Old 08-30-2010, 03:04 PM   #225
Rivet Master

1964 19' Globetrotter
The Sea Ranch , California
Thanks Geen- we had to replace the tires at 12k, that is, twelve thousand miles. This is used for constant speed 45-50 mph on decent secondary highways only. In that time, we didn't tow. Now we have a set of Continentals that have improved ride and handling, but at 24k, they're more than half gone. The shake is a flex in the frame, the body and bed shake at different rates. Its something that our old Ranger did. I don't know if there is any kind of reinforcement added for TRD versions, or more likely, they beef up the front subframe for the V8.

Old 08-30-2010, 03:10 PM   #226
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
Our 2008 CrewMax rides like a limo compared to our old 1978, 3/4 ton Chevy pickup. We have fond memories of towing with Hal, but some nightmares, too. I don't think there is anyway I could get my wife to go back to anything that handled and rode like Hal, although it was pretty typical for most HD pickups. The long wheelbase on that old Chevy crewcab was great for towing, but boy was it hard to find a place wide enough to turn around, with or without our Airstream in tow.

As for tire wear, we have 33,000 on our OEM Rugged Trails, and they'll probably go another 10-20,000 miles. I think this may be because we keep them pumped up to 44 psi all the time. They are also wearing evenly, a surprise; however, I can't wait for them to wear out, so I can replace them with Michelins.

We have the TRD, too. I think the only difference was that this option added Bilstein shocks, and added the tow package standard (hitch receiver and wiring, HD radiator, transmission cooler, battery and a couple of other minor things).

There's lots of discussion threads on "bed bounce" on www.tundratalk.net, but I think it's the California (and other states) roads. Those old concrete stretches that build up bouncing harmonics at specific speeds, usually right at cruising speed.

Old 09-02-2010, 06:37 PM   #227
2 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
redmond , Oregon
well I "pulled the trigger" no reference to violence here! Picked up a 2010 crewmax tundra. After reading the many pros and cons and glowing praise from tundra owners it seemed like the way to go. Only toww with wife and she only weighs 120 so won't stress the total load . We replaced a land cruiser and will only load up the tundra hauling folk with us non towing. feel pretty good about the deal.
Old 09-02-2010, 11:36 PM   #228

2000 25' Safari
Santa Fe , New Mexico
Rashton, I hope you are as happy with your Tundra as I am with mine. I have a 2008 with the towing package and without the TRD stuff, which IMHO makes for a rough ride. (I was lucky to find it, but I had checked the dealer stock on line before I went and knew they had one.) I pull a 25' Safari at about 6000lb and can go down the interstate at 75 easily if I want to burn the gasoline to do it. I would not hesitate to pull anything up to the 10,000 lb limit, balancing the load to keep the tongue weight within specs.

The government just got more strict about how towing capacity is rated, and lots of trucks were downgraded (especially the smaller ones), but the Tundra stayed right where it was. I think that speaks well for it as a tow vehicle design. Also, on the mechanical geek end of things, the brakes, drivetrain and rear end are massive. The rear end is 10" and has more like a 3/4 ton or even 1 ton ring gear (some dealers have a little showroom display featuring this stuff). The big Nissan, for example, has a 7"+/- rear end in it, not remotely in the same league, even though the engine is about the same size.

With regard to tires, the Michelins that came with mine still have most of the tread on them after 19,000 miles, but I only tow on vacation. I have also had good luck with Yokohamas on some other trucks.

Cheers!
Old 09-03-2010, 01:06 AM   #229
2 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
redmond , Oregon
the tundra was being used by the dealership owner and he put 295/70/17 tires on it. they are toyos which I have used in the past so we'll see how they last. We are leaving on a 2+week trip to yellowstone area next week so will test this badboy out!
Old 09-03-2010, 05:34 AM   #230
4 Rivet Member

2003 30' Classic
Stratford , Prince Edward Island
Send a message via Yahoo to macofpei Send a message via Skype™ to macofpei
Welcome to the CrewMax family. I have a 2010 loaded and I have towed my 32' Excella and also my 30' Classic without any problems what so ever. You will find that you will hardly know the trailer is behind you (except for wider turns and gas consumption). I put my Black Beauty in D and let the computer deal with the shifting, etc.
WBCCI #4782
"Southern Belle"
'03 Classic 30'
'10 Toyota CrewMax
macofpei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 09:41 AM   #231
2 Rivet Member

2008 27' International CCD FB
Minnetonka , Minnesota
We're on our second year with a 2008 Tundra crewmax limited pulling a 2008 27FB. So far no problems whatsoever. Many times I almost forget its back there on the right kind of roads. We use the equalizer. The ride has been suv like which was the reason we got the tundra over the Ford. Were on 20"wheels and Ive read wed probably do better with a smaller wheel but will think about that when its time to get new rubber.
Old 09-04-2010, 01:43 PM   #232
2 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
redmond , Oregon
I have an equalizer hitch with a 2 inch drop what are you using drop wise with the tundra?
Old 12-22-2010, 08:40 PM   #233
SRW
TEXAS66

Georgetown , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryC View Post
I just bought a 2010 Tundra Double Cab w/the 5.7, 2 W/D.

Towed yesterday my 2010, 20ft. Flying Cloud. The ride is pretty stiff on concrete roads (California freeways ugh!) The sales people talked me into the TRD package (a truck they had on the lot, better price).

The TRD comes with the off-road-tuned suspension, tow package (increases Max Tow capacity to 10,600 lbs. 1,745 payload capacity as opposed to Max Tow capacity of 8,600 lbs., 1,745 payload). Maybe I didn't need the TRD kit. It sure rides stiff, you know you're in a big truck! I don't know if I like it yet or not!

Keep that in mind if you're looking for a new Tundra!

Side note: This truck ride is stiff when not towing as well. I rode in a friends 2010 D/C, 4.6 4-W/D, before I bought this one and I liked the ride. Hoping the TRD will soften up a bit, I've only got 500 miles on mine.

TerryC.
I am sure you know that the towing capacities of most trucks has been recently downrated to meet new international standards.

For example, the 4x2, 2007 CrewMax Limited (the model I own) was down rated from 10,000 lb. to 9300, and a 4x2 Dbl. Cab 5.7 ltr. is now 10,100 compared to the 10,600 lb. it was rated previously.
Old 12-22-2010, 10:58 PM   #234
Rivet Master

2005 22' Safari
Hyde Park Place , Ohio
The year after my F150, they dropped the rating of my tow package from 9,900 to 9,100 lbs. Interestingly, with 600 lb tongue weight, the front axle was only unloaded around 80 lbs, and simply carrying a passenger restored that weight.

I suspect that half of this new industry standard is upselling larger trucks, and the other half is liability avoidance. That said, I would not want to tow without a WD hitch were one was specified, even if only marginally so, because it provides insurance companies with an out, and anyone you injure a valid claim against you.

PS: Toyota Tundras and Titans are awesome.
Old 12-23-2010, 01:06 AM   #235
2 Rivet Member

2016 25' Flying Cloud
2010 20' Flying Cloud
Los Gatos , California
Back in August I was complaining about the jerky ride "Bed Bounce" on my 2010 DoubleCab Tundra 5.7l w/TRD Offroad package. I had 500 miles on the truck then.
In the meantime on the "Tundra Solutions.Com" forum I found a thread on "Bed Bounce". Toyota has finally recognized the jittery ride as a complaint amongst customers. Toyota has a TSB i.e. "Technical Service Bulletin" out to correct the problem "TSB-027-10" which instructs the dealers to replace the rear cab "Isolator Bushings" with different ones. I took my pickup to the dealer and they installed the new bushings. I have to say the ride is greatly improved!
This is one nice aspect of owning a Toyota product, they listen to their customers. My good buddy has a Dodge truck and he complained several times about the "bone jarring ride". He told me the dealer replied "you bought a heavy duty truck didn't you? NoHelp, Thanks Dodge! Now we see the new Dodges are coming out with coil springs as opposed to leafs.
I would urge anyone thinking about buying a Tundra pickup, peruse the Toyota Solutions.com website.
Apart from ride, I now have 5000 miles on the truck, it pulls our 2010-20' Flying Cloud with ease! I tow a 60 mph pretty steady and get 13mpg, Around town and freeway driving 15-17mpg.
Another item, the AS literature states a 640lb tongue weight, I weighed the tongue on a public scale and found I had a 750lb tongue weight with the trailer loaded.

TerryC
Old 12-23-2010, 09:41 AM   #236
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Just about only time I have experienced "bed bounce" is in California in places where they have concrete roads. The expansion joints seem to resonate with the Tundra suspension. I have also noticed it on a concrete section of I-70 east of Denver. Fortunately, concrete isn't used much for roads and when it is, the joints aren't usually that bad.

Gene
Old 12-23-2010, 09:10 PM   #237
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
Bed bounce isn't really a Tundra problem so much as a roadway problem. Before we got our Tundra in 2008, our Chevy pickup's ride was just as bad on some stretches of I-10 approaching LA. It's a matter of the length between the dips and the wheel base of a vehicle setting up low frequency harmonic vibrations at certain speeds. If you speed up or slow down a little, it's a little less violent. Unfortunately, concrete is very durable, which just means that those roads will be bad for a really long time.

See more discussions on bed bounce on www.tundratalk.net
Old 12-23-2010, 09:31 PM   #238
Rivet Master

2005 22' Safari
Hyde Park Place , Ohio
If it is a road problem and not a truck problem, all trucks should be similarly affected. They're not.

YouTube - Ford F150 vs Chevy vs Toyota - Bed Bounce

The F150 behaves better because it has a fully boxed frame with hydroformed front rails to form a closed section. Rail cross members use a through-rail weld. The large 'wide footprint' brackets for suspension, body and powertrain and the use of hydraulic engine mounts and the fully welded frame is nine times stiffer in torsion than the Tundra.

There is a kit for the Tundra that largely solves the bed bounce issue, but it doesn't stop the frame twisting longitudinally.

I think the test is very contrived and there are almost no places where real world conditions should create this damage, so I don't see it as a problem for that generation of the Tundra. The next gen Tundra will have a much stiffer frame, and I believe they'll be lengthening the wheelbase by moving the rear axle back another 4 or 5".

The Tundra is an excellent truck for the generation of design tech that it represents.

Tags
toyota tundra, tow vehicles