Old 07-08-2015, 08:54 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2002 19' Bambi
Lafayette , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmlacroix View Post
Rule of thumb out here in the mountains is take 1k lbs off the max tow capacity of your vehicle to start. You are pushing safety limits with a trailer that big, behind the JGC.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWCHIEF View Post
Careful with that speed. Your tires have a max speed rating of 65. Would not want to hear tale of a blow out and hear it blamed on the tires.
Where does the 1000 pound rule of thumb come from? Jeep shows the towing capacity of the 2015 Grand Cherokee diesel to be 7,400 pounds without any mention of reducing that for a mountainous area.

Those of us who have changed to Michelin tires are not limited to a 65 mph speed rating. I happen to drive 65 or below because of fuel consumption, not tire speed rating (well, speed limits do come into play!).

Tim

Old 07-08-2015, 09:28 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1996 34' Excella
Elberta , Alabama
I would hope that at some point in time the "common sense" factor would come into play in regards to speed. Regardless of the "tow rating", "speed rating", and all the other stuff I read here by the "experts".

There is a point where responsible RVer's would realize the limits of their and their equipments abilities.

I'm not going to get into a pissing match and tell you my experience level, but chance are whatever the situation, I've probably seen it, or experienced it.

Usually, too much speed, or too much trailer for too small a tow vehicle, and an improperly adjusted hitch, and a lot of over confidence is what leads to a really bad experience. When all of these things come together, it will happen so fast you probably won't have a fast enough reaction time to prevent the inevitable.

Take it for what it's worth.

Larry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim A. View Post
Where does the 1000 pound rule of thumb come from? Jeep shows the towing capacity of the 2015 Grand Cherokee diesel to be 7,400 pounds without any mention of reducing that for a mountainous area.

Those of us who have changed to Michelin tires are not limited to a 65 mph speed rating. I happen to drive 65 or below because of fuel consumption, not tire speed rating (well, speed limits do come into play!).

Tim

1996 34' Excella 1000, interior totally redone, 2003 Dodge/Cummins HO, U.S. Gear exhaust brake, Diablo tuner, 115 gallon aux fuel, Bedslide, Airsafe/Reese Dual Cam, and a bunch of other stuff
Larry C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 11:21 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
Let's see how it does with the trailer going from Montrose, Colorado up to Uray then up to Silverton and Durango , these are mountain areas.......
Old 07-10-2015, 01:41 PM   #18
3 Rivet Member

2008 19' Bambi
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWCHIEF View Post
Careful with that speed. Your tires have a max speed rating of 65. Would not want to hear tale of a blow out and hear it blamed on the tires.
I am running a set of Carlise Radial Trail RH Trailer Tire ST225/75r15 that has load rating of E and a speed rating of R. The R rating has a max speed of 106mph.
Old 07-10-2015, 02:01 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2011 23' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by mok View Post
Anyone know if I can tow a International 27 with the Jeep Grand Cherokee 3.0 Liter Eco Diesel in the mountains out west. Would I need a Hensley or Pro Ride?
I tow our FC23FB with a Jeep Grand Cherokee 3.0 Liter Eco Diesel and Equalizer hitch, and after 44,000 miles I remain very confident and satisfied in it's capabilities and performance. I think that you would exceed the tongue weight capability with the 27, however, and I personally would not make that choice, though others have done so. Those heavy hitches are no silver bullet for overloading.

Safe Travels,
JamuJoe
JamuJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 02:12 PM   #20

2017 26' Flying Cloud
1976 Argosy 28
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by c177tx View Post
I am running a set of Carlise Radial Trail RH Trailer Tire ST225/75r15 that has load rating of E and a speed rating of R. The R rating has a max speed of 106mph.
I'm pretty sure the only R rating on your tires is the designation for Radial. I do note that Amazon lists them as having an "R" speed rating, but they don't specialize in tires. TireRack and DiscountTire both list what I've long understood to be the case with ST tires, "Industry standards dictate tires with the ST designation are speed rated to 65 MPH (104 km/h) under normal inflation and load conditions." (quoted from TireRack.com)

That blurb also states that GY Marathons and Power King Towmax ST tires can be run up to 75 mph with an extra 10 psi of cold inflation pressure, which is surprising to me. I've never seen that claimed for STs before.

Zero Gravitas 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | Il Progetto 1976 Argosy 28 Center Bath | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 08:55 AM   #21
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
The higher speed has to do with loading vs pressure. The GYM has always had such a note in company literature. We brought it up around here in 2008 or 2009.
Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 09:16 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Hitch (tongue) weight is manageable. Most of us who tow with SUVs, 1/2 ton trucks, and front drive vans deal with it.

Airstream says to never let it exceed 1,000 lbs in the Owners Manual, so that should be a goal no matter what you tow with. Use a fully capable weight distribution hitch, load the Airstream evenly front-to-back and side-to-side, and load the tow vehicle lightly keeping heavy items forward of the rear axle.

If that's not enough to get hitch (tongue) weight down (but at least 10% of trailer weight for stability), relocate batteries aft, interior mods, consider the actual need for the spare trailer tire.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 06:50 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2009 25' FB International
Hanover , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
Hitch (tongue) weight is manageable. Most of us who tow with SUVs, 1/2 ton trucks, and front drive vans deal with it.

Airstream says to never let it exceed 1,000 lbs in the Owners Manual, so that should be a goal no matter what you tow with. Use a fully capable weight distribution hitch, load the Airstream evenly front-to-back and side-to-side, and load the tow vehicle lightly keeping heavy items forward of the rear axle.

If that's not enough to get hitch (tongue) weight down (but at least 10% of trailer weight for stability), relocate batteries aft, interior mods, consider the actual need for the spare trailer tire.
Just curious approximately how much a spare tire weighs. Anyone know?

Do you run without a spare?
Old 07-15-2015, 04:38 AM   #24
2 Rivet Member

Castle Rock , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim A. View Post

Tim
That 7400lbs is for 2wd, a full tank of fuel and one 180lb person. 4WD is 7200. The mountain passes are high and many are steep.