Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-05-2015, 09:25 AM   #1
New and Eager

1972 27' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Loomis , California
Toyota Sequoia - pay more for anti-sway?

Hello there-we've decided on a Toyota Sequoia as our tow vehicle. It's going to be my daily driver too and of course I want the Platinum with all the bells and whistles.

In 2012 Toyota started offering the integrated trailer sway control. Of course we will still install an anti-sway, weight distributing hitch. I've read way to much on these forums not to do that.

I was hoping to stay around $30K for a nice used Sequoia, but to get a 2012 or newer the price goes up to $40K. My question is this: if I invest in a robust hitch package do I really need the built in anti-sway package too? I know many, many folks tow safely without the built in.

We will be towing a restored 27' Overlander. I will also tow lighter weight vintage trailers (Boles Aero/Aristocrat) and a lightweight horse trailer (Brenderup).

Input appreciated! Y'all are the best!
O Shiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 09:42 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
I think I would have to se some real strong evidence of that system working with a trailer before I would consider it.

It is most likely a modification of the ABS system and with thst in mind brings questions to mind. As a general rule the first we have been educated to do when a trailer goes into oscillation is to apply the gas and apply the trailer brakes. Applying the TV brakes just doesn't cut it till I see supporting evidence.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 01:16 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
"Critical to customers who tow, the 5.7-liter V8 produces 90 percent of its peak torque at just 2,200 RPM. A Tow/Haul mode modifies transmission shift points for optimal performance. The new-for-2012 Trailer Sway Control system, which is also featured on the Toyota Tundra full-size pickup truck, uses the Vehicle Stability Control (VSC) to help counteract handling forces acting on the truck in an effort to minimize the impact of trailer sway. The Sequoia's towing hitch is integrated into the frame as a single unit."

2012 Toyota Sequoia Adds Trailer Sway Control and Blind Spot Monitor | Toyota
2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
Rich W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 01:39 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1984 34' International
Toronto , Ontario
Trailer sway is best fixed at the trailer end, either with a decent hitch or with a system that applies the trailer brakes as needed.

I'd save the money and invest it in a Hensley or ProPride instead.

The Sequoia was on our shortlist of new vehicles, but I could not find any for sale, at a reasonable price, anywhere. In the end we chose a Dodge Durango.
andreasduess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 02:48 PM   #5
Rivet Master

There are lots of us out there that get along just fine with no integrated anti sway control in the tow vehicle.
Airstreams track like an arrow. If yours sways there is something wrong with the hitch setup.
Is there any one out there that tows with a Toyota Sequoia? It is on my short list of vehicles to consider. New the SR 5 trim model is not that pricey and I don't care about sunroofs, cooled seats and all that other platinum, limited crap.
I am concerned that it is a short wheelbase SUV with a modest 7,400 lb tow rating and not enough truck to tow my trailer in the mountains where I live.
I have an older 25 Safari with a 6,300 gvw.
handn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 03:37 PM   #6
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
What Howie said. Also, first year for a model or option is often a bit on the edge. Maybe focus on the overall vehicle condition and buy the best available for what you have to spend. Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 09:34 AM   #7
New and Eager

1972 27' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Loomis , California
Thanks everyone!

You confirmed what we've been thinking! Really appreciate the input.

For a laugh-we've been (very carefully) towing our gutted Airstream with my Honda mini-van. The trailer is literally just a shell, floor and frame, we've used it twice as an aluminum tent. You should see people's faces when we pull up with this tow rig! And yes, the Airstream does tow beautifully. We love it.
O Shiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 11:07 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by handn View Post
Is there any one out there that tows with a Toyota Sequoia? It is on my short list of vehicles to consider. New the SR 5 trim model is not that pricey and I don't care about sunroofs, cooled seats and all that other platinum, limited crap.
I am concerned that it is a short wheelbase SUV with a modest 7,400 lb tow rating and not enough truck to tow my trailer in the mountains where I live.
I have an older 25 Safari with a 6,300 gvw.
I tow our 23' Safari (4,700 GVWR) with an '04 4Runner, V8, rated for 7,000 lbs.. My model year has the same size engine as the Sequoia, 4.7 L. I was concerned about the wheelbase on mine too but the AS tracks just fine. It's a little slow going up the Appalachian mountains, drops to 50 in 3rd. In 04 that was the largest available engine and in subsequent years Toyota went back to the 6 cylinder and dramatically reduced the towing capacity of the 4-Runner. 2003-2008 (I think 2008) were V8 years.

The Sequoia is rated slightly better at 7,400 lbs., not sure if that is for the 4WD or 2WD. If you get the 5.7L there shouldn't be any problems.
2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
Rich W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 11:25 AM   #9
3 Rivet Member

2015 28' Flying Cloud
Charlottesville , Virginia
For what it's worth........when I purchased our 2015 Airstream 28 ft. FC I did not expect to purchase a new vehicle. I owned an Infiniti QX-56 with a tow rating for 8,900 lbs. To make a long story short I towed the new AS for about 4,000 miles with our Infiniti and was never comfortable with the way that it towed and especially not with stopping. Safety is my "number one" concern so I sold the Infiniti and went over board purchasing a GMC 2500 Diesel pickup truck. This maybe more truck than necessary to tow my AS but I am happy with my decision to buy it. I was concerned about the money, worried about using a 2500 truck as my daily driver etc. I love the truck but even if I didn't like it, it is a tow truck is drives like a dream pulling the AS. Money is always important but so is safety. BTW, before I owned my Infiniti QX 56 I owned a Sequoia and loved it, they are great cars. I just question whether or not it is enough vehicle to tow 7,500 lb +/- AS. Just my opinion, lots of smart people will disagree I'm sure. I also own the Hensley Hitch, my wife calls it the "divorce hitch" there is a steep learning curve to the Hensley. If I had to make that decision over again I would look hard at buying The Pro Pride. The people who own Hensley's love them and yes I am happy with the way that it tows BUT the new owners of Hensley Manufacturing were very nice when I was buying the hitch but not quite as helpful when I had lots of trouble learning how to hookup. I hope that this helps!
Charlottesville, VA
Ed Brownfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 11:26 AM   #10
3 Rivet Member

2009 34' Panamerica
2008 22' Safari
Metro Detroit Area & Metro Dallas Area , Michigan & Texas
Good luck finding a inexpensive Platinum edition Sequoia, especially if you desire the red leather interior. I have a 2010 Platinum (shortbed). I tow my 34' PanAmerica without a problem. A main concern to consider: Beind able to open the rear hatch without always HAVING to unhitch from the trailer. The upward swing of the rear door may be affected by the front jack (even turned sideways). The Tundra worked better for me because of the additional cargo space. The Seqouia has amble space, but is too pretty to spoil. Classy tow vehicle and for daily usage. However, the mileage sucks on either - if that's a concern!
Urbanologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 12:27 PM   #11
Tom T

Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Orange , California
Hi O Shiny,

I think we may have met at Pismo, Ocean Mesa, Buellton &/or Newport Dunes vintage rallies in recent years, if you've taken your Boles or Aristocrat to them. We have the `60 Avion T20.

IMHO look for the best condition, well kept & low mile example - regardless of the Platinum trim & have it checked out by your mechanic before you buy. Most Toyota trucks tend to be well used with lotsa miles, & I'd try to keep south of 8-10k miles/yr.

The in-truck anti-sway would be okay as a belt-&-suspenders for a good WD/AS hitch, but not to be a must-have or deal killer without it, nor to pay more for it.

You'll be much better off putting the extra money into a really good WD/AS hitch, including the top of the line ProPride or Hensley. We have a Hensley Cub (the scaled down Arrow for trailers up to 6000# $ 600# HW), & have been very happy.

If you're still looking come Ocean Mesa in March, stop by & I can show you our Hensley for reference, or look at post #5 on my page here:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f368...se-127907.html

As you can see there, an added benefit to those PPP hitches is that they both extend the trailer A-frame back by a foot or so to aid the tailgate/rear hatch clearance (as noted by Urbanologist above), & they increase the turning angle ability to turn tighter - as well as eliminating sway completely.

PS - we'd looked at the 4Runner V8 & Gland Bruiser V8 as options for our tow vehicle, cuz we need something smaller that a full size truck that the Sequoyah is based on (BTW - that is the correct Cherokee phonetic spelling as in the OK County by that name & the man both were named after, not Sequoia). Unfortunately I don't find many in sub-50,000 mile range, ergo we are looking at less used & more pampered Porsche Cayenne S V8s 06-10 & to do Porsche club events with it, but the Toyotas are great vehicles & very reliable, as well as easier to work on according to my long time mechanic of 40 years.

Good Luck!
Tom
///////
1960 Avion T20, #2 made, Hensley Cub, TV tbd- looking for 08-22 Cayenne S, EH, etc
1988 VW Vanagon Westfalia CamperGL (Orig Owner) + 1970 Eriba Puck
Tom_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 01:11 PM   #12
Flying Cloud 27

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Union Hall , Virginia
I tow our 27' FC with a 2015 Sequoia Limited which has the tow/hail feature. You have to set the switch on every time you restart the car, so there have been times after refueling stops when I've forgotten to turn it back on, and frankly I'm not sure I can tell the difference. But perhaps in an extreme situation it might help. Since I have it, I'll use it !
smlbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 01:16 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

Austin , Texas
modern anti-sway stability control is good for more than anti-sway

I have a 2013 Tundra which is similar to the Sequoia. We were towing our 25' 1983 Avion in fairly heavy rain when we entered a stretch of road where there were very significant depth puddles along the side of the road with no warning that this was happening. We were going about 45 MPH. I think the stability system kept us from losing control. The truck kept tracking straight and just slowed down, and the trailer stayed with it, even though you could tell from the feel that the right side was pulled hard as it dropped into the deeper water. THe steering wheel stayed straight, and so did the vehicles.

You might want the newer control system for more than the anti-sway properties.

Best wishes, and safe travelling.

bd
dower.bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 02:47 PM   #14
1 Rivet Member

2015 23' Flying Cloud
Santa Fe , New Mexico
We tow our 2015 Flying Cloud 23D (6,000 lbs. GVWR) with a 2014 Sequioia Limited 5.7L with built-in tow package. With an Equalizer hitch, it tows like a dream. (Although admittedly the trailer was lightly loaded, with not much fresh water on board.) But we could accelerate up mts. and never had any sway at all. It's true that you can't fully open the back cargo door on the Sequoia while hitched, so you have to plan ahead. But the Sequoia is a very comfortable easy car to drive, and no more of a pain to park than a truck (which is to say, I often use 2 spaces in tight parking lots).
Old 12-06-2015, 05:39 PM   #15
SipStreamer

2010 20' Flying Cloud
Lakeside , Montana
Our TV has the built in anti sway and we've done about 45k towing miles. The only time it's kicked in was when we swerved hard left or right (to avoid something in the road) and started the sway. We won't be buying this feature for the next TV.
StreamDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 07:31 AM   #16
Flying Cloud 27

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Union Hall , Virginia
It's true, the inability to open the rear hatch ( I use an Equalizer hitch) is at first annoying. But I keep what I need to set up with (blocks, electric hookup, water hose) just inside the rear roll down window, and it works just fine. The 5.7L V-8 tows great...I rarely use 4WD. Gas mileage sucks, but our Sequoia is one of our everyday vehicles.
smlbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 06:42 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1984 34' International
Toronto , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by O Shiny View Post
You confirmed what we've been thinking! Really appreciate the input.

For a laugh-we've been (very carefully) towing our gutted Airstream with my Honda mini-van. The trailer is literally just a shell, floor and frame, we've used it twice as an aluminum tent. You should see people's faces when we pull up with this tow rig! And yes, the Airstream does tow beautifully. We love it.
We have towed our, fully restored, 1984 34' International for three years with a Honda minivan. A low centre of gravity, high payload, independent suspension with a wide stance and excellent brakes make the Honda a very capable tow vehicle indeed.

But yes, we did get the same old questions almost anywhere we stopped for the night.
andreasduess is offline   Reply With Quote