Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-21-2016, 07:49 PM   #21
Rivet Master

It's not an Airstream and this is not my setup, but I think you get the point.

I had an FJ80 and towed a trailer with for many years with no problems, had the "Old Man EMU" Suspension setup on it. Heavy springs in the rear, medium springs in the front. Gave the truck a slight lift in the rear with no squat (leveled out) when 400lbs of trailer weight hooked up.

ARB Old Man Emu 4X4 SuspensionARB Old Man Emu 4X4 Suspension

Enjoy,
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0106a.JPG
Views:	792
Size:	45.6 KB
ID:	256051  
Old 07-22-2016, 11:46 AM   #22
2 Rivet Member

2014 16' Sport
Denver , Colorado
Just adding to this thread. Love our LC 200 as a tow vehicle. Upgraded from the 4.7L V8 4Runner and it has made a world of difference. Comparing the 4.7 to the 5.7 is night and day. We tow at high elevation up steep hills and while we got a little bogged down in the 4Runner, the LC is hardly challenged at all.

SkyDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 07:06 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
1985 to 2008 Land Cruisers... keep under 23 feet if possible

I have owned a number of Land Cruisers from 1985 to 2008. They began to 'balloon' in size over the years and powered by the straight SIX, to the V-8 4.7L and today, the V-8 5.7L. The LC has plenty of towing power. But lacks cargo capability.

The Land Cruiser transmission is considered one of the world's best and the mechanics in the transmission business say if they had to depend on repairing those transmissions to make a living... they would be out of business.

Tire pressure on our current 2008, P275/65R18 LTX/AT2 Michelins recommended at 33psi and rated for 1230 pounds of cargo. I believe we are at 45psi.

I wanted the LT tires, but neither Costco or Toyota would install them and the P tires were considered the best we could do. Other than going somewhere else for tires, I am satisfied with the tires. A firm ride use to come with the LC, or at least the older models. This 2008 is a soft SUV all time 4x4 today and there has been no changes that I am aware up to date.

Pulling a trailer on flat terrain with the LC would never be an issue, but the cargo limitations is what would put a 'pinch' in your plans. There is a 2" hitch... but even I found it risky pulling our 23 footer at the time with the 2006 4.7L Tundra as the tow vehicle, but it did the job very well. I had to be very careful with the cargo on board.

Even the 2012 5.7L Tundra has just a couple hundred pounds more cargo maximum and I am sure towing the 25 foot Airstream... we were never 'under loaded'. Once on the road we never had a towing issue at any speed. The rear suspension would be at its limits and even with the Equalizer hitch getting the rear end up just a bit.

I had intended to use the LC towing East of the Front Range and our Tundra to tow West of the Front Range. That never happened. The Tundra was better suited for towing, but limited again by the cargo maximum.

A 23 foot would be the longest Airstream I would consider pulling with a 5.7L Land Cruiser. The LC was built to travel anywhere, through some of the worst snows around here you can imagine... but for towing, no suspension to support the cargo and tailer.

I recall fully loading the 1985 LC with the straight V8 camping in Utah. The engine would almost stall going up a steep grade, off road, and I would have to shift into LOW 4x4. The 5.7L would not hesitate.

It would be nice if you could use the LC for towing and for local driving, but after considering everything, I just could not follow through with the towing and local driving plan.

I waited for ten years for a 3/4 ton Tundra... and gave up waiting. I now have a F350 Ford diesel that will handle everything and more. My wife loves her LC and it will last as long as we live. It just will not be towing any of our Airstreams.
Old 08-05-2016, 10:41 AM   #24
1 Rivet Member

2016 23' Flying Cloud
Seattle , Washington
Thanks for the great information

I want to thank everyone for the LC information, especially the recent post from Rivet Master. My wife and I decided to purchase a used 2008, 5.7L LC this past spring and we have had great experiences towing our new Flying Cloud 23FB. I also decided that the 23 is as big as I would want to go with the LC. Since our purchase of the LC and the AS we have put on about 2,000 miles including a two-week trip from Seattle to Helena and Ennis, MT. On that trip we had a good chance to test our setup over several mountain passes, curving roads and in windy, rainy weather. Both the TV and the AS performed flawlessly. Further, since we live in the city of Seattle we are more comfortable with the LC as a second car than we would be with a pickup.

I agree that storage is limited in the LC versus a pickup. However, it also looks like we won't be doing much boon docking, so no need for a generator. So far, with just my wife, our 70-pound Lab and me we have plenty of room. And I still have the option of putting the rocket box on top of the LC, which I haven't needed so far. We are looking forward to a three-week, 2,300-mile trip to Montana, Reno and back along the Pacific Coast this fall.
SEA Cyclist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 07:41 PM   #25
4 Rivet Member

2007 23' Safari SE
Annandale , New Jersey
Wondering if any of those on the board who tow with an LC have the molded extended tow mirrors.
Have tried to find some for my 2006LC and unable to find any.
Fred L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 11:41 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2007 27' International CCD FB
San Diego , California
To update my previous posts, I've since purchased a 27FB and have been towing it with my 200-series. This is paired with a Equilizer with 1000lb bars. Tows well and stable.

Note that my 200-series is a LX570, which has AHC hydraulic suspension fitted. It accommodates the large tongue weight just fine. And the dynamic dampening system makes the ride silky, while keeps large suspension motions well under control.

The standard sprung Land Cruiser has softer non-adaptable springs and dampers as it's meant for off-road articulation. Anecdotal reports suggest that one towing at the upper end of the spectrum should add airbags, or change to higher rate springs (of which there are many many options). Note that the platform is heavy duty in regards to frame/driveline/suspension and able to support higher loads with minor tweaks. There are official GVWR upgrades in Australia that involve nothing more than springs. Land Cruisers have a reputation of being configured to the 7000-8000lb curb weight range with ballistic or off-road armor, and still prove to be durable for many many miles, off-road no less.

Key to a good setup is also adequate WD. Need to keep the front axle loads balanced to the correct attitude and ride height or the loss of caster will make the steering feel twitchy.

LT tires are also a good upgrade for the stronger sidewalls to minimize any chance of sway.

Name:	airstream1.jpg
Views:	660
Size:	254.1 KB
ID:	293134
pteck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 11:51 PM   #27
Rivet Master

San Diego , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred L View Post
Wondering if any of those on the board who tow with an LC have the molded extended tow mirrors.
Have tried to find some for my 2006LC and unable to find any.
Several have gotten these mirrors from Australia:
http://www.clearviewmirrors.com.au/1...ER-200-SERIES/

I personally just use add on mirrors as I like several features integrated in the stock side mirrors: puddle lights, heated, auto-down in reverse, folding, and curb camera.

Dometic DM-2912 Milenco Grand Aero3:

Name:	airstream2.jpg
Views:	447
Size:	376.1 KB
ID:	293135
Old 08-04-2019, 10:41 AM   #28
3 Rivet Member

2019 23' Flying Cloud
West Sacramento , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEA Cyclist View Post
I want to thank everyone for the LC information, especially the recent post from Rivet Master. My wife and I decided to purchase a used 2008, 5.7L LC this past spring and we have had great experiences towing our new Flying Cloud 23FB. I also decided that the 23 is as big as I would want to go with the LC. Since our purchase of the LC and the AS we have put on about 2,000 miles including a two-week trip from Seattle to Helena and Ennis, MT. On that trip we had a good chance to test our setup over several mountain passes, curving roads and in windy, rainy weather. Both the TV and the AS performed flawlessly. Further, since we live in the city of Seattle we are more comfortable with the LC as a second car than we would be with a pickup.

I agree that storage is limited in the LC versus a pickup. However, it also looks like we won't be doing much boon docking, so no need for a generator. So far, with just my wife, our 70-pound Lab and me we have plenty of room. And I still have the option of putting the rocket box on top of the LC, which I haven't needed so far. We are looking forward to a three-week, 2,300-mile trip to Montana, Reno and back along the Pacific Coast this fall.

Curious how that combination went towing over HWY 80 over Reno and down along the coast?
Brandon T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 11:10 AM   #29
2 Rivet Member

2017 19' International
2018 25' Flying Cloud
Monrovia , California
Very nice to read a thread about using the LC /LX570 as a tow vehicle. We tow our 19’ AS with the LX 570. Consider the propane converted Honda 2200i with MicroAir if you ever need a generator. You can run it off the LP quick disconnect with the proper hose. The mirrors we use are Dometic Melinco, they clamp onto the existing mirrors. They are stable and are adjusted once for initial fit with minor adjustments as needed.
Kay0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2021, 10:58 PM   #30
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
We just acquired a 2021 Toyota Silver Land Cruiser (built in December of 2020) to tow our 2015 23D International Serenity. The 2021 model year is the last year of the 200 series Land Cruiser production for the United States.

Our 2007 Mercedes ML320 CDI diesel was dying last year and this is the final choice to be it's replacement.

All of the usual numbers for trailer related limitations are spelled out in the LC owners manuals except an official tongue weight ratings. The manual specifies a maximum trailer weight of 8,100 pounds and a maximum combined weight of 14,400 pounds. Our weight issue for our 23D was not the actual 6,069 pound gross trailer weight but the 920 pound tongue weight.

Our usual stuff in the Mercedes was a small grill, some trailer tools and fittings, a small 12Vdc air compressor kit and a couple of chairs. All else was inside the trailer.

If we also want the proverbial "kitchen sink" for a trip, we take the Ram and Classic and anything else we want for our trip.

Our LC load capacity after deducting the 23D tongue weight still allows for over 275 pounds for my wife and stuff using the GVW or 795 pounds before the axles would be overloaded. This calculation is before the weight distribution setup sends mass forward and rearward.

The ancient style stingers for the Hensley Arrow are only offered in 2' increments of drop so one often ends up being off by plus or minus one inch. I am thinking about a 3" lift for the 23D along with going to a ProPride hitch to replace the Hensley Arrow. We would need two stingers, one for the Land Cruiser and one for our 2012 Ram 2500HD that usually tows our 31' Classic as well as the 23D.

We will be adding a 12.5 gallon Australian auxiliary gasoline tank above the spare to counteract the meager fuel milage. I have been told that about 3 gallons of the stock 24.5 gallon gasoline tank is inaccessible to keep the fuel pump from over heating. We are starting research on improving the rear suspension as I know it will sag. Our Ram has had a level ride air suspension since new so there was never a sag regardless of the load.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2021, 08:54 AM   #31
1 Rivet Member

2016 23' Flying Cloud
Seattle , Washington
Land Cruiser and air bags

We have now had our 23FB and 2008 LC for five years. We have put on 15,000 miles in the west with several trips to MT (daughter), Reno (son) and up and down the coast. We really love our setup. However, I did install air bags in the rear springs three years ago which gives us a smoother ride. Our only remaining complaint is the small gas tank which has not limited our trip options, it just means more stops along the way.
SEA Cyclist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2021, 02:50 PM   #32
Rivet Master

1966 17' Caravel
1972 21' Globetrotter
SW , Missouri
The 08 LC has a cargo capacity of 1500 pounds right? Or do I have bad data?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2021-03-19_15-48.png
Views:	86
Size:	70.5 KB
ID:	391132  
Peter417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2021, 05:42 PM   #33
Rivet Master

San Diego , California
Great table you have there. Yes, payload is accurate.

If you're interested in documenting, the later 2016+ LC/LX got the addition of 8-speed trannies and incrementally bigger brakes. Not that the 6-speeds aren't capable, as they tow incredibly well. Just that dollop of additional low end gearing and capability on top that would be useful if towing on the highest end.

Notably, the LC variant has on paper a higher payload. In practice, the LX is superior in handling higher payload stock with its hydraulic suspension system to around 1800lbs. Better control, stability, without sag. Most LCs that run beyond 1300lbs, particularly with additional installed accessory weight, prefer to modify with higher rate springs and dampers. The platform is capable of additional capacity with appropriate suspension modifications as evidenced by United Nations unfitting, worldwide use for armored builds, and Australian engineered and approved GVM upgrades with not much more than uprated suspensions.
Old 03-20-2021, 12:19 PM   #34
1 Rivet Member

2018 27' Globetrotter
Annapolis , Maryland
We love our Landcruiser

We tow our 27' Globetrotter with a 2018 Land Cruiser and have been fine. We were absolute newbies and not very handy... The first year we learned the hard way that our hitch was not installed correctly. Thankfully, we did not end up in a massive wreck and Colonial Airstream fixed our issue. Basically, the AS was riding way too low. So, I would just make sure you have a shop that really knows how to install the hitch.

We were maxed out with the weight on the Globetrotter, but we did two cross country trips on lots of backroads and up over many mountain passes (like Monarch Pass in Colorado at 11,000+ feet) and did just fine.

In other words, we love towing our Airstream with our Land Cruiser
ChappysGoing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2021, 03:09 PM   #35
Rivet Master

1966 17' Caravel
1972 21' Globetrotter
SW , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by pteck View Post
Great table you have there. Yes, payload is accurate.

If you're interested in documenting, the later 2016+ LC/LX got the addition of 8-speed trannies and incrementally bigger brakes. Not that the 6-speeds aren't capable, as they tow incredibly well. Just that dollop of additional low end gearing and capability on top that would be useful if towing on the highest end.

Notably, the LC variant has on paper a higher payload. In practice, the LX is superior in handling higher payload stock with its hydraulic suspension system to around 1800lbs. Better control, stability, without sag. Most LCs that run beyond 1300lbs, particularly with additional installed accessory weight, prefer to modify with higher rate springs and dampers. The platform is capable of additional capacity with appropriate suspension modifications as evidenced by United Nations unfitting, worldwide use for armored builds, and Australian engineered and approved GVM upgrades with not much more than uprated suspensions.

I always appreciate your posts on the 200 series. We are still a few years out from our 200 series purchase. Covid pushed that back but we will get there. Can you discuss the reduced towing capacity/cargo of the 2013+ LX? Also do you foresee any long term reliability issues with the 8 speed transmission found in the newer 200 series?
Old 03-20-2021, 03:10 PM   #36
Rivet Master

1966 17' Caravel
1972 21' Globetrotter
SW , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChappysGoing View Post
We tow our 27' Globetrotter with a 2018 Land Cruiser and have been fine. We were absolute newbies and not very handy... The first year we learned the hard way that our hitch was not installed correctly. Thankfully, we did not end up in a massive wreck and Colonial Airstream fixed our issue. Basically, the AS was riding way too low. So, I would just make sure you have a shop that really knows how to install the hitch.

We were maxed out with the weight on the Globetrotter, but we did two cross country trips on lots of backroads and up over many mountain passes (like Monarch Pass in Colorado at 11,000+ feet) and did just fine.

In other words, we love towing our Airstream with our Land Cruiser
I would love to see some pictures of your setup all hitched up.
Old 03-20-2021, 03:45 PM   #37
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
My 2007 Mercedes ML320 CDI died last summer (2020) at 205,000 miles from a common issue that occurs every 75,000 miles or so on most of the 3.0L V6 Mercedes turbo Diesel engines that generate at least a $3,500 repair bill. My wife's 2009 E320 CDI at 70,000 miles was starting tell tale signs of the issue. The ML had been set up in 2012 to tow our first Airstream, a 2013 25FB International Serenity with a Hensley Arrow hitch. Towing home to Phoenix from Los Angles with a new empty trailer was great, even climbing out of Palm Springs I maintained the 55 mph speed limit with no issues using 4th gear. After loading the 25FB for camping, the Mercedes was not so happy and we added a 2012 Ram 2500HD Cummins. We traded the 25FB in for our 2014 31' Classic and kept the Hensley Arrow but put a ProPride on the Classic. The truck also has a Hensley stinger to tow the 23D.

In 2015 I picked up our 2015 23D International Serenity in New Jersey using the Mercedes ML, installed the old Hensley Arrow and put on 15" tires and wheels. After Andy Thompson fine tuned the rig, it was a perfect match up to the end and we towed at 55 mph.

So we acquired a 2020 Toyota RAV4 Limited hybrid 4x4 for my wife and I went with a 2020 Highlander Platinum 4x4 with V6 gas thinking I could massage it to tow the 23D. That was a pipe dream. So we used the truck for a couple of 23D trips.

We really wanted a more user friendly tow vehicle for the 23D that would be easy to get around in the small towns and off road and not another pickup truck.

I went back to Toyota to look around and they had a December 2020 build 2021 Silver Land Cruiser with brown leather interior. Told salesman I'd call back in the morning after chatting with my wife. Signed gobs of paperwork the next day. Ten minutes after saying yes on the phone, there were five more callers wanting that vehicle. The last of the 200 series Land Cruisers come off the line on 31 March 2021. No conversation if the 300 series would ever get to come to the USA market. They sold only about 4,000 Land Cruisers last year in the states.

After extensive reading and talking with non-dealer experts, the short "need to order" list is being implemented. I have Firestone air bags coming that fit inside each of the rear springs with a manual fill or deflate. I have a Tuson DL 200NE brake controller coming like I have in the truck. I have a ProPride hitch coming because it is continuously adjustable versus the Hensley 2" increments. I have an Australian 12.5 glean auxiliary gas tank coming that will fit above the spare tire.

The 23D numbers fall within all of the published numbers in the owner's manual. The airbags will offset the usual sag one expects in the suspension when a trailer is attached. Once the Hensley is removed and the ProPride is installed, we will adjust and cut off some part of the stinger that goes into the Land Cruiser to get the trailer closer to the tow vehicle and yet be able to open the rear bottom door.

Looking forward to a great towing experience with the ability to take the 23D off road after it is raised 3" and we put disc brakes on it.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
Old 03-20-2021, 10:32 PM   #38
Rivet Master

San Diego , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter417 View Post
I always appreciate your posts on the 200 series. We are still a few years out from our 200 series purchase. Covid pushed that back but we will get there. Can you discuss the reduced towing capacity/cargo of the 2013+ LX? Also do you foresee any long term reliability issues with the 8 speed transmission found in the newer 200 series?
Thanks and I'd be happy to.

I assume you're talking about the tow rating drop from the earlier 2008-2010 LX570s rated at 8,500 lbs? To the later 2011+ rated at 7,000 lbs?

It's likely due to one or both of the following
1) GVWR 7385 lbs - this is common to the 200-series platforms, LC and LX. The LX can weigh upwards of 300-500 lbs more than the LC, with later model years gaining even more accouterments/weight. With factory curb weights in the ~6200 range, I believe they had to reduce towing capacity to keep within GVWR.
2) Toyota/Lexus adopted the SAE J2807 tow rating standard across their vehicles around this time frame. Many of their models had their tow ratings derated as a result, including the Tundra. Nothing materially changed with the models, only the methodology was different. Perhaps to accommodate some of the math in #1.

Commenting from real world experience, the platform is conservatively rated and when setup properly with a dialed in WD hitch, performs admirably.
Old 03-21-2021, 12:11 PM   #39
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
Note that the 2021 Land Cruiser is rated to tow a 8,100 pound trailer. At that weight of trailer. the numbers get challenging to fit the specifications.

Also, the 200 series Land Cruiser ceases world wide production on 31 March 2021. The March production is all allocated and some dealers are getting $10K over list. When I got to the dealer on 11 March 2021, the dealer had received six more calls to buy what became our Land Cruiser. Silver was evidently not a high build volume color.

There are some photos of a possible 300 series mule in "drag" in Japan. Not sure if it will make to the US. Only 4,000 were sold in the US in 2020.

Old 03-21-2021, 01:01 PM   #40
Rivet Master

1966 17' Caravel
1972 21' Globetrotter
SW , Missouri
Does anyone remember what the 2011-2013 LC/LX story was? Was that the end of the US lc as well? There is no way the landcruiser name can be gone for long. The offroad thing is pretty hot right now.