Old 11-27-2014, 09:20 AM   #15
Keen amature

1975 20' Argosy 20
Manston , Kent
It just doesn't make sense to me.....would they sell a truck as having a stereo when all it has is the wiring and connector so you can install your own?

I can understand if you are adding something aftermarket, but if they sell a truck advertised as having 7way factory tow package, fit up-rated alternator, additional cooling and a trans cooler, why not install the controller (incorporated in the dash, so you don't have something that looks like a after thought, bolted to the lower dash)? I can't understand why that isn't complete, and certainly why in my case the recommended not installing a controller.

My experience with the FJ is worse. I was looking at one fitted with a factory 7way factory tow package, but all it had was blinkers and lights, and a 7way hook-up was plugged into a 4way wiring loom. In the case of the FJ I was fortunate, I found it on a test drive - the dealer did look a little phased when I showed up to the test drive with my hauler (because of the previous situation I had with the Tacoma), and before I took the FJ off the lot I drove over the the hauler and tried the hook-up - we never left the lot. I left it that he would find out what was needed to get the 7way operational - he never called back.

martin300662 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 09:31 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
My suspicion is that a factory installed brake controller would not necessarily be what I would want. I use a Tekonsa P2 because I know it works. No clue as to built- in controllers in other vehicles or brands. I prefer to choose the brake controller that I like. In my view, being able to pick the controller, which cost about $140 new, is reasonable against the cost of the truck.

There are other threads I have seen that talk of assorted issues with built-in controllers with different brake setups. Electric over hydraulic comes to mind. I doubt the manufacturer of the TV is going to be able to pick the best solution in all combinations of TV and trailer...

Sent from my pocket Internet using Airstream Forums

'The Silver HamShack' (2007 International 22FB CCD 75th Aniversary model)
Multiple Yaesu Radios inside and many antennae sprouting from roof, ProPride hitch
2012 shortbed crewcab 4x4 Toyota Taco TV with more antennae on it
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 08:17 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member
2013 22' FB Sport
Wichita , Kansas
We tow our 22' sport with our 2010 FJ with no problems. We did, however, do quite a few mods to pull it safely. Stronger rear springs, brake controller, sway bar, and the wiring harness. Plus, I already had the factory tow package.
tallen5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 11:15 AM   #18
2 Rivet Member
1967 24' Tradewind
Greenville , North Carolina
Tallen5, what is the weight on your 22' sport?

I would like to hear more from people who are pulling with FJs. What is your experience? The vehicle is rated for 5000lb. I can't see why you can't pull up to that weight with the proper equipment: WDH, sway bar (even a cheap friction one) and a good brake controller. However... before I go out and buy one, I'd like to hear more from people who are actually doing it, rather than speculators or naysayers that haven't even done it!
retrocar66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 09:29 AM   #19
2 Rivet Member
2013 22' FB Sport
Wichita , Kansas
Fully loaded to the max, after fueling, and with our family of 4 in the car, we weighed in on the CAT scales at 5,860lbs for the FJ plus 3,460lbs for the trailer. The tongue weight of the trailer would've been indicated on the weight of the FJ. A few notes: Our FJ is much heavier than the average because it is equipped for off roading. It has aluminum skid plates and bumper, a large winch, air compressor, roof rack, and 10 ply tires. The normal FJ would probably weigh 400-500lbs less. To tow, we did the following mods: 895E coil springs (you'll have some sagging without them), Tekonsha brake controller, 10 ply tires, sway bar, and wiring harness. We do not use or have ever felt the need for a weight distributing hitch. I grew up pulling trailers, cars, boats, etc... and pulling the airstream with the FJ is no big deal with these mods. It has handled well in everything from turnpike travel to Colorado mountain roads. The guys on the FJ forum are great and there are several of us with Airstreams, if you've got questions. One thing I don't have, but that some guys added for towing is an OBDII to monitor transmission temperature. My FJ is a trail team edition with tow package, which comes with a transmission cooler, so I haven't felt the need for the OBDII. I've included a photo of my FJ and Airstream, pre-tire replacement. Feel free to ask or PM me with any questions. Happy to help a fellow FJ/Airstreamer!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20131005_100143.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	391.9 KB
ID:	229560  

tallen5 is offline   Reply With Quote