Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-01-2010, 05:02 PM   #1
Antiquepedaler

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Laramie , Wyoming
Toyota FJ Cruiser as TV?

With a tow capacity of 5,000 lbs. A Toyota FJ Cruiser would have plenty of leeway to tote our 2,000 Bambi II. But I could use some personal observations about this vehicle as a TV. Like which options are helpful or not? Comfort over long miles? Fuel economy? I'm not having much luck with the search link.
Old 10-01-2010, 05:20 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1993 30' Excella
Lakeland , Florida
Thumbs up FJ Cruising

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antique Pedaler View Post
With a tow capacity of 5,000 lbs. A Toyota FJ Cruiser would have plenty of leeway to tote our 2,000 Bambi II. But I could use some personal observations about this vehicle as a TV. Like which options are helpful or not? Comfort over long miles? Fuel economy? I'm not having much luck with the search link.
Mine tows a 22 Argosy at 4,000 lbs loaded. I get 14-15mpg up and around Pennsylvania hills and 17 mpg on the flat lands.
I do keep the tires at 35psi all the time on the cruiser. I use a Reese dual cam setup and it's like it's not back there. Great TV for the 80% tow weight rule. Remember you have a single axle trailer so some type of anti-sway is recommended to keep the wiggle to a minimum.

Happy towing.
arcamedies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 05:47 PM   #3
Antiquepedaler

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Laramie , Wyoming
Toyota FC Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by arcamedies View Post
Remember you have a single axle trailer so some type of anti-sway is recommended to keep the wiggle to a minimum.

Happy towing.
Thanks! Already have the lite Equal-I-zer hitch setup for sway control. I got to thinking that an FJ Cruiser might be a little off roadish for some, but we'll be traveling many back country Forest Service and fire roads with this rig.
Old 10-01-2010, 09:08 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
The FJ would be the perfect rig for our lifestyle (as a second car), if the darn thing had a bit more stability on the highway. But have asked for advice here and all I get is promises of dire consequences. Am still tempted though.

Doug K
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 12:35 AM   #5
Aluminegg

2008 19' Safari SE
Vancouver 2010 , BC - The Best Place On Earth
I love my FJ and will happily use it to tow my 19ft Bambi for long weekend trips or shorter excursions, but as I live in BC (can you say "Mountains") , for longer trips we'll take the Chevy pick up, both for extra cargo and power on hills.
Airstreams are cool! Airstreams behind FJ's are that much more cooler!!
(cue Fonzie saying "Aaaaaae!")
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP5984.jpg
Views:	1030
Size:	278.8 KB
ID:	112119  
Moses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 07:45 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1993 30' Excella
Lakeland , Florida
FJ Stability

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
The FJ would be the perfect rig for our lifestyle (as a second car), if the darn thing had a bit more stability on the highway. But have asked for advice here and all I get is promises of dire consequences. Am still tempted though.

Doug K
Of all the negative posts I have seen on the FJ it was found the folks commenting never owned one. They surmised it towed poorly due to the wheelbase being a little shorter than their Ford or Chevy. There is a lot more to stability than length of a vehicle, wheelbase width, tire width road contact, and suspension come into play. Mine tows like it's on rails even in 35mph side gusts (interesting trip coming home from Florida with trees flailing about the airstream rounded design makes a difference).

When I MH'd for the last 7 years friends complained their rig was wearing them out always having to correct the wild wandering going down the highway. When I rode with them they were inducing 99% of the dancing the coach did. Many times I said let go of the wheel and the rig stopped the wild wiggle immediately, they overcorrected constantly.
Old 10-02-2010, 07:51 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

1993 30' Excella
Lakeland , Florida
Thumbs up Caravan Wally Style

Quote:
Thanks! Already have the lite Equal-I-zer hitch setup for sway control. I got to thinking that an FJ Cruiser might be a little off roadish for some, but we'll be traveling many back country Forest Service and fire roads with this rig.
Sounds like a fun Wally Byam Caravan, off the beaten track, I'm in
Old 10-03-2010, 04:21 PM   #8
Antiquepedaler

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Laramie , Wyoming
Question ??s for Arcamedies & Moses

What brand Class III hitch receiver, brake controller, and controller pigtail did you folks install? Also how or who did you have convert the power outlet from four to seven plug if your FJ had one, or just install a 7 plug?

Researching all these things I find that some hitch receivers require removing the sonar or back up TV equipment from the rear bumper or moving the exhaust pipe out of the way for installation. The wrong Toyota pigtail can result in the turn signals not working.

Too bad Toyota doesn't offer these things as options.
Old 10-04-2010, 03:30 AM   #9
4 Rivet Member

1993 30' Excella
Lakeland , Florida
Rivet Factory Accessories

Quote:
What brand Class III hitch receiver, brake controller, and controller pigtail did you folks install? Also how or who did you have convert the power outlet from four to seven plug if your FJ had one, or just install a 7 plug?

Researching all these things I find that some hitch receivers require removing the sonar or back up TV equipment from the rear bumper or moving the exhaust pipe out of the way for installation. The wrong Toyota pigtail can result in the turn signals not working.

Too bad Toyota doesn't offer these things as options.
Toyota does offer the bolt on hitch receiver, bolts to the frame cross box and comes with a new center panel moulded to go around the box. There is a 4 to 7 plug assembly available for the electrical connector, easy as pie and I used the Takonsha P3 unit for brakes.
Old 10-04-2010, 03:34 AM   #10
4 Rivet Member

1993 30' Excella
Lakeland , Florida
OOPs forgot the relay kit and fuses are also available to take care of the turn signals from the factory. Talk to any dealer parts department for the kits for the hitch.
Old 10-19-2010, 03:48 PM   #11
Antiquepedaler

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Laramie , Wyoming
We ended up installing a Draw Tite Class III receiver designed for the FJ and a Tekonsha Voyager brake controller. The 10-year-old Voyager on our pickup for the big trailers has always worked fine. The Toyota dealer chose to have our local RV dealer's service shop do the installations, including the 7 point wiring setup. So looks like we're ready to go.....as soon as the Bambi II is.
Old 11-02-2010, 04:23 PM   #12
Antiquepedaler

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Laramie , Wyoming
Just got the FJ Cruiser and the Bambi II close enough together for a photo. Bambi has a fresh coat of Zolatone and is waiting for a new floor covering.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FJ:Bambi II.jpg
Views:	260
Size:	400.2 KB
ID:	114325  
Old 11-02-2010, 06:02 PM   #13
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1954 22' Safari
Deerfield , Illinois
Send a message via AIM to bredlo
Another couple using your potential combo (FJ and a vintage Bambi) is Ranger Doug Leen, an artist from Alaska. He tows everywhere, and I've not read of any problems on his blog.

On the Road

Best of luck - looks like a great combo to me!