Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-20-2018, 02:03 PM   #81
4 Rivet Member

2019 22' Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by KK4YZ View Post
We’re not running the Daytona, we’re pulling trailers. 65 mph is plenty. Slowing to 50 on steep inclines is fine with me. Stay safe.
I’ve owned several Toyota’s and racked up lots of miles. They have all been trouble free. THATs the value. I’ve owned other brands and have been less than impressed.

Our 2015 Tundra Crewmax does a great job pulling our 23D and if it lives up to the reliability as my other Toyota’s, as I expect it to, it’ll be a winner.

Not sure what you mean I never mentioned speeding.

Here’s why I don’t like Toyota tundras

It takes 5-10 tools to change the oil, I guess the other poster can’t count because he listed 5-10 tools.

It’s an old design, like over a decade old

It’s not the safest design compared to the Ford F-150 on the small off set frontal crash test.

https://youtu.be/1BcYtskkzFo

The engine is antiquated v8 technology. All of this is my opinion and mine only. If you own a Toyota and it works for you that great. Different strokes for different folks.

In the end it’s your ride so be happy and buy what you like. I made my decision to buy a 2018 f150 supercrew 3.5 ecoboost 6.5 bed based on my research on safety and fuel economy.

I’ll add I’m partial to ford or Chevy growing up in Detroit. I probably went to college with some of the f150 engineers at Michigan.

Go blue
Kanusport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 03:32 PM   #82
Rivet Master

2007 27' International CCD FB
San Diego , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanusport View Post
Not sure what you mean I never mentioned speeding.

Here’s why I don’t like Toyota tundras

It takes 5-10 tools to change the oil, I guess the other poster can’t count because he listed 5-10 tools.

It’s an old design, like over a decade old

It’s not the safest design compared to the Ford F-150 on the small off set frontal crash test.

https://youtu.be/1BcYtskkzFo

The engine is antiquated v8 technology. All of this is my opinion and mine only. If you own a Toyota and it works for you that great. Different strokes for different folks.

In the end it’s your ride so be happy and buy what you like. I made my decision to buy a 2018 f150 supercrew 3.5 ecoboost 6.5 bed based on my research on safety and fuel economy.

I’ll add I’m partial to ford or Chevy growing up in Detroit. I probably went to college with some of the f150 engineers at Michigan.

Go blue
Indeed. Different strokes for different folks. As everything has its pros and cons, I'll relate my personal reasons why I would not choose a Ford or EB... As much as I like the EB for its technology.

Ford tends to lean way forward on technology. Being on the leading edge comes at a cost, which is a general impact to reliability. The old adage FORD - Fix Or Repair Daily comes from somewhere. Classically, Ford has been solidly mid-pack in reliability among brands. Not terrible. Not great. But definitely not Toyota reliable (or Lexus where I'm coming from).

EB - great motor in terms of power elasticity and efficiency. There are trades however. This motor makes great power, but there's been more than anecdotal comments on how it overheats on longer steeper climbs with a heavy load. Chalk it up to Ford undersizing the cooling for a highly stressed and boosted motor. Engine braking is okay at best. Luckily it has a 10-speed tranny, but because it's a smaller motor augmented by boost, it generally has less drag and the ability to create pumping losses to support engine braking. I already mentioned reliability, but what good is all that tech when it doesn't have solid durability for the "long haul".

To me, those 3 big issues are much more material than "tools" to change oil that I can still do in under 30 minutes. But I agree with you on the offset impacts. Toyota is a bit too conservative in updating a few of their models. In this, Ford gets credit for moving the competitive set along.
pteck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 03:44 PM   #83
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by reelfastgreg View Post
my Tundras, 15mpg best i ever got, towing 8mpg.

as i said, the Tundra is one of the worst towing vehicles i have ever owned, never again!!
Hmmm, sounds like you're fudging the facts.
Since I actually OWN a Tundra, put it in the "Tow/Haul" mode and always get 11.5 to 12 mpg.
I couldn't get 8 if I drove in 1st. all the way.
Not towing, I consistently get 17 highway.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 04:02 PM   #84
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Why won’t everyone just let the Tundra fans have their own conversation?

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 04:29 PM   #85
4 Rivet Member

1972 31' Excella 500
2017 30' Classic
Grapeview , Washington
Oboy are we having fun! I get the feeling we are all setting around the same camp fire drinking what ever and telling lies (stories).

All be well, safe travels, and the best of regards.

Oh and pteck the reason the big diesels have a narrower torque ban, its all they need to get the job done. They don't need 700 HP to get 1000 lbs. of torque..........
sbowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 04:35 PM   #86
Rivet Master

2018 27' International
Southeastern MI , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Morgan View Post
Because no one can just say they like their Toyota without taking shots at the other brands, telling stories about drunk people on the assembly line (“my buddy knew a guy once...) or talking about how their used $200 Maverick doesn’t compare to the $40,000 Toyota they bought when it fell apart, etc.

Tow Vehicle: 2020 F-350 6.7L Diesel
Countryboy59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 04:49 PM   #87
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Well, I can categorically state that I like my Toyota vehicles, because DW refuses to buy anything else for me to drive....

So far she has bought a Camry, 3 Toyota pickup trucks and two Priuses...and my son gifted me another small Toyota Pickup.

The overall fleet reliability is refreshing, compared to the fleet of Volvos we used to have...
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 05:03 PM   #88
Rivet Master

2007 27' International CCD FB
San Diego , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbowman View Post
Oh and pteck the reason the big diesels have a narrower torque ban, its all they need to get the job done. They don't need 700 HP to get 1000 lbs. of torque..........
Somewhat tongue and cheek...but you're right that there's no "need" for a wider torque band, to make stupendous HP. They do excellent work off the line and at pedestrian speeds which is all that is really needed. But it's also why it won't necessarily get to the top of the hill first... because they don't really have that much more hp to offset all that weight.

You don't have to take my word for it. Case study of F350 vs Tundra, each towing 7000lbs of AS.

F350 - 450hp, 8060 lb curb weight
17.91 lbs / hp unhitched, 7.6 sec 0-60
33.46 lbs / hp towing

Tundra - 381hp, 5335 lb curb weight
14.00 lbs / hp unhitched, 6.1 sec 0-60
32.38 lbs / hp towing

If you're astute, you'll note that as weight gets progressively heavier, the power to weight will skew towards the Ford, and it ultimately will be incrementally faster. Still not a bad showing for a little archaic Tundra that's much less costly in acquisition and maintenance. We're towing welterweight Airstreams after all, not bulldozers. You can do much worse than a Tundra after all, *cough* F150 diesel @ 46.5 lbs / hp towing *cough*
pteck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 05:19 PM   #89
DMT
4 Rivet Member

2011 27 FB International
East Coast , Newfoundland
I really liked my 09 F150 Platinum. Very comfortable as a daily driver and towing. Excellent technology and a great interior. My current 15 Tundra Limited pales in comparison on the comfort and tech end. The seats are harsh, the tech is mediocre and the engine is loud.

That being said I’m still working and don’t really have the time to deal with stuff going wrong, and several things did with my Ford. So much so it soured me and I went back to the Tundra. And I have to say it’s growing on me. Kind of like an old hound dog. Dependable, reliable, turn the key and go. No more to it than that. I’ll agree with the oil change comments - not sure what they were thinking on this one, or if they thought it through at all. But in 3-1/2 years it’s all I have ever had to do. Last time at the dealer was when I drove it off the lot. I think that says a lot
Old 11-20-2018, 05:20 PM   #90
jcl
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Vancouver , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbowman View Post
Only half the story.....the reasons big diesels have 18 (or more) speed transmissions is because they need them, in order to get the job done, given their narrow torque bands.

Recall that flywheel torque doesn't make the truck go, wheel torque/rim pull does. But we've had this conversation....
jcl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 05:51 PM   #91
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Countryboy59 View Post
Because no one can just say they like their Toyota without taking shots at the other brands, telling stories about drunk people on the assembly line (“my buddy knew a guy once...) or talking about how their used $200 Maverick doesn’t compare to the $40,000 Toyota they bought when it fell apart, etc.

Eh, so what.

I love my old Silverado which has proven very reliable and capable over a shotload of miles, but if people like their Tundras, and some of em even feel the need to run down other brand what is that to us?

We can just start a Ford, Chevy, or Dodge thread to run along beside the Tundra thread. We all know our own preferences are best anyhow.

(This post is all in good fun, so no one shoot me ok?) lol

Old 11-20-2018, 06:01 PM   #92
Rivet Master

Kensington , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMT View Post
I really liked my 09 F150 Platinum. Very comfortable as a daily driver and towing. Excellent technology and a great interior. My current 15 Tundra Limited pales in comparison on the comfort and tech end. The seats are harsh, the tech is mediocre and the engine is loud.

That being said I’m still working and don’t really have the time to deal with stuff going wrong, and several things did with my Ford. So much so it soured me and I went back to the Tundra. And I have to say it’s growing on me. Kind of like an old hound dog. Dependable, reliable, turn the key and go. No more to it than that. I’ll agree with the oil change comments - not sure what they were thinking on this one, or if they thought it through at all. But in 3-1/2 years it’s all I have ever had to do. Last time at the dealer was when I drove it off the lot. I think that says a lot
I'm going to install a Fumoto valve and drain tube (see link...don't worry it's safe). https://www.tundras.com/threads/2008...hecklist.7464/
Reading this thread is like asking if these jeans make me look fat.
Too tall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 06:58 PM   #93
Rivet Master

2018 27' International
Southeastern MI , Michigan
Quote:
Eh, so what.

I love my old Silverado which has proven very reliable and capable over a shotload of miles, but if people like their Tundras, and some of em even feel the need to run down other brand what is that to us?

We can just start a Ford, Chevy, or Dodge thread to run along beside the Tundra thread. We all know our own preferences are best anyhow.

It’s OK, hardly ever see a Toyota truck around here anyway and it usually has stupid rims, blacked out windows and a fart can exhaust. Usually stopped with a police car behind it. Funny, they don’t make a 3/4 ton after all these years.

Tow Vehicle: 2020 F-350 6.7L Diesel
Countryboy59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 07:59 PM   #94
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Spokane , Washington
Quote:
Quote:
Eh, so what.

... but if people like their Tundras, and some of em even feel the need to run down other brand what is that to us?

Uh, who was the first to run down a brand in this thread? That reelfast guy felt that he had to tell everyone how a Tundra was the worst TV ever....

I am usually a mild kind of guy and I also respect everyone else's choices. What I don't like is when a poster feels that it is his duty to rip into those who do not agree with them. You see this in discussions regarding weight distributing hitches, running with your fridge on and as always, your choice of Tow Vehicles.

Read the thread and see who threw the first punch. If you like your big diesel, then more power (pun not intended) to you. Believe me, we are all happy for you. If you have a gasser and like it to be a one ton dually, again, good on ya. And on and on it goes....Can't we just be friends?
aftermath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 08:39 PM   #95
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
2017 23' Flying Cloud
Hiawassee , Georgia
Quote:
I’ll refer you to the OP’s question....or don’t you recall what the thread is about?
KK4YZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 08:47 PM   #96
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
2017 23' Flying Cloud
Hiawassee , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Countryboy59 View Post
It’s OK, hardly ever see a Toyota truck around here anyway and it usually has stupid rims, blacked out windows and a fart can exhaust. Usually stopped with a police car behind it. Funny, they don’t make a 3/4 ton after all these years.
At least the tundra doesn’t have that stupid looking animal head for a logo. Almost looks satanic 😱
Old 11-20-2018, 11:46 PM   #97
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
In my older age, I have come to the conclusion that all in all (and for the most part) I don’t really give a flip what anyone thinks, says, or does, unless in doing so they impose themselves on me.

On this specific subject I now drive a Chevy 1/2 ton that I really like but I would drive a Ford or a Dodge or a Tundra 1/2 ton in front of my old Airstream connected together with a Hensley hitch.

If anyone here (or anywhere else) doesn’t like it i really don’t give a shot.

The thing is, I know my setup is just awesome for me, (it’s awesome in general too), and that makes me happy enough that I don’t need agreement from others to make me feel good about it.

Too many of the battles over the internet are just kinda silly.

Put another way, I don’t really care who badmouths my truck (or my choice in trucks) because I know it’s more than awesome for my needs and wants. There’s a kind of freedom in that.

Old 11-20-2018, 11:58 PM   #98
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Toyota Tundra

I’ve owned all kinds of trucks, a lot of em. Big, small, gas and diesel.

In all of that, right here and right now I own exactly the truck I want to own.

I think a lot of people on here feel the same. Lets all maybe learn to disagree about what is “best” while trying to respect those who make different choices.

I can and I will at times tell WHY I choose what I have now, while endeavoring to have a bit of respect for those who reach other conclusions.

My choice for an Airstream tow vehicle will always be a four door well powered half ton gasser because that’s what I want. I don’t really care what brand.

I can respect those who have different opinions on all that even though they’re dreadfully wrong. (Joke)

Old 11-21-2018, 06:26 AM   #99
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
2017 23' Flying Cloud
Hiawassee , Georgia
Quote:
I’ve owned all kinds of trucks, a lot of em. Big, small, gas and diesel.

In all of that, right here and right now I own exactly the truck I want to own.

I think a lot of people on here feel the same. Lets all maybe learn to disagree about what is “best” while trying to respect those who make different choices.

I can and I will at times tell WHY I choose what I have now, while endeavoring to have a bit of respect for those who reach other conclusions.

My choice for an Airstream tow vehicle will always be a four door well powered half ton gasser because that’s what I want. I don’t really care what brand.

I can respect those who have different opinions on all that even though they’re dreadfully wrong. (Joke)
Harummph! I don’t give a “shot” either. Some of my best friends drive rams, silverados and Fx50s. Anyone that takes this too seriously needs to get a life.
Sometimes I just can’t help joining the trash talk to see who gets riled up. My bad.

But recall this is all in response to the OP’s question about our experience with the Tundra for towing. I hope by now the OP sees that the VAST majority of those who own a Tundra for towing would recommend it. There will always be a legion of people “cough” (CB) “cough” that have no direct experience with the subject at hand that will chime in with all kinds of opinions.

To the OP: now that you have your answers, would you like to know what hitch system we recommend?😂😱😳💩
Old 11-21-2018, 07:55 AM   #100
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
A forum is a funny thing. Disagreements when they become too personal are kind of a poison, but when moderated down to civility by mandate they become stale and boring.

Disagreements are kind of good until they become toxic.