Old 12-23-2014, 12:15 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2013 28' Flying Cloud
Central , Saskatchewan
Quote:
Originally Posted by rostam View Post
Here are the year, name, length, dry weight, and dry hitch weight for various bath configurations:

1975, SOVEREIGN INTERNATIONAL LY, 31, REAR BATH TWIN, 5035, 490
1975, SOVEREIGN INTERNATIONAL LY, 31, REAR BATH DOUBLE, 5065, 495
1975, SOVEREIGN INTERNATIONAL LY, 31, CENTER BATH TWIN, 4975, 650
1975, SOVEREIGN INTERNATIONAL LY, 31, CENTER BATH DOUBLE, 4970, 690
These weights make a lot more sense.....

Old 12-23-2014, 12:47 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
If in the bc, you have mountains and are underpowered,if on flat land in the Midwest states, border line, I know, been there and done that.....

Old 12-23-2014, 03:18 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

1978 Argosy 24
1977 Argosy 28
Vintage Kin Owner
Darrington , Washington
Having lived in the Seattle area for over 35 years, I can tell you the I-5 traffic is usually a mess. If you are coming from the north and wish to avoid downtown Seattle, take I 405. Its a bypass around Seattle to the Renton Tukwila area. If you are going to the Olympic Peninsula, you can either take several ferries ( expensive with a trailer but worth the view) or you can drive around through Tacoma.

Enjoy your trip.
Old 12-23-2014, 11:02 PM   #18
Regular Guy

1978 31' Sovereign
Hot Springs , Arkansas
I have to agree with everyone here....Your truck will pull and stop it fine, just go a little slower. If you decide to go with a bigger TV, engine torque and final drive gearing are everything. We have some steep areas around here and the Yukon 5.3 L is adequate. If my destination is a little more demanding, out comes the Ford F Superduty with the 460 and 5.38:1 rear. In first gear I can idle up a mountain pass. We love our Sovereign. You will love yours too.
Old 01-09-2015, 05:59 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member

2007 27' Classic FB
Bellingham , Washington
We tow a 2007 27' FB Classic with a 2009 F-150 King Ranch 5.4L with tow package. We live in Bellingham, WA and have driven from here to Iowa on I-80 and I-90 3 times, over the Big Horns in Wyoming, Lookout Pass and 4th of July Pass in Idaho. We've done 2 trips across the North Cascades Hwy. We have also covered a significant stretch of Hwy 1 in N. Cal. Very happy with the performance of the TV! Learned early on to gear down on descents and not ride the brakes. I remember reading on the Fprum early on to slow down and and not to feel pressured by other aggressive drivers. Only disappointment has been 11 mpg. With gas at $2/gal, that's not as big a deal today. Heading to Tucson next Tuesday via Sun Valley!
Old 01-09-2015, 06:09 PM   #20

2017 26' Flying Cloud
1976 Argosy 28
Alamo Heights , Texas
As long as you're not squeamish about letting the truck downshift and turn the higher RPMs it needs to make its peak output, it'll do it. You'll likely do better than mine since you have the 6-speed automatic, towing over the continental divide my '07 with the 4-speed auto settles in around 45 mph in 2nd, wide open. And it doesn't overheat the transmission or the truck, by the way, though the transmission temp does go up.

If there's nothing wrong with your truck, set it up right and tow for a while to see if the performance is satisfactory for you. The best financial choice is always to "run what you brung" if you can, rather than buying some new depreciation.

Zero Gravitas 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | Il Progetto 1976 Argosy 28 Center Bath | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 05:17 PM   #21

Currently Looking...
Lenexa , Kansas
Peak torque RPM is more important. So you don't have the transmission "hunting" gears all the time, find peak torque in your owner's manual. If you have to be the first to the top, then it's pedal-to-the-metal and you mileage takes a big dip!
Old 01-10-2015, 05:51 PM   #22
Rivet Master

I live in the mountains of Colorado much like the mountains of British Columbia.
I have a 3/4th ton tow vehicle and a 25 foot 6300 lb gross vehicle weight trailer. I have towed bigger trailers with smaller trucks.
7,300 empty seems high for a vintage trailer but if rig does weigh that much, you are going be over 8,000 loaded with close to a 1000 pound tongue weight. I would tow it a few miles to and from the lake with a half tonner but wouldn't consider a trucklet for long range towing.
I don't mind roaring up the hill in second or third gear but I really hate getting pushed on steep downhill turns and that smell of burning brakes at the bottom.
I like being able to drive with a 25 mph cross wind or get passed by an 80 mph semi and not notice a thing.
I try not to drive in snow ever, but if I am caught in it (and that is a possibility where I live even in the summer), I don't want a marginal tow vehicle.
I like being able to drive 300 miles in the mountains and arrive at my destination without a big knot between my shoulders.
Since you already have your truck and trailer, hitch it up and see what you think. If you feel as I do, you can always get another truck.
Old 01-11-2015, 10:43 AM   #23
gpt
4 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
sequim , Washington
i have to agree with HANDN about shooting to small on the truck front. i have to wonder if folks who purchase 1/2 ton trucks have had experience with trucks in the past. i know the 1/2 tons i have owned, Ford and Toyota, didn't have the suspension to be able to cope with big trailers, and that with the tow packages. sagging the rear of the truck, maybe that is mitigated to some extent with a weight distribution hitch, is not a great idea. i think the other thing i read is lots of folks with 2 wheel drive trucks. out this way, that is not a very good idea unless you are committed to the interstates and to the big paved snowbird campgrounds of AZ and NM.

if i were not hauling a 10k boat and trailer as well as the AS, i would seriously consider going back to a 1/2 ton. but with long distance towing in mind, what i thought was going to be overkill, has turned into a decision i am happy with. the 1 ton Ford diesel handles the mountain passes and narrow 2 lane roads of WA with ease and gets OK fuel mileage in the process. the notorious side winds of the Columbia gorge were hardly noticed save the trees bent to the ground.

sometimes bigger is better.
Old 01-11-2015, 10:59 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
You got it right in my opinion !l
Old 01-11-2015, 12:34 PM   #25

2017 26' Flying Cloud
1976 Argosy 28
Alamo Heights , Texas
Towing with my F150 5.4

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpt View Post
i have to agree with HANDN about shooting to small on the truck front. i have to wonder if folks who purchase 1/2 ton trucks have had experience with trucks in the past. i know the 1/2 tons i have owned, Ford and Toyota, didn't have the suspension to be able to cope with big trailers, and that with the tow packages. sagging the rear of the truck, maybe that is mitigated to some extent with a weight distribution hitch, is not a great idea. i think the other thing i read is lots of folks with 2 wheel drive trucks. out this way, that is not a very good idea unless you are committed to the interstates and to the big paved snowbird campgrounds of AZ and NM.

if i were not hauling a 10k boat and trailer as well as the AS, i would seriously consider going back to a 1/2 ton. but with long distance towing in mind, what i thought was going to be overkill, has turned into a decision i am happy with. the 1 ton Ford diesel handles the mountain passes and narrow 2 lane roads of WA with ease and gets OK fuel mileage in the process. the notorious side winds of the Columbia gorge were hardly noticed save the trees bent to the ground.

sometimes bigger is better.

You may wonder all you like, but I for one have been around trucks large and small since before I had a driver's license, I chose a half ton for towing the Argosy that exceeds my needs in nearly every way and meets them in extreme cases like crossing the Divide. I have no need of a 5 lb sledge to set finishing nails.

My truck doesn't "sag" much even without the weight bars set. I also find that there are many thousands of miles of well-paved roads in this country that are not Interstates and many wonderful remote campsites that are accessible with 2wd. I just don't have the extra requirements you do (the large boat you mentioned, eg) that would demand the HD capabilities.

I'm sure your F350 is a fine truck for you and wouldn't begrudge you the advantages of its abilities, but my F150 takes us camping just fine. Sometimes bigger is unnecessary, and it's possible to say "I like my F350" without leaving the impression that those who made another choice are in error.

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums

Zero Gravitas 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | Il Progetto 1976 Argosy 28 Center Bath | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 01:16 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Our Airstream is heavier than the OP's and we have towed it throughout this country several times in all types of terrain and weather with our ram 1/2 ton 5.7. Pay attention to axle and tire load ratings when loading. No problems whatsoever unless you call using the transmission climbing and descending hills trouble.

I do recommend the Hensley/ProPride type hitch with it for ride, driving comfort, handling and safety a heavy pickup cannot match.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 08:16 AM   #27
gpt
4 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
sequim , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKB_SATX View Post
Sometimes bigger is unnecessary, and it's possible to say "I like my F350" without leaving the impression that those who made another choice are in error.

sorry if i left the wrong impression. having had a PU as my second or third vehicle since 1970, now on my 12th, i was simply mussing about experiences of folks here on this forum. i don't believe there is an 'error' to be made in selection so long as you pay attention to load capabilities. but as i said, air bags in every 1/2 ton were necessary for the towing i had to accomplish. not a big thing but something that surprised me the first time i had to go down this path, torsion axle trailers like to be level.

i have never owned a PU of the size of my present one, all 1/2 tons save 2 3/4 tons, but i am astonished at the differences from ALL of the previous PU's that i have owned. and given the rather primitive campgrounds we find ourselves enjoying, four wheel drive was a must. no modifications to the suspension and this newest of the Ford diesels, 6.7, is going to rival the classic 7.3.

contrast all of this with my neighbor who tows with a Tundra two wheel drive and a 30' AS, coast to coast. as i said, there are no errors, just preferences.
Old 01-12-2015, 03:56 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Garden Valley , Idaho
I know of many 1/2 ton PU owners that add a set of Firestone air bags to the rear springs for more stability and to also level the bed/trailer when the bed is also loaded. For $300+ dollars, it is an inexpensive safeguard and makes the entire rig more level and easier to handle.

2002 Airstream Classic 30' w/SO #2074
2007 Kubota 900 RTV
1996 Ford Bronco
2007 Lincoln LT
pappy19 is offline   Reply With Quote