Old 11-12-2013, 07:50 PM   #113
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
DKB', I suspect towing mileage would be about the same with the small V8 and a supercharger and significantly higher when the truck is used as a car—which is often, or it is only carry a few hundred pounds of cargo. As for whether more or the same fuel is used, I resort to the explanation that it is magic only Japanese engineers know about. For all I know they are splitting atoms in that mass of metal.

Gene

Old 11-13-2013, 04:16 PM   #114
2 Rivet Member

1966 30' Sovereign
san diego , California
Hey all, looks like from previous posts that a 06 tundra 4.7 to pull a 66 sovereign is not a good idea? I've a chance to get one for a good deal, but I want to be safe. Please weigh in.

Old 11-13-2013, 04:32 PM   #115
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Spokane , Washington
I am towing with an '08 Tundra with the 5.7 and it hauls my 25FB without trouble. I used to tow a 21 foot white box trailer that weighed about 2500 pounds less with my 4Runner with the 4.7 V8. I am not sure that this is exactly the same engine that the older model Tundras ran but I think it was.

It was a great engine and combination for the smaller trailer. Even then, I did notice that, while it pulled the hills, it had to work a little harder than I had expected. I liked it but did not like the thought of any real long trips through big mountain passes.

We got the new Tundra and pulled the old white box and the difference was huge. We also got better mileage with the 5.7 than with the 4.7. I traded up to my 25FB and noticed that I got the same mileage as before even though the Airstream was 6 feet longer and over a ton heavier.

If I had the 4.7, I would use it. If I was looking I would lean toward the 5.7. JMHO
Old 11-13-2013, 05:13 PM   #116
4 Rivet Member

1969 18' Caravel
Northwest , Missouri
I have been in the market for a Tundra as well. What I have noticed in my hunt is that the 5.7 trucks sell pretty quick, whereas the smaller V8's will sit on the lots for quite some time. So if you go for the smaller engine be prepared to like it a lot, since it may be yours for a good long time for better or worse.
Old 11-13-2013, 05:36 PM   #117
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Tundra "bump"
anyone know what the mysterious "bump" is? While I'm sitting still at a red light there is sometimes a "bump" like someone hit me in the rear, but there is no one there. I also wondered if it was hung up in 2nd gear sitting still and all of a sudden it decides to shift into 1st. The people at the Toyota place said it was the driveshaft/u-joints releasing tension. I don't really believe that. There is a girl at work that describes a similar circumstance with a 2009 Ford Expedetion. She was told by the folks at the Ford place that it was the torque converter and would cost $1,200.00 to fix. I wonder if the torque converter is bad in my Tundra...
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 06:56 PM   #118
4 Rivet Member

2009 27' FB International
LA LA Land... , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by m.hony View Post
Tundra "bump"
anyone know what the mysterious "bump" is? While I'm sitting still at a red light there is sometimes a "bump" like someone hit me in the rear, but there is no one there. I also wondered if it was hung up in 2nd gear sitting still and all of a sudden it decides to shift into 1st. The people at the Toyota place said it was the driveshaft/u-joints releasing tension. I don't really believe that. There is a girl at work that describes a similar circumstance with a 2009 Ford Expedetion. She was told by the folks at the Ford place that it was the torque converter and would cost $1,200.00 to fix. I wonder if the torque converter is bad in my Tundra...
I get that as well, but not all the time. Usually a few seconds after I come to a stop. (2011 Tundra 5.7L tow package)
Old 11-13-2013, 08:31 PM   #119
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
So- maybe the people at the Toyota place are being straight with me?
That's just weird!
No matter how many times it happens I am always looking back to see if someone hit me from the rear.
...and it only does it sometimes/intermittently.
TAC #MS-10
Airforums #70955
Old 11-13-2013, 08:51 PM   #120
2 Rivet Member

2017 25' International
Joliet , Illinois
m.honey

Check out tundratalk.net and do a search for driveshaft problem. Lots of info there.

Try the link below

The official Drive Shaft Problem thread - TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum
Old 11-13-2013, 08:59 PM   #121
3 Rivet Member

2004 28' Classic
Fresno , California
My 08 5.7 crewmax does the same but not all the time. When it occurs my initial thought is what is wrong. I feel better now. I bought it used with 45,000 so I am not to sure of the maintenance history.
Old 11-14-2013, 05:25 AM   #122
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
I bought mine used with 8,000 miles. It has 32,000 miles now. I don't think I noticed the "bump" until maybe 20,000 miles.
TAC #MS-10
Airforums #70955
Old 11-14-2013, 05:38 AM   #123
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
I don't look for much help from the dealer. They deny the existence of a service bulletin about the wheel bearings, although a forum member told me the bulletin number...
The original mirrors were wobbly like a bobble head doll. After replacing 4 mirrors, Toyota kicked me to the curb and would not pay for any more mirrors. The truck originally came with towing mirrors, but the original purchaser wanted sport mirrors- so Toyota would only give me sport mirrors because that is what was on the truck when I bought it. That is the dumbest thing I have ever heard. Why wouldn't they put one set of towing mirrors- putting the truck back as it was when built- rather than replacing the sport mirrors 4 times and then telling me they wouldn't replace them anymore?
Toyota also denied the existence of the wobbly mirror problem. Out of curiosity I wandered up to a random Tundra in a parking lot to see if the mirrors were loose- yep, they were.
I ended up buying aftermarket towing mirrors off the 'net for $115 each- they were $265 from Toyota- they don't wobble.
Another time our rinky-dink little Toyota dealer (it has moved into a new building now) had me unload firewood off the truck because they said it would be too heavy for their lift-
The Nissan place ain't no better, but that's another story for another day.
TAC #MS-10
Airforums #70955
Old 11-14-2013, 07:46 AM   #124
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by m.hony View Post
Tundra "bump"
This is relatively common with rear drive trucks. Usually it is the slip joint between the trans output shaft and the front of the driveshaft. (on 2 piece shafts, the slip joint may be between the shaft halves)

Normally the slip joint is lubricated by transmission fluid, but there have been issues of slip/stick due to dis-similar metals between the shaft and trans shaft.

When you accelerate, brake or compress the rear suspension, the shaft must be able to lengthen and shorten, thus the slip joint. When you stop, particularly with heavy loads (trailer), the rear axle rotates slightly. because, when you come to a stop, the brakes are applied, the axle cannot rotate back to a relaxed position. As soon as you release or lighten the pressure on the pedal, the axle rotates and the slip joint pops.

Irritating, but harmless. My van does it and there is a bulletin covering a new material front yoke, but it isn't worth the expense and trouble for me.

HOWEVER, a worn u-joint can sound and feel similar. If you hear this at other times than I have described, have the driveline checked out.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 10:26 AM   #125
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
I haven't had the bump in 80,000 miles. I grease the zerks every 5,000 miles including the one on the slip joint. Maybe more grease would help.

I did not experience the famed "bed bounce" some complain about—until I drove on a southern Cal. concrete highway where the joints in the rod seem to be at just the right interval to resonate with the suspension. There is also a section of I-70 west of Denver with the same problem. Otherwise, no bed bounce.

My mirrors don't wobble either.

But I have had the fake chrome around the grille replaced twice because the thin almost paper-like shiny covering has a tendency to tear. It also gets a lot of pits in it, weakened it. I am very careful not to use a pressure washer on that section.

Toyotas used to be bullet proof. We've had Toyotas with no issues at all for tens of thousands of miles, but reliability has slipped since the middle of the last decade. Still, they are great vehicles, just not as great as they once were. And they're still more reliable than most anything else.

Gene
Old 11-14-2013, 10:51 AM   #126
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
A lot of vehicles don't have zerks on the slip joint (single piece driveshafts). It depends whether they are lubed by trans fluid or not.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote