Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-09-2018, 09:41 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Spokane , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by stujan View Post
Who tows with the Toyota Tundra 5.7? What size AS do you tow? Would you recommend the truck?

Here is a reminder to all of you who want to talk about your experiences with other trucks and how a diesel is a better choice. Man, it never ends here.

I towed with my '08 Tundra for 9 years without an issue. I upgraded to a '17 and continue to tow my 25FB with no problems. Let me respond to the typical criticisms levied against the Tundra. With 47,000 miles pulling the Airstream I am getting between 10 to 13 on trips. Yes, it isn't the absolute best in mileage but I wouldn't trade in the dependability for an extra mile or two on the average. As a daily driver, I will get 15-17, low end in town and upper on the road. If I did a lot of driving then I might look into the eco-boost but I don't so I am happy where I am.

Payload capacity is low but not much different from the other 1/2 tons out there. We have absolutely no problem, we pack accordingly and yes, I have weighed my setup while on the road.

Plenty of power. I run in 5th while towing and will shift to 4th on the hills, sometimes even down into 3rd if I want to keep the speed up. This is a very capable truck. The temp gauge never moves and the oil pressure is steady. I towed a tent trailer with my Explorer years ago and it heated up on every hill.

The built in brake controller on the '17 was a POS. It is a timed controller and I had lots of trouble with it. Put my P2 in the dash with the adapter and everything is great again. I also use an Equalizer and that has worked well for me.

I haven't experienced any trouble with the NAV system. We just got back from a 4500 mile loop through the west and didn't have trouble with it. Perhaps the '18 has some issues. I would check with the dealer.

I don't think you will regret the decision to go with the combo you asked about.
aftermath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 10:19 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2007 27' International CCD FB
San Diego , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollysdad View Post
First, if a 38 gallon tank was available, I wouldn't want it. I don't want to drag around an additional 70 pounds of fuel. Your range is less than your mileage x your tank size unless you plan on running out of fuel or finding a station when your "distance to empty" reads "0".
I usually get serious about refueling when the counter says "50 miles to empty".
That's about after driving 225 miles and I'm ready to stop and stretch my legs.
And the pooch appreciates it too.
Well, it is an option. So no one says you have to get it. Or if one has it, have to fill the tank full. At least it is there and available for those that want it. I for one would opt for the larger tank.

The tank on my LX is similar in capacity to the normal Tundra (~26gallon). So I likewise usually only have 200-230 range. Which has been tight on occasions in more rural areas. I carry a 3.5 gallon tote of gas, for my generator, but also as extra margin for the car. So I can comfortably run the tank deeper to eek out a bit more range, and have fuel in reserve just in case.

The aftermarket is finally catching up and I believe there are now options to change to a larger main, or aux tank to the Tundra. I will be installing one shortly.
pteck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 09:02 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
My '08 Tundra double cab 2WD will get 20mpg on the hiway. I rarely drive over 65mph.
Towing my Nash 25" it will get around 11mpg. Towing the 26' Argosy it will be 13-14 mpg.
I use 4th gear and drive 60mph when towing.
I bought the truck ib 2012. It had 9K miles on it. Just passed 72K miles. 50K miles towing.
No regrets buying the Tundra.
Don't really see the need for more fuel capacity since I rarely drive 200 miles without stopping.
It would not concern me having the extra fuel capacity and hauling the weight.
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 05:29 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2018 27' International
Southeastern MI , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by aftermath View Post
Here is a reminder to all of you who want to talk about your experiences with other trucks and how a diesel is a better choice. Man, it never ends here.

I towed with my '08 Tundra for 9 years without an issue. I upgraded to a '17 and continue to tow my 25FB with no problems. Let me respond to the typical criticisms levied against the Tundra. With 47,000 miles pulling the Airstream I am getting between 10 to 13 on trips. Yes, it isn't the absolute best in mileage but I wouldn't trade in the dependability for an extra mile or two on the average. As a daily driver, I will get 15-17, low end in town and upper on the road. If I did a lot of driving then I might look into the eco-boost but I don't so I am happy where I am.

Payload capacity is low but not much different from the other 1/2 tons out there. We have absolutely no problem, we pack accordingly and yes, I have weighed my setup while on the road.

Plenty of power. I run in 5th while towing and will shift to 4th on the hills, sometimes even down into 3rd if I want to keep the speed up. This is a very capable truck. The temp gauge never moves and the oil pressure is steady. I towed a tent trailer with my Explorer years ago and it heated up on every hill
The reliability thing might be hard to gauge with 47,000 miles and in warranty. I need to hit 200k before I say something has reliability.

The explorer is a V6 front wheel drive car, not a truck. No comparison.

I like vehicles that don’t have a list of “shortcomings” best.
Countryboy59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 08:59 AM   #25
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Spokane , Washington
Actually I only have 15K on my new 2017. I had close to 90K on my '08 and even closer to 100K on my 4Runner before that. The 47,000 I was referring to was the total towing mileage of both of the Tundras. In between all of these I also had a Prius. All 4 of the Toyotas never required any work to be done other than the '08 Tundra that did have a recall on a bearing in the differential. None of them left me on the side of the road, unlike my Explorer.

And, the Explorer came with a tow package and a weight rating which I was way, way under. Remember I was pulling a tent trailer when this thing basically gave up the ghost. It would move into the temp redline when going up steep hills and finally blew a transmission seal which left me camping beside a mountain lake. And it was a 4 wheel drive Explorer, not just a front wheel unit. Oh, and the electronic transfer case went out during a big snow storm when my wife was trying to get home. Sorry, if I confused you here.
aftermath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 11:07 AM   #26
Rivet Master

2018 27' International
Quote:
Originally Posted by aftermath View Post
Actually I only have 15K on my new 2017. I had close to 90K on my '08 and even closer to 100K on my 4Runner before that. The 47,000 I was referring to was the total towing mileage of both of the Tundras. In between all of these I also had a Prius. All 4 of the Toyotas never required any work to be done other than the '08 Tundra that did have a recall on a bearing in the differential. None of them left me on the side of the road, unlike my Explorer.

And, the Explorer came with a tow package and a weight rating which I was way, way under. Remember I was pulling a tent trailer when this thing basically gave up the ghost. It would move into the temp redline when going up steep hills and finally blew a transmission seal which left me camping beside a mountain lake. And it was a 4 wheel drive Explorer, not just a front wheel unit. Oh, and the electronic transfer case went out during a big snow storm when my wife was trying to get home. Sorry, if I confused you here.

Nope, not confused. The Explorer is a front wheel drive car, some come with a driveshaft to the rear but it’s NOT a truck. I know people who tow with them and I just cringe when I see it. Might as well tow with an Impala.

Comparing that to a Toyota truck is like comparing a peanut butter sandwich to a beer.

Tow Vehicle: 2020 F-350 6.7L Diesel
Old 11-10-2018, 01:31 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Countryboy59 View Post
The reliability thing might be hard to gauge with 47,000 miles and in warranty.
It's a Toyota, end of story.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 02:02 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2018 27' International
Quote:
Maybe in 1978. Nowadays they’re all reliable.

Old 11-10-2018, 03:23 PM   #29
Rivet Master

San Diego , California
Quote:
True story.

Quote:
Maybe in 1978. Nowadays they’re all reliable.
They're all [more] reliable. Yet Toyota consistently scores meaningfully higher. Chevy, Rams consistently lower than industry average. One can debate this all they want, but there is long term data to support this.
Old 11-10-2018, 04:24 PM   #30
Rivet Master

2018 27' International
Quote:
Originally Posted by pteck View Post
True story.

They're all [more] reliable. Yet Toyota consistently scores meaningfully higher. Chevy, Rams consistently lower than industry average. One can debate this all they want, but there is long term data to support this.
And then there are the sales numbers. Toyota and Nissan are lower priced options but will never compete in the truck world. They make nice cars though.

Old 11-10-2018, 08:38 PM   #31
Rivet Master

San Diego , California
Quote:
And then there are the sales numbers. Toyota and Nissan are lower priced options but will never compete in the truck world. They make nice cars though.
You making a different point doesn't make the previous point any less true. Reliability is Toyota's core strength, and it is baked in from the very start in its design.

Sometimes this creates a more conservative product. Less complexity. Less bleeding edge technology. More conservative engine tune that makes it less fuel efficient yet more reliable. Less payload. Simple yet robust designs.

Yet I beg to differ that Toyota at least, is always a lower price option. They have some incredible and much more expensive vehicles that you might just be unfamiliar with. I happen to own and tow with one that's costs more than any F250/F350. Choosing a Toyota is not necessarily a matter of cost.

To your point, it doesn't make Toyota "better" in everyone's eyes. Nothing wrong with that. Different strokes for different folks. It's an easier sell to appeal to superlatives and emotion than reliability.

Which is why all own Airstreams right?
Old 11-12-2018, 04:49 PM   #32
caz
2 Rivet Member

2018 30' Flying Cloud
Elgin , Texas
Tundra

I tow a 2018 Flying Cloud 30' with a 2018 Tundra, SR5, 5.7L 38 gal tank, double cab. Plenty of power and very good handling with a WD hitch. Just completed a 8500 mile trip through the midwest & eastern US. Love the Tundra!
Caz.
caz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 09:45 AM   #33
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
sequim , Washington
worst tow vehicle i have ever owned

I have had 2 Tundras before I woke up to the fact they are the worst tow vehicles on the highway. not towing the best mileage I ever got was 15mpg. the engine needs a turbo and the transmission just shifts up and down continually with every rise and bump in the road. do yourself a favor and choose something more capable of towing, a truck designed for the purpose! as a Ford guy my next choice was obvious and I also chose a diesel, way better mileage and torque never ending.
reelfastgreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 09:51 AM   #34
1 Rivet Member

2018 30' International
Denton , Texas
We also have the 5.7 4wd with the larger fuel tank and tow a 30’ International. Have had no problems. We’ve had Toyota’s for years and and wouldn’t go any other way.
csrichey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 10:08 AM   #35
1 Rivet Member

1992 34' Excella
Michigan City , Indiana
We tow with 2007 SR5 Double cab 5.7lt. and we are towing a 34ft AS, loaded with a fair amount of gear in the trailer and pickup. The trailer weight in at 7,600lbs and the rear axle came in under the limit by 150lbs (inside of pickup is set up to sleep in/with a topper on it) The front axle came in 200lbs under the limit. With 401lbs of torgue and 385 hp. It
tows does great. It has 10,800lbs tow capacity, I think the tongue weight is 1,100lbs(not sure) Yes it will not climb mountains as well as a desiel , But we have no need to race up a mountain hwy. Yes we have gone up mountains hwys in Virgina. It preform well enough for me. We use HD tires and a class V Airsafe hitch and fastway 10,000bls weight distibution system with trunion bars and lovethis setup.
Stormiscomin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 10:28 AM   #36
2 Rivet Member

2020 28' Flying Cloud
Hiawassee , Georgia
We concur. Great truck all the way around. We tow a 23’ & it tows like a dream!
LazyGray2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 10:55 AM   #37
2 Rivet Member

2008 28' International
2024 28' International
Appleton , Wisconsin
love ours

we tow a 2008 28' International with our 2010 Tundra 5.7 crew cab & equalizer hitch, no problems and will probably buy the same thing when the Tundra needs to be replaced.
Bradknapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 11:20 AM   #38
3 Rivet Member

1969 27' Overlander
Shaker Heights , Ohio
Tundra as a tV

I've been towing our 69' Overlander with our 05' Sequoia for 6 years and never had any real problem. The Sequoia is a Tundra with an SUV body. The reason being we had kids in tow as well so it was a better more comfortable ride with the identical specs for towing, drive train, motor. Other than getting the correct tires and a brake controller I've enjoyed it. The only time I wish I had more power was in the mountains. I will probably upgrade to a newer 6 speed 5.7L pick up truck once kids are out of college. I wouldn't hesitate to buy either one again.

It is impossible to achieve the aim without suffering-unknown source from a Robert Fripp album-
rayandre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 11:45 AM   #39
4 Rivet Member

2014 28' International
Blacksburg , Virginia
Impala

Quote:
Nope, not confused. The Explorer is a front wheel drive car, some come with a driveshaft to the rear but it’s NOT a truck. I know people who tow with them and I just cringe when I see it. Might as well tow with an Impala.
Comparing that to a Toyota truck is like comparing a peanut butter sandwich to a beer.
They made some good Impala's back in the day. My grandfather had a 79 or 80 model, can't remember. Big car, with a 350 V-8. I remember the motor, because I was allowed to help change spark plugs on it for the first time. It was black. Good looking car, you know the model with the four halogen headlights. Huge trunk, square-ish.
It run good, especially when my grand-dad said we needed to 'blow the cobwebs out of the motor". It was like a rocketship to kid !

I bet a lot of families used the Impala as a tow vehicle for a camper. It was probably pretty stable. Way better than a explorer, or MDX thingy.

I don't have a Tundra story, but I bet it is a excellent tow vehicle. Put some good LT tires on it and choose a rear axle ratio 3:73 or lower, and let pull all day.
You will have to change the spark plugs on it though, eventually.
Stay safe out there,
Old 11-14-2018, 12:13 PM   #40
1 Rivet Member

2011 20' Flying Cloud
Asheville , North Carolina
2008 Tundra 5.7

We towed our 28' International Serenity RB up a very steep mountain gravel road without difficulty with our 2008 Tundra 5.7 with 120K+ miles on it. It towed that Airstream in Washington, plus our previous 25' across the country from NC to WA without difficulty. When we lived in Asheville it regularly towed up and backed down a steep driveway with no problem. Like others say, not great gas mileage but a dream to travel with otherwise.
Cheryle is offline   Reply With Quote