Old 05-26-2015, 10:44 AM   #43
3 Rivet Member
2008 25' International
Broomfield , Colorado
Originally Posted by Andrew T View Post

It should have the receiver reinforced and you should use a weight distribution system with it.
Andy / Andy -

Do you have specific information on how the receiver on a 2013+ RR should be re-inforced to support a tongue weight of ~750 lbs?

your advice / experience / guidance would be greatly appreciated.

wulfraat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2015, 06:48 AM   #44
4 Rivet Member
2015 25' FB International
Thanks everyone for the input here. With this advice, plus some received by private message, combined with hours and hours of research and interviews I have concluded the following:

The Range Range HSE 2015-2016 "dead hitch weight" is either 330 or 550 lbs depending on which model we're talking about. In either case, this is the limiting factor to using a Range Rover as a tow vehicle. Whether it's simply an intentionally low number used for certification purposes in Europe or because that truly all the manufacturer attorneys feel the vehicle can handle, it's almost irrelevant. Clearly it's capable of more than its published numbers because lots of people do it.

However, If you look at the dead hitch weight (tongue weight) capabilities of similar GM product, (Tahoe, Suburban, etc) the number is actually LOWER than the Range Rover at 500 lbs which suggests are better, stronger suspension capable of having more weight put on it.

The difference is that the GM product goes on to say that it's max tongue weight is 1000lbs when a weight distributing hitch is used. So theoretically, the same should be true on the Range Rover except that the owners manual specifically prohibits use of towing with the WD hitch. The reason for that is because of the super fancy ride leveling feature the Range Rover had and any outside influence on that feature would cause the system (a very expensive air suspension system) to "hunt" for the correct ride height while bouncing down the road.

For this reason, it seems almost "safer" to simply exceed the 550 (or 330lb) dead hitch weight but that would be a very bad idea with such nice and expensive equipment. It also begs the question whether your insurance company would cover you in the case of an accident.

In summary, my vote is "no." I will not be using a RR as a tow vehicle for my 25FB with a 800+ lb tongue weight.

chaseav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2015, 07:38 AM   #45
Some Guy

Nashville , Tennessee
I am happy to hear you have elected not to use the Range Rover to tow this vehicle.
I also reviewed the closed thread from 2014. Ironically, the person in that thread asked almost the same question as you, and simply wasn't happy with the questions.

I LOVE land rovers. See my user name: Nashrover (on other boards known as nashvillerover). I have owned or driven every model land rover ever made (at least one of each), including series trucks, Range Rover Classics to MKIII's, Disco I- LR4, and when I got the airstream, I sold my last land rover and purchased a Ford F250. When traveling with my family, safety and reliability is paramount. When you own a land rover, you understand that the lack of reliability comes with it. Even with my LR3 (the most reliable I ever owned), I had challenges, like an alarm system that had a mind of its own! But pair that truck with a trailer that pushes the upper limits of its tow capability, and you are asking for trouble. Will it tow it? Yes. Will it tow it with reliability and safety? Maybe. Is it worth the risk 'because you already have the truck'? NO!

In the end, people who are Land Rover people are passionate about the brand— as passionate as Airstream people are about Airstreams. But, I have known many who have argued the merits of Land Rovers, who after some cataclysmic failure, now would never own another. My last experience was this past year with a 2010 Range Rover MKIII. Transmission failed. $14,700 to replace the transmission (I have the receipt to prove it). Thankfully, having owned over 30 land rovers won me a good will warranty on the tranny through Land Rover North America. And what did I do? Immediately traded the truck for the F250.
I still love the brand, but just don't own one anymore. If I ever buy another, I always do so knowing the risk.
Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

D Jarrett

The Jarretts
Nashville, Tennessee
2015 25' Eddie Bauer
2015 F250 TV-Petrol
djarrett is offline   Reply With Quote