Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-21-2018, 08:22 AM   #101
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Morgan View Post
A forum is a funny thing. Disagreements when they become too personal are kind of a poison, but when moderated down to civility by mandate they become stale and boring.

Disagreements are kind of good until they become toxic.

I disagree toxically! [emoji3]

Here’s an interesting view on brand loyalty...

https://lifehacker.com/brand-loyalty...ers-1731199227

Besides - everyone knows a 27FB towed by a 3/4T diesel Silverado connected via ProPride is the ONLY setup worth having - which is why those 3 elements are the only ones made by manufacturers for the purpose of camping. That’s just science right there.

[emoji3]
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 08:48 AM   #102
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveSueMac View Post
I disagree toxically! [emoji3]

Here’s an interesting view on brand loyalty...

https://lifehacker.com/brand-loyalty...ers-1731199227

Besides - everyone knows a 27FB towed by a 3/4T diesel Silverado connected via ProPride is the ONLY setup worth having - which is why those 3 elements are the only ones made by manufacturers for the purpose of camping. That’s just science right there.

[emoji3]

Yeah, ok but what brand of tires and what PSI!
S/OS #001 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook. BMV-712. DEMCO 21K Lb Cast Iron coupler
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 08:55 AM   #103
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCinSC2 View Post
Yeah, ok but what brand of tires and what PSI!

[emoji3]

Wait - are tires important here? [emoji3]

Back to the Tundra love fest - I have no personal experience with it so the next 15 paragraphs will be of great value..... [emoji3]

(Actually - a friend tows his 2017 Globetrotter 27 with it and LOVES it).

Happy camping and happy thanksgiving everyone - and to those outside the US, have a great Thursday!
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 09:07 AM   #104
Rivet Master

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMT View Post
I really liked my 09 F150 Platinum. Very comfortable as a daily driver and towing. Excellent technology and a great interior. My current 15 Tundra Limited pales in comparison on the comfort and tech end. The seats are harsh, the tech is mediocre and the engine is loud.

That being said I’m still working and don’t really have the time to deal with stuff going wrong, and several things did with my Ford. So much so it soured me and I went back to the Tundra. And I have to say it’s growing on me. Kind of like an old hound dog. Dependable, reliable, turn the key and go. No more to it than that. I’ll agree with the oil change comments - not sure what they were thinking on this one, or if they thought it through at all. But in 3-1/2 years it’s all I have ever had to do. Last time at the dealer was when I drove it off the lot. I think that says a lot

As a former Tundra owner, I agree with this post. I absolutely loved my Tundra! I owned it for 50,000 miles and never did more than an oil change. It was NEVER in the shop for any repair the entire time I owned it. I then bought the Airstream (partly because I had a truck) and realized during our first trip (Utah) that it was not enough truck to adequately pull my 27’ AS with all the junk we take in the bed (primarily boondockers). We then bought a F-250 diesel. No comparison with regard to towing, but I do miss the reliability and simplicity of the Tundra. The bottom line is that there is no perfect truck that will excel at everything.
billrector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 08:41 PM   #105
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Toyota Tundra

A lot of what makes a perfect truck to me is when I turn the key and it starts, and when I am going down the road and it doesn’t stop.

That’s why I like my old Chevy, and that’s a lot why I think I would want a Toyota.

Add to this that I think Toyotas might well be the most American made truck in the market is a big reason why I’m thinking TOYOTA for my next truck.

That’s a big deal for me, I’m a red white and blue guy.

That’s a big deal for me...... I am a red white and blue man.

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 06:11 AM   #106
2020 Globetrotter 25 FBT

2020 25' Globetrotter
Wildwood , Missouri
Amen, it’s a truck. Now if somebody started badmouthing my bird dog..
Well said J Morgan.

Previous AS trailers: (04) 19’ Bambi, and (11) FC 23FB
GettinAway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 06:23 AM   #107
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
2017 23' Flying Cloud
Hiawassee , Georgia
Quote:

That’s a big deal for me, I’m a red white and blue guy.

That’s a big deal for me...... I am a red white and blue man.
In all seriousness it’s a big deal for me, too. It took me a long time to consider a Japanese brand. My Dad fought in the Pacific theater in WWII. For a long time I would never even look at a Japanese brand. But after a few inexcusable experiences with new cars, I decided I would look for the best bang for my buck from then on. I’m not independently wealthy and do not want to make expensive mistakes.
KK4YZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 11:18 AM   #108
2 Rivet Member

2018 22' Sport
North Lauderdale , Florida
2014 Tundra SR5 5.7

I easily tow a 2018 22FB
Lag323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 01:32 PM   #109
Rivet Master

2007 27' International CCD FB
San Diego , California
Fancy features, great power, gas efficiency, high tech elements... All awesome things until they leave you in a lurch. Or cost you a fortune to fix.

I don't mind that in a vehicle I buy and use for vanity.

I won't tolerate that for a vehicle I depend on. Possibly thousands of miles out on vacation.
pteck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 02:54 PM   #110
4 Rivet Member

Dayton , OH, 2017 33' Classic 8,561 dry
Me thinks a newer Tundra with 5.7 & 4:30 should more than adiquately tow a 27 unless as you say you really loaded that bed heavily where an HD becomes an obvious by the scaled numbers choice. First trip if you didn’t know how to adjust your loading & WDH by scale results might be the reason you thought it was inadequate as you may not knew your actual axles and tongue weight.

I’d buy another Toyota. But an American owned company means more to me than a higher percentage assembled here. Profits & control stays here. Just my thoughts.
VernDiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 05:29 PM   #111
4 Rivet Member

1972 31' Excella 500
2017 30' Classic
Grapeview , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by pteck View Post
Somewhat tongue and cheek...but you're right that there's no "need" for a wider torque band, to make stupendous HP. They do excellent work off the line and at pedestrian speeds which is all that is really needed. But it's also why it won't necessarily get to the top of the hill first... because they don't really have that much more hp to offset all that weight.

You don't have to take my word for it. Case study of F350 vs Tundra, each towing 7000lbs of AS.

F350 - 450hp, 8060 lb curb weight
17.91 lbs / hp unhitched, 7.6 sec 0-60
33.46 lbs / hp towing

Tundra - 381hp, 5335 lb curb weight
14.00 lbs / hp unhitched, 6.1 sec 0-60
32.38 lbs / hp towing

If you're astute, you'll note that as weight gets progressively heavier, the power to weight will skew towards the Ford, and it ultimately will be incrementally faster. Still not a bad showing for a little archaic Tundra that's much less costly in acquisition and maintenance. We're towing welterweight Airstreams after all, not bulldozers. You can do much worse than a Tundra after all, *cough* F150 diesel @ 46.5 lbs / hp towing *cough*

Happy T-day to you and your family.

"Pedestrain Speed" LOL way to funny. Moving 8800 lbs. of TV 0-60 in a little over 7 sec may not be = to your Toyota. However nothing to laugh at. Would concur 100%, there are many more TV's to consider when towing 25' and under and from what I have read they do it quite well. Presume these are the "Welterweights" you are referring to? The little Diesels would not be my choice. Maybe if we had a Base Camp, may be Diesel VW rabbit/Golf. Sorry showing my age.

Over the years I have experienced the harder/up to the limits you and a TV have to work, the shorter the life of TV. Being in the PNW not a lot of flat unless you are East Of the Cascades. The big Diesels pull the ups and downs w/little effort, good mpg, and safely is all I am saying.

I gave the dozer to the boy, so no I do not tow the dozer......I do tow the Kubota mini once in awhile....Want hear something funny, we get better mpg towing the mini (9600 mini + 4000 trailer) than when we tow our 30' classic. Go figure..........

Be well, safe travels, and best regards
sbowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 05:36 PM   #112
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Toyota Tundra

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbowman View Post
Happy T-day to you and your family.

"Pedestrain Speed" LOL way to funny. Moving 8800 lbs. of TV 0-60 in a little over 7 sec may not be = to your Toyota. However nothing to laugh at. Would concur 100%, there are many more TV's to consider when towing 25' and under and from what I have read they do it quite well. Presume these are the "Welterweights" you are referring to? The little Diesels would not be my choice. Maybe if we had a Base Camp, may be Diesel VW rabbit/Golf. Sorry showing my age.

Over the years I have experienced the harder/up to the limits you and a TV have to work, the shorter the life of TV. Being in the PNW not a lot of flat unless you are East Of the Cascades. The big Diesels pull the ups and downs w/little effort, good mpg, and safely is all I am saying.

I gave the dozer to the boy, so no I do not tow the dozer......I do tow the Kubota mini once in awhile....Want hear something funny, we get better mpg towing the mini (9600 mini + 4000 trailer) than when we tow our 30' classic. Go figure..........

Be well, safe travels, and best regards

Weight tows mostly “free” aside from a bit of additional rolling resistance, inertia that isn’t burned up in brake heat = recovered energy, but there is no recovery of energy expended for the cause of displacing air.

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 06:15 PM   #113
jcl
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Vancouver , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbowman View Post
Want hear something funny, we get better mpg towing the mini (9600 mini + 4000 trailer) than when we tow our 30' classic. Go figure..........
That isn’t hard to figure at all, and illustrates clearly the folly of relying solely on trailer weights and tow vehicle ratings to judge tow vehicle capability. Just calculate frontal area for each towed vehicle. As noted above, weight isn’t a direct driver of real tow limits. It is just an easily referenced figure.
jcl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 08:09 PM   #114
4 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Waco , Texas
Here in Texas, the Toyota Tundras are a seeing a much wider acceptance within the pickup market. Lots of "Ford or nothing" owners have been slowing moving over to the extremely reliable Tundra. Parts sourcing for the San Antonio assembly plant is now 55% American and 45% Japanese. 100% Assembled in USA.

I really wanted an F250 Platinum or King Ranch very badly. But Ford dealers just will not heavily discount the pickups here in Texas. I dearly loved the F250, but could not pull the trigger on a purchase due to prices. So I bought a used Tundra Platinum in Sky Silver.

This year, I towed my FC25FB over 18,500 miles, from Maine to Florida to Texas, and thoroughly enjoyed the towing experience. I have towed skid steers, tractors, and fencing supplies for the ranch. Every time I walk past an F250, I fully admire the truck; but I am very much pleased with my Tundra.
Martee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 01:49 PM   #115
Rivet Master

2018 27' International
Southeastern MI , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by KK4YZ View Post
At least the tundra doesn’t have that stupid looking animal head for a logo. Almost looks satanic ��
Yeah, I agree with you there. I’m looking for a replacement grille. And to make matters worse, they made the goat head even bigger in later years. But the Toyota actually says “TRD” on the back. That ain’t good either lol.

My truck is the last year that doesn’t have foot-high “ram” lettering on the tailgate. I dislike that also.
Countryboy59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 09:22 AM   #116
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
2017 23' Flying Cloud
Hiawassee , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Countryboy59 View Post
Yeah, I agree with you there. I’m looking for a replacement grille. And to make matters worse, they made the goat head even bigger in later years. But the Toyota actually says “TRD” on the back. That ain’t good either lol.

My truck is the last year that doesn’t have foot-high “ram” lettering on the tailgate. I dislike that also.
Yeah, I have the same thought when I see TRD. Mine doesn’t have that, thankfully.
KK4YZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 01:28 PM   #117
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
sequim , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by aftermath View Post
Uh, who was the first to run down a brand in this thread? That reelfast guy felt that he had to tell everyone how a Tundra was the worst TV ever....

I am usually a mild kind of guy and I also respect everyone else's choices. What I don't like is when a poster feels that it is his duty to rip into those who do not agree with them. You see this in discussions regarding weight distributing hitches, running with your fridge on and as always, your choice of Tow Vehicles.

Read the thread and see who threw the first punch. If you like your big diesel, then more power (pun not intended) to you. Believe me, we are all happy for you. If you have a gasser and like it to be a one ton dually, again, good on ya. And on and on it goes....Can't we just be friends?

hey the question was what do you think of the Tundra as a tow vehicle?? i simply shared my opinion and experience. if you disagree that is fine with me. oh and i forgot to post all of my trucks are 4x4s so that may explain the MPG differences.

happy towing
reelfastgreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 04:21 PM   #118
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Spokane , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by stujan View Post
Who tows with the Toyota Tundra 5.7? What size AS do you tow? Would you recommend the truck?

Here is the original question. You took a little liberty with it so you could air your grievances.
aftermath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 06:40 PM   #119
4 Rivet Member

1972 31' Excella 500
2017 30' Classic
Grapeview , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcl View Post
That isn’t hard to figure at all, and illustrates clearly the folly of relying solely on trailer weights and tow vehicle ratings to judge tow vehicle capability. Just calculate frontal area for each towed vehicle. As noted above, weight isn’t a direct driver of real tow limits. It is just an easily referenced figure.

Apologize up front, understand, trolling/snarky go figure comment statement.

Best regards and safe travels
Old 11-24-2018, 06:58 PM   #120
4 Rivet Member

1972 31' Excella 500
2017 30' Classic
Grapeview , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by KK4YZ View Post
At least the tundra doesn’t have that stupid looking animal head for a logo. Almost looks satanic 😱

Agree, not a fan of the RAM head. I thought about putting duct tape over the RAM head(s), however the wife said no. Glad ours is a 2016. No RAM across the tail gate, uck! We bought the RAM for the Cummins, have to live w/the RAM head. Thinking about changing the grill out. Not sure about the steering wheel, MOMO maybe? Airbag is problem. Maybe I can pull it off?

At least w/the Toyota you can take a heat gun to the decal, I will give you bonus points for that...........

Best regards and safe travels