Old 08-27-2010, 11:31 AM   #211
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
. . just as the gross VEHICLE weight rating is more important than the weight maximum of either axle; as axle maximums add up to more than GVWR. As 2Air indicates, the best hitch rigging has respected the small pieces (axle scale readings) against the large pieces (GCWR & GVWR).

IMO, an "empty" trailer has both full water and propane, etc.

Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 08:35 AM   #212
2 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
west plains , Missouri
We have a 25' FB and a 2007 Tundra 5.7 gas..and the advantage of not being technically conversant...we just go (and go and go). Last year 15,000 sm, mostly in the mountains..using a leveler hitch, full propane, and 1/4 tank fresh water. As the AS is designed to do, and does this well! rjack

Old 08-28-2010, 09:44 AM   #213
1 Rivet Member

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Round Hill , Virginia
tundra as tv for 25 fb flying clu

we tow a 2010 25fb flying cloud with a doublecab 5.7 l tundra, it works great, use a reese wd antisway hitch setup, drive up to 70 mph with plenty of power to spare, I think dry weight of our trailer is about 1000 less than yours, at 5600lbs.

I like to tow with a full fresh water tank, since tank sits over axles the trailer feels a bit more "grounded" while towing. I find the standard mirrors that come with tow package are fine for towing

we got ave. of 11.5 mpg on our 2000 mile trip thru vermont and adirondacks a few weeks ago

chu
Old 08-28-2010, 09:46 AM   #214
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
rjack,

If you were technically conversant, you would know that depending on model your 2nd generation Tundra with the biggest V-8 offered, is equipped to tow between 8500 and over 10,000 pounds. You would also know fully loaded your Safari maxes out at 7300 #'s GVWR. So given the combo you have way more than enough capacity to tow your Special Edition. You are not even close to the edge of capacity.

However you are traveling in bliss and you don't know that!

So I say to you, happy trails!

>>>>>>>>>>>>Action
Old 08-28-2010, 12:40 PM   #215
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
No doubt in our minds the 2nd generation Tundra is a very good tow vehicle, but lately we have an issue with finish. Around the grill is a "chrome" part. I have noticed it is pitting badly, something I have not seen on previous Toyotas. About 2 weeks ago I was washing the truck and when the water hit this, it tore. It's a shiny plastic covering and now has a more than one inch gash in it plus a large bubble. An internet search shows this has happened before, though I can't tell how often. A letter has gone to Toyota North America's president about this.

The paint does seem to scratch easier though Toyota claims it to be somewhat self healing. The interior finish doesn't seem to be holding up as well as previous Toyotas either. And the seats aren't comfortable—we have put cushions on them.

Much has been written about how Toyota has cheapened its brand in pursuit of more profit and concentration on dominating the world market. While the mechanical guts of the truck remain strong and there have been many improvements in that area compared to the 1st generation Tundras, it isn't the same company it was 10 years ago. Since they have been burnt lately with multiple recalls, Toyota may regain its previous reliability. With GM stripped of many financial liabilities and bad executives, they are poised to challenge Toyota. This competition should be good for consumers.

Gene

Photo isn't all too good because of reflections, and some of the specks on the "chrome" are pits and some are raindrops that showed up as I took the picture.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010005.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	314.7 KB
ID:	109521  
Old 08-28-2010, 04:57 PM   #216
2 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
redmond , Oregon
I have read this whole thread. I am thinking about a tundra for new tow veh. we have a safari fb 27. looking at the airstream spec table I see the 25fb is tongue 837 7300 gross the 27 is tongue 791 gross 7600. the common opinios seems to be 25 ok 27 no I don't see too much difference in these trailers . there are two of us no dogs and we don't haul much in the bed. we now have a chev.3/4 diesel and my wife hates it!
Old 08-28-2010, 05:44 PM   #217
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
rash',

The tongue weights that Airstream gives change from time to time, even in the same year or are different in different places (brochures and website), so you only use them as a guess. Adding to it will be propane and spare tire. The best way to know the tongue wt. is to weigh it. The Owners' Manual tells you how with a bathroom scale.

If I recall correctly, in '08 they gave the tongue wt. of a 25' Safari FB as about 100 lbs. less, so who really knows until they weigh 'em?

Having towed the 25' Safari FB for almost 3 years with the Tundra, I am confident it could easily tow the 27'. I didn't believe that in 2007 or probably 2008, but experience tells me the Tundra is a solid tow vehicle with plenty of power to spare and adequate payload. It does suck enormous amounts of gas and if you can sedate your wife for a couple of years, hopefully mileage will get better with the new regs.

Watch out for the fake "chrome" however. Airstream has fake chrome too.

Gene
Old 08-28-2010, 06:41 PM   #218
3 Rivet Member

2004 30' Classic
Hillsborough , New Jersey
tundra 5.7 l

I have a 5.7 l 2007 Tundra. We tow a 30 foot classic and just came back from a 6000 mile trip from New Jersey to Colorado and back. I have over 32000 miles on it mostly towing the 30 footer and feel it tows the AS very well. Went up over 12000 foot passes with no problem. Used 4 wheel drive and downshifted often going down those mountains.

I just learned, though, that I can't change my own trans fluid. The dealer has to do it because they need a special tool!! There is not even a dip stick to check on the color or level of the fluid!!! Since we use the Tundra generally to pull the trailer and we put a lot of miles on it I want to know that the fluid is good. I had them change it and all the other fluids that need to be changed at 30000 miles. This is my second Tundra and have been pleased with both of them.
Old 08-28-2010, 10:05 PM   #219
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
rjack

I am sure that you are no where near the GCWR of 16,000 lbs, but I would weigh your rig at a scale to see how close you are to the GVWR of the truck and the GAWR of the rear axle. That is the only way to tell how much margin you have between your actual weights and the weight ratings of your truck and rear axle.

Gene

I have been plesantly surprised at the fuel economy towing with my 08 5.7L Tundra. I get about 13 towing and 18 naked on the road. Not bad considering the weight and massive size of the truck and the power available when needed.
Sorry about your chrome grille finish going south.

Dan
Old 08-29-2010, 02:18 PM   #220
2 Rivet Member

2016 25' Flying Cloud
2010 20' Flying Cloud
Los Gatos , California
I just bought a 2010 Tundra Double Cab w/the 5.7, 2 W/D.

Towed yesterday my 2010, 20ft. Flying Cloud. The ride is pretty stiff on concrete roads (California freeways ugh!) The sales people talked me into the TRD package (a truck they had on the lot, better price).

The TRD comes with the off-road-tuned suspension, tow package (increases Max Tow capacity to 10,600 lbs. 1,745 payload capacity as opposed to Max Tow capacity of 8,600 lbs., 1,745 payload). Maybe I didn't need the TRD kit. It sure rides stiff, you know you're in a big truck! I don't know if I like it yet or not!

Keep that in mind if you're looking for a new Tundra!

Side note: This truck ride is stiff when not towing as well. I rode in a friends 2010 D/C, 4.6 4-W/D, before I bought this one and I liked the ride. Hoping the TRD will soften up a bit, I've only got 500 miles on mine.

TerryC.
Old 08-29-2010, 02:43 PM   #221
Rivet Master

1964 19' Globetrotter
The Sea Ranch , California
We have a 2008 base Tundra V6 extra cab- 4 doors but not the huge one- and use it tow our Globetrotter. The Tundra is rated for 5k, and the GT is 2900 or so dry. The Tundra has been fine so far towing the small trailer on our hilly coast roads.
Old 08-29-2010, 09:15 PM   #222
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
People have very different opinions about how stiff or soft a truck rides. Some people say the Tundra feels "numb" and the ride is fairly soft. Others, such as Terry, disagree.

I think the 1st generation Tundra had a stiffer ride than the 2nd generation. I also think the newer Tundras handle better than the 1st gen.

I don't find the 2nd gen. Tundra ride to be "stiff". It is a truck and has a different suspension than a car. It has to to carry the load expected of a full size pickup. We feel the ride is pretty plush for a truck.

Concrete roads are especially nasty when towing a trailer—blame the road, not the truck. Towing amplifies bad roads. Four axles instead of two make for more bumps felt.

Gene
Old 08-29-2010, 09:58 PM   #223
Rivet Master

1964 19' Globetrotter
The Sea Ranch , California
We have the 2nd gen Tundra and a Ridgeline. The Ridgeline handles and rides hands down better- the Tundra has uncontrolled body flex and shudder. I set up the Tundra to tow rather than the Ridgeline because the Tundra was new and the Ridgeline had 65k. The Tundra was purchased to be used by our workers and the Ridgeline is used as a work car and family car. Contrary to what a lot of people think, the Ridgeline has a ladder frame as well as being a unitized body. It wouldn't work for a really big trailer, but I wish I had bought another Ridgeline instead of the Tundra. AND the Tundra eats tires.
Old 08-30-2010, 01:26 PM   #224
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Globie64 View Post
the Tundra has uncontrolled body flex and shudder.

AND the Tundra eats tires.
Globie', I've read about shaky Tundras, but have not experienced it except on some concrete highways. You have a V6 double cab. We have a 5.7 L V8 double cab with 4WD and TRD package. The problems you describe may be particular to your version. The TRD package comes with better shocks.

As for tires, once I got rid of the OEM Goodrich tires which did wear and rode poorly, the Michelins have worn well and the ride is better.

Geen

Tags
toyota tundra, tow vehicles