Old 08-27-2008, 09:51 PM   #29
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Kent , Ohio
I notice that everyone mostly is towing 23 or 25 footers with those japanese tin cans Why not use a mini van? Not a 31 footer

Old 08-27-2008, 10:34 PM   #30

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
I don't think that I would want to tow a late model 31' Airstream with any truck that has only 5 lug nuts. That's not exactly reassuring.

Brian

WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with HAHA
2005 Suburban 2500 Quadrasteer (Olivia) & 2018 Silverado 2500 (Lillian)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 11:43 PM   #31
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD FB
Gahanna , Ohio
31 footer with a 1/2 ton truck? Your CB handle will be "White Knuckle."

I could see getting a seasonal spot somewhere and towing it gingerly to your seasonal campsite twice a year at or below the speed limit, but not traveling across country.

I'm just not sold on the Toy trucks from Japan. I think they market to weekend mulch haulers and for that they work just fine. I have yet to see an old Toyota or Nissan truck that isn't rusted all to he** and gone or in decent shape. They must go to the scrap pile early.

I'd have to say the depreciation and upkeep on the Japanese truck when put into service as a heavy duty tow vehicle would be quite steep.

Towing a 31 footer- buy a 3/4 ton diesel and drive off into the sunset.

yakman
Old 08-28-2008, 07:05 AM   #32
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
I have nothing against Toyota trucks, well, nothing other than they are UGLY! But, that is a personal opinion. The fact, however, is they are a 1/2 ton truck and with luck and good maintenance they will do what any other 1/2 ton truck will do. Will they do what an American 1/2 ton truck will do? Ask yourself this question.....would you rather buy a 1/2 ton truck from a company that has been building them for about 5 or so years, or a company that has been building them for about 70 years?
Old 08-28-2008, 08:23 AM   #33
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
I have nothing against Toyota trucks, well, nothing other than they are UGLY! But, that is a personal opinion. The fact, however, is they are a 1/2 ton truck and with luck and good maintenance they will do what any other 1/2 ton truck will do. Will they do what an American 1/2 ton truck will do? Ask yourself this question.....would you rather buy a 1/2 ton truck from a company that has been building them for about 5 or so years, or a company that has been building them for about 70 years?

Toyota made a 1 ton in the 80's so it's a little more than 5 yrs. And when it comes to reliability I'm sorry they can't be beat....

And just because someone has been making trucks for 70 years doesn't make them better.....

American trucks and cars in the 80's and 90's look like antiques compared to foreign cars and trucks... My 88' chevy caviler and my dads 84 chevy truck looked like crap and ran like crap.

I had a 79' honda accord that looked better and had twice the instrument panel and drove 300,000 miles before i sold it off. We had an 82 toyota pickup that my younger brother still has... No I wouldn't tow a big trailer with it.

Sure a 3/4 ton will tow more weight than a 1/2 ton.... and tow it better, why would you argue about that.... But some of us have to use our vehicles for other than just towing... I figure, stay within the weight you can tow, take it easy (don't drive 80 mph or like an idiot) and you should be fine...

Chevy, Ford, and Dodge have made strides in reliability, but I'm sorry, My Toyota's have out lasted and given less trouble than any US vehicle I have owned..
I will stick with my Toyota's till my trailer dictates a weight change in my TV...

May you have at least one sunny day, and a soft chair to sit in..

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
purman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 08:27 AM   #34
3 Rivet Member

1971 25' Caravanner
scappoose , Oregon
At risk of repeating myself, from another thread, I will say; The import brand "trucks", are short wheelbase, lightweight, low payload vehicles.
They have no business towing large heavy trailers on high speed, crowded highways.
Old 08-28-2008, 09:29 AM   #35
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
Toyota made a 1 ton in the 80's so it's a little more than 5 yrs. And when it comes to reliability I'm sorry they can't be beat....
For the US market they didn't make a "consumer" pickup.

Quote:
And just because someone has been making trucks for 70 years doesn't make them better.....
It does give them more experience engineering and designing a better product.

Quote:
American trucks and cars in the 80's and 90's look like antiques compared to foreign cars and trucks...
Looks??? A personal opinion, but I prefer the appearance of the US trucks, and by the way, I've been driving US trucks (GM) since the early '70's, each going in excess of 150,000 miles, pulling trailers, and have had no failures.

And in addition, the net profit from the sale of each of those trucks went to an AMERICAN company, not a Japaneese company. I am an American, and whenever I can, I support American companies. My vehicles are one of the few things where I can still do that.
Old 08-28-2008, 09:38 AM   #36

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
I don't especially care where what is made or what brand it is. Five lug nuts does not does not make the Tundra look heavy duty. It makes it look like a cartoon truck.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with HAHA
2005 Suburban 2500 Quadrasteer (Olivia) & 2018 Silverado 2500 (Lillian)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 10:23 AM   #37
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
I'm not sure what this argument is about.... The Tundra is not a 3/4 ton !! I think people know that..

It is rated to tow 10,000 lb I would tow 8,000 with it.. If you don't want to don't.....

If someone says it's a heavy duty they are wrong..... But it will tow..... I have towed close to 10,000 with my Sequoia for short distances no problem. A long trip, no I wouldn't..

Toyota make great trucks and SUV's.. they also tow really well... All you complaining about them,, HAVE YOU EVER TOWED WITH ONE.... I have and with american ones too.... I have a 75 3/4 ton dodge with a 440 in it... My Sequoia tows better than my truck...

As for an American company... Were to you think the parts are made.. ( O yes the money stays here. bla bla bla...

John Deer an American Company... I have one of their tractors... Jap motor, and the only thing made in America about it is the paint.....

The reliability of Toyota's is far better than an american made truck, suv, or car...

Less problems and less time in the shop... I have a 4 runner with 135,000 miles and all I have ever done is change oil and brakes and other fluids and timing built when required... It's an 01' Friends have an 04' Suburban Been in the shop for this and that 6 times. Has 30,000 miles on it...

Sure some USA trucks run for a long time... My neighbor has a chevy blazer with 400,000 miles on the engine... But he has replaced the transmission 3 times and everything else at least once...

We had an 01' blazer that I got rid of at 45,000 miles after the 4 wheel drive was fixed 3 times, rear end replaced, front end went too, A/C came on randomly.. took 9 months and 3 chevy deals to find the vacuum leak... Wiper motor replaced, and power window motor replaced....

the tundra will tow it.... Not as well as a 3/4 ton.....

And tell me the last time the five lug nuts sheared of the back of a Tundra while towing???

All nice suggestions but it will tow it.... and tow it reasonably well... Yes a 3/4 ton truck may handle the side wind better with the longer wheel base...

It's all about what your comfortable with... But comments about send pictures of the wreck, and inappropriate.. I have seen one tons in the ditch with also...

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
Old 08-28-2008, 11:25 AM   #38
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Kent , Ohio
I will argue the point of 135000 miles. For me that is just broke in. My crown Vic was donated at 365000 miles. and is still going in medina ohio. Relatives e 150 van 650000 he sold it. There is a million nile chevy on e bay right now for sale. Up in detroit they intervued a guy with a million mile cargo van (ford) he says rutenne maintanence is his secret, still running it. Chevy has commercial on TV showing trucks owners and mileage. There are a hole lot more of those stories. When my brother was on bussiness in Japan he said there big thing is cadilacs or buicks. Even they recognize American quality..... A 31 footer should be towed by a 3/4 ton truck, that is safe and responsible. I choose My Super Duty, My buddy chose a 2500 hd. Lets not forget about the frame rust issues of the toyota brand. I think there was a recall even???
Old 08-28-2008, 11:31 AM   #39
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Kent , Ohio
This is better than the Pits at the dragstrip. Ford ,Chevy and Dodge guys. But right before the helmets go on and you get strapped in we all say Be safe. and look at the guy next to you and give and waite for the thumbs up before moveing to the line.
Old 08-28-2008, 01:00 PM   #40
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustang View Post
I will argue the point of 135000 miles. For me that is just broke in. My crown Vic was donated at 365000 miles. and is still going in medina ohio. Relatives e 150 van 650000 he sold it. There is a million nile chevy on e bay right now for sale. Up in detroit they intervued a guy with a million mile cargo van (ford) he says rutenne maintanence is his secret, still running it. Chevy has commercial on TV showing trucks owners and mileage. There are a hole lot more of those stories. When my brother was on bussiness in Japan he said there big thing is cadilacs or buicks. Even they recognize American quality..... A 31 footer should be towed by a 3/4 ton truck, that is safe and responsible. I choose My Super Duty, My buddy chose a 2500 hd. Lets not forget about the frame rust issues of the toyota brand. I think there was a recall even???

I gave an example of Chevy my neighbor had... But you replace a lot of stuff on those cars and trucks... Don't lie.. and who knows what's been done to those cars on ebay... All the reports rate Toyota and Honda as the most long term reliable trucks and cars... You don't want one or think they are ugly thats your view and welcome to it.... Don't buy one....

Look We can go back on forth all day, American vehicles have had plenty of recalls so lets not get started there. and there are plenty of threads here about them...

The point is The Tundra and Sequoia will tow 10,000 Lbs It will tow it safely. Just like the F-150 will tow it limit safely. If you lot don't believe it, thats up to you... I would say the American motor company have covered up a lot more Safety flaws than the Japanese have.

(Gemlin, Exploding gas tanks in trucks>>> do I need to say more)

If you don't feel comfatable towing 8,ooo - 9,000 lbs with it thats your opion "not fact" and you are welcome to it....

But don't say it is unsafe to do without any facts... and that shite youtube video is crap.. Do it with the whole Truck and you will not get anywhere near the same results... There was no axel or shocks, nothing...

I am not arguing that a 3/4 ton can't tow more than a 1/2 ton or that it is not a stronger of coarse it is. But if a 1/2 ton is rated to 10,000 lbs and you tow 8 would you notice the difference between the two..... Some might, most wouldn't.....

Frame strength Bla Bla Bla,,, Have you heard of a Tundra frame braking Lug bolts shearing off??? NO>

Do what you feel safe doing but don't Trash something you havn't driven or towed with... I have had plenty of American cars Still have a 90 jeep Cherokee that I have hardly done anything to... Had a GMC Javelin that broke down every other day..

Prove it won't tow 10,000 lb without falling apart, and throw you in the ditch like you all think!!, Until then you can spout off all you want, but it just an opinion and not FACT....

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
Old 08-28-2008, 01:04 PM   #41
2 Rivet Member

1989 25' Excella
1998 36' Land Yacht Widebody
Kimball , Minnesota
Get a Peterbuilt

Hey I bought me one of thoose derned Toyoter Tundras and it is NO GOOD! When I hitched it up the first time the weight from the tongue of my trailer caused the front end to lift right up off the ground - you can see it on U Tube! It really happened! So it knew it was a little light so I thought "I know, I'll duct tape some seement blocks to the frount bumber!" Well, I thought, this'll help in the safety department, too, for when I run into somthin' I'll have some good sturdy stuff up there between me an' whatever I happen to smack into! It'll help potect them there squirrels running around in their little wheels, I got me the one with four squirrels for more power fer towing. Well them there blocks really looked good upfront there, really helped the looks of the truck if ya know what I mean. Of course I stuck 'em together with vulkem to make it look like a real professional job! But then I tried to hitch it up to the old Airstream again and that is when my troubles really started! First thing happened is all four tires popped! Turned out they were Michelins, from FRANCE!!!! I was really mad as heck, but I figurd I had better get me some good ol' American made tires, anybody here on the forum know why it is they say "China" on them? Anyway, got me some Goodyears and thought my troubles were over. Hitched up and everything looked real good with the pretty "custom" look frount end and my new US tires. Then the worst happened. I loaded my toothbrush and two pairs of cleam BVDs for my first trip --- the added weight caused the frame to bust right in the middle of the dern Toyoter! Holy crap! Well enough of my troubles, let me just say that I drug that piece of you know what into the middle of the yard so the Missus could use it for a flower bed! Of course I won't have to look at it much longer becuz it is pracically completely rusted to nothin' after jest two weeks!
The missus told me I needed to get me a new Peterbuilt and that is want I'm a goin' to do!
Old 08-28-2008, 01:15 PM   #42
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Kent , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by purman View Post
I gave an example of Chevy my neighbor had... But you replace a lot of stuff on those cars and trucks... Don't lie.. and who knows what's been done to those cars on ebay... All the reports rate Toyota and Honda as the most long term reliable trucks and cars... You don't want one or think they are ugly thats your view and welcome to it.... Don't buy one....

Look We can go back on forth all day, American vehicles have had plenty of recalls so lets not get started there. and there are plenty of threads here about them...

The point is The Tundra and Sequoia will tow 10,000 Lbs It will tow it safely. Just like the F-150 will tow it limit safely. If you lot don't believe it, thats up to you... I would say the American motor company have covered up a lot more Safety flaws than the Japanese have.

(Gemlin, Exploding gas tanks in trucks>>> do I need to say more)

If you don't feel comfatable towing 8,ooo - 9,000 lbs with it thats your opion "not fact" and you are welcome to it....

But don't say it is unsafe to do without any facts... and that shite youtube video is crap.. Do it with the whole Truck and you will not get anywhere near the same results... There was no axel or shocks, nothing...

I am not arguing that a 3/4 ton can't tow more than a 1/2 ton or that it is not a stronger of coarse it is. But if a 1/2 ton is rated to 10,000 lbs and you tow 8 would you notice the difference between the two..... Some might, most wouldn't.....

Frame strength Bla Bla Bla,,, Have you heard of a Tundra frame braking Lug bolts shearing off??? NO>

Do what you feel safe doing but don't Trash something you havn't driven or towed with... I have had plenty of American cars Still have a 90 jeep Cherokee that I have hardly done anything to... Had a GMC Javelin that broke down every other day..

Prove it won't tow 10,000 lb without falling apart, and throw you in the ditch like you all think!!, Until then you can spout off all you want, but it just an opinion and not FACT....
My vehicles are fact, whine about it but dont say "Lie", I can back it!
My crown Vic had original Drive line components Engine Tranny Rear end.
The toyota dealer admitted they werent going to chain ther tundra to my Super Duty. My son laughed at them. and the news today speakes of Toyota not being able to enter the american truck market like they thought. The innitial quality isnt what they expected. My home Page rueter news. You can call someone a dirt bag with out saying scum bag... "Dont say lie" Some of us are men here.