Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-12-2006, 03:07 PM   #1

Currently Looking...
San Luis Obispo , California
Toyota Sequoia as Tow Vehicle

I'm wondering if anyone out there has experience with a Sequoia as a tow vehicle for a 28' Safari. It's an '04, 4WD with the tow package. I understand its puishing the max limits...but don't want this issue getting in the way of the trailer I want. I will probably purchase a diesel PU truck, but for now the Sequoia will have to do.
Thegman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 05:45 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Sunnyvale , California
Send a message via AIM to Condoluminum
Use the "Search" feature

Welcome, and now that you've registered, you have access to search capabilities.. In blue bar above, click on search, and then type in key words like Toyota and Sequoia and Tow and see what you get...

I predict general thinking here is that you could use that truck to tow trailer around a parking lot, or home from local dealer, or across the street to a local park, but any long distance towing would not work out. Problems include wheelbase (too short) weight of truck (too light) and tow capacity of fully loaded 28' trailer (too heavy).. I'm speculating, but you might also find frame hitch won't handle gross weight or tongue weight either... The 28' Safari is long, heavy and needs a substantial tow vehicle to make it go safely.. If you're committed to existing truck, start smaller and less new, and then upgrade when you feel comfy upgrading the truck as well.. Lots of people happily tow Bambi 19's with that truck, or even 22's...

All that said, members here share opinions as well as fact, and mix in feelings from time to time.. They're worth what you pay to read them... You are free to read sad stories and try to create your own special memories...

John McG

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Condoluminum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 06:28 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Huntington Beach , California
Right on

Quote:
Originally Posted by Condoluminum

I predict general thinking here is that you could use that truck to tow trailer around a parking lot, or home from local dealer, or across the street to a local park, but any long distance towing would not work out. Problems include wheelbase (too short) weight of truck (too light) and tow capacity of fully loaded 28' trailer (too heavy).. I'm speculating, but you might also find frame hitch won't handle gross weight or tongue weight either... The 28' Safari is long, heavy and needs a substantial tow vehicle to make it go safely.. If you're committed to existing truck, start smaller and less new, and then upgrade when you feel comfy upgrading the truck as well.. Lots of people happily tow Bambi 19's with that truck, or even 22's...

John McG
Thegman,

Condoluminum is right on the money....

John
TIMEMACHINE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 06:38 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1978 24' Argosy 24
Woodinville , Washington
John's right, "Toyota Sequoia" in the search engine turns up a lot of threads like this one:

http://www.airforums.com/forum...toyota+sequoia

We're pushing the limit with our GMC Safari van and a '78 Argosy 24. It's not a great deal of fun having a marginal tow vehicle but, with careful attention to the set-up and driving slowly it's OK. It was a real treat last trip to borrow a Chevy Tahoe. It makes for a much more relaxing drive.

I think the Tahoe is close in capacity to your Sequoia. It was great for a vintage '24 trailer. I'd even venture a guess it'd do fine with a newer 25' Airstream but a 28' would be past marginal. As John mentioned, check your hitch. If it's a class III then no way should you attempt to tow the 28'.

-Bernie
bhayden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 06:38 PM   #5

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
I agree with the others. A Srquoia is very marginal at best when mated to a 28' Airstream. This combination will not be a pleasant long distance experience. A 28' really needs a 3/4 ton tow vehicle of some kind.
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 08:07 PM   #6

Currently Looking...
Question

Thanks all for the feedback. No surprises here, I knew I was trying to push a square peg into a round hole! The 28' AS works best for me and my family with 3 kids, so the determining factor is the TV. I just wish the new Toyota Sequoia (on the '07 Tundra platform) would be available sooner rather than later. I owned a '99 Suburban prior to the Sequoia, and the Toyota is a far superior vehicle overall. Obviously the new '07 Burbs are much improved...just have to convince the wife! Any opinions re: 1500 vs. 2500?
Old 10-12-2006, 08:50 PM   #7

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Absolutely, positively a 2500! A 1500 Suburban has coil rear springs like a car for that soft soccer mom ride (not a plus for towing). The 2500 has rear leaf springs as in a truck.
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
Old 10-12-2006, 09:11 PM   #8

Currently Looking...
Moosetags...you have a problem with that "soft soccer mom ride?"
Old 10-12-2006, 09:20 PM   #9
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Without question....2500. I love our 2004 that was before the new remake. It's been totally trouble free and one of the most impressive tow vehicles, or vehicles in general I have ever owned (and I've had 5 so far) that are domestic.

Now as I say that, keep in mind that our 2004 (and could also still be the case in the current model year) and 2500 Suburbans are put together in Mexico, not the US, where all the rest of my vehicles were assembled which may account for no fit, finish or other issues........

A bit over 2 years of ownership and it's like it was the day we took it off the showroom floor.
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 10:21 PM   #10

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
The soccer mom ride is for soccer moms, not towing 6000# Airstreams. So, to answer the question, I guess I do have a problem with a soft coil spring ride when it comes to heavy duty towing.

My '05 2500 Quadrasteer was assembled in Arlington, Texas. My prior '01 2500 was assembled in Mexico. I don't know if all the '05 2500s were built in Texas or just the Quadrasteers.
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
Old 10-12-2006, 10:48 PM   #11
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thegman
I'm wondering if anyone out there has experience with a Sequoia as a tow vehicle for a 28' Safari. It's an '04, 4WD with the tow package. I understand its puishing the max limits...but don't want this issue getting in the way of the trailer I want. I will probably purchase a diesel PU truck, but for now the Sequoia will have to do.
hi thegman and welcome to the forums....

i'm a big fan of finding the airstream you really really want...

then getting the proper t.v. for it...

the 28 ft safaris are gonna weigh in fully loaded with supplies for your family of 5? at nearly 7300lbs right ?

your suv is rated to 6500 or less...and really once people, fuel, gear, options and stuff are IN the t.v....much less. and don't forget the hitch!

so you aren't pushing the max, you are over it....significantly.

and it really isn't about the quality of a toyota or how slow you will move forward...

it's about stopping turning, traffic, panic moves and so on...

its about tires and wheels that are over the limits,
brakes that are over the limits, axles, springs and trannys...
and so on...

it's about the safety of your family and everyone else on the highways....

there are lots of great threads here on towing needs...

no the touareg will not work...
no a range rover will not work...
no the current tundra will not work...
the nissans will be marginal too...

they've all been tried,
the post are here,
the math will confirm,
not enough truck!

you should be looking at a t.v. with a towing capacity of 10,000lbs!

why? because even 5 tons drops significantly as gear and people are filling the t.v....

and towing AT the limit isn't the goal...being safely under capacity is the goal...

some reserve means safety

and extra capacity is 'just enough' during emergencies...

so find a good 3/4 ton truck, used but with a diesel means lots of life left...

ford, dodge or the other one...but really 3/4 ton.

a nice used excursion would work great AND have room for the children...

a crew cab truck would too...lots of diesel options there too....and bargains.

sure you could wait for a new tundra.
the 07s will just handle your 28 footer...but where will the kids ride?
and these will not be discount priced...

the folks here who have finally moved to a 3/4 ton
for trailers this size all report the difference...
and the improved towing...
all of 'em...

you will too.

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 11:57 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

1994 34' Excella
Arabela , New Mexico
Regarding what you want to use as the TV ...

First of all THESE people here on the forum Know their stuff...I was in a similiar situation that you are embarking on...I have a 87 Toy..Landcruiser (which is currently enjoying just sitting in my garage)...and I contemplated towing the Bambi..(which is about the limit on my TV at the time)..a 23 footer right over the limit..but the one we have held out for...(And dont have yet is the 25 footer or maybe a 28 footer)..I have posed many questions to my fellow forum "gurus"...and have taken their advice that pretty much was...
Once you get the Horse then you worry about the cart and not the other way around...Bottom line...I have a 2006 F-250 Powerstroke FX4 Shortbed.sitting in my driveway (wont fit in my garage, plus that darn Landcruiser is sitting in there) ..still waiting for that Ideal Airstream....and believe me I have been looking but you have to exercise patience and research to get the right "Fit"...Hope that gives some perspective from someone that has been yearning to join the rest of the Airstream Nation....Ernesto
ernesto ca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 11:15 AM   #13

Currently Looking...
Thanks everyone for your feedback...all extremely valuable and I will use the information to help make decisions going forward. I'm of the opinion that when it comes to TV capacity as it relates to safety and handling, it's OK to "cut butter with a chainsaw."

I'll update the forum with my progress.