subtract yourself and other passengers and see what is left. Figure out what you take with you in the truck and weight it. See how it comes out, then see what you don't need and start on a diet.

You can add springs or do other suspension modifications, but other things need to be considered—can the drive shaft, brakes, differentials and transmission handle the extra weight? The Tundra looks pretty beefy underneath and I would think some components can handle a lot more weight, but I don't really know. It looks like a 5/8 ton rather than a 1/2 ton. Some things may have been designed for a 3/4 ton Tundra that was never produced. However, payload, which varies considerably from model to model and with different options (running boards, tonneau, topper, etc., all are subtracted from weight if they are not standard with the particular model), is what the manufacturer says. I think Toyota has been pretty honest with their weight ratings, not so sure about other companies.

Gene

The Airstream is sold; a 2016 Nash 24M replaced it.
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 02:57 PM   #356
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
I've weighed my tongue weight on a Sherline scale and I'm between 1100 and 1200lbs so if the 1/3 rule applies I'm 800lbs on the Tundra. Between my wife and me that is 350 lbs (I make the majoriy of that weight). That leaves 295lbs of payload but I have added running boards and a tonneau cover that weighs probably 50 to 70lbs so I'm closer to 150lbs payload. I then carry in the bed a few folding lawn chairs, a small BBQ, a couple of plastic containers with my leveling blocks, awning patio mat, 50qt cooler etc. My yellow load sticker shows 1445lbs. I've seen Tundra pull so much more over the last couple of years including 5th wheels. I guess they are all over GVWR. I'm hoping Toyota over engineers and post lower GVWR for liability purposes.

I looked at a new Ford F150 4x4 with Max Tow Pkg (not HD Payload Pkg) and it only had 1765lbs payload so not much more considering it will be $13k more than what I spent on my preowned 2010 Tundra. Maybe I see what the 2015 F150s but I'm sure they will be priced sky high.

I don't want a 3/4ton pickup. Forget diesel at over a $1/gal and the Ford/GM gas engines don't seem better than the 5.7L and from what I've read thirstier.

The only solution seems is dump my heavy hitch weight Classic 25FB and get a 23FB.

Kelvin
Old 12-01-2014, 04:36 PM   #357
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Go put your rig across the scale three times. Once WD tensioned, second slackened, and third truck only. Full fuel and gear for camping + pax in truck. Full water and propane in trailer plus usual supplies (or approximate with sand bags). Get real numbers. Guesstimates wind up meaning spending more with no guarantee of improvement.

FAWR and RAWR are what matter. If all else is to your liking and the lashup can be made good then there is no reason on this end of things to change truck or trailer.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 04:55 PM   #358
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Kelvin, we have a tonneau and running boards too and I think they weigh at least 150 lbs. together. My payload is higher, so I suspect you have the crew cab. Perhaps you can remove the rear seats for travel. Seats weigh a lot more than you may think. I looked at that for ours, but don't remember why I didn't—maybe it looked hard to do. I did do that to increase space on a long trip in a 4Runner years ago and Toyota did not make it easy. Some of the items you put in the truck bed could go in to the trailer too.

I think 'mover is right since you are close to or above payload—get it weighed.

Gene

The Airstream is sold; a 2016 Nash 24M replaced it.
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 09:16 AM   #359
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
Gene, what is your payload sticker show?

I have a double cab 2wd SR5. Maybe the 4x4 have more payload. There is more room in the Tundra DC than the equivalent from Ford or GM and is one of the reasons I chose the Tundra. No doubt I'm at or slightly above payload even without weighing the truck. I haven't bothered to weigh my chairs, BBQ, folding table, plastic bins with various trailer accessories, and my ice chest with a couple of 6 packs of beer and ice that I put in the bed. I only take what I think I will need. Probably future purchases will include portable solar and/or 2000w generator plus a 2 gallon fuel container.

I estimate I've got about 6000 miles of towing since purchasing my AS including one long trip to Florida from DFW. At the time I was looking at tow vehicles I wasn't educated about payload and figured any 1/2 ton was good enough to pull an AS 25. The Tundra hasn't seemed to suffer. AT and coolant temperatures never budge despite the summer heat and the engine has enough power. The suspension doesn't seem to have bee affected. Its not riding lower or uneven. When the AS is connected I measure 37" from ground to fender lip on all 4 wheels.

I either have to replace my Tundra or get a smaller AS or an SOB. Even a new 2014 Ford F150 Supercrew, 157" WB, with HD Tow Pkg only has 1765lbs payload, only 300lbs more than my Tundra. To me its not worth spending that kinda money for 300lbs. I don't like F250s or GM 2500HD. Maybe the 2015 F150s will have more payload but I'm not sure I want to spend that type of money.

I'll try to get the Tundra weighed with us and all the goodies loaded. Its difficult for both of us to be away from the house for very long since we are caring for my elderly mother.

Kelvin
Old 12-05-2014, 02:31 PM   #360
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
Toyota Tundra as a Tow Vehicle

My poor old 2004 Nissan Titan has dragged my 31' Sovereign over 55000 miles over the past ten years with nary a whimper and no mechanical issues of note. It is a less capable vehicle than your Tundra (you have better brakes and a 6 speed transmission)

Why are you rushing off to make a change? You noted that you towed down to Florida and back and everything was nominal. Is the trailer and TV level? No sags? No "squishy" feeling? Starts and stops easily and controllably?

Your actual road experience is useful data. Consider it before you do anything drastic.

Mike
Dismissive cat
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
toyota tundra, tow vehicles