Old 07-27-2008, 08:30 PM   #15
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by purman View Post
You tube is not the most reliable place to get info... the tests are always misleading... when are you gonna pull that much weight straight down...
I think the videos stand for themselves. This was no doctored typical You Tube BS, this was the real thing. I took it from You Tube because it is the only place I could find it again. This was posted on a few websites. I would not be so quick to discount it. Putting about 900lbs on the back of a Tundra (rough hitch weight of a 31' Classic), clearly after seeing the frame flex seems unreasonable to me, but hey, that's just me.

This was a third party that did the testing. I agree with the 25' comments. This truck is a 1/2 ton truck, and yes, it's not just the Nissan dealers who would sell their mothers to sell you a truck, the whole auto industry is that way at $4 or more per gallon right now.

Quote:

I also pulled that 10,000 lbs without trailer brakes and had no problem stopping.. Pulled it from 5000 ft up to 6800 ft and back down.
..and not to sound like I'm slinging stuff your way or be argumentative, but I am going to call you out on this one. Do you really expect anyone to take you seriously on safety and vehicular ability when you tow 10k lbs without any trailer brakes in the mountains or elevations (which I'm not sure, but perhaps it may be illegal on the Interstate or even local roads)? I could care less what they show in Tundra TV ads. The truck could have 30" disc brakes all around and be able to stop on a dime and give you a nickel as change, towing that much weight without trailer brakes is just a plain unwise thing to do, regardless of what truck you have.

Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 11:12 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
Yes, i would agree, I wouldn't do this normally but my truck was in the shop, Just pointing out that it did it ok...

I have towed a lot of stuff over the years not just camping trailers....

In the 60's they towed stuff with cars, Yes trailers didn't weigh as much, and in europe they don't have to many 3/4 tons... and they get by just fine... spent time over there. "seen Volvo's towing 25' trials " I wouldn't do that, but they seem to get by just fine... Just don't exceed the tongue weight... put on a equalizing hitch and it should be fine...

Wheel base length is important, you don't have that, and you will end up upside down on the side of the road... seen a few grand Cherokees that way..

Look at the test again. no wheels no shocks or axels all this helps distribute weight. Its not a perfect test... Do it with a real truck and I bet it would be different ,ford or toyota.

And who is gonna drive their truck, with or without a trailer, over bumps that big at that speed.."well maybe a 16 yr old" but no reasonable person..

Not saying the tundra or ford is the perfect towing machine but not everyone can get a one ton dually... and my Sequoia pulls my 28' just fine for me..

But I do hear you concern, don't exceed the tongue weight.

Old 07-28-2008, 12:43 AM   #17
Rivet Master

Corpus Christi , Texas
I would love to see the results of an F350 or F550 doing the frame twist/flex tests on You Tube. Or maybe a Dodge 250 Dually! Maybe a Kenworth! Could they do as well as the F150? Would they have the "stuff" to pull a 25' Airstream or would they be dangerous!
Old 07-28-2008, 06:02 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
I Just Don't Get It!

I just don't get how the Toyota fans keep trying to imply that the Toyota products are something special....able to leep tall buildings in a single bound....faster than a speeding bullit....stronger than a locomotive.

People, the fact is the Toyota Tundra is a 1/2 ton pickup, period. Just because it is a Toyota, does not make it any more than a 1/2 ton pickup. It will do what a 1/2 ton pickup will do, in spite of being as ugly as some 18 wheeler tractors. But, the ugly part is just my "opinion".
Old 07-28-2008, 08:22 AM   #19
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
Now I may be wrong on this, and if I am please correct me... (I am always up for learning something) But isn't the 1/2 and 3/4 ton Chev, Fords and Dodge the same frame? My friend was told by the dealer that the only difference between his 3/4 ton and 1/2 ton suburban was axle,suppression, and gear ratio. Could this be true for the rest???????
Old 07-28-2008, 11:13 AM   #20
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Quote:
Now I may be wrong on this, and if I am please correct me... (I am always up for learning something) But isn't the 1/2 and 3/4 ton Chev, Fords and Dodge the same frame? My friend was told by the dealer that the only difference between his 3/4 ton and 1/2 ton suburban was axle,suppression, and gear ratio. Could this be true for the rest???????
in terms of pickups 3/4 ton upgrades the following

Frame (HD models)
Axle hubs
Engine
Transmission
Suspension
Don't hold me to this, but brakes as well I believe are slightly upgraded as well.

Could be more, but these are the biggies in my opinion, and why to me, IMHO it starts to make sense when getting into the heavier Airstreams going the true 3/4 ton route

As for cars back in the day towing lighter, yet similarly sized Airstreams, you have to recall that cars back in the 60s and 70s were in essence 1/2 ton trucks with large frames, monster engines, etc. Back in 1996 in an effort to maximize profits, GM dumped all body on frame cars. I have two copies of these. Excellent tow vehicles up to a certain point.

On difference in Euro RVing and domestic RVing is that we Americans pack everything but the kitchen sink. I'm just as guilty. Maybe if we didn't have all the toys to bring we too could tow with better wheelbase smaller vehicles. I know my 25er loaded is pushing over 3 tons.
Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 10:39 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Boulder City , Nevada
2008 Tundra 4x4 TRD off road tow tested!

I am not trying to sell trucks or use some second hand information on MY experiences with my 2008 Tundra 5.7L 4x4. I want to add that I do not intentional put myself in situations that endanger myself, truck, trailer or two Blue Heelers. My experiences are from traveling in areas that individuals BELIEVE that an Airstream is not up to the task and avoid that travel. After numerous small alterations to factory Airstream parts, my 23 foot Safari will provide myself many years of out door adventure and dependability. One caveat: If the Airstream were an automobile, I would be dead by now...

I returned from a Rockdocking trip in Wyoming and Idaho this afternoon. I have not even figured the mileage driven on this last 2 1/2 week trip, but can add that at 11,125 miles, mostly towing a trailer across the Rockies on less than forgiving roads, trails and through small towns, nothing has broken down on my Tundra. (I wish I could say that about some Airstream components...) Some of the roads traveled are beyond description with the 23 foot Safari in tow. Much of the camping was done in 6500 to 9500 feet elevations.

Gas mileage by segment was in the 10 to 13 mpg, trailer in tow, full fresh water tank, at times 17 gallons of additional fresh water, provisions, two Blue Heelers, wife and ice chest. I am 100% satisfied with my new Tundra, 85% satisfied with the 2006 Safari Airstream and I still think the Goodyear 14" Marathon tires (that did not last one season) are a poor excuse for a trailer tire... My 14" Load Range C TowMax tires have given me NO problem to date and I do not know if I should be nervous about that fact or be expecting them all to fall off the rims in the near future.

Two great features with the 5.7L Tundra 4x4.

(1) The electronic manual shift transmission option is FANTASIC!
(2) The gas mileage and power is better than I expected at High Elevation towing.
Old 07-28-2008, 11:04 PM   #22

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Quote:
The Suburban 1500 and 2500 frames are NOT the same. I have both. They are actually quite different.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with HAHA
2005 Suburban 2500 Quadrasteer (Olivia) & 2018 Silverado 2500 (Lillian)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 02:46 AM   #23
AlaskaSafari

1997 25' Safari
Fairbanks , Alaska
Send a message via MSN to AlaskaSafari
We tow a 25' Airstream with our '07 Tundra 5.7 and are very happy with the performance. Pulling through the mountains between Fairbanks and Anchorage we averaged 14.3MPG on our last trip with plenty of power to spare. I could feel it working on some of the steeper grades, but it didn't miss a beat.

I haven't weighed our new AS yet but the fellow we bought it from said it weighs in at just a hair over 6,000lbs loaded. We looked at a 30' but that was more trailer than I wanted to pull... and realistically more than we needed. It will pull up to the 10,300lb mark but the payload is light (we have a CM). The double cabs have a speck more payload though.

We pulled a 31' Forrest River to Anchorage for a friend that weighs in at 9,300lbs which put us just over our rating (considering payload in the truck - people, fuel, hitch, stuff) and while it pulled it, it's waaaay more than I want to pull on a regular basis. I would either look at a shorter AS model or a bigger TV. That's just my .02 worth though.

You must live in the present, launch yourself on every wave, find your eternity in each moment... ~ Thoreau
AlaskaSafari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 12:02 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Kent , Ohio
I have a video put out at the Detroit Auto show, and cleveland auto show. I think that somebody should step up and recall all the tundras. I havent looked at Nissan but I went to the toyota dealer listened to there mumbo jumbo about a clearly inferior truck. When he was done I pointed out my brakes were bigger my towing capacity is more. ya your ride is smoother but who cares. So When he was done and he had that warm feeling in his belly that he sold me, I smiled and asked him to get his choice of trucks (Tundra) and lets chain um up. He said what?? got his manager and the manager told me that it would be to hard on his truck and wouldnt be part of any chaining um up. I laughed and so did a few starngers in the showroom. The Ford dealer wanted to do a comparison of trucks and asked for a demonstartion, I told the Ford dealer about my request and the Ford dealer, also asked the same of them. The reply was the same. Simply put, They have a hell of an advertisement dept, but its show time boys, and they were a "no show"
Old 08-27-2008, 02:07 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Bob,

We tow a Safari 25' with an '09 Tundra with the 5.7L engine. Despite what some people will write, it works fine, has plenty of power, stops very well and we have had zero problems with the truck, though not the trailer.

But, I wouldn't tow more than a 25' trailer with it unless it were a much older, lighter one. Classics are somewhat heavier than Safari's, so even if it were a Classic 25', I wouldn't do it. Some people do tow longer trailers with Tundras or Sequoias, but my choice is not to. I think there is also something you can't see or feel: if the truck is towing too much trailer, I think it will accelerate damage to the power train and suspension. It might feel good, but in a few years it might show up in repair bills.

I notice you have a new F250. Are you having problems with it and want to get rid of it? I also noticed you are two days younger than me, so listen to your elder.

Gene
Old 08-27-2008, 02:53 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
Roseville , California
Send a message via AIM to warbler5
Quote:
Originally Posted by rochar3 View Post
Need info on towing 31' with Tundra.
Let me know your experience.
Thanks
Bob
Bob, I wouldn't tow a 2003 31' Airstream with a 1/2 ton pickup, no matter who the manufacturer might be! Go with a 3/4 ton, long wheelbase vehicle....there are plenty of them out there right now to choose from.

Cheers

Jackson Rancheria, 10-12 Oct 2014
Pinnacles Nat'l Park, 20-22 Feb 2015
Casini Ranch, 10-12 Apr 2015

AIR #6287
TAC #CA-26
WBCCI #3933/4CU
Old 08-27-2008, 02:55 PM   #27
2 Rivet Member

2003 31' Classic
Valparaiso , Indiana
Tundra

O.K. Old Boy:
We had an 06 diesel super duty and 99 31' Classic. Late May we had a severe accident and totaled both units. The Ford Super Duty saved our lives because of it heft etc. However, I was toying with the idea of a Tundra to replace Ford. We bought a 03 31' classic and decided to go with a new 08 Diesel Super Duty. Does very well with new trailer. I feel more comfortable with the bigger truck especially what my wife and I just went through with the accident.
Anyway, that is my story and I am sticking by it.
Regards,
Bob

I can win any argument on any subject. People know this and steer away from me at parties. Often as a sign of their respect, they don't even invite me.
rochar3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 09:48 PM   #28
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Kent , Ohio
Toyota hahaah I gotta laugh. Id like to throw a hunk of steel off the side of a mountain chained to 1 and watch what really happens. ahhaah you guys are somethin else. Toyota geeeez