Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-10-2021, 09:21 AM   #201
2 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Walnut Creek , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebogiz View Post
Just returned from Florida to NY towing our 2021 23' Globetrotter with our 2008 Range Rover HSE. Round trip was 3,000 miles. The Rover performed incredibly well. Weight distribution system and sway bar is not recommended since it can create an issue with the Rover's air suspension system so I towed without it. Kept my speed between 60 to 65mph and when approached 70mph would experience so sway issue so had to back off on speed. If you have anymore questions or need more input don't hesitate to ask.
By the way the max. tow capacity on our Rover is 7700 lbs. with a tongue weight of 770. The 23' Globetrotter is the maximum size AS the Rover can handle.
Thanks for sharing your experience. I am curious as to which hitch do you use? Also, have you ever taken the rig to the CAT Scale? I would be curious to see the numbers with a 23FB especially with non-WD hitch. Are you able to stay within the rear GAVW rating? It certainly seems possible in theory, given the low tongue weight if the 23FB. We are willing to downsize to 23FB if the RR+23FB setup would work better.
2012 Mercedes GL450
AShar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 07:19 AM   #202
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

2019 27' Tommy Bahama
London , Ontario
Hi Ashar

We have setup many RR and I can send you the detail of how to do it correctly. It is almost impossible to get a good setup with air suspension with the Equalizer as you cannot fine tune the weight transfer enough. As well my personal tow vehicle for the last 14 years have been Jaguar XJ's which have the same suspension with a tighter tune.

If you like send me an email andy@canamrv.ca and I can send the information. There is a video on our website as well that goes over the process with a spring vehicle. With air suspension it is similar but changes slightly.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Jag flying cloud004 (Medium).JPG
Views:	40
Size:	194.7 KB
ID:	395270  

"One test is worth a thousand expert opinions."
Tex Johnston, Boeing 707 test pilot
Andrew T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 07:42 AM   #203
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

2019 27' Tommy Bahama
London , Ontario
I forgot the link to the hitch setup video. It's the first one on this page.

Andy

https://www.canamrv.ca/towing-expertise/videos/

"One test is worth a thousand expert opinions."
Tex Johnston, Boeing 707 test pilot
Andrew T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 10:19 AM   #204
2 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew T View Post
Hi Ashar

We have setup many RR and I can send you the detail of how to do it correctly. It is almost impossible to get a good setup with air suspension with the Equalizer as you cannot fine tune the weight transfer enough. As well my personal tow vehicle for the last 14 years have been Jaguar XJ's which have the same suspension with a tighter tune.

If you like send me an email andy@canamrv.ca and I can send the information. There is a video on our website as well that goes over the process with a spring vehicle. With air suspension it is similar but changes slightly.
Thanks Andy! I just sent you an email with all the details. I greatly appreciate your help.
2012 Mercedes GL450
Old 05-17-2021, 02:06 AM   #205
2 Rivet Member

2017 23' International
Currently Looking...
Winter Park , Florida
I found these Sway Bracket Jackets that are designed to reduce / eliminate the noise created by wear on the Equal-i-zer WD hitches:

https://www.equalizerhitch.com/store...et-jacket-pair

I will give them a try on my next trip.

- Mike
mwodzinski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2021, 08:30 PM   #206
2 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwodzinski View Post
I found these Sway Bracket Jackets that are designed to reduce / eliminate the noise created by wear on the Equal-i-zer WD hitches:

https://www.equalizerhitch.com/store...et-jacket-pair

I will give them a try on my next trip.

- Mike
Yes, I have been using these for a couple of years, these work great, but only to certain extent.
2012 Mercedes GL450
Old 09-06-2021, 08:27 AM   #207

Currently Looking...
Dallas , Texas
recently purchased a '22 Disco (360 R-Dynamic) and am new to all of this. We're generally interested in a 25FB but also are very confused over the tongue weight limitations (is it 330, 770, 820?) - a local AS dealer strongly recommended a Blue Ox WD hitch, but also seeing some debate over that in these forums.
so any guidance and recommendations are appreciated.
BlacMacJac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2021, 08:38 AM   #208
3 Rivet Member

2018 23' Flying Cloud
Park City , Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlacMacJac View Post
recently purchased a '22 Disco (360 R-Dynamic) and am new to all of this. We're generally interested in a 25FB but also are very confused over the tongue weight limitations (is it 330, 770, 820?) - a local AS dealer strongly recommended a Blue Ox WD hitch, but also seeing some debate over that in these forums.
We have a 2019 RR Sport TD6. I did a ton of research and ended up with the Pro-Pride 3P hitch, which I can't recommend enough. It's expensive, but worth it IMO, especially with a tow vehicle like a Range Rover or a Discovery that sits lower in the rear.
switters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2021, 01:56 PM   #209
Site Team

2017 30' International
Broomfield , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlacMacJac;

25FB has ~1000lb tongue weight in reality - too much for the receiver on your disco. Your dealer apparently only cares about selling you a trailer, not about your safety. I’d look at a 23 or under.

Look on the forum there have been accounts of receiver failure on discos (albeit LR3/4).
wulfraat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2021, 02:12 PM   #210
2 Rivet Member

2023 23' Flying Cloud
Branson West , Missouri
As a recovering Land Rover owner, are you sure you didn't mean "towing a Land Rover"? As delicate as these are mechanically and expensive to fix, there is no way I'd want the headaches the added stress of towing will do to an already trouble-prone vehicle. Is it too late to trade it for a Toyota Land Cruiser or Sequoia? Good luck. I was so tired of running mine to the dealer every other month..... happy day when I was able to unload it....
Tablerocked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2021, 04:26 PM   #211
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tablerocked View Post
As a recovering Land Rover owner, are you sure you didn't mean "towing a Land Rover"? As delicate as these are mechanically and expensive to fix, there is no way I'd want the headaches the added stress of towing will do to an already trouble-prone vehicle. Is it too late to trade it for a Toyota Land Cruiser or Sequoia? Good luck. I was so tired of running mine to the dealer every other month..... happy day when I was able to unload it....

"The Land Rover Range Rover Reliability Rating is 2.0 out of 5.0, which ranks it 15th out of 19 for luxury fullsize SUVs. The average annual repair cost is $1,258 which means it has poor ownership costs."

Bob
🇺🇸
Old 09-06-2021, 05:11 PM   #212

Currently Looking...
Dallas , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by wulfraat View Post
25FB has ~1000lb tongue weight in reality - too much for the receiver on your disco. Your dealer apparently only cares about selling you a trailer, not about your safety. I’d look at a 23 or under.
tbf, the dealer did not specifically recommend the WD hitch for any specific model.

the AS documentation says a the various 25FB differ in hitch weight, but I've seen none that exceed 900 - can you please expound on your "~1K in reality"? If there's additional info I should know, I'd could use it. thanks.
BlacMacJac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2021, 05:36 PM   #213
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Welcome Aboard 👍

Quote:
tbf, the dealer did not specifically recommend the WD hitch for any specific model.

the AS documentation says a the various 25FB differ in hitch weight, but I've seen none that exceed 900 - can you please expound on your "~1K in reality"? If there's additional info I should know, I'd could use it. thanks.

The google has your answer....

Your welcome...

Bob
🇺🇸
Old 09-07-2021, 01:54 AM   #214
2 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Quote:
Here's a screenshot from Range Rover's website, so it's 770# for trailers with brakes. We have a 2021 RR HSE Diesel, and we currently tow a 25FB with it. I have done a few posts on this topic, the gist is that it can be done, but it can get tiring. You have to fine tune your hitch, watch how you load your trailer, keep your tanks empty, and so on. We are using EAZ Elite Hitch on Andy's(CanAm) recommendation. It's doing a great job so far. I go to CAT Scales before every trip, and I have managed to stay within specs for GVWR and GAWR, but I don't have a 1000# buffer in GVWR and GAWR like you could get with a 3/4 ton. Feel free to DM me if you have any specific questions.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2021-09-07 at 12.40.21 AM.png
Views:	33
Size:	70.8 KB
ID:	403575  
2012 Mercedes GL450
Old 09-07-2021, 09:22 AM   #215
4 Rivet Member

2015 30' Classic
Sherwood , Oregon
Quote:

We towed a 25 FB 2014 International Serenity with a 2008 Range Rover HSE for two years with 833 lbs tongue weight and Blue Ox with 1,000 lbs bars. The hitch on the RR is a Westfalia with a rating of 777 lbs. The Rover handled it fine as long as you accept that you will be taking a long uphill grade in 5th or 4th gear and downhill in the rain with curves can be a bit white knuckle as you can feel the AS pushing you around a bit. Also, I began to sense the transmission shifting a bit differently when not under load. We ended up upgrading to an F350 diesel. We still have the Rover with 136K miles and the only repairs have been replacing the suspension compressor, one leveling sensor and driver's seat heating/cooling module. Still love the RR. Good luck.
Old 09-08-2021, 05:05 AM   #216
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB International
Quote:
I own a 2020 LR Disco with gas engine and a International Signature 25FB (for sale by the way!) and would NOT tow with it. I consider by tongue weight capacity to be 820 but getting there with the 25FB would require removal of one of the two propane tanks. Not a big deal. If I were able to get an actual tongue weight measurement, I might get okay with it, but have not way to do that. The LR Disco is an amazing vehicle but it is NOT overpowered and going up hills… that’s a lot to ask.
chaseav is offline   Reply With Quote