Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-13-2013, 07:59 PM   #121
3 Rivet Member

2004 28' Classic
Fresno , California
My 08 5.7 crewmax does the same but not all the time. When it occurs my initial thought is what is wrong. I feel better now. I bought it used with 45,000 so I am not to sure of the maintenance history.
dougandlori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 04:25 AM   #122
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
I bought mine used with 8,000 miles. It has 32,000 miles now. I don't think I noticed the "bump" until maybe 20,000 miles.
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 04:38 AM   #123
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
I don't look for much help from the dealer. They deny the existence of a service bulletin about the wheel bearings, although a forum member told me the bulletin number...
The original mirrors were wobbly like a bobble head doll. After replacing 4 mirrors, Toyota kicked me to the curb and would not pay for any more mirrors. The truck originally came with towing mirrors, but the original purchaser wanted sport mirrors- so Toyota would only give me sport mirrors because that is what was on the truck when I bought it. That is the dumbest thing I have ever heard. Why wouldn't they put one set of towing mirrors- putting the truck back as it was when built- rather than replacing the sport mirrors 4 times and then telling me they wouldn't replace them anymore?
Toyota also denied the existence of the wobbly mirror problem. Out of curiosity I wandered up to a random Tundra in a parking lot to see if the mirrors were loose- yep, they were.
I ended up buying aftermarket towing mirrors off the 'net for $115 each- they were $265 from Toyota- they don't wobble.
Another time our rinky-dink little Toyota dealer (it has moved into a new building now) had me unload firewood off the truck because they said it would be too heavy for their lift-
The Nissan place ain't no better, but that's another story for another day.
TAC #MS-10
Airforums #70955
Old 11-14-2013, 06:46 AM   #124
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by m.hony View Post
Tundra "bump"
anyone know what the mysterious "bump" is? While I'm sitting still at a red light there is sometimes a "bump" like someone hit me in the rear, but there is no one there. I also wondered if it was hung up in 2nd gear sitting still and all of a sudden it decides to shift into 1st. The people at the Toyota place said it was the driveshaft/u-joints releasing tension. I don't really believe that. There is a girl at work that describes a similar circumstance with a 2009 Ford Expedetion. She was told by the folks at the Ford place that it was the torque converter and would cost $1,200.00 to fix. I wonder if the torque converter is bad in my Tundra...
This is relatively common with rear drive trucks. Usually it is the slip joint between the trans output shaft and the front of the driveshaft. (on 2 piece shafts, the slip joint may be between the shaft halves)

Normally the slip joint is lubricated by transmission fluid, but there have been issues of slip/stick due to dis-similar metals between the shaft and trans shaft.

When you accelerate, brake or compress the rear suspension, the shaft must be able to lengthen and shorten, thus the slip joint. When you stop, particularly with heavy loads (trailer), the rear axle rotates slightly. because, when you come to a stop, the brakes are applied, the axle cannot rotate back to a relaxed position. As soon as you release or lighten the pressure on the pedal, the axle rotates and the slip joint pops.

Irritating, but harmless. My van does it and there is a bulletin covering a new material front yoke, but it isn't worth the expense and trouble for me.

HOWEVER, a worn u-joint can sound and feel similar. If you hear this at other times than I have described, have the driveline checked out.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 09:26 AM   #125
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
I haven't had the bump in 80,000 miles. I grease the zerks every 5,000 miles including the one on the slip joint. Maybe more grease would help.

I did not experience the famed "bed bounce" some complain about—until I drove on a southern Cal. concrete highway where the joints in the rod seem to be at just the right interval to resonate with the suspension. There is also a section of I-70 west of Denver with the same problem. Otherwise, no bed bounce.

My mirrors don't wobble either.

But I have had the fake chrome around the grille replaced twice because the thin almost paper-like shiny covering has a tendency to tear. It also gets a lot of pits in it, weakened it. I am very careful not to use a pressure washer on that section.

Toyotas used to be bullet proof. We've had Toyotas with no issues at all for tens of thousands of miles, but reliability has slipped since the middle of the last decade. Still, they are great vehicles, just not as great as they once were. And they're still more reliable than most anything else.

Gene

The Airstream is sold; a 2016 Nash 24M replaced it.
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 09:51 AM   #126
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
A lot of vehicles don't have zerks on the slip joint (single piece driveshafts). It depends whether they are lubed by trans fluid or not.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 12:39 PM   #127
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Yesterday the timing of the Tundra bump was a little different- it would go "bump" after I had been at the light and then started to go- I wonder if there is any significance- or is it just coincedental?
TAC #MS-10
Airforums #70955
Old 11-19-2013, 08:29 PM   #128
2 Rivet Member

1966 30' Sovereign
san diego , California
Settled on a 01 suburban 2500.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20131119_192858.png
Views:	112
Size:	334.5 KB
ID:	200329  
66calstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 04:34 AM   #129
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
The wobbly mirrors may be a consequence of folding them continually.
My point is this- why make a mirror that has the ability to fold if the plastic junk wears out and becomes loose real quick?
I have to fold them to get it into my narrow 1961 carport and still be able to walk around it and get in the back door.
I guess cars were smaller in 1961- or the home builders were cutting costs by making small carports-
Maybe if you never fold them they never get loose- but if you fold them very often they WILL get loose in a short period of time.
I guess I expected more from Toyota and a $30,000 vehicle. I don't think I am unrealistic or have great expectations- I just want things to work as they are supposed to- especially from a company with such a reputation for quality. I'm thinking- where did that reputation for quality come from? I ain't seein' it. I but the best based on what I learn or have heard or read and a still get burned. It may be that I had to work so long and hard for the money that I just expected/wanted better than what I got. That happens in all areas- audio/visual, computers, appliances, bicycles, lawn equipment, the Airstream itself- I seldom get the quality/longevity that I think I should from anything.
TAC #MS-10
Airforums #70955
Old 11-20-2013, 09:26 AM   #130
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
My mirrors are not loose and I have been folding them in for 80,000 miles. Some people may have bought aftermarket mirrors that aren't as good as the OEM mirrors. Later models sometimes came with a tow package that did not include tow mirrors (pretty strange, but fathoming Toyota's "thinking" is not easy). Those people have sometimes bought aftermarket mirrors or Toyota mirrors.

Gene

Old 11-20-2013, 10:24 AM   #131
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
The mirrors were replaced 4 times by Toyota with Toyota parts- the "sport" mirrors- not the "towing" mirrors.
The truck came with towing mirrors and the original owner had the dealer to replace them with sport mirrors.
The dealer would not put it back to as it came from the factory- only how it was equipped when I bought it- makes no sense to me. Just another way to not pay- the factory warranty is basically not worth the paper it is printed on- much less the $1,200 10 year 100,000 mile warranty i wasted money buying-
Every issue I bring up they act all ignorant like it has never been a problem- like the mirrors, wheel bearings, transmission "bump"- although I can tell them a service bulletin number from someone on the Forums...
I bought towing mirrors aftermarket ($115 each instead of $265 each and they look the same) and they have not become loose.
My logic and thought process on this is that the sport mirrors have 1 arm and the towing mirrors have 2 arms- maybe it takes the 2 arms longer to become worn and loose.
This warranty problem is probably not limited to Toyota. It is just the nature of the beast. The will try anything in the world to keep from paying. I have experienced it with Ford, Chevy, Harley, and Nissan as well- and not only cars- home appliances as well...
TAC #MS-10
Airforums #70955
Old 11-20-2013, 02:47 PM   #132
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
If the dealer won't help you, ask that the next time the factory service representative is in town, have him (or her) check on this and whether they will help you. That has worked for me. Or find another dealer.

But you bought a used truck with "sport" mirrors and that's what you have, so they won't replace the original mirrors because you didn't buy the truck originally. They might as a courtesy do something so you are more likely to buy another Toyota.

Gene

Old 11-20-2013, 03:13 PM   #133
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
I did that- after waiting for him for days or weeks- he kicked me to the curb.
So- I called Toyota HQ in CA and they basically stood behind the dealer and the factory rep.
So- we won't be buying any more Toyota's, but I will keep this one forever- it is a 2007 with 32,000 miles- we'll try a Honda Odyssey van next.
As an aside- years after purchasing the $1,200 10 year 100,000 mile extended I noticed on the window sticker that it already had a 10 year 1000,000 mile extended warranty- I just gave them fools $1,200 more to pocket...
I learned some expensive lessons-
1. NEVER buy an extended warranty
2. NEVER finance more than 5 years- 5 1/2 year financing doesn't make the note less- they get 1 more time to compound interest annually-
I don't buy cars often enough to outwit the pros, but I will be better prepared next time- if there ever is a next time.
I remember when you talked to one person from beginning to end.
that talking to several people is a way to distract or disorient the purchaser-
Talk to a salesman-
Talk to a finance guy-
Talk to a parts and service guy about add-ons-
Talk to a guy whose job is to sell you an extended warranty-
I got there at 2 and left at 6 after they had me wore down, whooped down, and beat down-
What a terrible day, but the day I bought my Airstream was the worst day of my life-
TAC #MS-10
Airforums #70955
Old 11-21-2013, 12:32 PM   #134
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
You're right—never buy an extended warranty. But the original extended warranty may not have been transferable. If it were transferable, the dealer should have known that and selling you another one may have been misrepresentation or fraud.

I hate dealers that give me the runaround and don't go back there. Before buying a vehicle, get a lot of sleep, get hopped up on caffeine, bring Consumer Reports (to show you are an aware consumer), print outs from Edmunds and Kelly's Blue Book, a note pad, a calculator, an accountant, a lawyer, your grandmother and dress like the old rich (jeans, work shirt, cheap shoes—the nouveau riche always dress up). You can always walk away and regain your strength—one time I told a dealer I was going outside for 10 minutes and he'd better do better when I came back—that was worth $2,000. Never take a first offer and probably not the second. Always demand to talk to the sales manager, the salesman can do nothing.

You could go to law school and take courses in negotiating although what you save on buying things probably won't equal the tuition.

Do it this way and you can buy another Toyota—some of their dealers are arrogant, but they make good trucks. If I never bought the same brand when someone treated me badly, I'd never buy anything again—there are a lot of jerks around. We have recently bought our 7th Toyota and they are very reliable, so the occasional jerk has to be ignored since we want vehicles that give us little or no trouble. Toyota headquarters is pretty useless—it is the factory representatives that make deals. And sometimes it works to write a letter to the North American boss for Toyota, sometimes not. I've had mixed results that way.

You can pay off the note early or refinance somewhere else.

Gene

Old 09-13-2014, 03:36 AM   #135
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
The truck is paid for now.
I am having trouble with the driver 's door power window. Called the dealer to see if my extended warranty would cover it. The guy couldn't find a record of my warranty, meaning it is not a Toyota Extra Care warranty, but a third party warranty (even though I bought it from the Toyota dealership).
TAC #MS-10
Airforums #70955
Old 09-13-2014, 08:46 AM   #136
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Holly Lake Ranch , Texas
I'd go to the dealership and ask to see the GM and hold their feet to the fire

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Goal15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 10:24 AM   #137
Full Time Adventurer

2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by m.hony View Post
The truck is paid for now.
I am having trouble with the driver 's door power window. Called the dealer to see if my extended warranty would cover it. The guy couldn't find a record of my warranty, meaning it is not a Toyota Extra Care warranty, but a third party warranty (even though I bought it from the Toyota dealership).
Man that's the worst. Most of those 3rd party warranties are completely worthless. Heck I keep getting advertisements in the mail for extended warranties on my 2003 Trailblazer.

Hope you get it sorted out.
Old 09-13-2014, 02:16 PM   #138
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Yeah, I'll get it sorted-
When I reach in my back pocket-
I wish I had the $1,200 back those crooks stole from me-
Never again...
TAC #MS-10
Airforums #70955
Old 09-13-2014, 03:05 PM   #139
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Holly Lake Ranch , Texas
Guess it depends on the dealership. I got a bolt through the sidewall of one of my Tundra tires and while it wasn't covered by the tire coverage, when they found out I had the extended warranty they replaced the tire

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Goal15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 06:42 PM   #140
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
We will see when we get to a dealership.
It is time for an oil change.
I guess I should get the paperwork out of the glove box and see what I've got. Maybe I should call the dealer I bought it from...
TAC #MS-10
Airforums #70955