Old 01-06-2016, 12:22 PM   #15
Flying Cloud 27
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Union Hall , Virginia
I tow my FC 27 with a 2015 Sequoia.....does a great job. Mileage is around 10.5 across flats and mountains.

smlbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 01:24 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member
2005 25' Safari
Springville , Alabama
I have a 2002 Lexus LX 470 (land cruiser equivalent) with a tow capacity rated at 6,500 lbs). I pulled a 2005 25 ft Safari (5,200 lbs.) for a year or so with it. Most accurate description is that it would pull it ok, but not pull it well. RPMs at cruising speed of 65 mph usually around 3,200. Struggled a bit on mountain hills. I switched to a GMC half ton pickup, and it does a much better job, and cruising speed rpm around 1,800. I love my LX 470 and have kept it, but prefer to pull with the pickup. But would not hesitate to pull again with the 470 if I needed to.

driftwood1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 06:18 PM   #17
1 Rivet Member
San Diego , California
The OP is looking a 200-series so it has the benefit of the 5.7L tundra motor so power won't be an issue.

For those discussing the 100-series (98-2007) model, it's important to understand some of the significant milestones of the model and how that pertains to towing experience.

In regards to stability for the 100-series, all the experiences are relevant for that model as the architecture and suspension is largely the same during the generation.

Towing power wise, the 100-series went from a 4-speed tranny to a 5-speed in '03 onwards. Then it got a significant power upgrade in the form of VVTi in the '06/'07 models. It's a heavy vehicle so each power upgrade helps significantly.
pteck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 06:41 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member
2016 30' International
Sewickley , Pennsylvania
Wow... suddenly a bunch of Land Cruiser fans (including some that tow their ASs) have come out of the woodwork.. awesome! We have an '09 200 and had been trying to figure out what size AS we could tow safely. I got lots of opinions but only a few folks who had actually used them to tow. Most said 23' or smaller. That's too small for what we're wanting to do. We finally said "screw it" and put an order in on a 30'. Planning to reluctantly buy a HD truck but I have a buddy who is hellbent on convincing me to at least try towing with the LC first.

I'll be watching this thread closely. I will say that I finally looked at our payload on the door the other day and it's only 1250 lbs or so. I think the factory specs said 1500+.

LCs are amazing vehicles though. We are on our second with a Sienna in between.

Seinbelld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 12:06 PM   #19
1 Rivet Member
San Diego , California
Some more information that might be helpful.

The LC across its many generations, including the newest has had a wheelbase of 112.2". This is not huge by truck standards. It's saving grace are a number of things: relatively shorter rear overhang, wide stance, heavy duty (bordering on severe duty construction - hence it's the NATO vehicle of choice) compared even full size trucks, and mass.

The payloads are generally a function of the suspension fitted, as they are primarily setup for soft rides and articulation off road. This is a contrast to most trucks again that are predominantly setup for weight bearing. There are many configuration setup to handle considerably more weight with exactly the same hardware, save increased rate springs.

Minor tweaks in the setup should see it being able to hand much more trailer and weight. I've done 1000lb hitch weights with mine without any sag, with the benefit of AHC suspension fitted to some models.

I personally would feel very comfortable with a 25' AS. Exceeding that may warrant a more sophisticated anti-sway like a prodigy if only to account for the shorter wheelbase.
pteck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 05:14 PM   #20
1 Rivet Member

2016 30' Flying Cloud
Dallas , Texas

Here is a picture of my setup. It's not very good, I know but this is not my season for towing. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1453421658.625032.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	40.8 KB
ID:	256038

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
TXWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 07:49 PM   #21
Rivet Master
It's not an Airstream and this is not my setup, but I think you get the point.

I had an FJ80 and towed a trailer with for many years with no problems, had the "Old Man EMU" Suspension setup on it. Heavy springs in the rear, medium springs in the front. Gave the truck a slight lift in the rear with no squat (leveled out) when 400lbs of trailer weight hooked up.

ARB Old Man Emu 4X4 SuspensionARB Old Man Emu 4X4 Suspension

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0106a.JPG
Views:	65
Size:	45.6 KB
ID:	256051  
Paul Waddell
rideair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 11:46 AM   #22
2 Rivet Member
2014 16' Sport
Denver , Colorado
Just adding to this thread. Love our LC 200 as a tow vehicle. Upgraded from the 4.7L V8 4Runner and it has made a world of difference. Comparing the 4.7 to the 5.7 is night and day. We tow at high elevation up steep hills and while we got a little bogged down in the 4Runner, the LC is hardly challenged at all.

SkyDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 07:06 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Castle Rock, CO & Boulder City, NV , CO/NV
1985 to 2008 Land Cruisers... keep under 23 feet if possible

I have owned a number of Land Cruisers from 1985 to 2008. They began to 'balloon' in size over the years and powered by the straight SIX, to the V-8 4.7L and today, the V-8 5.7L. The LC has plenty of towing power. But lacks cargo capability.

The Land Cruiser transmission is considered one of the world's best and the mechanics in the transmission business say if they had to depend on repairing those transmissions to make a living... they would be out of business.

Tire pressure on our current 2008, P275/65R18 LTX/AT2 Michelins recommended at 33psi and rated for 1230 pounds of cargo. I believe we are at 45psi.

I wanted the LT tires, but neither Costco or Toyota would install them and the P tires were considered the best we could do. Other than going somewhere else for tires, I am satisfied with the tires. A firm ride use to come with the LC, or at least the older models. This 2008 is a soft SUV all time 4x4 today and there has been no changes that I am aware up to date.

Pulling a trailer on flat terrain with the LC would never be an issue, but the cargo limitations is what would put a 'pinch' in your plans. There is a 2" hitch... but even I found it risky pulling our 23 footer at the time with the 2006 4.7L Tundra as the tow vehicle, but it did the job very well. I had to be very careful with the cargo on board.

Even the 2012 5.7L Tundra has just a couple hundred pounds more cargo maximum and I am sure towing the 25 foot Airstream... we were never 'under loaded'. Once on the road we never had a towing issue at any speed. The rear suspension would be at its limits and even with the Equalizer hitch getting the rear end up just a bit.

I had intended to use the LC towing East of the Front Range and our Tundra to tow West of the Front Range. That never happened. The Tundra was better suited for towing, but limited again by the cargo maximum.

A 23 foot would be the longest Airstream I would consider pulling with a 5.7L Land Cruiser. The LC was built to travel anywhere, through some of the worst snows around here you can imagine... but for towing, no suspension to support the cargo and tailer.

I recall fully loading the 1985 LC with the straight V8 camping in Utah. The engine would almost stall going up a steep grade, off road, and I would have to shift into LOW 4x4. The 5.7L would not hesitate.

It would be nice if you could use the LC for towing and for local driving, but after considering everything, I just could not follow through with the towing and local driving plan.

I waited for ten years for a 3/4 ton Tundra... and gave up waiting. I now have a F350 Ford diesel that will handle everything and more. My wife loves her LC and it will last as long as we live. It just will not be towing any of our Airstreams.
Human Bean
Ray Eklund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 10:41 AM   #24
Currently Looking...
Seattle , Washington
Thanks for the great information

I want to thank everyone for the LC information, especially the recent post from Rivet Master. My wife and I decided to purchase a used 2008, 5.7L LC this past spring and we have had great experiences towing our new Flying Cloud 23FB. I also decided that the 23 is as big as I would want to go with the LC. Since our purchase of the LC and the AS we have put on about 2,000 miles including a two-week trip from Seattle to Helena and Ennis, MT. On that trip we had a good chance to test our setup over several mountain passes, curving roads and in windy, rainy weather. Both the TV and the AS performed flawlessly. Further, since we live in the city of Seattle we are more comfortable with the LC as a second car than we would be with a pickup.

I agree that storage is limited in the LC versus a pickup. However, it also looks like we won't be doing much boon docking, so no need for a generator. So far, with just my wife, our 70-pound Lab and me we have plenty of room. And I still have the option of putting the rocket box on top of the LC, which I haven't needed so far. We are looking forward to a three-week, 2,300-mile trip to Montana, Reno and back along the Pacific Coast this fall.

SEA Cyclist is offline   Reply With Quote