Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-03-2012, 04:00 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2015 28' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
Toyota Sequoia MPG?

We're considering a new Toyota Sequoia (5.7L) for our next tow vehicle. I'd appreciate any frank (private if you prefer) feedback on the fuel economy, performance, towing stability etc. from current owners who tow a similar load to our FC23FB (5673 lbs loaded).
JamuJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 08:42 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
I have had one since 2008. I live at 7000 feet and drive down the mountain and up again , 2000 feet. Not much city driving but up and down I get 17 mpg. Highway I have gotten up to 22 mpg. Now towing I am at 10.6 mpg at 1600 miles on the trip I am on. Are friends have a suburban and even he admits the sequoia is more comfortable and has more passenger room. It doesn't have much room behind the third row but with four kids it works out great.

We love ours and just have the SR5. I put air bladders in the springs and run 10 psi and it rides better than without them.

It has more power than you need, I have. Ever lacked on any pass and tow at 70 mph, when the speed limit allows.

May you have at least one sunny day, and a soft chair to sit in..

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
purman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 09:03 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1972 27' Overlander
Penokee , Kansas
My cousin has a Toyata pu with that engine and once he road with me in my Dodge Tradesman 4x4 seeing it get 21.2 mpg at 72 mph he fell in love.. Hemi,, 6 speed,, 3.96 gears and 390hp when you want it.. He fell over backwards when he found out I got my new Dodge for $14,000 cheaper. Now dealing on a new Dodge,.

Sodbust

20mpg empty, 14 mpg with 27' Overlander.

Today is the first day of the rest of your life!
Sodbust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 11:10 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
I have the 4.10 rear end in mine with the row package. It's kind of hard to compare trucks and An SUV. Trucks won't carry all the people and are a little lighter.

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
Old 08-04-2012, 05:51 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Pearland , Texas
purman, that's pretty impressive mpg. A whole lot better than I would have expected. Significantly better than my 5.7 Tundra. You are talking about the new body style 5.7L Sequoia right?

That's about the gas mileage we get in my wife's new 4Runner. I would expect to get better in my truck then the Sequoia due to weight.

Toyotas website shows 14/20 for the 4.6L and 13/18 for the 5.7L.

Guess its all in how you drive it. Maybe I'm too rough on mine.

But to the original post we test drove the sequoia when we bought my wife's 4Runner. I loved it and it got my vote but the 4Runner ended up winning out because my wife works and has to park in downtown Houston so the smaller vehicle was her choice. Saved a good bit of money so I wasn't complaining.

Plus the Sequoia was made for towing an AS. Don't you remember the commercials when they first came out with the new body style all showed it towing an AS?
Old 08-04-2012, 06:19 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2006 22' International CCD
2007 Base Camp
Elk Valley , British Columbia
I've got a 2008 Platinum with the 5.7l... loafing along I get 25 to 27 on the highway (imperial gallons) and loaded with a 5000lb 22' Intl 13 to 16. This roughly matches purman in US gallons.

Lots of torque... great programming on the 6 speed for towing... love everything about it and there are some good deals on barely used ones if you look around.
Friday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 09:18 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by bike_addict
purman, that's pretty impressive mpg. A whole lot better than I would have expected. Significantly better than my 5.7 Tundra. You are talking about the new body style 5.7L Sequoia right?

That's about the gas mileage we get in my wife's new 4Runner. I would expect to get better in my truck then the Sequoia due to weight.

Toyotas website shows 14/20 for the 4.6L and 13/18 for the 5.7L.

Guess its all in how you drive it. Maybe I'm too rough on mine.

But to the original post we test drove the sequoia when we bought my wife's 4Runner. I loved it and it got my vote but the 4Runner ended up winning out because my wife works and has to park in downtown Houston so the smaller vehicle was her choice. Saved a good bit of money so I wasn't complaining.

Plus the Sequoia was made for towing an AS. Don't you remember the commercials when they first came out with the new body style all showed it towing an AS?
Yep that the new style and engine. I have even towed a 9000# mini excavator on a 2000# trailer up to my house and back down the 2000 feet , just to see how it did 55 mph up hill with plenty left, and no problem back down.

Now that's what the computer says. I have never Checked that with calculating miles with how much gas I put in.

It gets better mpg than our 01 4runner. And like I say, I live in the country so no real city driving. I love the six speed transmission. Going down hill you can manually go through all the gears. Because of this I spend a lot less time with my foot on the break.

My friend has the 8.2 litter in his surbuban, and gets 8mpg towing. Also can only put the transmission in 1 st 2 nd or 3 rd, he rides his breaks twice as much as i do. I think more and more are going to the 6 speed transmission. It's a great set up.

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
Old 08-04-2012, 10:32 PM   #8
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodbust View Post
My cousin has a Toyata pu with that engine and once he road with me in my Dodge Tradesman 4x4 seeing it get 21.2 mpg at 72 mph he fell in love.. Hemi,, 6 speed,, 3.96 gears and 390hp when you want it.. He fell over backwards when he found out I got my new Dodge for $14,000 cheaper. Now dealing on a new Dodge,.

Sodbust
We're considering a new Toyota Sequoia (5.7L) for our next tow vehicle. I'd appreciate any frank (private if you prefer) feedback on the fuel economy, performance, towing stability etc. from current owners who tow a similar load to our FC23FB (5673 lbs loaded).

As a followup to the thoughts of a pickup truck -- and as the TT is the one which is the permanent acquisition, not the TV -- a 23' A/S at under 7k can have quite a few TVs which would do a good job of pulling it. Read Andrew T's posts & threads, for example. Nothing wrong with a Sequoia, nor with a pickup (although there are better by design: fully independent suspension and low center of gravity). But it's a lot of money between all the possible choices as Sodbust points out with the example of the truck . . and that pays for all differences in fuel mileage, plus changes to the trailer in re wheels, tires, brakes, VPP hitch, etc. The OP might well ask: is this vehicle a good choice? For this size TT there are few bad ones . . . the differences that matter are elsewhere.

Good luck in your eventual choice. Hard to go wrong, IMO.

slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 11:55 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

2009 34' Panamerica
2008 22' Safari
Metro Detroit Area & Metro Dallas Area , Michigan & Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamuJoe
Though you did not state the year, your Sequoia will be somewhat like a Tundra in towing -- provided you have towing package. I strongly suggest contacting Andy Tomson of CanAm RV in London, Ontario, Canada. Andy will guide you on towing and specific hitch solutions unique to YOUR needs. He's THE guru on towing!! Google his You Tube videos -- you can tow a 31' AS with a Taurus. He personally set up my Tundra to SAFELY tow my PanAm.
Urbanologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 07:09 AM   #10
4 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Pearland , Texas
I definitely don't question the power and abilities of the Sequoia. The 5.7L has more than enough power and easily tows my 25' FC. Wish I got that kind of mpg in my tundra. Maybe I could of I stayed out of the pedal but that motor just begs to go.

When I've double checked actual mileage versus the computer, the computer was always high by 1mpg or so. So pretty close.
Old 08-05-2012, 12:10 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

2009 34' Panamerica
2008 22' Safari
Metro Detroit Area & Metro Dallas Area , Michigan & Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamuJoe
One major point for everyone: It is hard to fairly discuss mileage because of multiple factors being different in everyone driving style, location and elevation, and trans/differential combo. Not to mention not properly resetting the mileage computer. Further, the Sequoia and Tundra packages are available at different trim levels. A major point also is longevity and resale value of each vehicle relative to each other. Some on this thread are driving "work" trucks -- a Sequoia is MUCH more luxury, in general, than a 4-Runner. In closing, it's like art -- buy what you like -- and can afford -- to feed. Tow with safety in mind, because STOPPING is vastly more important than brute force off the line! Stay safe!!
Urbanologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 04:29 PM   #12

2007 25' Safari SS SE
Panama City Beach , Florida
2008 Toyota Sequioa 5.7 with towing package

We bought our 2008 Toyota Sequioa used, specifically to tow our 25' FB. Love the Sequioa! Easily tows the Airstream (we have a Hensley hitch) however, we are Florida based and haven't done big mountains. About 15 trips through the southeast with about 11 MPG towing 14 MPG in the city and 18-19 MPG on the highway. We have two kids and a boxer and there is plenty of room for everyone. It is very comfortable!
jdslprater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 06:06 PM   #13
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Joe,

A Sequoia should easily tow your trailer. We have a Tundra with the same running gear (5.7 L engine, 6 speed transmission, 4wd) and it easily tows our 25'. A pickup allows you to put a lot of dirty stuff in the bed (extra gas, sewer stuff, hitch parts, generator, etc.) that you may not want to put in the back of an SUV. The Sequoia is luxury, but you can get a Tundra similarly set up, though it may not be quite as comfy. The Tundra rides very smoothly and though the SR5 seats aren't great, sheepskins solved that (a lot cheaper than the lux trim lines).

The gas read out in ours runs 1 to 2 mpg higher than reality (same in our '06 4Runner). We get 10.5 towing, 16-17 not. We live at the other end of the same county as Jason at 6,800', so mileage is roughly similar except I've never gotten over 18 anywhere. Your trailer is lighter than ours, but heavier than Jason's, so you might come out in the middle.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 06:11 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene
Joe,

A Sequoia should easily tow your trailer. We have a Tundra with the same running gear (5.7 L engine, 6 speed transmission, 4wd) and it easily tows our 25'. A pickup allows you to put a lot of dirty stuff in the bed (extra gas, sewer stuff, hitch parts, generator, etc.) that you may not want to put in the back of an SUV. The Sequoia is luxury, but you can get a Tundra similarly set up, though it may not be quite as comfy. The Tundra rides very smoothly and though the SR5 seats aren't great, sheepskins solved that (a lot cheaper than the lux trim lines).

The gas read out in ours runs 1 to 2 mpg higher than reality (same in our '06 4Runner). We get 10.5 towing, 16-17 not. We live at the other end of the same county as Jason at 6,800', so mileage is roughly similar except I've never gotten over 18 anywhere. Your trailer is lighter than ours, but heavier than Jason's, so you might come out in the middle.

Gene
That's because you don't have that 2000 foot drop in 11 miles. . The kids push the sequoia back up.

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
Old 08-05-2012, 06:15 PM   #15
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Yeh, Jason, only something like 1,500' in 14 miles to Hotchkiss. When we run into a cattle drive, we just rope one and she'll pull us back.

Gene
Old 08-05-2012, 06:40 PM   #16
Rivet Master

I am going to replace my 2000 diesel Excursion soon. The power train will never die but it is going into the shop for the second round of power windows work and I am getting tired of fixing the little things.
I am looking at Toyota Sequoias and am seriously considering one if I can overcome the sticker shock.
My question to the Sequoia owners who have kindly written in on this thread is about steep curvy, downhill performance, what about it? My last short wheelbase SUV performed alarmly in this test. I was under the tow rating for the SUV but every time I descended a steep, curvy downhill, it was unpleasant, even with after market sway control. Granted this was a S.O.B. travel trailer with leaf springs and the aerodynamics of a brick.
I live in Colorado so we are talking about 7% + downhills and 35 mph or lower rated hairpins at the end of long straight aways.
Second question conerns brakes. Tundra owners have complained about rotar warpage. Is this a problem? Have TRD rotars solved the problem.
My Ex had this problem, which was solved by aftermarket slotted racing rotars.
I am a leadfoot and drive a lot in the mountains so I am not your average flat land user.
The only reason I am considering a short wheelbase 1/2 ton SUV is that my Airstream is puny, 25 feet and 6300 gvw.
handn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 07:24 PM   #17
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Since the Tundra and Sequoia are basically the same vehicle with a different body, brakes should be the same. Because electric drum brakes aren't very good, the truck brakes have to do more work. It is best to downshift going downhill to save the brakes from overheating. Overheating will eventually warp rotors and we replaced ours at around 65,000 miles (around 40,000 miles towing). Living in Colorado we are very familiar with long, steep, curving roads. Rotors aren't very expensive and the labor to replace them is pretty fast, so this is not such a big deal.

It looks like you have the same trailer we have, so the experience should be similar. A panic stop can warp rotors on a flat highway, so it can happen to any vehicle.

Rotors were made thinner in recent years hoping that would reduce warping because thin was thought to mean the rotors would dissipate heat faster, but it didn't work. The new ones were the thickest I could get on the aftermarket.

Gene
Old 08-05-2012, 08:07 PM   #18
4 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Pearland , Texas
I know I'm rough on my trucks. Living in Houston, I live in traffic and I have a heavy foot. I had a '07 Tundra SR5 4x4 and I replaced the rotors at 45k miles and now I've got an '11 Tundra Limited 4x4 with 40k miles and I'm starting to feel it. Getting ready to replace them.
Old 08-05-2012, 10:18 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
I replaced mine at 65,000 also.

But never felt out of control going down hill. Even coming off either side of the grand Mesa. And if you have been over it you know how steep and windy it is. No problems over red Mt pass either. I down shift and don't have to ride the breaks to much. Never felt like I'm being pushed at all.

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
Old 08-06-2012, 01:05 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2006 22' International CCD
2007 Base Camp
Elk Valley , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by handn View Post
My question to the Sequoia owners who have kindly written in on this thread is about steep curvy, downhill performance, what about it? My last short wheelbase SUV performed alarmly in this test. I was under the tow rating for the SUV but every time I descended a steep, curvy downhill, it was unpleasant, even with after market sway control. Granted this was a S.O.B. travel trailer with leaf springs and the aerodynamics of a brick.
There are a couple of things I'll comment on... I also have replaced the rotors/pad on my Sequoia which were getting a bit wobbly when they got hot. There was just under 100,000km (60,000 miles) when I did the front, and I will likely do the back next. You can get cheap rotors online and they are fairly straight-forward as any other disc replacement is. The TRD kit is more than just rotors - it's a kit with new calipers, braided lines and slotted/driller rotors. It would be an excellent upgrade, but is also ~$2000.

For the short-wheel base issue... I can say that I experience none of the quirky crap that I did with my 4runner. The Sequoia has a very short overhang on the back, so you get a lot more weight over the axle than some SUV's that are stretched on the back to make more cargo space. With my lighter 22', I find weight-distribution to be unnecessary, but a 25' has a much higher tongue weight.

The new Sequoia even has trailer-sway control built into the stability control... though you'll find much better deals on a used one.

I'd buy another Sequoia in a heartbeat... we wasted a lot of time and money trying to make smaller options fit... my wife was originally a bit intimidated by the size, but she loves it now. It turns tighter than my Tacoma did...
Friday is offline   Reply With Quote